Are Polk Audio RTI A3 recommended over B&W 686? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
also you have to keep in mind that you are in a bedroom situation and those subs will literally rattle the house, so if you are living with others may not be a good idea.
mark62 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

also you have to keep in mind that you are in a bedroom situation and those subs will literally rattle the house, so if you are living with others may not be a good idea.

I do live with others and it would be a good idea for payback around here lol
php111 is offline  
post #63 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

Without what was mentioned in here or what was already mentioned, what would be "your" first speaker choice in your preference?

listen, only you can decide what is best for you.

if it was my choice it would be the Focals hands down. they are a very nice speaker. and if their rated sensitivity is honest they will play quite a bit louder than your b & w's
mark62 is offline  
post #64 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

listen, only you can decide what is best for you.

if it was my choice it would be the Focals hands down. they are a very nice speaker. and if their rated sensitivity is honest they will play quite a bit louder than your b & w's

Thank you so much!

And now what should be done to setup a sub in the receiver? I am asking cuz in my opinion I would like a sub.
php111 is offline  
post #65 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,576
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

And now what should be done to setup a sub in the receiver? I am asking cuz in my opinion I would like a sub.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDYi-dPn_rc

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #66 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,576
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Continued
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpSAQDjuWN0

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #67 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,576
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 417
And continued
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCIMufCQLk

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #68 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
zieglj01 i didnt watch the videos but he has a stereo receiver with a sub out. do stereo receivers setup the same way as a 5.1 or would he have to set the xover on the sub itself?

and to php you will need a SPL meter and some test tones.
mark62 is offline  
post #69 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

zieglj01 i didnt watch the videos but he has a stereo receiver with a sub out. do stereo receivers setup the same way as a 5.1 or would he have to set the xover on the sub itself?

and to php you will need a SPL meter and some test tones.

And what is a SPL meter and some test zones and where to get them from?
php111 is offline  
post #70 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,576
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

zieglj01 i didnt watch the videos but he has a stereo receiver with a sub out. do stereo receivers setup the same way as a 5.1 or would he have to set the xover on the sub itself?

He will set the Xover on the sub - starting with 80 hz.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #71 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

He will set the Xover on the sub - starting with 80 hz.


if he got the Focals wouldnt he start somewhere around 60hz? since they are rated 3dB down at 55 hz?

i really think the OP is going to have a hard time understanding all this. but has to start somewhere i guess.
mark62 is offline  
post #72 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,576
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

if he got the Focals wouldnt he start somewhere around 60hz? since they are rated 3dB down at 55 hz?

i really think the OP is going to have a hard time understanding all this. but has to start somewhere i guess.

I would start with 80 hz - he will get plenty of punch and dynamics.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #73 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

And what is a SPL meter and some test zones and where to get them from?

meter http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-AVM2050-ANALOGUE-SOUND-LEVEL/dp/B000LR169Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390108244&sr=1-2&keywords=spl+meter

your gonna need bass warble tones and a 1khz reference tone or white or pink noise. dont know where to get them, not looking.

been a long time since i set a sub up this way.

basically you need to blend the sub with the speakers.
mark62 is offline  
post #74 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,576
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

And what is a SPL meter and some test zones and where to get them from?

There needs to be a simple beginning to start with - use the sub volume control to start with,
to balance the sound with the receiver.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #75 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

There needs to be a simple beginning to start with - use the sub volume control to start with,
to balance the sound with the receiver.

yeah on the back of the sub there will be a volume control and a crossover setting control. set the crossover around 80hz, maybe 70hz then play music and turn the volume up on the sub until it blends without over powering the speakers.
mark62 is offline  
post #76 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

yeah on the back of the sub there will be a volume control and a crossover setting control. set the crossover around 80hz, maybe 70hz then play music and turn the volume up on the sub until it blends without over powering the speakers.

And that's it? So just plugged the sub into Pre out on receiver and than set the crossover on sub to 80hz and turn up the volume on sub until blends in and than it would be done?
php111 is offline  
post #77 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

And that's it? So just plugged the sub into Pre out on receiver and than set the crossover on sub to 80hz and turn up the volume on sub until blends in and than it would be done?

thats the crude way to do it, but yeah....

and need one of these...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6305&seq=1&format=2
mark62 is offline  
post #78 of 86 Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,267
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 166
As for hooking your subwoofer up to your receiver

Read the manual COVER to COVER!

They explain it in the manual. And you NEED to read the manual cover to cover as you are struggling to listen to people here when they are telling you what you need to do.

So your budget is $400? (That is the price of Polk RTi A3's)
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #79 of 86 Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

As for hooking your subwoofer up to your receiver

Read the manual COVER to COVER!

They explain it in the manual. And you NEED to read the manual cover to cover as you are struggling to listen to people here when they are telling you what you need to do.

So your budget is $400? (That is the price of Polk RTi A3's)

It's true "most" manuals do tell you how to setup a subwoofer, but "most" is not the same thing as saying "all" manuals tell you how. The manual for my receiver tells you to connect it to preout and does not tell you how to set it up.

http://onkyo-audio.pl/uploads/files/ins/integra/dtm-5.9.pdf

That's the manual.
php111 is offline  
post #80 of 86 Old 01-19-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

thats the crude way to do it, but yeah....

and need one of these...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6305&seq=1&format=2

Mark,

Without setting up a sub the crude way, how to step it up the right way by following exactly step by step instructions from start to finish?
php111 is offline  
post #81 of 86 Old 01-19-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,267
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

It's true "most" manuals do tell you how to setup a subwoofer, but "most" is not the same thing as saying "all" manuals tell you how. The manual for my receiver tells you to connect it to preout and does not tell you how to set it up.

http://onkyo-audio.pl/uploads/files/ins/integra/dtm-5.9.pdf

That's the manual.
Go to pg13 the section is called. "Connecting a Powered Subwoofer" rolleyes.gif
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #82 of 86 Old 01-19-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Go to pg13 the section is called. "Connecting a Powered Subwoofer" rolleyes.gif

That's right and that is all. Only connecting but not how to set it up.
php111 is offline  
post #83 of 86 Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,267
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

That's right and that is all. Only connecting but not how to set it up.
Fine
Phase= 0
Crossover knob to 80-100 hz
Gain knob until it blends smoothly with the bookshelves and doesn't overpower. Really no more than 50% to 60% tops should be needed
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #84 of 86 Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you!
php111 is offline  
post #85 of 86 Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

i see the sub output, but i dont see how you set it up in the receiver.

Response from Integra is below. It's a copy/paste from my email. I just received it like a matter of minutes ago.

Good Afternoon,

The sub is connected in the subwoofer pre-out connection and that is all that is needed to be done. There aren't any adjustments that need to be done to get the sub to work on this receiver. Just make sure the volume on the sub itself is up to a decent level.
php111 is offline  
post #86 of 86 Old 01-28-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

Response from Integra is below. It's a copy/paste from my email. I just received it like a matter of minutes ago.

Good Afternoon,

The sub is connected in the subwoofer pre-out connection and that is all that is needed to be done. There aren't any adjustments that need to be done to get the sub to work on this receiver. Just make sure the volume on the sub itself is up to a decent level.

So it looks like the receiver just sends a full range signal to the sub... so just follow the post above to set up the sub...
mark62 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Rti A3 Bookshelf Speakers , Klipsch Rb 61 Ii Reference Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers Black Pair , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Jbl L830 3 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Loudspeaker Pair Black
Gear in this thread - L830 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off