10Likes

post #151 of 171 Old 11-13-2014, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
Agreed. And what if those plate amps go down 5 years from now and you cant get them fixed or replaced????. If something is going to fail in that speaker it will most likely be the plate amp. I dont like the idea of proprietary electronics in a 5k speaker waiting to fail.
You'll have to search the main GoldenEar thread to find it, but (as I recall) there's a detailed discussion of the where's and why's of GE's grounding practices. As I recall, in a nutshell: "Yes, we know about it. The solution is complicated but it's there."

As far as replacements in the event of failure, as long as Sandy is on the forums I think you'll be fine. He personally honored a slightly out-of-warranty set of 2s a few months ago.

And the 1s are 5k a pair, not each.
rustolemite and d_m1010 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
has anyone compared the Triton One with the Aerial 10T?
post #153 of 171 Old 11-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
did these not have metal grills at some point?
post #154 of 171 Old 11-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post
did these not have metal grills at some point?
I'm pretty sure they have metal grills under the "wind sock." Feels metal to me, at any rate.
post #155 of 171 Old 11-15-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
I'm pretty sure they have metal grills under the "wind sock." Feels metal to me, at any rate.
yeah they feel like metal to me as well.
post #156 of 171 Old 11-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
found this, look a ton better without the cloth imo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 10 goldenear lineup.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	369657  
post #157 of 171 Old 11-16-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the look of them without the cloth, but are they 'tuned' with the cloth on? Will this alter the FR?
post #158 of 171 Old 11-16-2014, 08:19 AM

They're definitely engineered with the assumption the grill cloth is there. Exactly what the consequences of removing it might be, I wouldn't know. Send a note to GE's tech support. Sandy tends to answer that one, but regardless you'll get an authoritative answer from them.
d_m1010 likes this.
post #159 of 171 Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Since Sandy is active on AVS I'll ask him here. Can I remove the cloth Sandy without affecting SQ? Thanks.
post #160 of 171 Old 11-17-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post
found this, look a ton better without the cloth imo
Not recommended for homes with kids or cats

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #161 of 171 Old 11-20-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not Bad... But...

Auditioned the Triton 1's at my local audio dealer... and... my observations were:

1. Superb staging and imaging - very "Maggie" like - holographic!
2. Tone, tenor, timbre seem very life-like with life-like images.
2. Great bass and mids with lots of resolution in these frequencies.
3. Good resolution in the highs, as well.

But...

4. The highs are overwhelmed by the bass and mids - have a definite bias for the lower frequencies.
5. Need room treatments and/or DSP to eliminate the room boom.

I found it difficult to accept them with these later weaknesses - I just prefer a brighter, crisper, more forward sound. They were too smooth, laid-back and dark for me. May be fine for those who are sensitive to highs, and love "big bass."
post #162 of 171 Old 11-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Base knob was probably turned to high on your demo. Sandy says this happens all the time.
post #163 of 171 Old 11-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan View Post
Auditioned the Triton 1's at my local audio dealer... and... my observations were:

1. Superb staging and imaging - very "Maggie" like - holographic!
2. Tone, tenor, timbre seem very life-like with life-like images.
2. Great bass and mids with lots of resolution in these frequencies.
3. Good resolution in the highs, as well.

But...

4. The highs are overwhelmed by the bass and mids - have a definite bias for the lower frequencies.
5. Need room treatments and/or DSP to eliminate the room boom.

I found it difficult to accept them with these later weaknesses - I just prefer a brighter, crisper, more forward sound. They were too smooth, laid-back and dark for me. May be fine for those who are sensitive to highs, and love "big bass."
Read this guy's post in this other thread before you give ANY value to what he posted about the Tritons.

Wavetouch Audio Grand Teton monitors

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #164 of 171 Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Read this guy's post in this other thread before you give ANY value to what he posted about the Tritons.
Okay, wow, that was an entertaining thread. Still, the troll only criticized an existing brand, and didn't even mention his favorite. You kinda did his job for him, since now I know they exist. Not gonna buy them, or recommend them, but I do know they exist now.

You on the payroll? (<-- I kid! I KID!!)
post #165 of 171 Old 11-20-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
Okay, wow, that was an entertaining thread. Still, the troll only criticized an existing brand, and didn't even mention his favorite. You kinda did his job for him, since now I know they exist. Not gonna buy them, or recommend them, but I do know they exist now.

You on the payroll? (<-- I kid! I KID!!)
I will give it to him he put some time and effort into those posts, but the responses had me laughing out loud.
Reminds me of a guy who did a troll job on the Axiom Speaker forum awhile back.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #166 of 171 Old Today, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Am I the only one that was not impressed with the Triton 1, 2 & 3?

OK guys, don't think I'm trolling here. I've done a lot of research on the Triton 1s, and was all set to purchase a pair. I decided to go hear them. I just spent the afternoon listening to Paradigm Reference 85F tower speakers, as well as the Paradigm Signature S6, GoldenEar Triton 1, 2, and 3. The Paradigms, while impressive, crisp, and detailed, had a metallic, almost edgy sound to them that was a little fatiguing. For $2,000 and $3,400 EACH, I was a little disappointed, especially since they are Canadian made (Canada makes some of the best speakers, IMHO. The low end Paradigms you buy in Best Buy are made in China, and are NOT Canadian made). I also heard the Paradigm Signature 15B "bookshelf" speakers for $799 each. Those are VERY transparent. It sounded as though the person singing was right in the room, and the impression stayed even when I walked into an adjoining room.
Next I listened to the GoldenEar Triton 1, 2, and 3 towers. The sound was very smooth and laid back, bass was very articulate and deep (down to 16Hz!) BUT voices sounded like you were talking through your hand. I was really trying hard to like them at $2,400 EACH, but I just could not. On the way out I was like, hell let's try the new small GoldenEar Triton 7s. Holy. Sh-t. Those babies sound Amazing. Highs are nice and smooth, bass doesn't need a subwoofer unless you want to go down low for movies, and voices sound very much like the Paradigm Signature 15Bs. The Triton 7s have none of the things I hated in their bigger Triton 1s or the Paradigms, and everything I love in both. Ready for the best part? I asked the guy the price. They are $699 each. Yea. You don't always get what you pay for, especially with speakers. I was all ready to eventually shell out 5 grand for a pair of speakers. Now I can get seven for that price! I did walk out with the GoldenEar SuperCenter XL center channel. Listening to it now. Sounds freakin’ awesome, and no piercing high frequencies, and it sounds like Ne-Yo is in the room. Best of all, it goes from 36Hz to 35,000 Hz. Very smooth! I can't wait to watch a movie with the thing.

So, yea, I really did not like the Triton 1, 2, or 3. My reaction when switching from the Triton 7 to the Triton 2 was one of disbelief. I couldn't believe voices sounded so god-awful and nasally on the larger Tritons... Thoughts?

Yay! A Signature!

post #167 of 171 Old Today, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
OK guys, don't think I'm trolling here. I've done a lot of research on the Triton 1s, and was all set to purchase a pair. I decided to go hear them. I just spent the afternoon listening to Paradigm Reference 85F tower speakers, as well as the Paradigm Signature S6, GoldenEar Triton 1, 2, and 3. The Paradigms, while impressive, crisp, and detailed, had a metallic, almost edgy sound to them that was a little fatiguing. For $2,000 and $3,400 EACH, I was a little disappointed, especially since they are Canadian made (Canada makes some of the best speakers, IMHO. The low end Paradigms you buy in Best Buy are made in China, and are NOT Canadian made). I also heard the Paradigm Signature 15B "bookshelf" speakers for $799 each. Those are VERY transparent. It sounded as though the person singing was right in the room, and the impression stayed even when I walked into an adjoining room.
Next I listened to the GoldenEar Triton 1, 2, and 3 towers. The sound was very smooth and laid back, bass was very articulate and deep (down to 16Hz!) BUT voices sounded like you were talking through your hand. I was really trying hard to like them at $2,400 EACH, but I just could not. On the way out I was like, hell let's try the new small GoldenEar Triton 7s. Holy. Sh-t. Those babies sound Amazing. Highs are nice and smooth, bass doesn't need a subwoofer unless you want to go down low for movies, and voices sound very much like the Paradigm Signature 15Bs. The Triton 7s have none of the things I hated in their bigger Triton 1s or the Paradigms, and everything I love in both. Ready for the best part? I asked the guy the price. They are $699 each. Yea. You don't always get what you pay for, especially with speakers. I was all ready to eventually shell out 5 grand for a pair of speakers. Now I can get seven for that price! I did walk out with the GoldenEar SuperCenter XL center channel. Listening to it now. Sounds freakin’ awesome, and no piercing high frequencies, and it sounds like Ne-Yo is in the room. Best of all, it goes from 36Hz to 35,000 Hz. Very smooth! I can't wait to watch a movie with the thing.

So, yea, I really did not like the Triton 1, 2, or 3. My reaction when switching from the Triton 7 to the Triton 2 was one of disbelief. I couldn't believe voices sounded so god-awful and nasally on the larger Tritons... Thoughts?
I haven't really heard much on the Triton One's. I did a very, very brief audition. However, I can agree whole-heartedly about the Triton Seven. I traded "down" from Triton Two's to Triton Seven's, because I liked the upper bass and lower mid-range so much more on the Seven's. The Seven's are remarkably transparent and revealing. I keep going back to female vocals (Rebecca Pidgeon, Jen Chapin and many others).

That said, it sounds like the Triton One, Two and Three you heard may not have been set up optimally. I wouldn't describe the Two's as nasally. The tweeter they use on all the Triton's is a thing of beauty.

Joe Clark

post #168 of 171 Old Today, 05:49 PM

That's what I thought too, since I have some experience with the kind of games people play however; the place I went to had the Tritons 1, 2, and 3 set up in two different places. One set in their listening room, and one set in the open in the showroom. That nasally (closed?) mid-range vocal sound came from both setups. I heard these on McIntosh Amps, NAD Masters series, and Marantz. The sound did not change. I traced the speaker cable to make sure they were hooked up correctly, and they were. There was nothing between the output of the amp and the speakers but the same cable used on every other speaker in the store.

The highs were great, but mid range voices were shockingly awful. I tried several different tracks ranging from stereotypical Audiophile to "Heartbeat" by Childish Gambino (seriously awesome on the right setup, the Synth is SO aggressive) The bass had something to be desired (sounded "heavy"), but I know a lot of that is setup, acoustic treatment, and bass level control. Seriously, I was really trying to like them, and I couldn't. I do not know what $50,000 speakers sound like, but if the Triton 1s truly sound like speakers 10x the price, then Yuck. Switching back and forth from the Triton 7s to the Triton 1s was seriously shockingly different in the vocal range. I'm really glad the SuperCenter XL sounds like the 7s and not the 1, 2, or 3. Those three sound very similar when it comes to vocals, male AND female. I guess you could say female voices sounded nasal, while male voices sounded like you are talking though a blanket or something.

Yay! A Signature!

post #169 of 171 Old Today, 05:53 PM

... and THAT'S why you listen to speakers before you buy them. Not everyone will like the sound. Because this is hi-fi, the ones who don't will be very articulate about what they think is wrong with it.

The sevens are what I'll recommend to anyone who wants to start getting serious about hi-fi.

As to the rest?

Enjoy yours.
post #170 of 171 Old Today, 06:10 PM

Yea I definitely agree. I always tell people if they are looking at spending a $1,000 or more on a pair of speakers, it's more about the sound you like, not the amount you are spending on the speakers. The guy at the audio shop couldn't beieve I described the highs on the Paradigm References as slightly edgy (except the 15Bs, those things are impressive). Sometimes people start thinking about the price tag and experience cognitive dissonance. The thing that got me is, most high-end (think B&W Nautilus or the 800 Diamond series) speakers I have heard get closer and closer to sounding real, disappearing, and, well, not sounding like speakers. When listing to the big Tritons, and specifically both sets (I could justify away if it were just one as a defective unit, or specific room treatments, etc.), I could keep my eyes closed and point to the speakers whenever vocals were on, instead of being able to point to the singer. The sound-stage simply became very speaker-isolated in a specific frequency range, in both the listening room and the showroom. Otherwise imaging was great, and the speakers disappeared. Just weird when the whole point of the Tritons are the imaging. It's not the tweeter either, because I love the laid-back sound. The detail in the highs is great, almost too unforgiving. Vocals are puzzling though.

Yay! A Signature!

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; Today at 06:15 PM.
post #171 of 171 Old Today, 06:19 PM

As for the Triton 7's, I could not believe I was listening to $699 speakers I will definitely be buying them since I simply can't justify spending 5 times the price for something slightly "better".

Yay! A Signature!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ces 2014 , Goldenear