Goldenear Triton 7 5.1 System or pair of B&W CM10 Towers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-12-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Given a choice which would you prefer - a Goldenear Triton 7 (5.1 system) or a pair of B&W CM10 Towers set up as a 2.0 system?  

My living room measures 14 ft x 20 ft with an 8ft wide opening to the kitchen.  The living room has a 14 ft high cathedral ceiling with skylights and an open stairway directly behind the sofa. 

Usage would be about 50/50 music and movies. 

I only have a couple dealers in my immediate area so my choice of brands are limited if I want to hear the speakers in my home prior to purchase.  

I have not heard the B&W CM10's yet but I really like the crisp, clear sound of lyrics heard through B&W CM9's.  The Triton 7's have a nice, smooth, easy voice (to my ears anyway). 

I feel that the Triton 7 system is a better value for the money and I like that they are not powered which means I can place them anywhere, but I absolutely love the look and crisp sound of the B&W towers.  (I have been trying to hear the PSB Imagine 2 towers but have not gotten a response from that dealer as to when I might come into his shop since it's appointment only). 

I realize I am trying to compare apples and oranges which is what is making it hard to choose between the two brands.  I would likely expand the B&W's to a larger system once I've recovered for the initial expense.  Aside from price the only other downside to the B&W brand is that the center channel speaker is too large for my space, whereas the Triton has a smaller, narrow speaker that would fit in front of my TV on the cabinet.  I would have to use a phantom center setting for the B&W towers. 

Oh, the dealer is suggesting I buy an Anthem 310 receiver to drive the speakers, but I see that model is 80 watts and I am thinking I might need more power?

I am a novice when it comes to buying AV equipment so opinions would be appreciated.  I am hoping to gather some opinions over the next few days prior to auditioning both brands in my home the evening of Jan 14.

Thanks!

mini-cooper-girl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi,

Going by your screen name & avatar, any chance you are based in Wales? If so, why not wait while & go to the Sound & Vision Show in Bristol next month where hopefully you can get to hear the CM10's & possibly the Goldenears? Also, consider the new Focal Aria Range - have heard that they really do shine!

Bazzy!
post #3 of 24 Old 01-12-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
IMO the KEF Q900 speakers sound better than either one at a lower price.

The GoldenEar Triton Two is very good too.

I don't think the CM10 is a contender; they are way overpriced IMO. If you willing to spend what the CM10 costs, there is a whole list of better speakers at THAT price level.
post #4 of 24 Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Bazzy - I live in the USA (Rhode Island). 

post #5 of 24 Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input commsysman - I looked at the KEF website for local dealers and the few in my area are all by appointment only which is a bit of a hassle since I work weekdays but I might see if the closest dealer has the KEF Q900. 

I listened to the Goldenear Triton Two yesterday but to my surprise found that I actually liked the Goldenear Triton 7 towers better - it might have been the set up in the showroom but I didn't think the Triton Two had the clarity that I am looking for and the soundstage was not well balanced - I had absolutely no trouble isolating the left and right towers.  Also I do not like a lot of bass when listening to music and felt the powered built-in sub-woofers were a bit too pronounced even though the dealer did try to adjust the bass downwards for me.   I made the trip specifically to hear the Triton Two and was expecting to be impressed due to all the glowing reviews but they were not for me. 

I am still trying to get an appointment to hear the PSB Imagine T2 speakers as well. 

post #6 of 24 Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 PM

Liked: 10
Mini-Cooper-Girl -
I'm in a similar position to you - looking to get a new speaker system and rather new to the audio side. I'm not going to recommend anything about the various speakers, but I will pass on some advice - don't make decisions based on what you hear at the dealer! At the GoldenEar dealer, one of the Triton Twos was toed-in towards me, and the other was pointed the other way (and he stood next to them and didn't move to fix it - I had to). Needless to say, the soundstage was horrible. At the Martin Logan dealer, I had to tell them that one of the speakers was not even working, and the next time only the bass was working on one speaker. The moral here is - good speakers, like a good television, take time to calibrate and set up and match to source components, and not all dealers do that. And every system will sound different in your room than in theirs.

So, I strongly advise that you audition them in your own home. Pick some that are in the right price range and the right size and that get good reviews and take them home for a spin. Many dealers will let you take them home for a night or two. Best Buy (Magnolia) treats speakers like any other product - 30-day return if you don't like them (at least that's what I was told).

Good luck! (Oh, and I'm leaning towards the Martin Logan Motion 40 surround system..... but I still have to audition them and the Tritons in my media room)
post #7 of 24 Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
M.C.G. a poster in the GE forum mentioned that the Triton 2s didn't sound right at his dealer. A couple posts later Sandy Gross jumped in and said he would contact the dealer. A day later the poster said he went back and said now they sound fabulous. These dealers need to pay attention.

I'm currently considering replacing my Meridian DSP 5000 speakers with a pair of Triton 7s. Sandy is checking on a local dealer for me. I'm thinking an in home comparison would be best in this case. After decades of speakers I've never compared them in my home.

Patrick
post #8 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You have probably heard what I'm going to say many times before, but it is worth repeating! Don't buy speakers based upon what other people say the speakers sound like to them. Buy the speakers based upon what you think that they sound like to you. I don't want to start a flame war by naming specific speaker companies in this post, but I have listened to speakers from very distinguished companies that I've just not liked while I have really liked speakers from lesser known companies. So my advice to you is to try your best to go and listen to the Triton 7 and the CM10 (and any other speaker that makes your list) and then make up your mind. The advice about talking the dealer into allowing you to demo the speakers in your home environment for a short while is also sound.

Enjoy your shopping and let us all know what you decide to get. There is nothing like a good set of speakers to make music and HT come alive!

Cal68

Cal68
post #9 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

To all, thanks for your responses to my question.  I found one dealer that will let me audition the Triton 7's and B&W CM10's in my home.  He will be bringing the speakers tonight for a quick audition - we'll see how it goes. 

I would still like to hear some other brands like KEF, PSB, Revel, Ascend Sierra and Sonas Faber but am having trouble finding active dealers in my area - I think some of the dealers listed on the manufacturers' websites have gone out of business because I have not gotten a response to the phone messages I have left asking for an appointment.   I may have to look further out away from my geographic area but will not buy anything without getting to hear the speakers in my home first. 

I will post my decision once made. 

post #10 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Cal 68, I agree and generally that's sufficiently good advice. But in the case of the Sevens I'm taking a different stand.

While it's fashionable to be knocking reviewers lately, when you know who the good ones are and they are all basically saying the same thing about the Sevens, which is, they compare favorably with speakers costing 2 or 3 times as much then you might come to this conclusion.

Yes, when comparing in that price range you could easily weed out all but 3 or 4. Then you should compare under the best conditions. BUT the 7s aren't in that price range. And I don't think I have better listening skills than those reviewers who indicate there isn't anything comparable in their price range.

Back in the day, in Silicon Valley I could visit audio shops all over the place. Where I am now it's a drive to what few there are. But surprise surprise, there's a relatively new shop in my little burg that reps GE. So without ever hearing one, I've zeroed in on the Sevens. The final step will be comparing them to my Meridians in my HT.

Patrick
post #11 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-cooper-gir View Post

To all, thanks for your responses to my question.  I found one dealer that will let me audition the Triton 7's and B&W CM10's in my home.  He will be bringing the speakers tonight for a quick audition - we'll see how it goes. 

I would still like to hear some other brands like KEF, PSB, Revel, Ascend Sierra and Sonas Faber but am having trouble finding active dealers in my area - I think some of the dealers listed on the manufacturers' websites have gone out of business because I have not gotten a response to the phone messages I have left asking for an appointment.   I may have to look further out away from my geographic area but will not buy anything without getting to hear the speakers in my home first. 

I will post my decision once made. 

Thats an interesting contrast!! $1500 tritons vs $4000 cm10s. The cm10s are very rich sounding, but maybe TOO rich for my ears. They sounded great though, i would have to listen in small doses. The tritons are awesome and easy to live with. The 10's are incredibly clear, but for me a bit too much.

post #12 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

@papashango61 - it's funny that you mention that you thought the B&W speakers are very rich sounding but might have to be listened to in small doses because that was a thought hanging in mind too when I did a side by side comparison of the Triton 7's and the B&W CM9's in the dealer showroom.  I loved the B&W sound but made the comment to the dealer that I felt the Triton 7's would be easier to live with long term - the dealer had a look of pure astonishment when I made the comment and then proceeded to tell me that he has a B&W complete setup in his personal home theater which served to make me question my untrained ears so I agreed to give the CM10's a listen if he could bring them to my home along with the Triton 7's. 

I am very glad that someone else has the same impression about the Triton's having a sound that's easier to live with - your comments are extremely helpful and timely (as stated I was doubting my impression since I'm a novice.)

When I started comparing Tritons to B&W I was thinking that if I went with the Tritons I could afford a 5.1 surround system vs just a pair of B&W CM10 towers but I wanted to hear the 5.1 system in my home to see if it provides a more immersive sound experience or if a 2.0 or 2.1 system will fill the room with enough sound.  So you see either way I will be spending about the same amount of money so it's not such a wide gap in price, it's more a question of do I get a bigger system or a pair of higher priced towers.   I suspect the Tritons will most likely be my choice - then I also need to select a receiver to go with the new speakers.

Thanks again,

mini-cooper-girl

post #13 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 12:10 PM

the cm10s are 9s on steroids imo. 25% more everything, clarity soundstage etc. They are awesome though. It could have been the best buy room not being ideal. 

post #14 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

That's true because when I went to Best Buy and asked to hear the towers only I had to tell the salesperson that I was hearing an awful lot of bass and it turns out they had the sub-woofer turned on in addition to the B&W towers.

I am looking forward to hearing the B&W CM10's in my home and seeing how they compare to the Triton7 (5.1 system) - based on the statement that 'the CM10's are like 9's on steroids, 25% more everything' it sounds like that might be a bit overwhelming.

post #15 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 01:04 PM

you might think they are amazing. they are pretty indulgent! looking forwarrd to a recap

post #16 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I auditioned the Triton 7's in my home this evening and I have to say I was extremely impressed - so much so I have asked the dealer to write up a quote for a 5.1 system. 

Just a pair of the Triton 7 towers managed to fill the room with sound despite the high vaulted ceiling and staircase.  The dealer said that this was the first time he had heard the Triton 7's in a home and he too was very impressed. 

Streaming a movie I felt the Triton 7's had a much stronger lower range than the B&W CM9's that I had heard in a side-by-side comparison in the dealer's shop - even though the Triton 7's are passive with no built-in sub-woofers.  Listening to music I felt they carried the low end just fine without being hooked up to a sub. 

My impression from the in-home audition is that the Triton 7's in a 5.1 surround set up will give me all the sound I need.  The Tritons do not have the super crisp sound that kind of disappears into the background that I heard in the B&W CM9's but the Triton 7's do have a sound that to me seems very pleasing and full.

As stated in another post I was expecting to hear the B&W CM10's too but the dealer was not able to get the CM10s from their other shop - he mentioned that they will have a pair of CM10's in the local shop in a couple of weeks and I plan to go hear them even though at this point I do not see any need for spending the extra money.  

post #17 of 24 Old 01-15-2014, 06:14 AM

Thats too bad i wanted to hear your cm10 impressions! but glad you like the tritons. cant go wrong...

post #18 of 24 Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

I still intend to go hear the CM10's at the shop when they get them in - so I will let you know my impressions but that will be a couple of weeks away.

Also will be making a trip over after work tonight to listen to various GE Centers.  While there I am going to ask if I can listen to the B&W Diamond series towers just because I am curious as to how they sound. The dealer told me that if I ever heard the B&W Diamond speakers that I would forever be spoiled so he's peaked my curiousity about the series - not that I could ever afford to buy them.

post #19 of 24 Old 02-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
i suggest hearing the cm10's. i use to love the cm9's but they changed them. now they have a waveguide and to my ears more bass output.
the mids of the the cm10 are differnt than the cm9's however. the cm9's are smooth but glaring texture to them and light weight. the cm10's are smooth but
with a softer texture and a little more body but right on the edge of being transparent. i think this effect can make a lot of music sound the same but boy do they sound good
bass is much tighter on the 10's than the 9's too.

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #20 of 24 Old 02-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
i prefer an unforced sound. i knew it would happen with ear maturity but it's hard to understand till you get there. I don't like a ton of body. i would rather have air , breathy mids, more focus and detail than texture in the mids and highs. you should try some monitor audio gold series speakers. it's not a sound for everyone but have them set up right and give them some time and you just might find them to be more musical than the forward full bodied sound that a lot of manufacturers go for in that price range. some body is good but not if it's colored

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #21 of 24 Old 02-15-2014, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 59
post #22 of 24 Old 02-16-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:  as it turns out I ended up buying a pair of GoldenEar Triton Three speakers for left and right front, GoldenEar SuperSat 60C for center and SuperSat 3's for surround along with the companion stands. 

The reason I decided to go with the Goldenear Triton Three's is twofold:

1)  I learned that I did not have a good spot for a separate subwoofer.  The Triton Two and Three speakers have built-in powered sub-woofers so that seemed like the best option.

2) To my older, untrained ears I found the Triton Three's very neutral sounding.  I was able to hear the Triton Seven's, Triton Two's and Triton Three's in a side-by-side comparison at the dealer's showroom and the Triton Three's  seemed to simply disappear in a room about the same cubic size and architectural elements as my room at home - not so with the others.  

Personally I found the Triton Two's a bit overwhelming for the space but I am sure they would have been fabulous in a larger room. 

The SuperSat 60C does an excellent job and blends beautifully with the Triton speakers yet words are crisp and clear - very easily heard.

Wish I could have heard the new Triton One but figure if the Triton Two's overwhelmed my size room then no doubt the Triton One's would have an even bigger sound so I am happy with the Triton Three's.  

On another note, I never got to hear the B&W CM10's - the only pair the dealer had was in their Boston store and I hate to go into the city - it's such a hassle to try to find a place to park and when you do it's very expensive so I decided to let it go. 

With the money I saved I bought a new Anthem MRX 510 receiver, an Oppo BDP-103D Blu-Ray player (D stands for Darbee Visual Presence) and Sonos Controller.  

Thanks to everyone that offered their opinions through the site. 

2JEL likes this.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I do believe that is money well spent and you're going to enjoy it a lot. Congrats.

LG 55LW5600
Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-D3KU HD-DVD
Bowers & Wilkins 683B s1
Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 s1
Polk F/XiA4 (Surrounds)
Paradigm Titan v3 (Back Surrounds)

Sewell 12ga terminated wiring
Klipsch Sub 12

Logitech 520

post #24 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Liked: 10

I purchased a pair of the Triton 7's a few weeks ago. I love them.  They are great! They're imaging and staging is awesome.  Even standing right on top of them, the staging is present.  When sitting in the "sweet spot", they disappear.  They are very accurate in the low end for acoustic bass, bass drums.  Some might prefer a SUB for Home Theater applications or the very low frequency synthesizer base, also depends on the size of your room, carpet vs hardwood (which I have), etc.

I compared them to the B&W CM9's and CM10's - $3,000 - $4,000 a pair, respectively; the Martin Logan ESL's and the Motion Series and Sanus Faber.  Yes, I went to BestBuy :) Sonically, I think they are superior.  They sounded most like the ML ESL's. Very mellow in the treble, midrange, and not boomy in the lowend.  The only speaker that I would have liked to compare them to would have been the PSB Image 6, but the closest dealer is over 100 miles away.

They are a steal at $1,400!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page