January 18th Loudspeaker GTG results thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,247
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 249
**As many attendees are traveling long distances, please be patient with comments/pictures/thoughts. I'm as anxious as you all to read them. smile.gif ** I also reserve the right to add details as I remember to add them in. smile.gif

Really the fun for a few members began on Friday night as a few met at Popalock's house for a fun filled ULF evening. I'll let him share the details of that night.

Original planning thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1497847/northeast-loudspeaker-gtg-ht-heavyweights-january-18th/0_100

Blind Attendees and links to listening impressions:

Beastaudio, Brandon
JimWIlson, Jim
ironhead1230, Mike
Reefdvr, Dave
rx-8, Bill
mhrischuk - Mike
rush2049 - Ben
carp - Sheldon
Archaea - Jonathan
FOH - Kevin
Gooddoc - Mark

Wow, what an incredible day. EPIC, EPIC, and more EPIC. For sure my favorite event so far. Thanks to ALL attendees and vendors/designers for coming out to make the event happen. Thanks to all who helped plan, organize clips, haul your heavy a$$ speakers to the event, traveling from all over, provide news coverage, bring food, help with planning food, moving speakers, and general coordination. I feel blessed to have everything go smoothly throughout the day. Everyone (especially myself) seemed to be all smiles, but I will let each individual share their own experiences of course. A link to this thread is sure to stay in my signature for some time coming. smile.gif

*Disclaimer - To avoid bias, for now I'll reserve any detailed opinions since I was not part of the official blind testing*

What happened yesterday? Recap -


Participants: 15 listeners, 11 of which were blind. Vendor/designer support from Mark Seaton, Matt Grant, and Rick Craig (and his son). Newscoverage early in the day from Imagic - Mark.

-Start time for setup - 7:30AM. After a brief coffee and donut session, we begin breaking down my existing setup and screen in preparation for the days activities.

-Setting up the Equipment: Marantz 8801 pre-pro for all equipment - balanced XLRs to all. Peavey IPR7500 used on all passive setups. Selah's used their own proprietary active eq/crossover setup and a Marantz amp. Ben (rush) provided a HTPC and a DAC for all tracks. We used my DIY Seymour XD based 130" AT screen to hide the gear being played - including speakers and amps. My 8 X 18" sealed setup with 10x10 minidsp coupled with a pair of DTS-10s and 2 X FP14000 clone amps were used to cover the LFE. We really weren't lacking in those areas. smile.gif

-First setup - The SEOSR build. Due to the setup required and the sheer mass of objects to move, this was NOT part of the official testing of the day. 4XTD15M drivers coupled with a SEOS24 waveguide and monster BMS 2 day compression drivers. See link below for the full build log. Fully active setup with 5 X crown amps with DSP! When we first stacked these things in the room, I had to LOL for a few minutes. We took more pictures during this setup than any other section of the day. Simply jaw dropping. And a perfect fit behind my screen area I have to say. smile.gif It took us a solid 3.5 hours to get these setup but it was worth it to be part of the initial demonstration of this animals. Big props to Jake and Matt for pulling off the last minute tweaking and assembly to share with the group. We used the standard volume here for the majority but cranked up several a bit more at the end. We got through the whole 1 hour 20 minute approximate track list and then some quick demos on the blu ray demo disc - Book of eli shootout scene seemed to be a crowd favorite. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457166/s-e-o-s-r-mega-build

-Lunch around 1 or 1:30 or so - Philly hoagies, chicken fingers, and various sides. YUM!

-After a quick lunch - Blind testing setup and execution has begun! We began using the standardized track list (Below). This was a LOT of work and time consuming but my GOD was it worth it!! Highly recommended for all future GTGs to come. All gear was moved by myself, Sibuna, popalock, Rick Craig, and Chopshop. Everyone else had not a clue (as you will see from the comments) what was being done or set up. We moved gear while sending everyone upstairs. All unused gear was hidden in another covered room and the gear playing was behind my Seymour XD DIY screen. We played many tricks on the members (Cruel) throughout the night to keep them from guessing. This included hiding the lights on the peavey amp, playing with the amp gain to keep from guessing sensitivity, etc. Each attendee was given a stack of note cards - one for each speaker with room to write comments for each track being played for speakers A/B/C/D.

We used a fairly loud level for calibration - 95DB for the mains + about 6-8db or so hot on the subs (will have to confirm with the others as they chime in) from about 18-20' back from the speakers behind the second row. I believe we were seeing peaks in the low 100s fairly often back at the bar. smile.gif The level matching was done with the screen back up for all attendees to see and confirm for all. The first row was quite a bit louder so many attendees were able to move around to avoid fatigue if they felt necessary. We took omnimic sweeps for each. When the sweeps are posted, keep in mind these are NOT max level/spl sweeps, they will simply indicate their native response in my room.
Code:
Track  Start Time    End Time                Genre           Artist                                  Song
1       0:00:00         2:25:00         Classical       Sherlock Holmes OST                     Discombobulate
2       2:27:00         5:23:00         Classical       John Williams 40 Years of Film Music    Close Encounters of the Third Kind. (intro)
3       5:25:00         8:32:00         Classical       Robin Hood Prince of Thieves            Main Theme
4       8:33:00         10:51:00        Classical       The Island                              My Name is Lincoln
5       10:53:00        13:38:00        Soul            Rebecca Pidgeon                         Spanish Harlem
6       13:40:00        16:42:00        Country         Eagles Gone Country                     Hotel California
7       16:44:00        18:22:00        Folk            John Denver                             Leaving on a Jet Plane
8       18:24:00        20:21:00        Folk            Ramblin Jack Elliot                     Soul Of A Man
9       20:24:00        21:39:00        Folk Indie      Dispatch                                Hey Hey
10      21:40:00        24:15:00        Folk Indie      Edwarde Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes  Home
11      24:16:00        26:55:00        Pop             Madonna                                 The Power of Good-Bye
12      26:57:00        29:40:00        Rock            Fleetwood Mac                           Go Insane (Live 1997)
13      29:42:00        31:28:00        Rock            Fleetwood Mac                           Tusk (Live 1997)
14      31:29:00        32:44:00        Rock            The Cars                                Since You're Gone
15      32:46:00        35:39:00        Rock            Nils Lofgren                            Keith dont go
16      35:40:00        37:33:00        Rock Alt        Collective Soul                         December
17      37:34:00        38:47:00        Rock Alt        Incubus                                 Echo
18      38:49:00        40:04:00        Rock Alt        Puscifer                                Dear Brother
19      40:06:00        43:04:00        Electronic      Blake Reary                             Nowhere Near
20      43:06:00        44:39:00        Electronic      Blake Reary                             Dance With Me (Blake Rearys Sky High Mix)
21      44:41:00        46:01:00        Classical       Daft Punk                               Tron Legacy Overture
22      46:03:00        47:03:00        Electronic      Lindsey Stirling                        Moon Trance
23      47:05:00        49:48:00        Symphonic Metal Within Temptation                       Somewhere
24      49:50:00        51:22:00        Rock Alt        Tool                                    Jambi
25      51:25:00        53:43:00        Rock Alt        Tool                                    Undertow
26      53:44:00        55:48:00        Rock Electronic Pendulum                                The Tempest
27      55:50:00        58:17:00        Classical       Peer Gynt                               Suite from Hall of the Mountain King
28      58:19:00        60:17:00        Rock Industrial Trent Reznor                            Carbon Prevails
29      60:19:00        63:22:00        Rock Latin      Gustavo Santaolalla                     The Last of Us
30      63:24:00        65:41:00        Rock Prog       Dire Straits                            What It Is
31      65:43:00        69:15:00        Rock Prog       Pink Floyd                              Time
32      69:18:00        71:16:00        Rock Prog       Styx                                    Renegade
33      71:18:00        72:20:00        Rock Soul       Boz Scaggs                              Thanks to You
34      72:22:00        74:20:00        Metal Cello     Apocalyptica                            One
35      74:22:00        75:16:00        Metal Doom      Woods of Ypres                          Finality
36      75:18:00        76:12:00        Metal Heavy     Disturbed                               Inside the Fire
37      76:14:00        77:22:00        Metal Prog      Dream Theater                           Another Day
38      77:24:00        80:46:00        Metal Prog      Dream Theater                           The Count of Tuscany
39      80:48:00        82:14:00        Metalcore       Atreyu                                  An Interlude
40      82:16:00        88:12:00        Trance Pop      Oblivion OST                            Oblivion (feat. Susanne Sundfør)

Speaker A played first - These were the Seaton Catylsts. Don't remember the exact time but I believe this was around 3:30 or so.
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/the-catalyst-product-details-overview-3044980

Speaker B played second - The Selah Game Changer line arrays. By this point we had the blind testing switchout down to about 20-25 minutes per pair which was drastically better than the morning. We started to get in the swing of things now!
http://www.selahaudio.com/id73.html

Dinner around 7:00 or so - pizza and wings from a local favorite of mine. It seemed to go fast!! smile.gif At this point Austin and I decided to mess with members of the group and took the JTR Single 8s from upstairs and hid them in the secret room with hidden gear. From this point on many blind participants (especially owners with gear in the event) became very nervous. smile.gif

Speaker C next up - The Danley SM60F's.
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/molded-synergy-horns/sm60f/

Finished with speaker D - JTR Noesis 212 ending around 11PM.
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-212ht/

We HAD planned on including the Single 8s in there for fun but at this point it was a VERY long day and I think most of us were tired of listening.

Teardown and BS session lasted until around 12:30.

Done yet? NAH!! Around 12:30 or so a select few of us (about 10 or so) went upstairs to play around for a "encore" presentation. My DIYsoundgroup Sentinels were played at high volumes (powered only by my Onkyo 818 AVR) for several tracks full range with no subs. We listened to some of the classics using spotify premium - Spanish Harlem, Metallica's Orion (For carp, beast, and myself), lots of acoustical, Chinese drums, etc. The group seemed to enjoy this setup and I received lots of positive feedback. Kudos to Matt and Erich from DIYsoundgroup!

Throughout the day/night there were various side events which can be detailed more from the other members - but included active switching of different coax setups, free air testing of an SI 24" subwoofer, arm wresting, consumption of mass amounts of beer, drunken discussions of converting my bathroom to an IB subwoofer setup, and heckling of blind testing members by the setup crew. Overall I'm still giddy thinking about the day and can't wait for the next one and to see all the pictures, comments and video to be posted soon. smile.gif

Sunday morning - A few other members went to Craigjohn's theater for a demo - hopefully they will share the details here as well. Chopshop and MTG90 stopped over this morning for one last crank session for a few movie scenes with my Yorkvilles (215's), SEOS surrounds, and subs back in the mix. biggrin.gif I enjoyed that quick session this morning and it's equally rewarding how quickly I got my setup back up and running.

Hope you all enjoy reading the results!
Gorilla83 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,247
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 249
A few more thoughts from the host -

I'll refrain from giving any heavy opinions on each setup since I'm potentially biased for each and knew exactly what was playing. It was indeed cool to get to hear each setup in my room and this time around I got to do much more listening than I had in past events which was nice.

At first I thought the tracklist may have been a bit long for each but later came to the realization that it was nice that one could go listen/focus for 20 minutes, go socialize for a bit in the back to take a break, then come back and listen for another 15 minutes. I know it's hard to please all with track/source selection, sub/bass levels, seating arrangements, amp choices, etc. but we tried our best to accomdate any issues as they were brought up.

Keep in mind events like these should not the exclusive source for your purchasing decision, but rather merely a starting point along your journey. There are so many variables but the biggest of all is each listner's preferences. Throughout the day and night I went to many listeners to ask for their thoughts and man did they vary tremendously! It becomes even more obvious when blind listening was done. Some the comments were quite humerous and I really enjoyed chatting before, after, and during the event with each guest. Days like these are lots of fun and well worth the effort to pull it together. I hope the attendees and readers have as much fun as I did.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #3 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 3,224
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Reserved

 

popalock is offline  
post #4 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Steveo1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I would give up beer for a year to be able to attend this day of pure awesomeness...
Steveo1234 is online now  
post #5 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,580
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Frequency Response Comparisons:

Omnimic was used to capture frequency responses. The setup crew did their thing while the rest of us were upstairs so we wouldn't know what was being demoed. Then Sibuna, beastaudio, and I used the omnimic to verify levels were matched reasonably via both AVR test tones and frequency response plots, as an independent verification to the dedicated setup crew's good work. The frequency responses were captured at 1/6 smoothing and 10 captures were averaged for both left and right of each speaker - to ensure accuracy. The left and right mains levels were matched to 75dB on Marantz 8801, and the DTS-10 subs on one channel were matched to 77dB and the eight Dayton 18" drivers were matched to 77dB on a second subwoofer channel. The cumulative subwoofer output was verified to be 80dB when the summed subwoofer out was played. These SPL levels were all matched before every FR capture and listening session.

Omnimic measurements follow of all the entries:


ChopShop1's SEOSRs -



Speaker A - Revealed to be the Seaton Catalyst 12c



Speaker B - Revealed to be the Selah Line Array



Speaker C - Revealed to be the Danley SM60F



Speaker D - Revealed to be the Noesis 212HT



All left speakers charted together



All right speakers charted together



All speakers charted together



All speakers charted together with 10dB interval on vertical axis



All speakers charted together with 2dB interval on vertical axis


I will caution that the seating position of the auditions probably played a big role in each person's thoughts in regards to capability and sound. I will also caution that these FR charts don't represent max SPL, nor best scenario capability. All four of the blind meet participant speakers were just dropped in the same place with no EQ assistance specific to Gorilla83's room given. Toe-ins were made similar, but best place scenarios were probably not the rule of the day. Another note: Gorilla83's AT screen attenuates (probably the highs/treble) by about 1.5dB. This was determined when SPL levels were taken with the screen up vs. down. We didn't go back and check what frequencies the screen attenuates, but it's reasonable to suspect it the treble. Gorilla83 could probably tell us more from his in room measurements, but the attenuation would have affected all speakers the same.

It might be some time before I get to post my actual subjective reviews. I've got a lot to cover with four different awesome home theater setups visited this trip. Unfortunately, I've got multiple things going on today including trying to buy a house that we were interested in before I left for PA, and I'm still recovering emotionally from popalock's beatdown.


FRD files are attached to import into REW or Omnimic if you want to draw your own analysis.
Gorilla83G2GFRDfiles.zip 42k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gorilla83G2GFRDfiles.zip (42.4 KB, 6 views)
Bunga99 and Dbuudo07 like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is online now  
post #6 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Time to recover :beer:
chalugadp is online now  
post #7 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Well another ear and liver destroying event has come and gone, and like all the ones that have proceeded it this one was a blast! Good people + awesome equipment + lots of prework = one helluva good time. Thanks to many for their efforts, but I do want to toss out a few special acknowledgements...

Andrew and Jode (hope I spelled that right, but knowing me I didn't - and no comments from you rx-8! biggrin.gif). As usual you were a gracious host, and your wife was a sweetheart for vacating the house -- with a baby who was feeling under the weather no less! -- and leaving to allow a marauding hoard AV fanatics to descend upon it. Your chocolate chip cookies were insanely good. I want more.

Ben and Adam, the music men. Between all the work ripping the songs, to the expert DJ work, and everything in between, you guys rock. Literally. All the hard work lead to an effortless event. As always, thanks fellas. Although I do have my suspicions that one of you sabotaged my Disturbed track and surreptitiously screwed up the mix even worse than it already was. tongue.gif It got so bad that even I didn't want to listen any longer. Guess I win the award for least favorite track on the play list?

Of course, without a bunch of people bringing their own personal gear this event simply doesn't happen. These folks unhooked stuff from their own HT, boxed it up, allowed their very expensive equipment to be handled and setup by others, and then reversed the whole procedure when they got home. Very generous and trusting people!

Dave, your Noesis sounded awesome (and thankfully what I stepped in last night while helping you haul those back to your truck turned out to be mud after all eek.gif). Brandon, your Danley's were my favorite. You don't bring those and I may never have had an opportunity to hear anything this man designed. Dave is pissed, because I think now he wants to sell his JTR's, but at least I'm glad you brought them. Jake, you are a sick man;biggrin.gif that stack of speakers, power by enough amps to run a night club, were amazing though. I hope your HT is big, REALLY big. Mike, the man who always brings something with him. It's always new, because he changes speakers more than I change my socks. So will it be Focus again next time? Rick, for accepting my invitation and driving all the way up from North Carolina -- with his son in toe -- and auditioning his Game Changer. Those were the smallest speakers, by far, but boy did they sound nice. Gorgeous wood work too. I enjoyed our conversations as well.

BTW, did anyone tell Matt that he isn't invited to the next event? smiley-taunt002.gif I have clothes older than this guy, yet it turns out he was the only person to guess all 4 speakers correctly? That's just wrong. If he does get another invite he has to drink excessively, just like the rest of us. Assuming he's old enough to drink, of course... tongue.gif

I want to go through my notes before posting impressions, so this is all I got for now.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #8 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 173
If anyone wants the cut track listing we used it is here

RIGHT CLICK - SAVE AS
http://rootminus1.com/admin/AVS/rand/AVS%202014%2001%2018%20G2G%20Mix.mp3


So I was in the group that was moving stuff in and out during the blind testing, I wrote some stuff down anyway because even with knowledge of what speakers we were playing I wanted to get some stuff down.

Big thanks to Andrew again for hosting, its always a great time, it was also great seeing people again and meeting new people who made the trip out.

Remember blind testing done simply for fun. How all of these sounded is really specific to Andrews room. There was not a bad speaker here today. I think everyone there would have been happy going home to any of the setups we heard. The differences once you get to this level are really small. And a lot of it comes down to the listeners personal preference.

I’ll prob edit this later when I’m actually looking at my notes but its slow at work and I need something to do

I moved around quite a lot during the listening sessions and tried to get in the same place on every speaker for the tracks I knew really really well

The SEOSR:
Pictures do not do these things justice, they are HUGE and took a team to move around. 4 TD15ms and that SEOS 24 are a sight to behold, all actively powered. This was their maiden voyage. Jake (Chopshop) literally finished building them on Friday and the xover work was done based on previous measurements before they were even built. That being said they are really damn impressive. For the music selections the sound coming out of that horn was great on many tracks, great dynamics and clarity. On some tracks there was some “muddiness” and a few got really bright. ALL of that is fixable with final tweaking of the DSP settings. I want to say we heard this speaker at like 70% of its potential. Jake you should not be unhappy with them. Once your theater is built and these are in place and optimized you will truly have something special on your hands. When we played Book of Eli my jaw dropped. That was simply insane.

Speaker A, Cat 12s:
TBH these were prob the only speaker I think I could have gotten correct if I was listening blind. I make that comment based on the bass output above the coossover. They just seemed to have more of it (I know the measurements don’t show this) but it was how I felt while listening. This is the 3rd time I’ve heard cats 12s and it just seemed similar to those times as well. Great dynamics and detail, I got chills on many songs. Really felt these nailed some of the earlier stuff (Robin hood, Tron, blake) sounded equally as great on Tool and DT. As always the speakers looked great. Mark and his crew do a great job putting them together. These were actually sold on the day of the event, the buyer come over after they were demoed and stuck around for all the other speakers before heading home. He spent a good amnt of time talking to Mark and I’m sure he will enjoy them.

Speaker B: CBT Line Arrays:
Now these were interesting. Small speakers but a big sound. Great looking speakers with the veneer work and their curved shape. Even knowing what these were I was floored by the sound coming out of them. The only other line arrays I have heard were the LS6 as the last G2G, these had a totally different feel to them. With the LS6 I felt the sound stage was really 3D, it just seemed to envelop you from everywhere. I didn’t get that with these, but what I did get was an evenness in presentation from front to back of the room. There didn’t seem to be a bad spot to hear these. The Vocals on the Spanish Harlem track were IMO the best of the night. They were just smooth on everything, the only speaker where I heard every recording issue on the Tron track. Reminded me of Bens hyper accurate KRKs. Great vocal separation and presentation on “Somewhere” and “Hey Hey”. I did get the feeling we were running them pretty close to as loud as they would like to be played. SPL junkies be warned. Not sure I would choose these for a HT application based on that and what I know we had to do to lvl match them, but for a 2/2.1 channel setup these are currently the front runner of what I have heard. (Assuming I ever rob a bank) Would LOVE to hear one of the bigger arrays.

Speaker C: Danley SM60F:
This was my favorite speaker of the day. Dear god did I like them. Chills on many songs, even ones I didn’t really care to listen to ( F you madonna) the bass plucks on Hotel California just has a weight and meat to them that I loved. Vocals on “hey hey” and “Somewhere” just made me tingle. “Count of Tuscany” sounded sublime, both Carp and I hated it when the song ended. These were noticeably brighter vs A and B and I liked that (I have some high end hearing loss which could be why I prefer this and other don’t). Jack Elliott and Boz Scaggs also amazing. On the few tracks that were live recordings I felt these has the most “live” feeling on those tracks. Really made you feel as if you were there
I was also impressed with their size. Having never heard them and having only seen random pictures of them and some DIY synergy horns I expected them to be much larger. Damn that’s a lot of sound out of a very small package. If I had heard these blind I would have guessed they were the JTRs they sounded VERY VERY similar to how I remembered the JTRs sounding last time. Which might make sense as both speakers were designed by people with pro audio, live venue backgrounds .

Speaker D: JTR Noesis 212
I felt the JTRs sounded very similar to the Danleys, others did as well which is why the blind guesses were so all over the place. Amazing clarity and dynamics as always, but to me slightly less bright or crisp on the high end which I happen to like. Great stage and presentation, felt these held the high note on “blake” the best.


Big thanks to everyone that came out. Was great to have Mark and Rick there to answer people questions.

The 24” SI woofer is truly insane, hopefully someone posts the vids of it free air pumping as it was damn impressive. Was also very entertaining watching Mark S holding random pieces of wood next to Andrews bathroom thinking about how we would mount it in the doorway.


Bunga99 likes this.
Sibuna is online now  
post #9 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post


Dave, your Noesis sounded awesome (and thankfully what I stepped in last night while helping you haul those back to your truck turned out to be mud after all eek.gif). Brandon, your Danley's were my favorite. You don't bring those and I may never have had an opportunity to hear anything this man designed. Dave is pissed, because I think now he wants to sell his JTR's, but at least I'm glad you brought them. Jake, you are a sick man;biggrin.gif that stack of speakers, power by enough amps to run a night club, were amazing though. I hope your HT is big, REALLY big. Mike, the man who always brings something with him. It's always new, because he changes speakers more than I change my socks. So will it be Focus again next time? Rick, for accepting my invitation and driving all the way up from North Carolina -- with his son in toe -- and auditioning his Game Changer. Those were the smallest speakers, by far, but boy did they sound nice. Gorgeous wood work too. I enjoyed our conversations as well.

.
Jim when ever I step on a dog mine or someone else does I kind of snicker because I love that clip on forest gump.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edmqTODMZC4

Jim as usual, good spending time with you, I enjoy the laughs. I certainly appriciate the help getting them tanks in the truck. I should have had you help me with the single 8's as I dropped the box about 3 feet of the garage steps redface.gif, they landed flat, but it was a hard hit. It did suck dragging them things in the house at 230 in the morning, but it is all for a good cause. Yes I am bummed that C was not the Noesis. However we do know they sound good in Andrews room, but just to be safe that they sound just as good in my room, I already sent a request to Tom Danley for a price list for a select few of his speakers. biggrin.gif
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #10 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I heard Brandon's Danley's at popalocks on Friday. I wish I hadn't. The coherence reminded my of my old magnepans but the dynamics and ability to run full tilt are in a different league than magnepan.
mhrischuk likes this.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

NWCgrad is offline  
post #11 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
kma100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hoboken
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

I heard Brandon's Danley's at popalocks on Friday. I wish I hadn't. The coherence reminded my of my old magnepans but the dynamics and ability to run full tilt are in a different league than magnepan.

Which Danley model was this?
kma100 is online now  
post #12 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post

Which Danley model was this?
SM60F
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #13 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Jim when ever I step on a dog mine or someone else does I kind of snicker because I love that clip on forest gump.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edmqTODMZC4

Jim as usual, good spending time with you, I enjoy the laughs. I certainly appriciate the help getting them tanks in the truck. I should have had you help me with the single 8's as I dropped the box about 3 feet of the garage steps redface.gif, they landed flat, but it was a hard hit. It did suck dragging them things in the house at 230 in the morning, but it is all for a good cause. Yes I am bummed that C was not the Noesis. However we do know they sound good in Andrews room, but just to be safe that they sound just as good in my room, I already sent a request to Tom Danley for a price list for a select few of his speakers. biggrin.gif

Keep me in mind in case you decide to sell any of the JTR stuff !!

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
raynist is offline  
post #14 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 143
This is not a comprehensive three page review or anything like that, but I just wanted to get some thoughts posted.

First, many thanks to Andrew for hosting and the whole list of guys that made this thing possible. The amount of work that went into this event was tremendous, and it all went off without a snag! A lot of faces were the same, but it was great to meet some new faces of members that I exchange with on these forums regularly. And what a great group of guys! Everyone is just so very cool and laid back that it was an epic day!

First some comments on the blind testing. This was my first blind test of any kind, and I must say it's unnerving. You really start to question just about everything you're hearing, and then there was the un-blinded guys that were messing with your head. They were having fun with that. Andrew was having a lot of fun with that and made it a point to sit down next to me several times and, with a big sh*t eating grin, and start asking me what speaker I thought it was - and why. LOL. Then there was the fact that of the four speakers that were part of the blind testing, the only one I have ever heard were my own Noesis 212's. So it was a true guessing game for me. The only way to make this a classic blind listening comparo would have been to listen to each speaker unblinded, then take all of them out of the room and start the testing. And Andrew, that is my only suggestion for the next GTG. Lets put all the speakers up front unblinded, listen to each for 5 or 10 mins, then start the blind testing. Only because never having heard three of the four speakers in the group, picking them out blind is pretty much an impossible task. I was just going by reviews of the speakers I've read to guide me.

Although the SEOS-R was not part of the blind testing due to their massiveness, I'm very glad I heard them. Personally, I thought they were awesome. They still need a little work IMO for music, but the Book of Eli shoot-out scene had me grinning ear-to-ear. Totally effortless. (And maybe Andrews subs had a bit to do with the experience biggrin.gif). Bottom line is that these were a favorite of mine during the GTG and deserved to be played with all the other great speakers at the event.

All of the blinded speakers were excellent. I think the results of the guesses bear that out. There is just so much good to say about all of them, and trying to dig deep for things to differentiate them was the hardest part of the blind testing for me. Don't expect any kind of Stereophile type review here as I don't have that audio vocabulary.

As to my score on guessing the speakers? I was 1 of 4. And my only correct guess was NOT the speaker I'm most familiar with! I figured going in that since my speaker was the only one I have listened to extensively, in fact the only one I've EVER listened to, that I would know it the instant I heard it. It turns out that the speaker I thought was the JTR 212's, in fact was convinced was the 212, turned out to be the Danley's! The speaker I guessed correctly was the line array. Andrew was sitting next to me when the line arrays started playing and I turned to him and told him I thought they were the line arrays. Looking back, I think he was kind of surprised and I'll get to why I guessed them below.

I'll talk about the comments I wrote about each speaker.

Speaker A
My first note on these were that they had a brighter top end than the SEOS-R, which we had just listened to un-blinded. I also noted that when I moved from the center seat over to a seat on the far right, the stereo image fell to the speaker that I was closest. to. They had excellent detail and separation and the vocals were forward in the soundstage. Vocals were excellent and had distinct separation. Kick drums had a fast attack and decay. Very nice! I put the Seaton Cats as my primary guess at the time on the top of my score sheet, but I then changed my mind at the end because i thought that maybe speaker #4 was the Cats. So had I just stuck with my initial impression, I would have been 2 for 4.

Speaker B
After just a couple of songs, I felt these speakers sounded strained compared to the SEOS-R and speaker A. It was then I suspected they might be the line arrays. I turned to Andrew, who was sitting next to me, and told him so. I also thought they had the most consistent coverage around the room from a volume perspective. By the end of the demo tracks, I thought they sounded great with many of the tracks, but I never thought they had the "big" sound I like. I also noted that vocals were not quite as good as speaker A, but they had a larger sweet spot. Contrary to many, they were my least favorite of the group because of that. I think that a big 7 ft. array may have changed my opinion of these and possibly moved them to the top of my list, but I think they were just too small to make the big sound I need.

Speaker C
Ok, I was convinced these were my Noesis 212's! Dynamics were much better than speaker B IMO. They sounded huge. To my ears, they sounded just like my 212's in my room. i wrote a bunch of times that they were my favorite so far. I even dosed off for about ten minutes during the demo track. A sure sign they were the Noesis biggrin.gif. My wife will attest to that! Clearly I was wrong though, they were the Danley's. Whatever I've ever written about my Noesis 212's are everything I felt with these. High praise indeed. I just have to wonder how these would sound in my room....

Speaker D
I admit, I had some listening fatigue, or more accurately attention fatigue by this point in the event (and some brewski's in me as well smile.gif). I did more socializing than listening for this speaker. My comments were that they had great detail and dynamics and were brighter than speaker C. I convinced myself at the time that these must be the Seaton's, but wan't sure. I really liked them but found them to be a little more clinical than Speaker C. The differences between speaker A and speaker D were so subtle in my mind though that it was a pure guessing game at this point I chose these as the Seaton's in the end. but they were my beloved 212's. I admit I was a bit disappointed to realize that speaker C was not the Noesis 212's!

Well, that's about it. Awesome day, great company, and flawless execution by everyone that put this thing together. I can't wait for the next one!

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
Gooddoc is online now  
post #15 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

This is not a comprehensive three page review or anything like that, but I just wanted to get some thoughts posted.

First, many thanks to Andrew for hosting and the whole list of guys that made this thing possible. The amount of work that went into this event was tremendous, and it all went off without a snag! A lot of faces were the same, but it was great to meet some new faces of members that I exchange with on these forums regularly. And what a great group of guys! Everyone is just so very cool and laid back that it was an epic day!

First some comments on the blind testing. This was my first blind test of any kind, and I must say it's unnerving. You really start to question just about everything you're hearing, and then there was the un-blinded guys that were messing with your head. They were having fun with that. Andrew was having a lot of fun with that and made it a point to sit down next to me several times and, with a big sh*t eating grin, and start asking me what speaker I thought it was - and why. LOL. Then there was the fact that of the four speakers that were part of the blind testing, the only one I have ever heard were my own Noesis 212's. So it was a true guessing game for me. The only way to make this a classic blind listening comparo would have been to listen to each speaker unblinded, then take all of them out of the room and start the testing. And Andrew, that is my only suggestion for the next GTG. Lets put all the speakers up front unblinded, listen to each for 5 or 10 mins, then start the blind testing. Only because never having heard three of the four speakers in the group, picking them out blind is pretty much an impossible task. I was just going by reviews of the speakers I've read to guide me.

Although the SEOS-R was not part of the blind testing due to their massiveness, I'm very glad I heard them. Personally, I thought they were awesome. They still need a little work IMO for music, but the Book of Eli shoot-out scene had me grinning ear-to-ear. Totally effortless. (And maybe Andrews subs had a bit to do with the experience biggrin.gif). Bottom line is that these were a favorite of mine during the GTG and deserved to be played with all the other great speakers at the event.

All of the blinded speakers were excellent. I think the results of the guesses bear that out. There is just so much good to say about all of them, and trying to dig deep for things to differentiate them was the hardest part of the blind testing for me. Don't expect any kind of Stereophile type review here as I don't have that audio vocabulary.

As to my score on guessing the speakers? I was 1 of 4. And my only correct guess was NOT the speaker I'm most familiar with! I figured going in that since my speaker was the only one I have listened to extensively, in fact the only one I've EVER listened to, that I would know it the instant I heard it. It turns out that the speaker I thought was the JTR 212's, in fact was convinced was the 212, turned out to be the Danley's! The speaker I guessed correctly was the line array. Andrew was sitting next to me when the line arrays started playing and I turned to him and told him I thought they were the line arrays. Looking back, I think he was kind of surprised and I'll get to why I guessed them below.

I'll talk about the comments I wrote about each speaker.

Speaker A
My first note on these were that they had a brighter top end than the SEOS-R, which we had just listened to un-blinded. I also noted that when I moved from the center seat over to a seat on the far right, the stereo image fell to the speaker that I was closest. to. They had excellent detail and separation and the vocals were forward in the soundstage. Vocals were excellent and had distinct separation. Kick drums had a fast attack and decay. Very nice! I put the Seaton Cats as my primary guess at the time on the top of my score sheet, but I then changed my mind at the end because i thought that maybe speaker #4 was the Cats. So had I just stuck with my initial impression, I would have been 2 for 4.

Speaker B
After just a couple of songs, I felt these speakers sounded strained compared to the SEOS-R and speaker A. It was then I suspected they might be the line arrays. I turned to Andrew, who was sitting next to me, and told him so. I also thought they had the most consistent coverage around the room from a volume perspective. By the end of the demo tracks, I thought they sounded great with many of the tracks, but I never thought they had the "big" sound I like. I also noted that vocals were not quite as good as speaker A, but they had a larger sweet spot. Contrary to many, they were my least favorite of the group because of that. I think that a big 7 ft. array may have changed my opinion of these and possibly moved them to the top of my list, but I think they were just too small to make the big sound I need.

Speaker C
Ok, I was convinced these were my Noesis 212's! Dynamics were much better than speaker B IMO. They sounded huge. To my ears, they sounded just like my 212's in my room. i wrote a bunch of times that they were my favorite so far. I even dosed off for about ten minutes during the demo track. A sure sign they were the Noesis biggrin.gif. My wife will attest to that! Clearly I was wrong though, they were the Danley's. Whatever I've ever written about my Noesis 212's are everything I felt with these. High praise indeed. I just have to wonder how these would sound in my room....

Speaker D
I admit, I had some listening fatigue, or more accurately attention fatigue by this point in the event (and some brewski's in me as well smile.gif). I did more socializing than listening for this speaker. My comments were that they had great detail and dynamics and were brighter than speaker C. I convinced myself at the time that these must be the Seaton's, but wan't sure. I really liked them but found them to be a little more clinical than Speaker C. The differences between speaker A and speaker D were so subtle in my mind though that it was a pure guessing game at this point I chose these as the Seaton's in the end. but they were my beloved 212's. I admit I was a bit disappointed to realize that speaker C was not the Noesis 212's!

Well, that's about it. Awesome day, great company, and flawless execution by everyone that put this thing together. I can't wait for the next one!

Thanks for the post! How would you compare the Catalyst 12C to the Danley?
Kain is offline  
post #16 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 12:26 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 207
My GTG review contribution is here.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is online now  
post #17 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Keep me in mind in case you decide to sell any of the JTR stuff !!
PM sent/
Reseverd.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #18 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

Thanks for the post! How would you compare the Catalyst 12C to the Danley?

I thought the Catalyst was excellent. Very detailed and no "smearing". Things like vocal and instrument separation was excellent. Kick drums were tight and very impactful. I wouldn't say the Danley's lacked those qualities, it's just that they weren't quite as good at it. They didn't have as bright a top end as the Seatons, but I found them more involving for music.

Keep in mind though that, aside from the line arrays, I would literally take any one of the speakers home with me and be entirely satisfied. These differences I speak of are nearly insignificant IMO. Even with the line arrays, I'm convinced that given a taller array with more drivers they might have stole the show for me. I just think the volume was too loud for the size array.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
Gooddoc is online now  
post #19 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
mhrischuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garnet Valley, Pa.
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Had a blast and enjoyed the listening time and comradery. Unfortunately I knew a little too much early on as to the first speaker was being presented blindly so that gave me a leg up on the guessing. I may have started my list of guesses that I handed in, on the wrong speaker since the first were not included in the guessing.
So since I knew the Cats were there, my "guesses" started with the Cats. The others, I had no idea.

I personally am not as huge an HT sound person for the home as I thought I was going to be over the last few years... my direction has moved back to more "normal" listening levels at super high precision.
The Cats were sold before the event and as good as any of the others were, none would make my list of replacements.
I know my Cats and I have to tell you, they sounded a whole lot better in Andrew's theater. I like them alot... that's why I bought them in the first place.

And with that said........ dam what a bunch of ass kicking speakers they all were.... except maybe for those cute and sexy Selahs. While sitting up front I could have sworn I heard some physical distortion on some of the harder stuff. And just looking at them before and after.. a bunch of tiny drivers, that didn't surprise me. Not sure if they even belonged in the lineup.

The Danleys were exceptional. They were what I thought was everything you would want at those power levels. Loud, accurate but easy to listen to. I was amazed when I saw them in the back room afterwards. Hard to believe that kind of sound was coming out of that strange triangular box.

I will leave most of the detailed reviews to the fellows that really know how to review a speaker.

Andrew... thanks for the hospitality and the venue. Got a chance to talk to your wife high tailing it out. She is a saint for sure.

Everyone else that worked so hard... thank you all, you left a great memory for us all. It was a blast.
Good seeing everyone again. Lot's of laughs really made it fun.

New Legacy Focus SE's ordered last Thursday along with the Silverscreen HD center. Legacy updated the ribbon tweeters so these will be different than the ones I had last year. If you are interested, I will bring them along for another GTG.
Anyone wishing to demo them at my place let me know. I should have them by the end of the week.
Ryansboston likes this.

See My Setup Here

 

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

mhrischuk is online now  
post #20 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 173
i didn't take many pics this time but heres what i got
































Sibuna is online now  
post #21 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Danleys behind a false wall great , visible not a chance. They make jtr look gorgeous . :screwy:
chalugadp is online now  
post #22 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
mhrischuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garnet Valley, Pa.
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Danleys behind a false wall great , visible not a chance. They make jtr look gorgeous . :screwy:

But hell do they make up for it.

See My Setup Here

 

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

mhrischuk is online now  
post #23 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hmmmm another confirmation that I'm half a bubble off as I like the looks of the Danley's.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

NWCgrad is offline  
post #24 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Oh, those Danley SM60F...after hearing them at Popalock's on Friday, was very impressed. Now really eager to hear how they stack up against the 212.

speakers for sale: Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c ~ bookshelf horn speakers
my speakers: jtr 212ht lcr, 8lp surrounds, dual orbit shifters
asoofi1 is offline  
post #25 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Man I got to start selling some dope so I drop 6k on a pair of speakers biggrin.gif
andyc56 likes this.
chalugadp is online now  
post #26 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
mhrischuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garnet Valley, Pa.
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Yea some of them DIY's are quite impressive.
But then I haven't heard one that I would say beats the flagships we heard.

See My Setup Here

 

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

mhrischuk is online now  
post #27 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Oh, those Danley SM60F...after hearing them at Popalock's on Friday, was very impressed. Now really eager to hear how they stack up against the 212.

Others will chime in too, but I own the 212's and I'm not unhappy about that. But I preferred the Danley's most in Andrews room. Having said that, I thought they sound like the 212's in my own room, so it's important not to discount the space in which you listen. Speakers sound different in different rooms.

The only nagging question in my mind is whether the Danley's would sound better in my own room than the 212's.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
Gooddoc is online now  
post #28 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
mhrischuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garnet Valley, Pa.
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Others will chime in too, but I own the 212's and I'm not unhappy about that. But I preferred the Danley's most in Andrews room. Having said that, I thought they sound like the 212's in my own room, so it's important not to discount the space in which you listen. Speakers sound different in different rooms.

The only nagging question in my mind is whether the Danley's would sound better in my own room than the 212's.

That is exactly my experience with the CAT12's. They sounded very different in my space.
I know what the Legacy's sounded like in my space. That's why I'm going back.

I think everyone needs to realize..... like the threads are titled.. "HT Heavyweights"
They might not sound so great in a living room but sound incredible in a purpose built home theater.


.

See My Setup Here

 

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

mhrischuk is online now  
post #29 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Others will chime in too, but I own the 212's and I'm not unhappy about that. But I preferred the Danley's most in Andrews room. Having said that, I thought they sound like the 212's in my own room, so it's important not to discount the space in which you listen. Speakers sound different in different rooms.

The only nagging question in my mind is whether the Danley's would sound better in my own room than the 212's.

Of course, totally agree...with my 212s on their way soon, I may have to bribe beastaudio to either bring over his danleys or bribe him to keep them out wink.gif

But something tells me both speakers will be very close from the gtg results...we shall see.

speakers for sale: Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c ~ bookshelf horn speakers
my speakers: jtr 212ht lcr, 8lp surrounds, dual orbit shifters
asoofi1 is offline  
post #30 of 798 Old 01-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
mhrischuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garnet Valley, Pa.
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 69
My room is not symmetrical. Andrew's theater has symmetrical side walls. I think that is number one. Number two is what's in the room. Dampening is key. Andrews room has two rows of soft thick seating, a drop ceiling and wall treatments.
Add a bunch of bodies and you have a nice environment for the big boys.
dragonleepenn likes this.

See My Setup Here

 

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

mhrischuk is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off