Choosing Speakers Axiom M80v2 vs Paradigm Tower Speakers Monitor 7v6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am about to purchase some new front speakers to pair for my Anthem MRX-500. I am currently looking at second hands of Axiom M80 version 2 and Paradigm Tower Speakers Monitor 7 version 6. I heard good things about Axiom not sure about the Paradigm. I will listen to some music, but mostly movie watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
i dont like the multiple tweeters on the axiom, tho i have not heard them i have read that it causes lobing. the paradigms are nice.

if you could find these used it would be on my list... Ascend SIERRA TOWERS. but the chances of finding these are probably pretty slim.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Yeah i would go for the Paradigms. The dual tweeters and dual mids just cause issues. Many quality speakers get by with one quality tweeter not two low end tweeters.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah, im surprised that anyone would make speakers like this, it just looks like a bad design to me.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The M80's design works just fine & they have a very enthusiastic following from the many users who own & enjoy them; however, the V2s are long obsolete but might be worth it if the price is right...

TAM
post #6 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

If the M80 is a great design we would see many more companies following that design. The tweeters and mids are spaced too far from one another. A MTTM design would be alittle better but ideally a MTM WW is the way to go. Which is what you see a majority of tower speakers or TM top.

Harman is one of the top loudspeaker designers around and have a extensive R&D center and the common theme is tweeter and mids squeezed as close together as possible.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 PM

FWIW, here is review from 7 years ago of the older V2 model . As I said, the design works wonderfully for many listeners, even critical ones:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/axiom/axiom.html

Personally, I wouldn't buy used as who knows how they've be used or abused even if they look pristine; however, if you can get them for a good price, they might be worth it...

TAM
post #8 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

to each his own, they do have a loyal following.... but the first time i saw them i thought to myself that i wouldnt even consider them at the price they are as there are many conventional designs to consider and they seem gimmicky to me, like WoW look at that 2 tweeters and mids.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 PM

M80s are hardly gimmicky. Now these seem to be over the top gimmicky to me; however, I would not dismiss them outright & would be most interested in how they perform:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/88942-standmounts-%242k-%244k-%246k-home-audition-wavetouch-salk-silk-b-w-cm5-totem-element-fire.html

TAM
post #10 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post

M80s are hardly gimmicky. Now these seem to be over the top gimmicky to me; however, I would not dismiss them outright & would be most interested in how they perform:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/88942-standmounts-%242k-%244k-%246k-home-audition-wavetouch-salk-silk-b-w-cm5-totem-element-fire.html

TAM

point taken, i still would be more interested in something like the ascend sierra towers.... just preference.

i cant afford them so it is neither here nor there. redface.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've owned had the M22Tis, but I remember them sounding thin and the notes carried over too long, A/Bed with the much cheaper Ascend 170SEs and it was no comparison, the Ascends were way better.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post

TAM

The M80s only design goal was MORE LOUDER. Its gimmicky too, not quite as much as those Wavetouch speakers but I highly doubt they will get any respect. They've been brought up on the forums before as snakeoil BS. They don't get any praise around the forums and its not like we are bowing down to there sheer awesomeness.

If your tweeter can't play loud enough for your design goal, then its times to develop a new tweeter. Same goes for the mids, you want louder you don't go about doing it with small 5.25" woofers. Its gimmicky its all about the looks to the novice hometheater person. Wow look at that speaker, it looks cool.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 AM

This whole thread baffles me - completely needless IMO. If the OP was not enamoured with the design in the first place, then just go with the Paras, be done with it & enjoy.

Unfortunately, degeneration into brand bashing has become the norm here. Bringing up a completely different model, a long obsolete bookshelf (M22ti) from over a decade ago when we're discussing towers, is simply irrelevant. BTW, I have the latest M22V3s that exhibit none of those characteristics & my Audyssey calibration repeatedly sets them at 40 Hz - so thin they are not in my HT room...

TAM
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page