cloth (fabric) 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm wondering why most of manufacturers are making cloth fabric grill instead of aluminum hard grills, is it because of cost, sound quality or the look??
Fabric grills are less durable, get dirty easily and collect dust very quickly while aluminum is extremely durable, don't not collect dust and very easy to clean..

Please give me your opinion, which is better and looks nicer? I'm asking because pioneers 5.1 speaker system used to be protected with nice looking aluminum grill, the new version came with cloth grill. I'm thinking to get the older version of the pioneers as they look nicer with the metal grill (I think) and the grill is more durable and cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 01:03 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 639
They use fabric grills for appearance purposes. They want to hide the drivers.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer...both grills types cover the driver...why there are less metal grills speakers out there?
post #4 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorystar View Post

I'm wondering why most of manufacturers are making cloth fabric grill instead of aluminum hard grills, is it because of cost, sound quality or the look??
Fabric grills are less durable, get dirty easily and collect dust very quickly while aluminum is extremely durable, don't not collect dust and very easy to clean..

Please give me your opinion, which is better and looks nicer? I'm asking because pioneers 5.1 speaker system used to be protected with nice looking aluminum grill, the new version came with cloth grill. I'm thinking to get the older version of the pioneers as they look nicer with the metal grill (I think) and the grill is more durable and cleaner.
I can't answer your 1st ? because I honestly have no idea. The only other metal grills on speakers I've seen have been for car audio systems.

I personally liked the looks of the metal grills when I first saw them so for myself it was a no brainer because I have 2 dogs and 2 cats along with a young grandson who is one of them touchy, feely types, just like his father. After reading about the improvements made to the 2nd gens, I was sad to see them not being sold with the same metal grills.

If you buy the Pio speakers, skip the subwoofer and use that $$ to get something better.

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #5 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Another advantage of a metal grill: if you have cats, they won't be inclined to scratch it smile.gif
post #6 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
My guess and it's only a guess. Metal will interfere with the signal when it hits and reflects off the metal edges. I "think" it would also interfere with the full performance of the speaker. Cloth I would think would allow more of the sound to go through it.

I don't know of any high end speaker "$2,000+" with metal covers. At that price the little additional cost should not be a factor and if it did make a difference they would use metal covers.

Just a guess.....
psychobrew likes this.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #7 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorystar View Post

Metal grilles are widely used in pro audio. They don't seem to hurt the sound. I have a pair of old Boston Audio speakers with metal grilles as well.

Any speaker designer who is at all serious tests his speakers grille on, grille off.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Metal grilles are widely used in pro audio. They don't seem to hurt the sound. I have a pair of old Boston Audio speakers with metal grilles as well.
Any speaker designer who is at all serious tests his speakers grille on, grille off.
Grilles do affect the sound, due to diffraction, but not necessarily in a negative way. In most cases the frame that the grille is attached to has more effect than the grille itself. In any case, most prejudices against grilles are like most prejudices: unfounded.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you Bill for sharing some wisdom about grilles

XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #10 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

Thank you Bill for sharing some wisdom about grilles
Mine don't have grilles, but only because I didn't want to bother making them, my speakers are nowhere near the floor, and I don't have kids or pets in the house. Otherwise I'd have them.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The other factor with Pro gear, the metal grill will go a long way to protect the drivers than the cloth will. Even if it does effect the sound, protecting the drivers would be a much more important factor.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #12 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Mine don't have grilles, but only because I didn't want to bother making them, my speakers are nowhere near the floor, and I don't have kids or pets in the house. Otherwise I'd have them.

HaHa, my floor standing speakers and sub are on the floor and my cat loves'em so much that during bass heavy music or movies he will lay down right in front of my sub. Grandson would use my FS speakers to help himself up when he was learning to walk rolleyes.gif

When I first got my Pio speakers I had the surrounds on the end tables but when my grandson begun getting around and pulling himself up I knew I had to move them out of his reach.

I also had to more my favorite fan out to the garage, after seeing the video below you'll understand why
It's finger munching fan tongue.gif

XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #13 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 AM

oooo, good thing I don't have a cat, my subwoofer is my only speaker with cloth grills, it would be toast with a cat. eek.gif As it is being a black speaker and having a yellow dog makes it nearly impossible to keep clean. *sigh*
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page