post #331 of 798 Old 01-25-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

I would have suggested running a Sh50 per channel on an RMX 5050.

But it depends on how hard there were pushed. Having lots of power is a good idea-as long as you don't "lay the coal to it".

You were talking about a DJ, and many times they use the clip lights as signal lights

The problem compounds when you consider that many DJs run highly compressed music-so the average power is much higher than with "normal" material.

One of the "problems" with the SH50 and all Danley products is that because of the low distortion (due to the low pass nature of how the drivers are loaded into the horn), you don't realize they are as loud as they actually are. Many people associate level with distortion. So when the distortion is low-they drive it harder, looking for "that sound".

I'm going on the assumption they were beat pretty good, he's a 26 year old guy that plays outdoor raves etc. and who knows what the guy before him did. Ahh well, I had asked for a list of Canadian dealers on facebook, email and prosoundweb but never got a response on any of them (other than a dealer from the US)

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 798 Old 01-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
True but when I retire from navy I don't want to do science anymore. Perhaps teaching juco.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #333 of 798 Old 01-25-2014, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
West coast Canadian contact for Danley is http://www.mergesystems.ca/. Found him a few days ago, Lance is his name. Edmonton, Alberta. 780-800-0422 ext. 219 (w)
post #334 of 798 Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

Many people associate level with distortion. So when the distortion is low-they drive it harder, looking for "that sound".

Too true!

David Budo
post #335 of 798 Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

That slope is so slippery indeed. I remember when I first got into the hobby the thought of 3K on a whole 5.1 setup seemed the absolute most I'd ever spend. Then 4000 on lcr seemed like my max. A couple months ago I thought about upgrading to 212's and now I'm contemplating catalysts and SM60's. Jeez, when will my sickness be satisfied lol?

The sickness wont ever be satisfied, guys like us become as interested in the journey as the destination. There always seems to be something cooler we could be missing out on.

I finished an 11.3 setup and now i am wondering about 20.12 setups.... Lol. Two 6 subwoofer line arrays (kinda like in the theater of the month thread). Prepare for dolby atmos!
Dbuudo07 likes this.

Blazar!
post #336 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Alright, I wanna see some Danley's already boys
post #337 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

biggrin.gif

Getting ready to head over to the owner's place. 35 minute drive and aiming to get there right at 2:00

So far Archaea, Stitch1, Mrsmithers, Luke Kamp, and Jedimastergrant are all coming over. A couple other guys have to work today.

Can't wait!
post #338 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

biggrin.gif

Getting ready to head over to the owner's place. 35 minute drive and aiming to get there right at 2:00

So far Archaea, Stitch1, Mrsmithers, Luke Kamp, and Jedimastergrant are all coming over. A couple other guys have to work today.

Can't wait!

post #339 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 329
post #340 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Haha....Yea me too!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #341 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Haha....Yea me too!

That has to be an understatement! !!

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #342 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Very much looking forward to everyone's Danley insights!

David Budo
post #343 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

My personal opinion having heard them in my room - I think the 212's have a slight edge in upper end smoothness, but the Yorks have a stronger, more pronouned midbass. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy owning the 212s, but if one looks hard the pricing on used U215's is borderline insanity. smile.gif

Totally concur on the York's value Gorilla! My first pair of U15's were $650 shipped to my door and a 3-pack was added a few months later for $1400. Started out looking for U215's, but figured U15's would suffice for the application...a 12 FI/SI18" driver IB setup going into a 2000 cu.ft. room totally floating in space over a garage...if impact is somehow lacking, I'll whip something up for midbass using dual 15" 2226J's in front-loaded horns under each U15. smile.gif

I have not had the opportunity to hear the Noesis, but am familiar with the BMS coax in the 2" format though (have 3 each 4590 and 4592 drivers and also a pair of Tannoy VQ 60 LIVE Net that use the 4592).

For the money you can find the Unity cabs for, they are simply a stupid bargain.

The Danley stuff is very intriguing -- can't wait to hear some more impressions on Beast's SH50's!!! Although maybe I should just look away as I've contracted a bad case of Collector-itis over the years (adding speakers without the seemingly common-sense ability to sell some to make way for more).
post #344 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ya know, I'm having this inner struggle right now. I found a trio of York U215s, a pair of SH50s and I'm fighting hard not to buy them both! I don't even have my room done yet and I can't stop buying crap. biggrin.gif

I feel your pain Chop (see above). smile.gif
post #345 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

I purchased the first set of Legacy Focus SE's in Sept. of 2011
Sold them in April of 2013.

Bought the Cats in June of 2013
Sold them Jan 2014

New design Focus SE's in place Jan 2014.

Over the entire changeup I think I came out -$2500 only because the new Legacy's cost me a couple grand more than the first ones.

So there was an upcharge for the upgrade. I didn't bother with room treatments as I knew I wanted to change direction back to predominantly two channel listening.

The new AirMotion Legacy's definitely disperse better than the previous version.

If I had a dedicated theater like Andrew I probably would not have sold the CATs. They sounded great in his room, both GTG's.

They sounded good in my rec room except for the lack of dampening. My wife and I weren't interested in changing walls and decor around and I was chompin at the bit for the change.

Congrats on the reacquisition of Legacies! I've been listening to a pair of Focus HD's for the last 6 weeks or so and am digging them quite a bit. They have the same ribbon drivers as Dmark1's Focus SE's and Whispers; great drivers but I bet the AMT's are a nice upgrade. smile.gif A pair of Signature III's came with the Focus HD's and they are a damn fine speaker in their own right.
post #346 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Were waiting!!
Quote:

Haha....Yea me too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Very much looking forward to everyone's Danley insights!

While you're waiting, here's a taste of a Danley system. Amazing clarity. (No, this is not a desk feed!)

post #347 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 140
With the Big artic chill coming to the Midwest carp just sent me a PM and wanted me to pass along that FedEx will likely be closed for several weeks....if not months. He has graciously offered to house sit the Danleys indefinitely. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #348 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

Congrats on the reacquisition of Legacies! I've been listening to a pair of Focus HD's for the last 6 weeks or so and am digging them quite a bit. They have the same ribbon drivers as Dmark1's Focus SE's and Whispers; great drivers but I bet the AMT's are a nice upgrade. smile.gif A pair of Signature III's came with the Focus HD's and they are a damn fine speaker in their own right.

I consider Legacys more of a precision monitor design. No comparison to the HT designs.

See My Setup Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

post #349 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

With the Big artic chill coming to the Midwest carp just sent me a PM and wanted me to pass along that FedEx will likely be closed for several weeks....if not months. He has graciously offered to house sit the Danleys indefinitely. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

That's funny. Regular comedian this guy here.....

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #350 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

I consider Legacys more of a precision monitor design. No comparison to the HT designs.

If the "HT designs" are the Cats, Noesis, etc., that's a good way to describe the Legacy stuff. They are two different approaches for sure! I'm lucky enough to have a couple of different areas to listen in -- the pro stuff (Yorkville Unity, BMS coax on JBL 2360 horns, Tannoy 12's) is for the HT room and the more music oriented system gets LS6 arrays, Maggie 3.6R's, ML CLSIIa stats, and Carver Amazings (along with the Legacys) rotated in and out.
post #351 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am supposed to fly out tomorrow night to KC.... if needed, I can babysit them in my hotel room Beast. wink.gif
post #352 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's funny. Regular comedian this guy here.....

Hahaha....I they babysit yours, you can babysit mine that are coming from GA. biggrin.gif
post #353 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I am supposed to fly out tomorrow night to KC.... if needed, I can babysit them in my hotel room Beast. wink.gif

I'll overnight the marantz and Sherbourn so you can get a good listen in smile.gif Carp mentioned the shipping boxes are really just that, cardboard, with little feet on the corners of front of the speaker. Pretty shoddy, so too bad you aren't driving or I would say toss those bad boys in the minivan and I will trip down to Kville one evening next week.

Quote:

Hahaha....I they babysit yours, you can babysit mine that are coming from GA. biggrin.gif

You scooped the ones down in Lawrencville!?!?! Dude! 2 hours away, and while I was searching for Danley's I did reach out to that guy smile.gif

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #354 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll overnight the marantz and Sherbourn so you can get a good listen in smile.gif Carp mentioned the shipping boxes are really just that, cardboard, with little feet on the corners of front of the speaker. Pretty shoddy, so too bad you aren't driving or I would say toss those bad boys in the minivan and I will trip down to Kville one evening next week.
You scooped the ones down in Lawrencville!?!?! Dude! 2 hours away, and while I was searching for Danley's I did reach out to that guy smile.gif

Yeah, just talked to him....told him I'd check to make sure you weren't gonna want them first. He's going to meet my halfway...I have to be in AC for business next week so I figure I may as well just keep going and grab em' the day I leave. I have to source a good third now too though. The sad part is that once the seosr are dialed in I'll only end up using one set at a time, what the hell is wrong with me biggrin.gif

Carp, WTF?!?!?!?! Where's the pics and impressions dude??? biggrin.gif
post #355 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Everyone has left and I'm listening to music. I apologize for not replying to all texts and phone calls, my phone has been going nuts - I figured I'd just post here to answer your guys questions. My ears are FAR from perfect so take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I tend to ramble....

009_zpsb0a099c6.jpg

007_zpsab985b22.jpg

004_zps8886ca07.jpg

003_zpsaf6acc38.jpg

001_zps995b811a.jpg

What a fun afternoon/evening!

Currently the Danleys are on the wall like in the first picture and I'm alone now listening to music. I'm kind of bummed though, because I'm convinced they sounded better when we had them away from the wall like in some of the other pictures (and there is no way in hell I am moving them back by myself). It could be because my first row is so close to the speakers. I'm 10 feet roughly from them, and my walls are 17.5 wide. I think that's too wide to sit this close.

I have never heard such clarity. Clear. Clear. Clear. Clear.

Ok, you get the point.

There are things I like and things I don't. What I love the, yep, you guessed it - the clarity. Also they sound better as you walk around the room and on the second row than the Noesis do, that is for sure. Consistency of the sound in the room is really impressive, I've never experienced that in here before.

I also love the imaging. We played a Radio Head song called Everything in it's Right Place. My god, the singer was in the room. Even better than the Whispers or Triad's (however not a fair comparison because I didn't hear that song on those speakers).

There was one point when I was listening to Dream Theater's Count of Tuscany that I just got completely lost in the music (like I do with the 212's) and I feel a tap on my shoulder and mrsmithers is showing me the radio shack meter. 105 db's. You have to be kidding me. I would have guessed like 92.... eek.gif Now, since I've been listening alone I haven't gone above 85 db's.

On another Dream Theater song Learning to Live, I heard annunciations that I have not noticed before and I've heard that song probably hundreds of times.

The movie clips sounded fantastic, I watched most from the second row and thought the clarity and overall sound was noticeably better than what I'm used to. The front row was much more similar.

Discombobulate dynamics scared me even though I know exactly what's coming. Best I've heard since Chops speakers.

There are some things I don't like. I am noticing that I'm getting tired of listening. That doesn't happen with the Noesis (haha, I'm sure DT at 105 db's didn't help either). I think in my room I need the highs of the Danley's to be eq'd down.

This could go along with what I just said, but I'm not getting that addicted to the sound feeling that I'm used to. A lot of metal I'm playing sounds kind of lifeless. Dream Theater did not, but Megadeth, Nightwish, some Metallica, and then heavier bands like Amon Amarth, Kataklysm, Slayer etc. is not sounding that great to me - kind of a dull sound. South of Heaven now playing and I find myself wanting to turn it down. It doesn't seem bright, just dull. I don't understand that... maybe I'm deaf from the DT earlier. I'll go back to DT and see if it still sounds great...
yep, still sounds fantastic.

So I guess my overall impressions so far are that on some songs/artists the Danley's sound better than the 212's but the 212's are more consistent across the board.

Hmmm finding myself getting tired of listening again. I'm going to mess with the treble tone control. Currently listening to Opeth. Turned town the treble 2 db's. I know, it's a big no-no to mess with tone controls... whatever.

That's better, still missing the Noesis on this one too.

Tom Sawyer sounds incredible. If you don't like Rush, fine. If you don't like the Moving Pictures album then **** you. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Pink Floyd's Breathe in the Air is great too, sounds a bit dead/flat to me though. What the hell. That makes no sense.

Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath is completely drawing me in... oh man - Ozzy is right in front me! This is awesome and very creepy - you know what I mean if you are familiar with this song.

Hmmm Pantera sounds great, I would have predicted the opposite.

Ok, this is probably pointless to everyone but I thought I would just write in this post over time while listening to random songs.

I'm going to listen more tomorrow, Jonathan should be coming over. Brandon is going to have the shipping company pick the speakers up on Tuesday. Coolest f'n guy ever. cool.gifsmile.gif

I think it Brandon's more treated room these are going to be awesome.

Point blank for me, if someone came in the room right now and was going to take 1 set of speakers and leave the other I'm keeping the 212's. Watch me say the opposite tomorrow.
Bunga99 and asoofi1 like this.
post #356 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully mrsmithers, jedimastergrant, luke kamp, and stitch1 will post some impressions too.
post #357 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear you are in front of them, though I have to say I'm not surprised at your impressions. From what I've been told, the SH50s can be the best damn speakers ever, but take a bit more work to get them "right" in your room. How's the midbass output in there as they sit?? I'd imagine pretty damn good. Watched any movies yet??
post #358 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad to hear you are in front of them, though I have to say I'm not surprised at your impressions. From what I've been told, the SH50s can be the best damn speakers ever, but take a bit more work to get them "right" in your room. How's the midbass output in there as they sit?? I'd imagine pretty damn good. Watched any movies yet??

I ended up moving them back off the wall and toed in a lot more, I prefer that in my room.

Yeah, we watched some clips. I didn't think there was a huge difference in the front row between the Danley's and the 212's, but there sure as hell was in the back row and when you walk around the room! The sound is so consistent no matter where you move. Very impressive. The only clip I didn't think sounded that great was the Iron Man 2 ACDC intro.
post #359 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Midbass is great, I'm not sure I notice it being much better than the 212's for music. On a couple of movie clips I thought the midbass was better.
post #360 of 798 Old 01-26-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Midbass is great, I'm not sure I notice it being much better than the 212's for music. On a couple of movie clips I thought the midbass was better.

I still prefer my subs handling the midbass with either set of speakers. Crossover at 150hz works great in this room the way I have the subs eq's with the minidsp. No localization, just great punchy/clean bass. When the guys were here we were crossed at 80 because 150 cross sounds boomy in a lot of seating positions - but not the main LP.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page