post #31 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregan Dunn View Post

If you mean do I understand that the Klipsch speakers are a good deal, yeah I totally follow you. Still not keen to add a receiver for no really good reason to my setup. Not saying I will not do it, just that it's something that I'd like to avoid if at all possible. Having to explain to my girlfriend a millions times over the next five to ten years how to turn the volume up and how to get x, y, or z working on the speakers does not appeal to me. The simpler I make it the better.

Once a receiver is set up, changing the volume is easy.  Generally, there is one knob on the front of it that you turn, clockwise to increase volume, and counterclockwise to decrease volume.  On a remote control, there is typically a button for increasing the volume, and a button for decreasing the volume.  Changing the volume on a receiver is as easy as changing the volume on anything that has a variable volume control.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Of course, I know this, you know this, every guy under the sun knows this. Explain this to your girlfriend and you get a confused look. Making sure that everything is on and that your tuner is set to the right output etc, often seems a stretch for some/many women. Frankly though, I too want to avoid having three or four controllers in my living room (or having to buy some high end expensive all in one controller that keeps needing reprogramming) and having to turn on and off multiple items in my living room to turn on the TV. Having an overbearing remote with a hundred buttons on it for controlling the receiver and you only ever use POWER, VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN is crazy. Been there, done that in the past and I don't want to bother with it again.

post #33 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:

Of course, I know this, you know this, every guy under the sun knows this. Explain this to your girlfriend and you get a confused look. Making sure that everything is on and that your tuner is set to the right output etc, often seems a stretch for some/many women. Frankly though, I too want to avoid having three or four controllers in my living room (or having to buy some high end expensive all in one controller that keeps needing reprogramming) and having to turn on and off multiple items in my living room to turn on the TV. Having an overbearing remote with a hundred buttons on it for controlling the receiver and you only ever use POWER, VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN is crazy. Been there, done that in the past and I don't want to bother with it again.
Man Rule #1: He who dies with the most remotes wins.
Man Rule #2: You won't lose control over your HT if the woman of the house can't figure out how to use it. cool.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #34 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Gregan ( no offense here, just having fun!)

If your girlfriend can't understand a simple thing like switching from tv to blu ray, maybe you are looking at the wrong upgrade tongue.gif

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #35 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well played sir, well played. :)

post #36 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

ahahah! loooove the sarcasm in his face cool.gif

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #37 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

@ jevans64: Your setup seems a little pricey for me. You're clearly someone who digs top notch sound... while I can appreciate it I'm not looking to pay super high end prices here. Considering I've been happy with my Bose Companion 3 speakers I'm not looking for a massive upgrade here. As for controlling my sources, I was just going to use the inputs on my TV. I've only got Apple TV at this point and in future I'll maybe have an HDTV cable box and an Xbox One. My TV has three HDMI inputs some I'm covered.

You can certainly do better price-wise and still get a decent system, but audio quality trumps saving a few bucks for me. I'm still amazed at what I can hear/pick out with my speaker and DAC setup. I listen to a lot of Classical and Drum Corp music. I can pick out individual harmonies played under a prominent melody. The benefit for me is that I can determine what notes the harmony is playing in the background. I can't even do this on my expensive main room, and I have $12K in speakers in that room.

You can still have a decent setup with the JBL 305s active speakers and the Audioengine ( or Schitt ) DAC mentioned in other threads. The main reason for a DAC, especially a USB DAC, is to keep the signal digital as long as possible before converting it to analog and then running RCA to the speakers. Most sound cards have those 3.5mm stereo pairs where two signals run through the same cable. Getting a DAC would allow you to use the TosLink out. I remember when Creative made that " drive bay expansion " that had regular RCA connectors on it. If you have one of those, that would be the best way to go without a DAC. I used my actives without a DAC for a while using a 3.5mm to RCA splitter ( $3 ) and that worked fine, but I get more " detail " using the DAC with the on-board RealTek audio. My systems are small form-factor, so adding a sound card is impossible. One of the systems I just built is only 11" x 8.75" x 7", is WATER-COOLED using a Corsair H80i, has a Haswell i7-4770K, 16 GB DDR3, two 750GB drives, Asus Maximus VI motherboard, MSI GTX 760, 6x BD burner. It is quiet ( under 32 dBA at 1 meter ) and capable of playing most games at 60 FPS or better.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #38 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

If your girlfriend can't understand a simple thing like switching from tv to blu ray, maybe you are looking at the wrong upgrade tongue.gif

You should say it without apology.  Either he is unjustly maligning his girlfriend, or he really is looking at the wrong upgrade.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #39 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm mostly unjustly maligning my girlfriend. She's a smart cookie and would be able to figure it out, but when she comes home to watch TV she wants it to just work without hassle as do I. I've messed with 5.1 setups in the past where the settings on all components have to be aligned perfectly to work and it's a major PITA for the payout that 1 hour in every ten spent in front of the TV actually takes advantage of the 5.1 setup.

post #40 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
No offense to the OP but this seems to be a case of not knowing enough to realize that what youre asking is simply impossible. Unrealistic expectations if you will.
He wants a 5.1 system in 2 different rooms with no amplifier that is so easy to control that a 3 year old can figure it out and not run any wires at a budget of less than $500.
Or atleast thats what I gather.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #41 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm mostly unjustly maligning my girlfriend. She's a smart cookie and would be able to figure it out, but when she comes home to watch TV she wants it to just work without hassle as do I. I've messed with 5.1 setups in the past where the settings on all components have to be aligned perfectly to work and it's a major PITA for the payout that 1 hour in every ten spent in front of the TV actually takes advantage of the 5.1 setup.
Now that youve gotten some suggestions maybe you should start over.
What do you really want and what is your budget?

post #42 of 49 Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

DLNA might be your answer. My receiver doesn't have it and I have since abandoned it, but when I had it on whenever I turned my BD player on, my TV came on as well and automatically changed to the correct source. if your receiver has this option, that may be your answer.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
post #43 of 49 Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrew View Post

DLNA might be your answer. My receiver doesn't have it and I have since abandoned it, but when I had it on whenever I turned my BD player on, my TV came on as well and automatically changed to the correct source. if your receiver has this option, that may be your answer.
Thats not DLNA. Its CEC.

post #44 of 49 Old 01-29-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

There are A LOT of people out there that agree with you. http://reviews.cnet.com/best-home-theater-speakers/

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

Have you ever owned one of the older logitech sets? You obviously have never owned a set, because you wouldn't likely be trash talking them if you had.

I have a high end 7.2 system, but still think the logitechs kick some serious tail for what they cost. You can snag a set up 680s for around 100 bucks on craigslist. Idk anywhere else you can get bigger better sound in that price range even buying used.

The new logitechs are garbage, you have to specifically seek out some of the thx certified older models. The z680 is a 5.1 setup that's been independently bench tested with very good results. The same goes for the z-5500 which was the successor to the 680.
post #45 of 49 Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to put some thought into this over the week-end as I move into my new home. That Vizio 5.1 sound bar setup looks good for the bedroom and living room and perhaps I get a pair of Sonos for the living room/dining room and a single for the bathroom. I'll pop back in once I've put some proper thought into this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Now that youve gotten some suggestions maybe you should start over.
What do you really want and what is your budget?
post #46 of 49 Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM

Liked: 16
Gregan,

I think some of the members here are just trying to express that $/quality ratio for Bose system isn't there. Separates aren't that difficult to use. Don't let the myriad of buttons and remotes overwhelm. My wife and I think even my 6 year old now know how to turn on our HT system at home. Now they do stay away from my 2.1 channel system. But that's because they know it's "Daddy listening to jazz relaxing system".

I also have one of those HTIB set up in our bedroom... a hold over from my younger days living in a tiny apt. It is fine. Sonically not as great as my B&W sets. Aesthetically they are ok.... even so I think my B&Ws look better! But they are not comparable.

You should just go with whatever set-ups that satisfies you and your gf. Harmony at home is equally as important as harmony coming from speakers. smile.gif

cheers!
post #47 of 49 Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Here is my suggestion... In these days, some reallllly nice receivers exist in the 500$ bracket that are 7.1, and multi zone... I.E : the pioneer VSX-1023-K... There are aso some denon models, some harman kardon receivers in that bracket that offer those capabilities.

You could add a very decent bookshelf speaker like the infinity p143 that can now be had for a ridiculous 60$ each... And put as much as you want EVERYYYYWHERE.

I know it's not totally what you want, but it would do most of it pretty well, and way under a grand.

Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #48 of 49 Old 01-30-2014, 06:24 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Funny how much disdain some people seem to have for Bose speakers. Saying that they sound hardly better than built in TV speakers is ludicrous. The Bose Companion speakers have damn solid sound for their $200-$500 price range and they are simple as hell to setup and you don't need a reciever for them. 

My dad has always loved his Bose Acoustimass system. I bought him Cambridge S30s and a Klipsch RW-12D for Christmas. The sound doesn't compare, especially the bass. I don't know what the Companion bass module is like but the Acoustimass bass module is awful both in terms of deep bass and loud bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

So true! It's time to invest in a Harmony remote. wink.gif

I've owned the Z-680s and liked them. I certainly thought they were a step up from the Bose in all but maybe clarity and loudness (never heard the Bose pushed loud). They have a very simple to use remote. If all you need is input switching and volume have no fear.
post #49 of 49 Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Man Rule #1: He who dies with the most remotes wins.
Man Rule #2: You won't lose control over your HT if the woman of the house can't figure out how to use it. cool.gif

This should be a sticky ha ha

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page