Need some direction with starting from scratch - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wow I guess generalities aren't allowed here, even when many members here seem to have little to no background in the audio field (and if they do, I'm not a mind reader so I tend to write in general terms until I know better).

Anyhoo.......

Quote:
If they sound different, they measure different. But a FRD in and of itself won't reveal that. That's why we have such goodies as polar and waterfall plots.
I agree. I wrote what I wrote because the FR of a component is brought up a lot, as if it was the only aspect one needs to determine sound quality.

Quote:
Some receivers could sound different than others, mostly due to the stiffness of the power supply.
Yep. (for the newbies ---->)Take two receivers with a 100 watt/channel rating, one built by McIntosh and the other built by Pioneer for four hundred bucks and see which one can reveal the full potential of a pair of B&W 801s. biggrin.gif Or for other old guys smile.gif, a pair of Acoustic Research AR9s.

To the OP: always listen for yourself to decide what sounds best to you. Over the years I've seen many components measure great, but when I went and actually heard them - yikes, no thanks. Because in addition to perception of a component's sound, I strongly believe that one's opinion is also affected by the specific characteristics of the individual's physical hearing system (i.e. versus other people's physical hearing systems). So I believe striving for machine-measured sonic perfection could - not will, but could - lead to disappointment in the user's living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Um, getting a little off topic here -^
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Your budget for a sub is fine. If your room is 20x20 (how high are the ceilings?) the next choice might be do you want a single (would need to be large) sub or dual subs?

Note - dual subs is not for more/louder bass, but to even out the bass in the whole room.
Ok, but before recommending overkill on the subs to someone who isn't really using them for HT - there are other options. If you have placement flexibility and more or less one listening position, two subs isn't necessary for the OP's needs and isn't a good use of budget.
post #63 of 68 Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

So what receivers are the "punchiest" since surely this is being measured somehow? Or is it just based on rumor, second hand experiences, myths, etc? Sounds like sonic male cow feces to me.
Somewhat theoretical in practice but there are readily measurable differences in amplifiers (and the amp section of receivers). Eg, slew rate and damping factor. Note the discussion of their significance or lack thereof.

I wouldn't worry about any of them for the OPs needs.
post #64 of 68 Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

I'm done. smile.gif
post #65 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
Quote:

Somewhat theoretical in practice but there are readily measurable differences in amplifiers (and the amp section of receivers). Eg, slew rate and damping factor. Note the discussion of their significance or lack thereof.
These are factors that will influence amp behavior, but only slightly, and in most cases inaudibly. For instance:
http://diyspeakers.net/Articles/Richard%20Pierce%20DAMPING%20FACTOR.pdf

The fact of the matter is that there are few differences in the power amp sections of most AVR manufacturers; most of them source out their power amps from third parties. For that matter most of them source just about everything. If you want to make a comparison that's worthwhile look at how much power they draw. You can find a dozen AVRs that all claim, for instance, 100w x 7 for power output, but it's the ones that draw at least 800w from the outlet that might actually be capable of delivering it.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about any of them for the OPs needs.
+1.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #66 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Ok, but before recommending overkill on the subs to someone who isn't really using them for HT - there are other options. If you have placement flexibility and more or less one listening position, two subs isn't necessary for the OP's needs and isn't a good use of budget.

My suggestion was that the OP should "make a choice" re one sub or dual subs - it's a fair suggestion and meant to open the conversation re things like ...
- "... placement flexibility and more or less one listening position..." which wasn't known when the suggestion was made.
- Dual subs is not a HT only choice. Lots of primarily music listening folks use two subs to smooth out the room's bass and crossover.
- Does the OP listen to just stereo music or surround music tracks/concert-films also, to classical and/or house, etc.

IME, for HT vs Music the primary sub choice is whether to spend the extra money on subs that are strong in the below 24hz range - you need that range for serious HT/surround but not for music and it significantly affects the cost of a sub.
post #67 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Sub debates and how many - will continue till the end of the world. >
And still seems to be, one of the most sensitive discussions around.

However, nothing wrong with buying 1 subwoofer to start with. For many
out there, they will be more than happy with one subwoofer.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #68 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Good advice.
Reply Speakers

Tags