(Update: 3/19/14) Arx A1b vs Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE vs Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 vs Energy RC-10 vs Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1 - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 267 Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithandWesson View Post

Thanks Danny. As far as contacting Carnegie, you might want to let them know that their listed number appears to be incorrect. It goes to a gentleman who told me he doesn't not work for Carnegie but he keeps getting calls from people like myself. I am not trying to sling any mud, just putting forward my experience(good and bad)for other consumers. I'm sure these speakers are properly designed and this is just a freak incident. Lemons happen. I'm sure others as well as myself are curious to hear what your assessment of them is when they arrive.

I'll let them know about the incorrect phone number listed and have them correct it if possible.

Again sorry to hear of these issues. I have forwarded a message to them to get a new pair on the way. I am sure they will ship out promptly.

And we are working on a deal to get all of their stock out of the Chicago warehouse and down here to Texas so I can handle their shipping for them. Shipping cost and warehouse spaces in Chicago are much higher than down here in Texas.

Danny Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 267 Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Richie View Post

I'll let them know about the incorrect phone number listed and have them correct it if possible.

Again sorry to hear of these issues. I have forwarded a message to them to get a new pair on the way. I am sure they will ship out promptly.

And we are working on a deal to get all of their stock out of the Chicago warehouse and down here to Texas so I can handle their shipping for them. Shipping cost and warehouse spaces in Chicago are much higher than down here in Texas.

Understood, thank you! smile.gif

Main System: SVS Ultra Towers - 15" custom ported subwoofer - SVS PB-1000 - Pioneer 1522k

Computer System: Carnagie Acoustics CSB-1 - 12' Onkyo sealed subwoofer - Pioneer VSX-92 THX

Other speakers owned or auditioned: Aperion T6 - Ascend CBM-170 - Energy RC-10 - Wharfdale 10.1 - Arx A1b
post #243 of 267 Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:

What is the P.O. Box in Ashland, KY used for?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #244 of 267 Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What is the P.O. Box in Ashland, KY used for?

The owner of the company (Cecil) lives there. I am sure he uses it for typical business mailing and receiving.

Danny Richie
post #245 of 267 Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The owner of the company (Cecil) lives there. I am sure he uses it for typical business mailing and receiving.
Thank you.

post #246 of 267 Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
S&W,
Didn't you mention that when you opened the Carnegies up, there were metal shavings of some sort on the inside? Any chance any of them were big enough to short out the tweeter? BTW, I'm glad you're reviewing these speakers. I'm impressed with the fact that in spite of this issue, you didn't resort to bad-mouthing the company or the product. You just stated the facts and how the facts made you feel....and didn't speculate TOO much. That's better than I would have managed.

Danny,
It's good of you to step in on this issue. That's very respectable.
charmerci likes this.
post #247 of 267 Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post

S&W,
Didn't you mention that when you opened the Carnegies up, there were metal shavings of some sort on the inside? Any chance any of them were big enough to short out the tweeter? BTW, I'm glad you're reviewing these speakers. I'm impressed with the fact that in spite of this issue, you didn't resort to bad-mouthing the company or the product. You just stated the facts and how the facts made you feel....and didn't speculate TOO much. That's better than I would have managed..

They were basically what looked like small metal nuggets ranging from the size of a large grain of sand up to about the size of 1/3rd of a grain of rice. I was stupid and didn't take any photos... They got caught up in the magnets on the front of the tweeter. I don't know enough about this type of tweeter and how its built but I imagine free metal debris near electronics is not a good thing. Who knows...maybe there were some that got behind the plastic back cup when it was being made. Anything is possible I suppose.

As far as bad mouthing goes, I don't want to be "that guy" who has beef with a company and to start drama. I pride myself on being neutral and unbiased. I tend call it like i see it. If one of my favorite companies makes a crap product I wont hesitate to say what I think about it. Theres a website which is operated by some folks in the UK and some people have noticed that they tend to rate UK made speakers higher than other brands. I think that may have damaged their credibility a bit. I don't want that to be the case with myself.

Besides, its still way to early to say anything overly positive or negative. Danny has yet to receive my speakers and I have yet to receive replacements so I will save most of my comments till after the whole thing is said and done. I need to give Danny/Carnagie a chance to do right.

Main System: SVS Ultra Towers - 15" custom ported subwoofer - SVS PB-1000 - Pioneer 1522k

Computer System: Carnagie Acoustics CSB-1 - 12' Onkyo sealed subwoofer - Pioneer VSX-92 THX

Other speakers owned or auditioned: Aperion T6 - Ascend CBM-170 - Energy RC-10 - Wharfdale 10.1 - Arx A1b
post #248 of 267 Old 03-21-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That is all very respectable. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to "start drama" to get results. As long as you stick to the facts theres nothing wrong with that.
It is worth noting again that even though Danny says that Carnegie is "easily reached by phone or email" via their website the phone number is useless because it is incorrect and you have received absolutely no response from multiple emails over quite some time.
Billy p likes this.

post #249 of 267 Old 04-02-2014, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

My replacement CSB-1s arrived. Finish is much better on this pair. Not as swirl free as some other brands but a big step up from my past pair. I didn't find any metal chunks in the tweeter on this pair.

The other pair got an autopsy and it was determined that the tweeter was burned and the crossover was fine despite its burnt appearance. I paid 100 dollars for the burned tweeter and 45 dollars shipping for the damaged pair in exchange for the new pair. Still not sure what exactly caused the death of the other speaker.

post #250 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad you got some good replacements. Thanks for the update.

post #251 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I don't think he should have had to pay anything, though. Definitely would never buy anything from that company.
post #252 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

I don't think he should have had to pay anything, though. Definitely would never buy anything from that company.

Yeah I agree. I can't see any reason for the speaker being damaged by him, and with all the issues it shipped with, I would just classify those as lemons. I don't want to say anything bad about the company, but I would wager 4/5 companies would have replaced those speakers free of charge. Nonetheless, I am glad you got the issue resolved.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #253 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I paid 100 dollars for the burned tweeter and 45 dollars shipping for the damaged pair in exchange for the new pair. Still not sure what exactly caused the death of the other speaker.

You were charged $100 for the tweeter? That is the BG Neo 3 tweeter, correct?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #254 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

The type of damage that the tweeter suffered wasn't covered by BGs warranty so that's why I had to pay. One way the could have died was from too much power which would be user error. I can't wrap my head around how they could have gotten too much power given the levels but it is what it is. I lack the testicular fortitude to run these new speakers through the same tests under the same conditions as the last pair on the off chance that there is something wrong with equipment that caused the failure.

It sucks not knowing exactly what went wrong since if it was indeed my fault some how I want to learn from that so I don't do whatever I did again. Looking back at the logs I can't find anything I did wrong. All the levels seemed to be set to a safe position. So unfortunately there's nothing to go off of.

post #255 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You were charged $100 for the tweeter? That is the BG Neo 3 tweeter, correct?

Yes I believe it's the Neo 3 PDR

post #256 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The type of damage that the tweeter suffered wasn't covered by BGs warranty so that's why I had to pay. One way the could have died was from too much power which would be user error. I can't wrap my head around how they could have gotten too much power given the levels but it is what it is. I lack the testicular fortitude to run these new speakers through the same tests under the same conditions as the last pair on the off chance that there is something wrong with equipment that caused the failure.

It sucks not knowing exactly what went wrong since if it was indeed my fault some how I want to learn from that so I don't do whatever I did again. Looking back at the logs I can't find anything I did wrong. All the levels seemed to be set to a safe position. So unfortunately there's nothing to go off of.

Quote:

Yes I believe it's the Neo 3 PDR
If you accept fault, I think it is OK for them to charge you.

My biggest issue would be them charging you retail pricing on the tweeter, when obviously that is not their cost. Danny Ritchie sells the tweeter for $87, $85.50 at Parts Express...and they are making money. You did get a new pair of speakers, but they are going to repair the returned pair, and sell them again.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #257 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yeah that's pretty messed up. Especially after this thread in which you just did them a favor (up until this issue)

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #258 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My biggest issue would be them charging you retail pricing on the tweeter, when obviously that is not their cost. Danny Ritchie sells the tweeter for $87, $85.50 at Parts Express...and they are making money. You did get a new pair of speakers, but they are going to repair the returned pair, and sell them again.

That's a good point... Never thought about that. I was also charged shipping($15) since I was going to replace the tweeter myself before I found the burned resistor and mismatched midranges.

post #259 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's a good point... Never thought about that. I was also charged shipping($15) since I was going to replace the tweeter myself before I found the burned resistor and mismatched midranges.
Please clarify; you were charged $100 plus another $15 for shipping on a tweeter you never actually took delivery on?

Who did you pay? Danny or Carnegie?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #260 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Please clarify; you were charged $100 plus another $15 for shipping on a tweeter you never actually took delivery on?

Who did you pay? Danny or Carnegie?

101.6 total including the shipping. Danny.

post #261 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Transmaniacon and SuperFan like this.

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #262 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

101.6 total including the shipping. Danny.
If you are satisfied with how things were handled, then that's all that matters.

Have you measured this pair?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #263 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you are satisfied with how things were handled, then that's all that matters.

Have you measured this pair?

I did some RTA with pink noise just to throw a house curve on. I did not compare the L&R channels directly. I got injured at Police Academy so it's tough for me to move around messing with speakers. Nothing jumped out during the individual measurements. I may do some more detailed measurements later.

post #264 of 267 Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If it helps, I've been playing my pair every day and cranking them up about a couple times a week trouble free.
post #265 of 267 Old 04-04-2014, 08:57 PM

S&W,
Good luck with this pair. Hopefully no issues.
post #266 of 267 Old 05-18-2014, 10:00 PM

So how do things sound now that you've had a while to let them settle in?
post #267 of 267 Old 05-18-2014, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post

So how do things sound now that you've had a while to let them settle in?

They are great. No problems to report and no noticeable change in sound since the day I got them. I have been playing Arma 3 with an audiophile sound mod and the simulator really comes to life. Gun fire and explosions sound fantastic. Also REW is a must have tool for me, its amazing how "right" speakers can sound once you apply a house curve.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cbm 170 Se , Wharfedale Diamond 10 1 Blackwood Pr Bookshelf Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page