Swan 5.2 need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of Swan 5.2's that worked for a Few months. Then the right side, first blew the lower woofer, and then the upper midrange, and tweeter dropped in volume compared to the rest of the system. So in the end I only had the middle midrange working at the correct volume. The left side always worked fine. I even switched the channels to make sure it was not my amp, and of course then the problem was on the left, so I know its the speaker, not the amp. Well.....

Month later, my Dealer and I gave up on trying to work with Swan, and I got a pair of PSB's at a good price, and just paid the difference. Well its now been 3 months, and I have sent many emails to my dealer asking what to do with the Swans, and he never answers. I ask him about a new product and I hear back right away. So, if he does not want them back, I might as well try to fix it. I assume the problem, based on what I have said, is the crossover in the speaker. All agree? If so,mad.gif should I just have custom crossovers made, since Swan says they have no parts to fix mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
PSB, KEF, Vandersteen, and many other manufacturers have been around a long time and offer good-quality products and strong customer support.

Your experience would seem to indicate that Swan is a company that one would be wise to stay clear of, and that your dealer is also irresponsible and not supporting you properly.

The fact that they do not even have repair parts for your speakers is outrageous.

To be certain that the problem is with the crossover, and not the drivers, you should switch one driver at a time between the good one and bad one.

If the problem is in the crossover networks, any competent technician should be able to identify the bad components and replace them.

A good source for high-quality crossover parts is Parts Connexion.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak244 View Post

I have a pair of Swan 5.2's that worked for a Few months. Then the right side, first blew the lower woofer, and then the upper midrange, and tweeter dropped in volume compared to the rest of the system. So in the end I only had the middle midrange working at the correct volume. The left side always worked fine. I even switched the channels to make sure it was not my amp, and of course then the problem was on the left, so I know its the speaker, not the amp. Well.....

Month later, my Dealer and I gave up on trying to work with Swan, and I got a pair of PSB's at a good price, and just paid the difference. Well its now been 3 months, and I have sent many emails to my dealer asking what to do with the Swans, and he never answers. I ask him about a new product and I hear back right away. So, if he does not want them back, I might as well try to fix it. I assume the problem, based on what I have said, is the crossover in the speaker. All agree? If so,mad.gif should I just have custom crossovers made, since Swan says they have no parts to fix mine?

Have you contacted Jon Lane at theaudioinsider.com? He carries or carried the swans that you have.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM

First of all Swan is using its own highly regarded drivers under the brand name HIVI which are widely available at Partsexpress and Madisound . Second , drivers don't blow up that fast and easy . Can you elaborate a little bit more. Have you switched the speakers on your amp channels to be sure that its an issue with the speakers for sure or an amp issue ? Have you taken out a woofer to check the connections on the crossover inside the speakers . Another crossover is behind the separate midwoofer section of the cabinet ?
I doubt a little bit that the drivers blew up . When did it happen ?
I know that the US Swan tech support sucks but I would also contact Jon Lane at the Audio Insider if you can't get any further as the speaker are worth it and very good .
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 PM

I would agree that if you have any problems with Swan contact Jon Lane. I bought a pair of Swan Diva 6.1 and the matching center about a year ago and I love them. I bought the 2 mains through theaudioinsider.com and the center from another dealer. After not hearing back about the center for a couple weeks I contacted Jon and he helped me out. I ended up getting my money refunded for the center and ordered it through Jon. He was a huge help and wouldn't think twice about ordering from him again.

55" Panasonic VT30
Pioneer Elite VSX-52
Swan Diva 6.1, Swan Diva C3, Infinity Primus Satellite (x4)
Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Xbox 360, Apple TV2, Media Server, DirecTV
Monster Power MP HTUPS 2700
post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

OK, to elaborate on the Lowest woofer it makes a cracking sound when bass hits. I took the woofer out on both sides, and on the good side, I can push on the woofer and it makes no noise and is smooth. On the bad side, when I push in on the woofer, I feel a little resistance, and then hear a crackling sound. That's what I noticed first. a few days later, I noticed the sound stage sounded way off. At closer listening, the top woofer and tweeter both play, but at a MUCH lower volume then any of the other speakers. The woofer in the middle of the speaker, plays perfect.

Yes I did change the Channels, left to right, and right to left, and the problem changed sides. I even set them up on a different amp, with the same result. Do you think Jon will help, though I bought from a more local dealer? Anyway, I will look him up.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I talked to Jon and he is 95% sure its the speakers, not the crossovers. Seems odd for 3 of 4 to go bad. And I still don't understand how the top woofer and tweeter playing at much lower levels is caused by bad speakers. But he did say it sounded like my amp was clipping and damaged that speaker. Does this sound right to you all? If so I will order new speakers and replace them tonight :-)
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak244 View Post

Ok I talked to Jon and he is 95% sure its the speakers, not the crossovers. Seems odd for 3 of 4 to go bad. And I still don't understand how the top woofer and tweeter playing at much lower levels is caused by bad speakers. But he did say it sounded like my amp was clipping and damaged that speaker. Does this sound right to you all? If so I will order new speakers and replace them tonight :-)

Yep. You're much more likely to damage a speaker by over driving it with a low power amp than you are over powering it with a high power amp.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

I ran them on a Cambridge Audio 640R Receiver. That being said... I will be buying a new system to run these. So what Pre/Pro setup would you suggest in the 3K range? These will be used in a 7.1 Home Theater system.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page