Polk RTi-A7 vs EMP Tek 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am a fake audiophile ! My ears hear expensive (former musician).  However I am on a tight budget and can't afford the upper end speaker.  Lately I have been reading all kinds of post and reviews and I have left myself thoroughly confused. I am torn between the EMP Tek 55's, B&W 684, CF-70 and the RTI-A7's.  So here is my problem:

Room Size is 18x24

Budget is $2000 MMMAAXXX!!!!

This will be used for movies and some concert DVD's from Harry Connick to Stevie Wonder.

My HT was damaged due to pipes bursting. I have Mitsubishi projector and an existing HTIB by Jamo (A600's I think...don't hold me to that) with a Polk CS10 center channel and 2 PSW 10's powered by an Onkyo 609....  I use the center that came with it as a rear and bought an additional Yamaha speaker to round out my speaker set. I know...fake audiophile.  I didn't want to part with my CS10 because it seemed like the only thing I have done right.  However, based on what I am reading, maybe that was a mistake too. I want at least a 3 way tower that handles bass but doesn't rob my subs of their fun. Please spare me because I thought I was doing it right 8 years ago.  I know a little better now.  Here is what I think I want:

Questionable: Towers and Center

Definite: Marantz AVR 4000,  Polk FX-i4's (4 of them @ 319 a pair) Rear bipole/dipoles (unless someone can talk me out of it of which I am open to).

Here is my confusion:

1.  Which speaker is the best for what I am looking for CF-70, EMP Tek 55, RTi-A7 ( I will lean a7 if I can keep my center)? 

2. Are the B&W worth the $700 voice matched center?

3. If the towers are not going to be depended on (too) heavily for bass (two subs) do I need to care about the bass performance in the towers?

4. Is there another speaker other the Magnepans (not enough space) that I should consider?

Remember I am looking to stay under 2k.  I am open to any suggestions.  I am this detailed but it typically helps eliminates questions.

I know it's a speaker post but I have had 3 Onkyo's (805, 605 and 609) with HDMI board going out on all of them.  The reviews still suggest Onkyo.  Is there anyone out there who agrees?  Will consider the 727 or 828.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
IMO the Energy CF-70's are just horrible because of the tweeter.

you do not need towers, no need for them with subs.

also you need a matching center for whatever you go with.

of the speakers you mention EMP Tech is what i would try with the matching center.

you mention B&W but you dont mention a model, do you?

also no need for the dipole/bipoles
post #3 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

No need for towers with subs...any recommendations?

Al you need is a matching center...do I start with a center or do I start with the speakers.  What center do you recommend.

EMP Tek is what I would try to match ...currently they are my front runner but of course I don't have any way of listening to them.  I am aware of EMPs return policy which is outstanding.

B&W I thought the 684B's were mentioned but I may not have.  Is the center channel worth getting the speakers.  If I am going to pay that much for a center I would rather get better speakers later. Agree or disagree?

The person at crutchfield recommended I get dipole/bipole for the complete home theater feel.  Why not dipole...just curious.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakeaudiophile View Post

No need for towers with subs...any recommendations?

Al you need is a matching center...do I start with a center or do I start with the speakers.  What center do you recommend.

EMP Tek is what I would try to match ...currently they are my front runner but of course I don't have any way of listening to them.  I am aware of EMPs return policy which is outstanding.

B&W I thought the 684B's were mentioned but I may not have.  Is the center channel worth getting the speakers.  If I am going to pay that much for a center I would rather get better speakers later. Agree or disagree?

The person at crutchfield recommended I get dipole/bipole for the complete home theater feel.  Why not dipole...just curious.

center for the emp techs...

http://emptek.com/e56ci.php

http://emptek.com/e5ci.php

first of all your subs arent that great, sorry but its the truth. but with subs you do not need towers.

as far as the center, whatever mains you get will usually have a matching center for them.

as for as dipole/bipole, it is fine to use them, but they should be positioned correctly to get the effect they are designed for.
dolby no longer recommends dipole/bipoles any more, they were more important in the days of pro logic, now all channels are discreet, so you dont need their effect anymore.

also HTD has a great return policy and their CS is top notch.

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

and these are very good also...

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS30BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S30-4-2-way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Black/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS50BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S50-4-3-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-Black/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS70BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S70-5-3-way-Floorstanding-Speakers-Each-Black/1.html

at the price for the cambridge towers i would get them over their bookshelves for the front.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mark62.  I will check these out.

Yeah I know...my subs suck.  They were inexpensive and at the time balanced out the room, at least I thought they did.  I will eventually upgrade them.

Oh one more thing, the B&Ws? Thoughts?

post #6 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 145
B$W, excellent speaker, but I have never felt like they are a good speaker for the price- in other words, you rarely see a great price on these!
On the other hand, emp speakers are a great buy for the price! I have owned EMP towers for 1.5 yrs and love them!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #7 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have a sub connected?  If so do you really need it? Is the bass enough in a HT environment or while listening to a concert dvd? Is it worth spending another $400 bucks on the RTi-a7 and csa6 or the  $700 more on the B&W 684 and HT61 center? Will I notice the difference in sound...I know I will in money.

post #8 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 145
For HT, a sub is a necessity! I have the emptek1010i with my emp setup and a klipsch 12wd with my def tech set up! The emp is far and away the best of the two subs!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #9 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakeaudiophile View Post

Do you have a sub connected?  If so do you really need it? Is the bass enough in a HT environment or while listening to a concert dvd? Is it worth spending another $400 bucks on the RTi-a7 and csa6 or the  $700 more on the B&W 684 and HT61 center? Will I notice the difference in sound...I know I will in money.

a nice $400 pair of bookshelves with $500 sub will be better than the rti-a7.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
^ yup

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page