Which on walls? Monitor Audio Shadow 50 vs PSB Imagine W1 vs Golden Ear SuperSat 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I’m looking for recommendations to help choose On-Wall speakers for my home theatre. Reccomendations? Alternatives?

Top choices so far with anticipated pricing: Monitor Audio Shadow 50 ($625), PSB Imagine W1 ($600) and Golden Ear SuperSat 50 ($500). I’m looking for good pricing in/around Calgary, Alberta, Canada or online.

I’ll likely buy the manufacturer’s recommended sub to pair with whichever on-walls are purchased. The Monitor Audio and GoldenEar options have smaller speakers within their respective lines I may use for rear/surrounds to save $ and because their mounting locations are quite close to the seating. Thus, the PSB option should be more expensive.

The GoldenEars have a better low frequency range, does this matter as I will have a sub? The Monitor Audios are thinner, are they too thin to produce good sound?

There is a very very very slim chance I will hear the Monitor Audio speakers before buying. The GoldenEar and PSB will definitely not be around for me to pre-audition or even see. My setup is used for about 70% movies, 20% TV and 10% games.

Room configuration and Wall Mounting Locations: 11 feet wide, 22 feet long, where part of right wall is open to another part of the house. I sit 12 feet from the screen because 22 feet away is too far and at 12 feet from the screen, there are rear/surround wall mounting locations directly right and left of the audience on the pillar shaped part of the wall. There are L/C/R mounting locations just below the screen.

Room Pictures – Speakers first, fireplace surround next.

Current Equipment:

Projector – Optoma HD33

Receiver – Pioneer vsx-1122

Screen – 92 inch EluneVision reference widescreen, rated to 4k resolution

LG Blue ray player, Shaw HD cable box, WD media player…

My options thus far:

1)     GoldenEar – SuperSat 50

Cabinet is constructed from piano-gloss-black-finished aerospace-grade aluminum

Dimensions: 26-3/4˝ H (W) x 4-3/4˝ W (H) x 2-1/2˝ D

Frequency Response: 60 Hz - 35 kHz

Efficiency: 92 dB

Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms

Driver Complement: Two - 4-1/2˝ High-Definition Cast-Basket Multi-Vaned Phase Plug design (MVPP™) Mid/Bass Drivers. One - HVFR™ High-Velocity Folded Ribbon Tweeter. Two - 4˝ x 7˝ Quadratic Planar Low-Frequency (passive) Radiators.

Recommended Amplification: 20 - 200 watt/channel

2)     PSB – Imagine W1

Cabinet: Aluminium. MDF baffle mounts. Cloth covered metal grille. Finish – high gloss black

Frequency Response: 90 Hz – 23 kHz

Sensitivity: 87dB Anechoic Chamber

Driver Compliment: Tweeter: 1” titanium dome with ferro-fluid. 2x 4” clay/ceramic reinforced polypropylene cone, rubber surround. 2x 4”? passive base radiator.

Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms (6 ohm min)

Input power: Recommended 10-80 Watts, Program 60 Watts

Crossover: 2300Hz LR4

Internal Volume: 0.1 cubic feet (2.9 Liters)

Dimensions: 27  9/16 ( H)  x  5 ½ (W) x 3 (D) inches

Weight: 9.33lb (4.24kg)

3)     Monitor Audio – Shadow 50

Frequency Response: 80Hz – 30kHz

Sensitivity: 87 dB

System Configuration: 2-Way

Driver Compliment: 2 x 4" flat diaphragm mid-bass drivers feature a flat RDT® sandwich diaphragm constructed from C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminium/Magnesium) and Rohacell materials. 2 x 4" flat diaphragm ABR (passive) drivers 1 x 25mm C-CAM® tweeter with vented loading system

Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

Maximum SPL (each @1M): 108.6 dBA

Power Handling 120 watts with amplifier cross over set to 80Hz@12dB/Octave

Recommended Amplifier Requirements: 40-120 watts

Bass Alignment ABR loading

Recommended H.P. Crossover frequency: 80-100Hz

Dimensions: 27 (H) x 6-3/16 (W) x 1 ½  (D) inches

Weight: 3.24kg (7lb, 2oz)

Looking to purchase in 1-2 months, I’ll update the thread when I do.

Can you recommend any alternative speaker choices?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still interested in recommendations, thanks!
post #3 of 13 Old 01-18-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe the best looking speaker. Has anybody heard the Monitor Audio Shadow 50 or PSB Imagine W1 or Golden Ear SuperSat 50?
post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would take a look at the Def Tech Mythos 10 before all those......
post #5 of 13 Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I had considered the DT Mythos 10, but found the thickness to be higher than what I wanted. I'm sure they sound great.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of going for the monitor audio shadows. They seem to have a long reputation as does PSB. The monitor Audio's also have a proprietary driver construction which some detail is given on. PSB appears to be a good choice also.
Any recommendations of the 3 I have narrowed down to?
post #7 of 13 Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the Monitor Audio 50's for LCR, Monitor Audio Sub and then Monitor Audio In Ceiling speakers. I can't say I am an expert in audio but I compared these to the Triad and Goldenear and liked the sound and the look of the Monitor Audio better than any of the others. I also found a dealer that was excellent to work with and shipped to my house for a very reasonable price since I didn't have a dealer in Raleigh.

Let me know if you have any questions I can answer. My build thread is at:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399811/lake-house-basement-need-fresh-ideas
post #8 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, this really helps out!
post #9 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
+1 For the Mythos 10. Full sounding wall-mount speakers. They may be a little thicker, but the sound is great...
post #10 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sure the mythos 10 sounds great. I had looked at them online and they appear great. I could even handle the ~4 inch thickness (IIRC) but they are priced at $1200 over here in Canada, which is more than I am willing to spend.

Can anyone compare the monitor audio Radius series, the newly released 225 looks like a good choice, maybe 5 of those or 3 plus another 2 from the line (radius 90) for surrounds? All the info I have found on the radius family is encouraging, but is this with respect to price? Are the Monitor audio shadows, PSB Imagine W1 and golden ear super sat 50 in another league all together? I know they all have aluminum cabinets vs traditional for the radius series. Maybe the radius series has less cabinet volume? Maybe this doesn't even matter?
post #11 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman View Post
I'm sure the mythos 10 sounds great. I had looked at them online and they appear great. I could even handle the ~4 inch thickness (IIRC) but they are priced at $1200 over here in Canada, which is more than I am willing to spend.

Can anyone compare the monitor audio Radius series, the newly released 225 looks like a good choice, maybe 5 of those or 3 plus another 2 from the line (radius 90) for surrounds? All the info I have found on the radius family is encouraging, but is this with respect to price? Are the Monitor audio shadows, PSB Imagine W1 and golden ear super sat 50 in another league all together? I know they all have aluminum cabinets vs traditional for the radius series. Maybe the radius series has less cabinet volume? Maybe this doesn't even matter?
Did you make a decision? I am currently in the same situation
post #12 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Mythos XTR-50 might be a good compromise. Where will these be mounted? I don't see a good placement for them in these pictures.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskirsh View Post
Did you make a decision? I am currently in the same situation
Yes! I did. I bought 5 identical Monitor Audio 225 speakers and am very impressed and fully satisfied. Nice crisp highs, clear audio and very respectable bass. I made the right choice. The Monitor audio Shaddows wouldn't fit in my room and lack cabinet volume so I took them off my list.

I was disrespected by the PSB dealer in Calgary because I "only" wanted to spend $3000 on speakers, I was literally told that they can't help me. I was also told I wasn't going to get a chance to see or hear them as none have been ordered in and none will be.

I did actually listen to the definitive tech xtr-50 on walls. They realy didn't have much low end at all so I figure they weren't the best for home theatre. From my amateur assessment of frequency response graphs of many speakers, the thin on wall speakers had a narrower and less flat frequency response.

The triad dealer was very pleasent to chat to but the speakers (on wall micro sat) are not the right choice for the job as there is only one 3 inch woofer in the cabinet, they are not visually apealing to my eye.

The golden ear super sat series - only the larger cabinets are made of aluminum, the smallest are an other material I can't quite recall.

Ideally what I wanted was 5 identical on wall speakers for all audio duty in my house, focused on watching movies in my modest theatre. I got exactly what I wanted and all the time and research was worth it. I have to thank this forum for the advice, information and choices! I would have paid more and got less if not for this forum so thanks AVS forum!

I have matched the speakers with a SVS SB-2000 sub (bought from sonic boom audio in Canada - GREAT PEOPLE!) and am fully satisfied with the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Am5092 A Monitor50 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry Each
Gear in this thread