January 18th Loudspeaker GTG results thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 536
150Hz? Are those JTR speakers you have or are they Orbs? wink.gif Seriously, doesn't that make male voices sound very thick and chesty?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

150Hz? Are those JTR speakers you have or are they Orbs? wink.gif Seriously, doesn't that make male voices sound very thick and chesty?

In some parts of the room somewhat boomy, not so much the thick voices - and not at all at my main LP. Here is what it "sounds like" at my main LP:

However, without using the mini to eq like this - yes voices sound thick everywhere in the room including main LP.

If I crossover lower I can't get the nice smooth house curve, this is my favorite so far for music.
post #363 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:

I have mine set the same way and they sound amazing, not sure why you think they would sound think and chesty, maybe he like it!. EQ'd properly and there will be no noticeable difference vs xover at 80hz. I use 2242's from 150hz to 60hz on the Noesis.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #364 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So yeah, in other words if I don't have any eq from 80-150hz and I change the crossover to 150 it sounds like crap. With eq it sounds great! Punchy, smooth, etc.
N8DOGG likes this.
post #365 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

So yeah, in other words if I don't have any eq from 80-150hz and I change the crossover to 150 it sounds like crap. With eq it sounds great! Punchy, smooth, etc.

Pretty much exactly the same with me!
carp likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #366 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Carp, how much bigger are those Danley's than the ones beast brought to the GTG? They look huge in your photos.

post #367 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

Carp, how much bigger are those Danley's than the ones beast brought to the GTG? They look huge in your photos.

The pics don't do them justice. They are massive, so much bigger than Brandon's old speakers. I can't see a normal human carrying these alone.

The center is smaller. It is meant to be laid horizontal and has a 90 degree horizontal dispersion. We hooked it up. IMO it sounds just like the mains.
post #368 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 454
I thought they looked larger. I really liked Brandon ' s old ones.

post #369 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought they looked larger. I really liked Brandon ' s old ones.

Hard to compare from room to room but I think these are similar. Imo they do even better at keeping a consistent sound throughout the room. I've mentioned that a few times because it really is amazing.
post #370 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Flyweight - SM60F is 20.6 x 20.6 x 16.3 and 50 lbs.

Heavyweight - SH50 is 28 x 28 x 25.5 and 142! lbs.
post #371 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

The pics don't do them justice. They are massive, so much bigger than Brandon's old speakers. I can't see a normal human carrying these alone.

Sounds like a job for Swolephile.eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Pro Cinema Advocate

Anti-EQ "Ooh baby I like it raw"

So much gear, so little time.
post #372 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Question.

Did you disable MACC and all eq and reset distances for the current placement of the Danley? Or are you using the JTR settings? I'm sorry I didn't make it over today, but my wife appreciates much that I stayed home to visit the home again we are trying to buy and talk it over more!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #373 of 989 Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just ran across this review of the SM60F's. Wasn't too good. Positioning may have been wrong. Hmm...interesting Review
post #374 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

Just ran across this review of the SM60F's. Wasn't too good. Positioning may have been wrong. Hmm...interesting Review
Who knows really. No mention of gear running it or wether room was treated or what he listened too. Could b setup issues. Seems pretty vague. wouldn't take that "review" to seriously.

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #375 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 130
You can google Danley SH-50 reviews for reviews on these speakers. Here is a thread I read a year ago.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108953.0

Pro Cinema Advocate

Anti-EQ "Ooh baby I like it raw"

So much gear, so little time.
post #376 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

If the "HT designs" are the Cats, Noesis, etc., that's a good way to describe the Legacy stuff. They are two different approaches for sure! I'm lucky enough to have a couple of different areas to listen in -- the pro stuff (Yorkville Unity, BMS coax on JBL 2360 horns, Tannoy 12's) is for the HT room and the more music oriented system gets LS6 arrays, Maggie 3.6R's, ML CLSIIa stats, and Carver Amazings (along with the Legacys) rotated in and out.

That's an awful nice collection of speakers you have there for sure.
As you rotate through different setups, do you ever conclude on any particular setup ... say for HT and then for two channel? Or do you do it just to enjoy the characteristics of each design?

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #377 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You know it's funny. I was thinking about that design the other day and was wondering how they got that much sound out of those. Looking at the design the first thing that came to mind is a megaphone like the old one the guy used on "The Book of Eli"

That review is by "W. Jeff Meier". I presume by the website "About".

Notice he picked the Cats over the Danleys by price range, sound and value.

As we continue to listen to all of these speakers in different places, it's pretty obvious that they will all sound different as so many have said, in our personal environments.

The Danleys are a bit (exceptionally) ugly for my taste. Behind a screen who cares though. And as with all of the others, preferences seem to flirt with us depending on the host's setup and location.
Andrews room is different from what it was at the last GTG. I think that made a big difference.

See My System Here

post #378 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Everyone has left and I'm listening to music. I apologize for not replying to all texts and phone calls, my phone has been going nuts - I figured I'd just post here to answer your guys questions. My ears are FAR from perfect so take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I tend to ramble....

What a fun afternoon/evening!

Currently the Danleys are on the wall like in the first picture and I'm alone now listening to music. I'm kind of bummed though, because I'm convinced they sounded better when we had them away from the wall like in some of the other pictures (and there is no way in hell I am moving them back by myself). It could be because my first row is so close to the speakers. I'm 10 feet roughly from them, and my walls are 17.5 wide. I think that's too wide to sit this close.

I have never heard such clarity. Clear. Clear. Clear. Clear.
....chopped

Carp - Thanks for sharing! From talking to Mark S. last weekend we know the SH-50's may require a bit more setup and tweaking than your average HT speaker. That's great you got to hear them in your own room though.

They are monsters for sure, and probably not fun to move my yourself. biggrin.gif
post #379 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Question.

Did you disable MACC and all eq and reset distances for the current placement of the Danley? Or are you using the JTR settings? I'm sorry I didn't make it over today, but my wife appreciates much that I stayed home to visit the home again we are trying to buy and talk it over more!

No way would I use MCACC auto eq, it is horrible and measures way not flat too. For the 212's the only time I use the manual eq is on bad recordings I pull down 2-4 khz a couple of db's.

With the 212's I found i had to use the manual eq setting above more often before I got the wall and ceiling acoustic panels. Now I hardly use it at all.

As far as the Danley's go, no way they sound best all the way against the wall with my LP so close. I bet if I moved the subs and tri traps in the corners and moved them back 4 of 5 feet to the front corners that would work better for the main LP.

Last night when I would go back to the 2nd row the sound improved significantly compared to the front row when the Danleys were butted up on the side walls. That's a first, normally there is a pretty big difference in my room between the 1st and 2nd row with the 212's, the first row sounds quite a bit better so that's a big advantage for the Danley's for people with multiple rows.

I did notice that I had no problem shutting off the system and going to bed. That doesn't happen with the 212's, it's a struggle every night to force myself to stop listening to music on the 212's.

Absolutely no problem with not making it over - dude - you're buying a house we have to have a least a shred of keeping our priorities in order.... every once in a while.... I think?? biggrin.gif
post #380 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

Sounds like a job for Swolephile.eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Yeah, DD, Gorilla, Archaea etc. could do it. I'm talking normal people. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #381 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Carp - Thanks for sharing! From talking to Mark S. last weekend we know the SH-50's may require a bit more setup and tweaking than your average HT speaker. That's great you got to hear them in your own room though.

They are monsters for sure, and probably not fun to move my yourself. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm going to mess more with placement tonight. Maybe i'll put the minidsp in the chain so I can fully tweak from 2hkz up if I get time.
post #382 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

You can google Danley SH-50 reviews for reviews on these speakers. Here is a thread I read a year ago.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108953.0

Interesting thread. I bet the friend from the 2nd post would NOT have "heard the horn" or whatever if he heard the Danley's blind. Looks like the thread turns into petty arguments on page 2, don't see that happening here. smile.gif
post #383 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

I took care of my placement issue biggrin.gif

See My System Here

post #384 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

Yeah, I'm going to mess more with placement tonight. Maybe i'll put the minidsp in the chain so I can fully tweak from 2hkz up if I get time.

I'll be very interested to see this. Also, your comment above is exactly why I've grabbed a pair of these to experiment with....they may or may not be the best solution for multiple rows. After all, they were designed to create good sound for far more rows than even the largest multi-million dollar HTs. I have a feeling that the finished seosr will trump them handily in the midbass realm. The other thing I struggle with is the 4550 vs the 4594/seos24 combo. I will be doing some reading today for sure to see, midrange aside(obviously the Danley handles "point sourcing" drivers also, just differently) how the 4550 and 4594 HF sections compare. I know they are in different leagues, but how much of that has to do with the coax aspect and challanges incorporating the MF and HF on that 4594..?? I'm worried that the concensous is the sm60f has a better top end, and just wish it stepped up the midbass a bit, but maybe your experiment with the minidsp and the SH50s will show that the 50s can also have that top end with a bit of work.
post #385 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Reserved

I'm callin' u out son....been over a week, where are your priorities????

J/K biggrin.gif
post #386 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Everyone has left and I'm listening to music. I apologize for not replying to all texts and phone calls, my phone has been going nuts - I figured I'd just post here to answer your guys questions. My ears are FAR from perfect so take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I tend to ramble....

I have never heard such clarity. Clear. Clear. Clear. Clear.

[edited]

Point blank for me, if someone came in the room right now and was going to take 1 set of speakers and leave the other I'm keeping the 212's. Watch me say the opposite tomorrow.

Carp - how do you define clarity vs. resolution? When you say "clarity" do you mean "the instrument sounded clear" vs. "I could tell between two instruments" (for resolution)? I have heard clarity bring used a lot with Seaton/JTR and resolution with the more "audiophile" type of speakers (e.g. Salk) so was curious of your thoughts on this.
post #387 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 AM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:

Prose wasn't all that impressive, but folks will have their opinions. He basically started trashing the design right off the bat though with its "restricted" horn coverage patter....Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post

Carp - how do you define clarity vs. resolution? When you say "clarity" do you mean "the instrument sounded clear" vs. "I could tell between two instruments" (for resolution)? I have heard clarity bring used a lot with Seaton/JTR and resolution with the more "audiophile" type of speakers (e.g. Salk) so was curious of your thoughts on this.

This is what I am most excited about. The soundstage is of utmost importance to me so I am looking forward do dialing these guys in and having some extended listening sessions wink.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #388 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post

Good question. The part of my post you quoted I was specifically referring to the intelligibility of singing voices for music or speaking voices on movie clips and like you say, instruments also sounding very clear.

There was a clip we watched from the 25th anniversary Hall of Fame Blu-ray that had a Metallica song. I could hear Rob's bass guitar more cleanly and defined than I ever have on a Metallica concert disk. Now, I haven't heard this specific disk on my 212's yet BUT I have a ton of Metallica concert disks and have never heard the bass guitar that defined and separate from the other instruments. It was really cool. So in this case, yes I would be referring to what you ask about resolution.

I hope this helps, I'm not very good at describing what I like about a speaker. I need to learn to get better at doing that.
post #389 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

This is what I am most excited about. The soundstage is of utmost importance to me so I am looking forward do dialing these guys in and having some extended listening sessions wink.gif

Ok, yeah maybe I think of resolution as soundstage?

I also love getting the soundstage just right. With my 212's I spent forever getting the placement (distance from front walls, side walls, main LP, toe in) just right for my liking and it's awesome to locate the instruments along the front of the room.

With the Danley's the soundstage was the best I've heard as far as center imaging on one specific song, that Radio Head song, but I think I need the speakers closer together to get the same soundstage I am used to with the 212's as far as the rest of the insturments. Like I said though the center/singer was incredible. The voice (on radio head) was so separate and defined from all of the music, it was almost freaky - but in a good way.
post #390 of 989 Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
MAN!!!!!! I am getting SOO Stoked. All this talk, it's killing me biggrin.gif Haha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page