GoldenEar Triton One at CES 2014 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #181 of 189 Old 01-11-2015, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Sandy
I just read the article of the Ones in Stereophile magazine and congratulations on another excellent review. I read where you tilted the speakers forward by putting the rubber feet on the front and the spikes on the rear. I realized my short room would lend itself to that idea and it made a very favorable change. Many thanks

Reggie
Hi Audiguy

I just mentioned this a little while ago on the main anticipation thread with a few responses from others if you care to check it out. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 189 Old 01-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, I just found this thread….In terms of removing the cloth, you certainly can. The speakers are voiced with the cloth, but removing it won't dramatically change things. Honestly though, I can't quite understand why one would want to, as the styling with the cloth is very sleek. But of course, all this is very personal. Sandy
The drivers are of high quality and the tweeter is a sight to behold. I would prefer having the option such as Martin Logan Motion. Magnetic grill and sock the rest? Running with the socks off reveals the radiators which then makes things appear a bit busy. A minor nit pick considering how good the speaker sounds.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #183 of 189 Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see that you still have PSB Stratus Gold and C6 speakers. I am considering changing my current 11.2 theater that features the Golds the C6 and eight other 20 year old PSB speakers. I have to say that I really enjoy this set up. Do you have an opinion that using all Triton speakers would be a worthwhile upgrade? I think that listening in a showroom would be a potential waste of time since they would not duplicate my home environment.
Thanks,
Toddtas

Last edited by toddtas; 02-28-2015 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Correction
post #184 of 189 Old 02-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtas View Post
I see that you still have PSB Stratus Gold and C6 speakers. I am considering changing my current 11.2 theater that features the Golds the C6 and nine other 20 year old PSB speakers. I have to say that I really enjoy this set up. Do you have an opinion that using all Triton speakers would be a worthwhile upgrade? I think that listening in a showroom would be a potential waste of time since they would not duplicate my home environment.
Thanks,
Toddtas
No. The midrange of the Stratus golds is more refined than the GE. Even though the tweeter in the Stratus is not AMT/HVFT it is the best aluminum there is. The magic that was done in the crossovers is just amazing with the Stratus series. The top end also rivals the GE.

I have been listening to speakers for a long time searching for upgrades. The only ones that I would consider cost 30k a pair + whatever surrounds I would get. The improvement would be minimal. I run my PSB setup with good subs so there is almost nowhere to go.

Now if something happened and I no longer had my PSB setup I would be looking to GE. GE offers the most sound for the money in today's market.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

post #185 of 189 Old 02-27-2015, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for sharing

I really appreciate your shared experience. It has been fun and educational checking out all of the GE tech.
As a PSB experience, please check out the blu-ray of Into The Storm. At the 50 minute mark, as multiple tornadoes strike, my room was energized as never before. A good demo for the Tritons also.
tritiumglo likes this.
post #186 of 189 Old 04-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Has anyone managed to get a discount on GE speakers at their local dealer?

I went in to local dealer super excited to get Triton 5's but they don't have them. Bummer! I asked when they would get them and I was informed they don't carry them in stock. >.<

They had 1, 2 and 7's. So I listed to the 2's and liked them. But I think they might be overkill since I have two beefy hsu subs. I also liked the 7's, and I REALLY wanted to get speakers today, but I have a feeling I would be kicking myself for not getting 5's. Who knows, maybe with my subs I should be getting the 7's?

But anyway, anyone managed to talk down dealer on these? I'd buy his opened twos if I could get them for the price of fives. The guy should really just carry fives...
post #187 of 189 Old 04-30-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I wasn't able to get a discount on my Ones at Stereo Plus and Design in Ottawa, but they did give me the original amount that I spent on the Twos. You can't beat that.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #188 of 189 Old 04-30-2015, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The fives are damned rare on the ground right now. I can count the number of "woo-hoo! GOT MINE!" posts I've seen on one hand and have fingers left over.

I didn't even bother trying to talk my dealer down when I got my 1s last year. He gave me a stinking good deal on a high-zoot Pioneer receiver instead.

I had the upgrade bug this time last year, when the 1s were even rarer because of an unfortunate flood in China. Me, I'd sit back and wait. Maybe the 5s won't rate the premium and if so, well, there's some 7s right over there .
post #189 of 189 Old 05-01-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
Has anyone managed to get a discount on GE speakers at their local dealer?

I went in to local dealer super excited to get Triton 5's but they don't have them. Bummer! I asked when they would get them and I was informed they don't carry them in stock. >.<

They had 1, 2 and 7's. So I listed to the 2's and liked them. But I think they might be overkill since I have two beefy hsu subs. I also liked the 7's, and I REALLY wanted to get speakers today, but I have a feeling I would be kicking myself for not getting 5's. Who knows, maybe with my subs I should be getting the 7's?

But anyway, anyone managed to talk down dealer on these? I'd buy his opened twos if I could get them for the price of fives. The guy should really just carry fives...
There is more to the 5s than just extended bass. Different drivers/radiators than the 7s and new crossover topology derived from the build of the 1s. Result is (supposedly, haven't heard them) better mids.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-01-2015 at 02:33 PM.
post #190 of 189 Old 05-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
There is more to the 5s than just extended bass. Different drivers/radiators than the 7s and new crossover topology derived from the build of the 1s. Result is (supposedly, haven't heard them) better mids.
I have heard both. The 5 is certainly more refined and extends deeper than the 7. I took video of the 5s being driven by a Parasound integrated at Axpona last weekend. The 5 is now my favorite GE tower as it lacks electronics in the box. I do not like the idea of electronics in the tower. If it ever fails that could be a real problem.

Here are the 5s in action.
https://www.facebook.com/10000515569...1527592695760/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ces 2014 , Goldenear