AVS Forum banner
1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  defmoot 
#1 ·

Hi all,

I've ordered last week a second pair of B&W's 685 speakers I would like to use as surround speakers. The problem is that my dealer is not sure he will get these from B&W. It's possible they will discontinue the 600 series. They have been making them now for already 6 years...

I purchased my first pair of 685 speakers 2 years ago and I'm still very happy with them. Thats also the reason I would like to buy them today as surround speakers. But now I've heard they will possibly come up with a new serie I might rather wait some weeks? Is anyone aware there could be a new serie coming up?

Should I go for another pair of 685's or should I wait till a new serie comes up? And if I wait for the new series, is it advised to match speakers from 2 different series as surround speakers in a home theater?

Thanks in advance! 

Greets,

See less See more
#3 ·

Thanks! Would it be worth to pay 800$ more for B&W 683's if my room is 21 x 24 feet? Speakers are driven by a Marantz sr5008. Sub is a ASW610.

When I auditioned them I didn't felt a huge difference between them which is worth the price difference... Maybe because the 683's were brand new and had not played enough?

This is a picture how my setup looks now. 

Just not sure if it's worth buying 683's as front speakers or 685's for surround speakers...

#6 ·

@commsysman: Thanks for the tip! I had no clue floorstanders could have some issues on hard wooden floor. :)

@adupree: Yes, I think to buy another 685 as center speaker because I didn't heard anything good with the dedicated 600 center speakers. But I have to figure out if it will be a problem if the 685 (center speaker) is not at the same height as the two front speakers... Aesthetically I do prefer a horizontal placed center speaker instead of vertical.

Anyway tomorrow another visit at the b&w shop, I hope they can order/deliver them asap due to the "discontinue" issue

Greets!

#7 ·
686's would make very nice surrounds in your setup.

The open space below your TV is somewhat unique. It allows you to overcome the most common complaint re the 600 series (the htm center speakers) and use a third 685 as a center speaker. Three 685's across the front LCR would give you an exceptional front sound-stage for both movies and surround-music recordings! (The center 685 would be just a bit lower than LR mains but you could tilt it up a little.)

One other thought re your set up. A friend of mine also has both a TV and a retractable screen - he moved the screen a just three inches forward and was able to place the TV on the wall behind the screen. Looks great when the screen is not in use (the TV is in a more intuitive place on the wall) and allowed him to lower the screen just a bit when viewing with the projector.

Reactions: WillyWortel
#8 ·
Hi thanks for the advice! I ended up with buying three 685's. My set now consists of five 685 speakers, asw610 sub and a marantz sr 5008 receiver. I have to admit I' m really amazed every time I listen! I m getting really addicted to them! Its just perfect! I would recommend to everyone who is in the same situation. Tomorrow I will post a picture.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWortel  /t/1510992/b-w-dilemma#post_24240569

Hi thanks for the advice! I ended up with buying three 685's. My set now consists of five 685 speakers, asw610 sub and a marantz sr 5008 receiver. I have to admit I' m really amazed every time I listen! I m getting really addicted to them! Its just perfect! I would recommend to everyone who is in the same situation. Tomorrow I will post a picture.

You chose..............wisely.

Congrats. Identical speakers all around is really ideal. I also use identical speakers all around for 5.1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.