AVS Forum banner
6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  notmybutt 
#1 ·

Hi all,

Klipsch says the rc-62 is the better center speaker match for my towers (two Klipsch RF-82 for the tower speakers).  Currently, I have the rc-52 center speaker.  Do I really need to upgrade from rc-52 to rc-62?  Will it make that much difference?  

For reference, my HT system is

two Klipsch RF-82 for the tower speakers

two Klipsch RS-42 for the surround speakers

one Klipsch rc-52 for the center speaker

one Klipsch downfiring 12 inch subwoofer (sub-12)

yamaha rx-v575 7.1 for receiver

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybutt  /t/1511790/klipsch-rc-52-or-rc-62-for-rf-82-towers#post_24208313

Hi all,

Klipsch says the rc-62 is the better center speaker match for my towers (two Klipsch RF-82 for the tower speakers).  Currently, I have the rc-52 center speaker.  Do I really need to upgrade from rc-52 to rc-62?  Will it make that much difference?  

For reference, my HT system is

two Klipsch RF-82 for the tower speakers

two Klipsch RS-42 for the surround speakers

one Klipsch rc-52 for the center speaker

one Klipsch downfiring 12 inch subwoofer (sub-12)

yamaha rx-v575 7.1 for receiver

Thanks,

You don't "need" to upgrade, but if you can afford it, those that have gone from the 52 to the 62 claim to notice an improvement.

IMO you would be far better off upgrading your sub to a SVS, PSA, HSU or Rythmik or even a pair of them depending on your room size.

#3 ·
Kini62, thanks for the feedback.

Any particular reason why I should replace my subwoofer. I mean is the sub-12 a bad subwoofer?

Regarding the center speaker , if I turn up the volume will I notice that the rf-82 will overpower the rc-52? Also, if this is the case , can't I fix this through the receiver by increasing the power to the centre speaker relative to the floor speakers? Don't want to stick with rc-52 and get a bad experience. Also what do You think about the choice of receiver?

Thanks

#4 ·

Going with a better sub might give you better bass response in vocals which the RS42 has trouble with.

That said, I couldn't justify the RC62 over the 52. The 62 is also a a bit bulky (even for my taste) and might lack WAF.

Also, there are many speaker brands that don't make a 6" driver center channel, and a 5" is the largest one others make. Something to think about, maybe Klipsch is reaching here. 

Make no mistake the RF7 DOES need the RC64, but that's a different story.

So yeah, replace sub, then replace center to the 52 if you still think you need to.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybutt  /t/1511790/klipsch-rc-52-or-rc-62-for-rf-82-towers#post_24209118

Kini62, thanks for the feedback.

Any particular reason why I should replace my subwoofer. I mean is the sub-12 a bad subwoofer?

Regarding the center speaker , if I turn up the volume will I notice that the rf-82 will overpower the rc-52? Also, if this is the case , can't I fix this through the receiver by increasing the power to the centre speaker relative to the floor speakers? Don't want to stick with rc-52 and get a bad experience. Also what do You think about the choice of receiver?

Thanks

Well as you can see in my sig, I have the RF62s which have the same size horn as the 82s and my center (identical to the RC52II other than color of woofers) has no problem keeping up. If needed you can always boost the center channel by a db or two.

As for your sub, I won't say it's a bad sub, but in comparison to say something like a SVS PB12NSD or the new PB2000, PSA XV15 or HSU VTF3 it's like putting a miniature doberman against the real thing in a fight to the death. Not even close.

So for about $800 give or take you can improve your HT experience many times over what you would achieve by going to a RC62.

With your sub you're missing a whole octave or more of movie LFE goodness and a bunch of impact the rest of the range, not to mention just plain night and day sound quality improvement with music as well as HT use.

Your sub signs off by 30hz. Any of the subs I mentioned will easily produce flat to 20hz and even into the mid teens depending on room size.

Let us help you spend some money, it's what we do here on AVS

#6 ·

Thanks for all the feedback on the rc-52.   It's given me the confidence to stick with it and try it out (i.e., I haven't put the system together yet but will do so shortly)   

For my subwoofer, I can appreciate the concern.  According to Klipsch, the frequency response for the sub-12 is 24 Hz - 120 Hz +/- 3 dB with 300 watt RMS.  I should have been more careful and made sure it goes all the way down to 20 Hz.  Now i'll only get a little taste of all those really low frequency bass which is a bummer.

Another thing I'm worried about is my receiver.  Are Yamaha receiver's a good match for Klipsch?  I got the rx-v575 because it was on sale for a huge discount.  Hope I don't regret it.  Would appreciate any feedback.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybutt  /t/1511790/klipsch-rc-52-or-rc-62-for-rf-82-towers#post_24212084

Thanks for all the feedback on the rc-52.   It's given me the confidence to stick with it and try it out (i.e., I haven't put the system together yet but will do so shortly)   

For my subwoofer, I can appreciate the concern.  According to Klipsch, the frequency response for the sub-12 is 24 Hz - 120 Hz +/- 3 dB with 300 watt RMS.  I should have been more careful and made sure it goes all the way down to 20 Hz.  Now i'll only get a little taste of all those really low frequency bass which is a bummer.

Another thing I'm worried about is my receiver.  Are Yamaha receiver's a good match for Klipsch?  I got the rx-v575 because it was on sale for a huge discount.  Hope I don't regret it.  Would appreciate any feedback.

Despite what Klipsch says your sub signs off any meaningful output at closer to 30hz.

And your AVR will power your Klipsch setup just fine.

#10 ·
Mostly TV and movies. But I really enjoy the times I get to listen to music.

For the music I mainly listen to I like the forward sound and detail. I listen to mostly blues and jazz vocal (melody gardot is a current favorite)

I do listen to rock as well. ACDC, clutch, RATM. If I listened at really high volume it might. About the highest I listen to in my room is -20db. Which is plenty loud.

#11 ·
I have owned both those centers. They are both nice but the rc62 is a bigger better speaker. It pairs great with your rf82. But you have the 52 already so might as well keep it if your happy. I also agree with the other posters that a good sub would be your best money spent.

If your happy with how it sounds then I say leave it just how it is

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head  /t/1511790/klipsch-rc-52-or-rc-62-for-rf-82-towers#post_24218366

I have owned both those centers. They are both nice but the rc62 is a bigger better speaker. It pairs great with your rf82. But you have the 52 already so might as well keep it if your happy. I also agree with the other posters that a good sub would be your best money spent.

If your happy with how it sounds then I say leave it just how it is
Yes, this makes a lot of sense to me.  Will start saving for the next upgrade (i.e.., subwoofer).  Guess I shouldn't be so surprised that it's the subwoofer that really needs the upgrade.   After all, it is from the synergy series which is a step down from the reference series I believe.  On the plus side is that I did save 200 dollars when I purchased this subwoofer - huge discount

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.