post #243 of 989 Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

So what your saying desertdome is that the Disturbed track should be shamed for even being allowed on the list.... biggrin.gif eh Jim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Told you it was not my fault tongue.gif

Pffft - the CD is (mostly) good music, it's your version that was crap. The fix was definitely in; take a saturated recording to begin with, find the worst possible spot you can and then include it in the mix. What was that anyway, a 64k MP3 file or something? My CD doesn't sound anywhere near that bad, although to be honest it ain't great either. Wait until I see you guys at Brandon's house! tongue.gif
rush2049 likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #244 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 180
A little aside from last weekend that will surprise some, but some will expect it knowing the speaker a bit more. Andrew, Matt and I spent a little time listening to the U215s on Sunday. Andrew will have to comment, but I think Audyssey was on for it. We listened to Spanish Harlem, some Dave Matthews and a couple of movie scenes, including the BOE shootout. I would say I'd have a hard time upgrading if I were him. The Yorks, to me, sounded as good as anything I remembered from Saturday. Now I know there were other factors at play like eq etc, but my point is that they are a real sleeper and work really well in his room. It would have been cool to get them in that blind test and really see how many people they surprised. Well done sir.
post #245 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yea those Yorkvilles sound really good.

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #246 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

A little aside from last weekend that will surprise some, but some will expect it knowing the speaker a bit more. Andrew, Matt and I spent a little time listening to the U215s on Sunday. Andrew will have to comment, but I think Audyssey was on for it. We listened to Spanish Harlem, some Dave Matthews and a couple of movie scenes, including the BOE shootout. I would say I'd have a hard time upgrading if I were him. The Yorks, to me, sounded as good as anything I remembered from Saturday. Now I know there were other factors at play like eq etc, but my point is that they are a real sleeper and work really well in his room. It would have been cool to get them in that blind test and really see how many people they surprised. Well done sir.

Audyssey on for movie clips, and off for the majority of the music clips IIRC. We did play them a bit louder than the 'standard' that was done on Saturday though. smile.gif I still need to build some larger stands to bring them up a bit higher though, I think that will help alot with response in the second row. Thanks for your thoughts, Jake!
post #247 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Man I love those Yorks without a doubt. A true sleeper for sure smile.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #248 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
post #249 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Hey fellas.
Danely helped with the cabinet design of the U215s, right?
From Ivan Beaver of Danley at ProSoundWeb:
Quote:
You have to remember that the Yorkville Unity products are "licensed" products-and NOT from Danley. Tom Danley doesn't get anything from them and did not design them for Yorkville. Their engineers did the design-with their own set of limitations/targets imposed, based on the concepts that Tom outlined.

I hear it all the time, from various people and they think they are getting the same sound from a Unity as they would from a Danley product (because Tom's name is attached to it) for a lower price.

First of all, the Yorkville products were designed for a price point. The Danley products were designed for a performance point. Tom Danley has learned a bit since the old Unity days (Yorkville and SPL) and the new products sound quite different-improved.

For what it is worth, the Yorkville products do provide a very good performance-especially for the price point. But when you hear them side by side, you quickly start to realize the differences.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #250 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:

Which is funny because weren't the York's at the last GTG along with the 212HT, and the Noesis were preferred by most over the Yorks?
post #251 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Which is funny because weren't the York's at the last GTG along with the 212HT, and the Noesis were preferred by most over the Yorks?

Not by me!!! I would have ranked the Yorks directly behind the cats, with Noesis being 3rd of the three. Personal opinion obviously

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #252 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Not by me!!! I would have ranked the Yorks directly behind the cats, with Noesis being 3rd of the three. Personal opinion obviously

Were all speakers run as small?

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
post #253 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28

Hi Guys

A friend told me about the GTG thread and figured I would comment.  I am pleased you guys did a blind test and by blind, where you don’t know what you’re hearing.   What you “hear” normally consists of what you know, want and see as well. 

While its hieratical hifi talk to suggest that our senses are intertwined nearly inextricably, there are some good examples of this being so;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

And consider the Led Zeppelin demo Poppy gives, it only works the first time so put headphones on,  pay close attention and be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

The rest deals some with other audio myths as it relates to how hifi is marketed and sold to the home user, from the designers recording engineers seat.

Anyway, I am also sort of sad to see that some of these were designed by friends Mark and Jeff and I all worked at the same speaker company once and all went through the heartbreak of being “almost there” save for the fearless leader.  

After the shuttle disaster intersonics and the space flight hardware biz gradually shriveled up, the subwoofer biz was spun off to an old acquaintance. 

It was while I was designing  there that the Unity horn was born (and met Mark and Jeff), a version was licensed to my friends at Yorkville, another to Lambda as a DIY version. .  

Don Keele who configured the CBT is a man I have admired and known most of my life, figured out the basics for horn pattern control and It was a pleasure some time back to present on the Synergy horn (a sufficiently improved unity horn)and him on the CBT at the same AES meeting.

I would urge all of you to keep doing these blind events but also, having the luxury of not being in the home area except for the few who seek us out, I would urge you to also compare some of the REALY expensive stuff to what Mark Jeff and our company makes, at least in commercial audio, there are  naked emperors  that can  be exposed.

A synergy horn Kit?   Gosh I would like to do that, Bill Waslo has gone far into making one but I have not been able to get that idea to fly at work.  Understand, I design my partner Mike runs.

My  grandpa played a French horn, since I heard a French horn come out of one of his boxes (he had a heathkit mono hifi ) is was amazed, how did it do that?  Hifi and especially loudspeakers / acoustics and electronics have been an interest my whole life and being a DIY’r like that stuff so I am inclined.  Some background if interested;

http://audioxpress.com/interviews/qa-tom-danley/

A hifi SM-60?

That is something that has been slowly percolating away but the large scale sound area has been booming and absorbs the focus.

Anyway, the Synergy horn invention (Patented) is a way to combine the outputs of multiple drivers into a single horn passage at an acoustic dimension small enough so that they combine coherently,  like how close coupled subwoofers do, into a single source.  The radiation polar pattern shows too there are no lobes or nulls even at crossover, just one primary lobe like there was only one driver, that is more or less constant directivity down fairly low.  

One reason they work so well in large spaces is they radiate much less energy outside the desired pattern and the directivity angle stays pretty constant over a wide frequency range.   If you look at the CLF data file for an SM-60 and look at the polar plots, you see even at 315Hz, the level is still about -6 dB 90 degrees off axis.   In large scale sound, the less sound energy you radiate outside of the intended pattern, the better.     There is something you could try with the sm-60’s too that’s pretty weird, you can place them ON the side walls (on the angled side) and they produce no near wall reflections (same for floor and ceiling). In a narrow room, it allows a much larger / wider sound field and by not producing any near wall reflections, it’s like they weren’t there. It’s the same property that allows two to array; it’s as if they each radiate from a point very close to the rear of the cabinet.

The cool part is, the larger a sound system gets, the more interference it produces and the worse it sounds, the more it sounds different everywhere.  With the synergy horn principals, it is possible to make a horn that is 10 feet tall with over 100 drivers that projects musically several thousand feet and if you walk up, walk into the horn mouth and move around, it’s just like with the SM-60’s, even with your head inside the horn mouth, no trace of more than one source of sound or more than one driver floating in front of you.  

We used loudspeaker generation loss recordings in the beginning to help figure out where we were going and where our competition was.

The idea being that while listing to music is subjective, listing to how music is degraded on each generation is much easier, the more faithful, the more generations it can suffer.   I would like to think that early effort to make a more faithful loudspeaker shows up in these videos..    Here is the kind of large “hifi” that has been keeping us busy. The first one is Spartan stadium in Michigan, the speakers are in the scoreboard at the far end.   

This would be about 700 feet from the loudspeakers. Without people (cloth covered water bags) these places are still pretty live, can’t help that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnsw5mb4v5vdlwq/20120726122124.mts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqeg3cf0daqv9ti/20120726114748.mts

This one was a real monster, LSU Tiger stadium,  this system will do 105dBa slow weighted with good music (where the limiters are set) and measured -3dB at 28Hz, both measured at 800 feet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyosfc3adc6j1du/20130723135350.mts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va4mihvefqyxk24/20130723140018.mts

Best,

Tom Danley

Danley Sound Labs

The most recent stuff;

https://www.facebook.com/DanleySoundLabs?ref=ts

post #254 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My personal opinion having heard them in my room - I think the 212's have a slight edge in upper end smoothness, but the Yorks have a stronger, more pronouned midbass. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy owning the 212s, but if one looks hard the pricing on used U215's is borderline insanity. smile.gif
post #255 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Were all speakers run as small?

Everything was crossed at 80hz.
post #256 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Bringing home the sweet Legacy sound.... again

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #257 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

My personal opinion having heard them in my room - I think the 212's have a slight edge in upper end smoothness, but the Yorks have a stronger, more pronouned midbass. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy owning the 212s, but if one looks hard the pricing on used U215's is borderline insanity. smile.gif

Very true, Yorkville U215's can be had for less then $1600 per speaker brand new! smile.gif
post #258 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDanley View Post

Hi Guys
A friend told me about the GTG thread and figured I would comment.  I am pleased you guys did a blind test and by blind, where you don’t know what you’re hearing.   What you “hear” normally consists of what you know, want and see as well. 
While its hieratical hifi talk to suggest that our senses are intertwined nearly inextricably, there are some good examples of this being so;

...Snip...

Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs
The most recent stuff;

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really enjoy reading the technical aspects of speakers and who better to hear it from than the designers themselves.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #259 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

The Peavey was used due to availablity, ease of use, relatively low noise floor, and to RULE OUT ANY COMPLAINTS OF UNDERPOWERING ANY SPEAKERS IN THE LINEUP. smile.gif

mad.gif

tongue.gif
post #260 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

mad.gif

tongue.gif

Haha, you picked right up on that, DD. biggrin.gif I thought you would be pleased with us feeding 2000wpc to each speaker at the event. tongue.gif
post #261 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Wow Tom, Thanks for the writeup! I will continue to support the Danley line for a long time and am just glad i was able to have my 60f's be a part of such a wonderful event. The interesting thing in the "Blind" part of the meet was that half the guests had never even seen a Synergy horn design before in person, or in even more extreme cases, even knew what a synergy horn looked like!!! You want to talk about blind!?!? Hehe. That is as blind as you can get smile.gif
Bunga99 likes this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #262 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haha, you picked right up on that, DD. biggrin.gif I thought you would be pleased with us feeding 2000wpc to each speaker at the event. tongue.gif

Glad to hear it. Need to feed the beasts to their maximum potential.smile.gif
post #263 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDanley View Post

Hi Guys

A synergy horn Kit?   Gosh I would like to do that, Bill Waslo has gone far into making one but I have not been able to get that idea to fly at work.  Understand, I design my partner Mike runs.
My  grandpa played a French horn, since I heard a French horn come out of one of his boxes (he had a heathkit mono hifi ) is was amazed, how did it do that?  Hifi and especially loudspeakers / acoustics and electronics have been an interest my whole life and being a DIY’r like that stuff so I am inclined.  Some background if interested;

http://audioxpress.com/interviews/qa-tom-danley/

A hifi SM-60?

That is something that has been slowly percolating away but the large scale sound area has been booming and absorbs the focus.

Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs
The most recent stuff;

Tom...thank you for your time in sharing your info and aspirations/inspirations.
It is a privilege when a designer/engineer is able to constructively share on this forum.

Having said that...Synergy horn kit SM-60 intended for the HT!!! Yes, please!!!!

Tom...what might change with a HT version of the SM60?
Saw some of your posts in pro sound forums...funny how you recommend to call the Company and tell them you know "somebody".

I was going to build a pair of Sentinels...but I would be happy to be the guinea pig for that horn kit.
post #264 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

Not back to back, a day apart....I favored the Yorks in all areas
post #265 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They can come across as harsh with anemic bass with a low powered amp. However they have the ability to sound very impressive when properly powered to their full potential. I wish the other guys got to hear them properly powered at the gtg. I would have love to hear their thoughts.

I appreciate honest opinions. But I could not learn anything from the previous gtg where heavyweight pro speakers were being powered by a tonka toy amp.
post #266 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Running any large set of pro speakers with a low powered amp is no way to verify their potential.
post #267 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not back to back, a day apart....I favored the Yorks in all areas

How do the Yorks compare to the Danleys? I want to know what is the next step in the upgrade path from the Yorks. Is there a big gap in high frequency performance between the two?
post #268 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 326
yea at the last G2G i liked the noesis more, simply because i found the yorks a little too harsh

at this one i liked the Danleys, but for me just because i liked something the most does not mean i didnt like the others. Honestly the difference is small. if the Danleys were a 9.5/10 (nothing perfect) everything else was a 9/10.

and yes used yorks can be found for stupid cheap prices pretty often. if you can get past their size/looks it should be something to consider
post #269 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

Running any large set of pro speakers with a low powered amp is no way to verify their potential.

What do you consider low power?
post #270 of 989 Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

yea at the last G2G i liked the noesis more, simply because i found the yorks a little too harsh

at this one i liked the Danleys, but for me just because i liked something the most does not mean i didnt like the others. Honestly the difference is small. if the Danleys were a 9.5/10 (nothing perfect) everything else was a 9/10.

and yes used yorks can be found for stupid cheap prices pretty often. if you can get past their size/looks it should be something to consider

I felt the same. The ratings I gave in my review were purely vs each other only. Not to be considered an absolute scale. My ears had gotten tired by the end as well. Just today I feel like they have recovered.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page