10Likes

post #91 of 171 Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Sandy Gross has quite a reputation as a speaker designer. His new flagship model, the Triton One, cements that reputation with a speaker that is sure to shake up the industry, especially when you consider the price point: $5000/pair.

Sandy Gross with the Triton One

For a flagship product of this capability, $2500/speaker is quite a bargain. A common refrain in the world of speakers is "it sounds like a speaker that costs three times as much." However, with the Triton One a comment like that is totally justified, if not an understatement. The only speakers at the show that I auditioned which sounded substantially better all cost over $20,000. Furthermore, the Triton One sounded better than some speakers that cost ten times more (that I also auditioned).

The One is a tall speaker, but it won’t take over a living room because it is slender, and compared to many audiophile speaker, not overly deep. The secret sauce in the Triton series is the inclusion of integrated self-powered subs in the speaker cabinets. Bass integration is seamless, and for many listeners there will never be a need for a separate subwoofer, thanks to the generous power and displacement of the Triton One's built-in capabilities—three 7.5-inch x 9-inch drivers—coupled to passive radiators—and 1600 Watts of power per speaker. The result is a rated frequency response of 14Hz-35Hz.

When listening to the Triton ones, the most striking aspect of their performance was an ability to replicate a soundstage with a proper sense of scale. Sounds have a size as well as a position. A Tringle is a pin-prick, but a harp is a larger, more enveloping sound—pianos are even larger. When elements of a composition are presented at a proper scale, each instrument occupies the proper amount of space and that boosts the believability of the illusion that the performance is taking place in the space before you. The Triton one performed this trick flawlessly, and that's why it deserves the sort of praise typically reserved for speakers that cost far more. As a bonus, the new flagship Tritons are 8-ohm speakers and sport 92dB efficiency and 650-Watt power handling—enough power handling and efficiency to get them well past reference level in a moderate-sized home theater.

The Triton One is Truly a Towering Achievement

Here are the full specs:

Dimensions: Speaker: 5-3/4" W (front) x 8" W (rear) x 16-1/2" D x 54" H (with base)
Base: 12-1/4" W x 19-3/4" D.
Frequency Response: 14 Hz – 35 kHz.
Efficiency: 92 dB.
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms.
Built-In Subwoofer Power Amplifier: 1600-Watt ForceField digital/DSP amplifier
Driver Complement: Three 5" x 9" long-throw quadratic sub-bass drivers coupled to

Four 7" x 10" planar infrasonic radiators

Two 5-1/4" high-definition cast-basket MVPP mid/bass drivers

One High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HFVR™) Tweeter.

Rec. Amp: 20 – 650 Watt/channel.

The price of entry to the top tier of audiophile speaker performance just dropped dramatically. If I upgrade my own speakers, it would be hard to ignore the value offered by the Triton One. What do you think?

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Is there any news on how much the Triton 1s will weigh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 171 Old 02-01-2014, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I'm curious. Why is the recommended amp power so high (20 – 650w), unless the Tritons don't plug into the wall and the amp itself is somehow driving the DSP circuitry?

Along with this, what is the power consumption for the Triton One, assuming they do need to plug into the wall?
post #93 of 171 Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

Do you think the CA-M600 are good value at $14,000/pair?

Not when you can have the Knoll Illusion for $150.00. They all sound the same after all....... Right Badouri?

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #94 of 171 Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Along with this, what is the power consumption for the Triton One, assuming they do need to plug into the wall?

It has a built in 1600 watt sub amp. You better plan on 2000 per speaker if you are going to push them......

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

post #95 of 171 Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post

It has a built in 1600 watt sub amp. You better plan on 2000 per speaker if you are going to push them......

If so, that's unfortunate. Oh, well.
post #96 of 171 Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:

If so, that's unfortunate. Oh, well.

If you are concerned about the powered subs and having to provide AC to them, Go for the Triton 7. Completely passive.

post #97 of 171 Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I'm confused do you mean an addition 400 WPC or an additional 2,000 WPC not including the 1,600 already included
post #98 of 171 Old 02-03-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post

I'm confused do you mean an addition 400 WPC or an additional 2,000 WPC not including the 1,600 already included

Going off of the posted specs above, each speaker has a class D amp capable of 1600 watts. The amp is likely to be ~90% efficient, the wattage required from the wall socket will be approaching 2k. This is of course peak consumption. Once the speaker is released there should be a UL listing for its maximum wattage consumption.

post #99 of 171 Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a pair of the Triton II's and I I've not yet enjoyed music as I have through them. They are hooked up to the Modwright Instruments KWI 200 Integrated amplifier. I could not have found a better match of electronics to speakers. A genuine synergistic coupling! I have Acoustic Alchemy's live cd Music from St. Lucia and that is one extremely pristine you are there sounding recording. I intend to keep the Triton II's paired with my existing amp for my bedroom. At the end of April I intend to purchase a pair of the Triton I's and run them with a Classe set up. I have selected what I feel will be just as well matched as my present system. The top Classe preamp along with the Classe 600 watt mono amps
.This is my last system as I'm now 62 and knowing that the quality of sound these speakers from Sandy Gross is kicking butt upside the expensive speakers. I encourage those of you who are looking for the best bang for the buck to check out the GoldenEar line. You absolutely cannot go wrong unless you choose electronics that are not of very good quality.
post #100 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Going off of the posted specs above, each speaker has a class D amp capable of 1600 watts. The amp is likely to be ~90% efficient, the wattage required from the wall socket will be approaching 2k. This is of course peak consumption. Once the speaker is released there should be a UL listing for its maximum wattage consumption.

Thanks I follow you now.
tritiumglo likes this.
post #101 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 07:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Is there any news on how much the Triton 1s will weigh?

On GoldenEar forum they say 80lbs

post #102 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ton14hzRooster View Post

I have a pair of the Triton II's and I I've not yet enjoyed music as I have through them. They are hooked up to the Modwright Instruments KWI 200 Integrated amplifier. I could not have found a better match of electronics to speakers. A genuine synergistic coupling! I have Acoustic Alchemy's live cd Music from St. Lucia and that is one extremely pristine you are there sounding recording. I intend to keep the Triton II's paired with my existing amp for my bedroom. At the end of April I intend to purchase a pair of the Triton I's and run them with a Classe set up. I have selected what I feel will be just as well matched as my present system. The top Classe preamp along with the Classe 600 watt mono amps
.This is my last system as I'm now 62 and knowing that the quality of sound these speakers from Sandy Gross is kicking butt upside the expensive speakers. I encourage those of you who are looking for the best bang for the buck to check out the GoldenEar line. You absolutely cannot go wrong unless you choose electronics that are not of very good quality.

Classé gear is now made in China :( 

post #103 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingaling View Post

On GoldenEar forum they say 80lbs

I saw that on the forum and I'm excited. I looks like it's a bigger difference size wise the Triton 1s and Triton 2s then it is between the 2s and the 3s.
post #104 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I saw that on the forum and I'm excited. I looks like it's a bigger difference size wise the Triton 1s and Triton 2s then it is between the 2s and the 3s.
Of course not only the extra woofer section. But also the extra bass radiator and improved internal bracing. Making for a much bigger stature. wink.gif
post #105 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:

From GoldenEar support "Power consumption is less than 2 watts at standby, average 120 watts during audio playback and short duration peaks of about 1800 watts"

post #106 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingaling View Post

From GoldenEar support "Power consumption is less than 2 watts at standby, average 120 watts during audio playback and short duration peaks of about 1800 watts"

Well, for the forseeable future I live in a 1BR apartment with no dedicated outlets. My stereo as is pulls only about 4.6 – 5.2 amps or so when watching a DVD; this includes 500w monoblocks. I rarely see my Mirage M-3si speakers fed more than 5w or so. Any system I have must run on a regular line, so I'm still leery of the Triton ones, but I will reserve further judgements until more specs and even a manual are available. As I said earlier, I'm not in the market, but I remain intrigued by the Tritons.
post #107 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Well, for the forseeable future I live in a 1BR apartment with no dedicated outlets. My stereo as is pulls only about 4.6 – 5.2 amps or so when watching a DVD; this includes 500w monoblocks. I rarely see my Mirage M-3si speakers fed more than 5w or so. Any system I have must run on a regular line, so I'm still leery of the Triton ones, but I will reserve further judgements until more specs and even a manual are available. As I said earlier, I'm not in the market, but I remain intrigued by the Tritons.
Well I must ask then...Why are you considering the Triton 1s if you live in a 1bedroom apt. Unless its over 8000 square feet..You'll never be able to fully enjoy them in all their "musical" glory, without the landlord threatening to put you out after all the complaints that would come from the neighbors. wink.gif
Sfniner likes this.
post #108 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emofan21 View Post

Well I must ask then...Why are you considering the Triton 1s if you live in a 1bedroom apt. Unless its over 8000 square feet..You'll never be able to full enjoy them if all their bountiful glory without the landlord threatening to put you out after all the complaints that would come from the neighbors. wink.gif
post #109 of 171 Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Well, Emofan21 I live on an acre and being retired and all my neighbors at work by 8:00 a.m. I'm pretty lucky to be able to give an amp at least 40 clicks on the volume dial out of 100. That's plenty of power to flesh out speakers. Any louder and you will hear a harsh shouting effect. What is so awesome about

any of the Triton's is the more you go to their top end on power like the Triton 1's 650 watts is you only need to go 30 clicks on the volume max to hear their full majesty. I would not dare CRANK them up! The Triton II's @ 40 clicks of 200 watts from the Modwright
emofan21 likes this.
post #110 of 171 Old 02-05-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emofan21 View Post

Well I must ask then...Why are you considering the Triton 1s if you live in a 1bedroom apt. Unless its over 8000 square feet..You'll never be able to fully enjoy them in all their "musical" glory, without the landlord threatening to put you out after all the complaints that would come from the neighbors. wink.gif

My thinking is that sound quality at lower volumes is important. As I upgraded my system over time, I noted real improvements. I was using two pair of B&K 200wpc monoblocks to drive my speakers before; now I have a pair of McIntosh MC501s doing it. The power means better driver control. I don't blast (I couldn't stay in here), but don't need to for satisfying sound. I have good hearing and want to keep it that way. If I should be in the market for speakers I would want ones that will keep the satisfying sound tradition. With my previous preamp, volume never went beyond 33% (normal was about 27%), which is reference-level in here. With my current preamp, which is a tube unit, volume runs at a max of 42% standard for satisfying sound, though I did take it up to 54% once. It was so clean and good-sounding, I was subject to involuntary fist-pumps. No neighbor complaints.

"Too much" is better than not enough, according to my experience in this room. I would admit that I'm not persuaded bass as deep as the Triton Ones go is necessary in my living room (14 x 18.5, with a ceiling of 10.5' or so). The Triton Ones go down to very low levels, to 14Hz; that could mess with a neighbor, especially played loudly. My current speakers go to a more-than-respectable 30Hz. While my general thoughts are that perhaps 27–25Hz is plenty, the Ones make a lot of sense price-wise. So I think about them in case my Mirages go belly-up. The Triton Twos go to 16Hz, also potentially too much bass in this room, but the price is again right, plus they can be driven by amps; no need to plug in. I'd like a taller speaker than they, though.

In any case, for the most part this is all moot until my Mirages go away. However that might happen. smile.gif
emofan21 likes this.
post #111 of 171 Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 AM

Nothing wrong with low bass response. Your neighbors wouldn't hear 14hz anyway. They would just have things shaking off of their walls: wink.gif
I have heard and I admire Goldenear very much. With that being said, these sub 20hz numbers are a bit optimistic. They have very good bass response yes. Many users will not need an additional sub. However, they are not HSU VTF15s or JL Gothams.

post #112 of 171 Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with low bass response. Your neighbors wouldn't hear 14hz anyway. They would just have things shaking off of their walls: wink.gif
I have heard and I admire Goldenear very much. With that being said, these sub 20hz numbers are a bit optimistic. They have very good bass response yes. Many users will not need an additional sub. However, they are not HSU VTF15s or JL Gothams.

I love the fact that my triton 2s have great bass but it's not quite the same as my dual Seatons. However I do believe that the triton 1s will essentially give me quads when paired with my dual submersives.
tritiumglo likes this.
post #113 of 171 Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

I concur, and that's why I have my 2s paired with my dual SVS Pluses.
tritiumglo likes this.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #114 of 171 Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the concern. I have a recording here or there that pressures my chest or gives a bit of a shake to things, and it's a nice effect. Not too drastic.

Besides, this is a 100 year-old building.
post #115 of 171 Old 02-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Putting GoldenEar’s Triton One Speakers to the Test
JAN
Written by: John Sciacca
1/13/2014 2:40 PM RssIcon
It’s easy to get lost and lose your perspective when wandering the halls of The Venetian high-end audio suites during International CES. I mean, behind every door is another stratospherically priced, mid-six-figure audio system where just the cabling alone costs more than most people’s entire AV systems. You hear talk of all of these rarefied driver and cabinet materials, audiophile micro-attention to detail, and ultra-resolution and micro-dynamics, and after a few demos, you start losing your touch on reality.

That’s why I took two visits to GoldenEar Technology’s demo suite. The first was to experience the new Triton One loudspeakers on my first day of the show before I had listened to any other demos, and the second was on my last day of the show, after I had listened to dozens.

Sandy Gross.
Something GoldenEar’s founder and industry legend, Sandy Gross, said during my first listening session really resonated with me and I wanted to put it to the test. Sandy said that the Triton Ones were designed to stand next to the $50,000 super speakers found at the show.

On my first listen, I was certainly impressed with the Triton One’s sound quality. My listening notes have the phrases, “Deep, tight bass,” “musicians just float in space, perfectly positioned in their locations on stage,” “even at less than reference volume audio is rich and detailed and holding balance and depth,” and “effortless, airy, open, easy.”

Impressive for sure, but, come on, Sandy. You don’t really expect a $5,000 pair of speakers to compete on the same level as models costing 10-times as much, right? That’s why I returned to GoldenEar’s suite after hearing multiple speaker systems in that 10-times (and more) multiple to give the Tritons a second listen.

After spending some more time listening, I have to agree that Sandy has created a speaker that defies its price point and certainly stands alongside those super speakers. The Ones create just a huge wall of sound that is immense and impressive, but also detailed and accurate and easy and non-fatiguing to listen to. Each note is identifiable and precise, and localizable in the acoustic space.

The high-velocity folded ribbon (HVFR) tweeter produces sound that just floats weightless in space, with an effortless, breathy quality that is so easy to listen to. There was one track with a maraca shaking, and I felt like I could not only hear the individual beads rattling but also could hear them singularly settling within the shaker. Female vocals are especially delightful, as they just breathe into the room.

While the bass might not have had the same low-end wallop as some of the other audiophile, “mega speakers,” there is certainly plenty of it. The large bass notes from “Fanfare for the Common Man” had that infrasonic depth and pressure the movement demands, while still maintaining tightness and detail that a high-end speaker must deliver. Any possible loss of overall volume is more than made up for the lack of bloat.

The Triton One features a huge array of drivers, including three 5x9-inch long-throw quadratic sub-bass drivers coupled to four 7x10-inch planar infrasonic radiators, two 5.25-inch cask-basket mid/bass drivers and one HFVR tweeter.

While one could split hairs as to whether the Triton One’s sound as good as a $20,000, $40,000, or even $60,000 pair of loudspeakers, they could also just go and buy them for under $5,000 and be very happy indeed. The speakers sound so good, I asked Sandy if maybe these were to be his swan song and he laughed and said, “Oh no. Definitely not.” I’m not sure how he could possibly outdo himself with these, but I definitely look forward to hearing whatever comes next
post #116 of 171 Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
At last year's International CES, the SoundStage! Network's newest and smallest writer, Hans Wetzel, reported on the Triton Seven, GoldenEar's newest and smallest model in its acclaimed Triton series of loudspeakers. This year, GoldenEar made an even bigger splash with the announcement of its flagship Triton One, which is priced at $5000 per pair.

Triton One

The 54" One is taller and sleeker looking than its other Triton brethren, and looked impressive situated practically in the corners of the demo room. It features the same High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) tweeter as the other GoldenEar speakers, but it uses a new, larger 5.25" bass-midrange driver similar to that in the Seven, but with the Multi-Vaned Phase Plugs found in the smaller bass-midrange drivers of the Two and Three. There is also a more complex dual chamber for the tweeter and bass-midrange drivers with an angled back, thicker cabinet walls, improved bracing, and additional damping. The One also has a more powerful 1600W amplifier with digital signal processing and three active 5" x 9" long-throw quadratic sub-bass drivers coupled to four 7" x 10" planar passive radiators.

As expected from the newest, largest Triton model, the bass performance was simply outstanding. Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man filled the room with explosive timpani and powerful horns that were spread evenly across the massive front soundstage, which extended nearly the entire width of the room as well as behind the speakers. The sound was truly grand and majestic. An upright bass imaged perfectly between the speakers and was reproduced with stunning realism as if it were right in the room. Fellow SoundStage! Network reviewer Aron Garrecht commented that there was an excellent sense of scale, with the images of the bass and cymbals sounding exactly the right size and in proportion with each other. Female vocals also sounded spectacular with spine-tingling palpability. I sat mesmerized.

The demo, given by industry veteran and GoldenEar president Sandy Gross, used an MSB Technology digital front end and Pass Labs monoblock amplifiers to drive the Tritons. When I spoke with him after the demo, he told me how pleased he was with the outcome of the Triton One project. Judging from what I heard at the show, I couldn't agree more.

Roger Kanno
Senior Contributor, The SoundStage! Network
post #117 of 171 Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I anticipate having a pair of Aon 3's for my computer room within a week.

Are they on a desk and do you like how they sound?

Cheers

post #118 of 171 Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM

I received a PM saying that Aon 3 are on back order. I contacted GoldenEar about this and got this answer:

Quote:

Absolutely not. They are now and have always been in stock for immediate shipment to dealers from our KY warehouse.

The GoldenEar Team

Cheers

post #119 of 171 Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
We are about a month away from when the first Ones should be shipping. I look forward to the first postings. I have a set ordered to replace my Titian Twos

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #120 of 171 Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post

We are about a month away from when the first Ones should be shipping. I look forward to the first postings. I have a set ordered to replace my Titian Twos

Same here the waiting is killing me...hope my xpa-2 can handle the job.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ces 2014 , Goldenear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page