Best Amp Free Speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm trying to come up with a gameplan for my new town home and I'm starting to realize that an amplifier free setup might be the best way for me to go. It's less expensive, less complicated, saves room and wires.

I was perfectly happy with my Bose Companion 3 speakers on my TV set until recently. I was simply thinking of upgrading to the new Bose Companion 5 2.1 speakers (this setup has the challenge of the fact that my TV has an optical out and the Bose Companion 5 have USB in, I'm hoping that's a solvable problem).

It would be nice to have a 5.1 setup if at all possible in my living room and bedroom without the expense of a couple of $300-$500 amplifiers.

Are there any options to consider or worth considering?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm assuming you mean powered speakers, which would have the amp built in to the speakers themselves. Some of those can costs thousands of dollars each.

Optical to USB is not possible without something converting the signal.

For $400 - $500, you can do much better. If 5.1 is a must, I would look in to a home theater in a box solution from Accessories4less.com. If not, a simple stereo amplifier and perhaps a pair of towers such as BIC DV-64s or Cambridge S70s will do the trick and be within your budget.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
post #3 of 49 Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I guess the first thing to think about is if you have any outlets near any possible speaker locations.

Powered speakers, or Active Monitors as they are called, can actually be more expensive than their passive counterparts. Active monitors are generally used in studios and that is what they are aimed for. You would still have to run a signal cable from a pre-amplifier to the speakers plus a power cord from speaker to outlet. Something you may look at is a traditional passive speaker and receiver combo plus wireless transmitters to the speakers. Not sure how much power wireless speakers can handle, but it usually isn't that much. Even if you go with active monitors, you would still need something to handle your sources, like a DAC or pre-amp. Receivers with built-in amplifiers are cheaper and more plentiful than pre-amplifiers and are typically the same size as receivers.

Active monitors would set you back $300 to $500 a pair, a budget receiver or pre-amp another $600 refurbished for ones with pre-amp output, and $200 a pop for the wireless transmitters ( Alto or Phonic, which are live performance solutions ) per speaker. There may be budget transmitters for consumers, but I don't know much about them.

I think an active monitor + pre-amp/DAC is the way to go for 2-channel with subwoofer, but a traditional setup is probably easier for a 5-channel or greater setup.

I have both a 2.1 setup for my computers and an 11 speaker setup in my main room. Of course, the 11 speaker setup is easier to setup with passive speakers and receivers/amplifiers.

The 2.1 system for the computers is an active speaker setup plus DAC...

Emotiva DC-1 DAC = $500
Emotiva Airmotiv 5 speakers = $450
SVS SB-1000 sub-woofer = $500
Cabling ( XLR, RCA, TosLink, USB ) = $200

The advantage here is a great-sounding, compact 2-channel setup. The DAC sits on top of a couple of AMS Venus DS3R enclosures.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #4 of 49 Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregan Dunn View Post

It's less expensive, less complicated, saves room and wires.
It's not any of those things, unless you stick to 2.0 or 2.1. You have to run signal and power to each speaker.
Quote:
the expense of a couple of $300-$500 amplifiers.
You don't need that. No one needs that, it's not a requirement.
post #5 of 49 Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
A cheap active setup would need a pre/pro like an Emotiva UMC-200 ($599) and 5 speakers say KRK 5s ($150/ea, $750 total) plus a cheap subwoofer ($200?). So $1500 total? Not sure what your budget is, if it's tighter than that you might want a home-theather-in-a-box or computer speakers or something.
post #6 of 49 Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1213
Quote:

I'm trying to come up with a gameplan for my new town home and I'm starting to realize that an amplifier free setup might be the best way for me to go. It's less expensive, less complicated, saves room and wires.
There's no such thing as an amplifier free setup. Amps may be contained within an AVR or they may be mounted in the speakers but they're somewhere one way or another.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 49 Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Looks my lack of clarity and improper use of terminology is causing confusion [Considering I don't know the difference between an amp and a preamp and I am under the impression that receiver and amplifier can be used interchangeably].

Psychobrew: Yeah, I figured there would have to be a converter. I'm currently using a converter to go from optical out to the headphone jack in on the Bose Companion 3 setups. It works ok, though there is a bit of lag between the Bose speakers and the internal TV speakers (which may be just the optical out or it could be the converter I got). I'm assuming/hoping there is something similar for optical -> USB... I'd rather stay away from towers, but I get your point. Many people say you over pay for what Bose sells, better to piece together something. I just like that there is no extra box that I've got to stick somewhere to power/control the speakers.

@ jevans64: Your setup seems a little pricey for me. You're clearly someone who digs top notch sound... while I can appreciate it I'm not looking to pay super high end prices here. Considering I've been happy with my Bose Companion 3 speakers I'm not looking for a massive upgrade here. As for controlling my sources, I was just going to use the inputs on my TV. I've only got Apple TV at this point and in future I'll maybe have an HDTV cable box and an Xbox One. My TV has three HDMI inputs some I'm covered.

@ Buzzy: As I see it, a solution like or similar to the Bose Companion 5 speaker setup is less expensive, less complicated and saves wires. My TV can handle/control all my sources and one single audio out to the back of a subwoofer that powers controls my speakers is simpler. I don't need/want a big box in my living room whose sole purpose is to power/control my speakers (cheapest amp/receiver at best buy is a $200 Denon... and it's a big mother f'er). If, as you say I don't need that, then what are my options? 

@ Astralite: Yeah, not looking to drop $700 on a receiver... I was asking if there were other similar computer speakers to the Bose Companion 5 that I should consider. I'll take a closer look at the home theatres in a box options over the next few days to see if anything catches my eyes.

post #8 of 49 Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Well, you can plug your USB right into these.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A2-plus-B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

A5's are a bit more - if you want better bass.
post #9 of 49 Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Perhaps a better question for me to ask is: What's the best combo of price/performance for an amplifier/receiver that is like the NAD D 3020 (but supports 5.1). This thing is pretty much what I'm looking for (except that it's only 2.1 and the price tag is high!). It has one audio input, simple controls, it's small and compact.

post #10 of 49 Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Perhaps a better question for me to ask is: What's the best combo of price/performance for an amplifier/receiver that is like the NAD D 3020 (but supports 5.1). This thing is pretty much what I'm looking for (except that it's only 2.1 and the price tag is high!). It has one audio input, simple controls, it's small and compact.

I replied to your post in "audio theory" section.
My opinion...powered speakers are best for "near field" listening.
Ie at your computer desk..

Your gonna have to run some wires to get what you want done.
post #11 of 49 Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

My opinion...powered speakers are best for "near field" listening.
Ie at your computer desk..
These are powered speakers:

If you're within 1,000 odd feet of them you're within their nearfield.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #12 of 49 Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Tbh, I'd seek out a used set of Logitech z-680 or z5500, both have optical inputs and a remote.
post #13 of 49 Old 01-23-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

These are powered speakers:

If you're within 1,000 odd feet of them you're within their nearfield.

How big would the monitor be for those "nearfield" speakers??
Something like the big screen at the Dallas Cowboys stadium?
LOL.
post #14 of 49 Old 01-27-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

Tbh, I'd seek out a used set of Logitech z-680 or z5500, both have optical inputs and a remote.

I've been thinking long and hard about doing this!

post #15 of 49 Old 01-27-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Bose companion speakers are hardly even better than TV speakers. They are just go a little louder. Get yourself some proper speakers.
post #16 of 49 Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Bose companion speakers are hardly even better than TV speakers. They are just go a little louder. Get yourself some proper speakers.
Like these for $299?
http://www.klipsch.com/quintet-sl-home-theater-system/details

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #17 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

That doesn't really come with a sub or an amp though.
post #18 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

That doesn't really come with a sub or an amp though.
No. But for $200 you can get a good 5.1 receiver and for $100 get a decent sub. For $600 youd have a pretty nice surround system. Perfect for a bedroom, office or small living room and will sound far better than either of those Logitech options.

post #19 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Funny how much disdain some people seem to have for Bose speakers. Saying that they sound hardly better than built in TV speakers is ludicrous. The Bose Companion speakers have damn solid sound for their $200-$500 price range and they are simple as hell to setup and you don't need a reciever for them. 

post #20 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

post #21 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

One of the reviews posted really resonates with me:

5.1 made easy!
By Harun Ar-rashid - July 11, 2013
If you'd asked me a couple years ago which 5.1 sound system to buy, my answer would have been simple: "none."

They were a big expensive pain. It seemed like my friends who had these systems would either have them only half set up (say, ditching the surround speakers) or fully set up but not used (because the input selection or the remote was too much of a pain). My previous roommate had a 5.1 "surround" system - with all five speakers under the TV. We rarely used it because we had to change 3 settings in 3 different places to make it work.

Let's review the misery of yesterday's 5.1 systems, shall we?

1) You needed to place and wire six speakers: left, center, right, left surround, right surround, plus a bass module. That's a lot of wires, speaker stands, and connections.
2) To connect the left and right surround speakers, you needed to run wires across your seating area. That's pretty ugly unless you go through the effort to make conduits or buy a special rug.
3) You needed to purchase a separate receiver to power those speakers - and connect it too.
4) You paid for all that - an absolute minimum of $400, with nicer gear easily double that.
5) You needed to manage additional remotes and settings. Good luck if you ever asked a friend to change the volume.

Well, it's almost as though Vizio started with this list, and then eliminated these problems one by one when making this 5.1 soundbar. The soundbar itself combines Left, Center and Right channels into one thin module that will fit in front of your TV, assuming you use a TV stand with at least two inches of space there. There are no speaker stands or speaker wires, and no separate receiver - the amplifier is built in! The only wires are the ones you absolutely need: sound input (an optical cable in most cases) and power.

But what about the bass module and surround speakers? This is where the Vizio really shines. Low frequency sounds like those from the bass module cannot be well localized by the human auditory system. Simply put, you can place the bass module anywhere in the room, and it will sound nearly the same to a human. So why not place it behind your seating area where it can also connect to the surround speakers? Tada! You plug the bass module into a power outlet behind your seating area and the surround speakers into the bass module. No wires run across your living room. The audio signal is sent wirelessly, with pairing automatically set up when you plug in the bass module. Just try to keep the bass module within 60 feet.

But what about the remotes and connections? Again this product is one step ahead. Through an easy setup process, you can program the soundbar to respond to the volume commands from your TV remote. No need to dig up the sound bar remote. Now, even your drunk football buddy can change the volume. But what about turning the sound bar on and off? You must need the sound bar remote for that right? Nope. It also has a power saving feature, so it turns itself off automatically. To turn it back on, just turn up the volume on your TV remote. Genius: these three tweaks mean you don't even need the sound bar's own remote after day one. Something lots of other reviewers have noted (which I somehow took for granted) was that the remote includes a small LCD display to help you navigate options without commandeering your TV's UI or cluttering the appearance of the soundbar itself. Nicely done; other UI designers would do well to copy this.

A point for the fellow TV audio nerds out there: according to various internet sources, "most" televisions downmix the 5.1 audio signals they receive to stereo at their outputs, meaning that if you connect the optical audio output from the TV to a sound system, your sound system only gets two channels, even if the TV received 5.1 input. To work around the curse of those TVs, you need to plug the cable box, TiVo AND Blu-Ray player directly into your sound system, possibly using a switcher, which is a pain! However, there's good news here for Vizio TV owners like me: Vizio is one of the brands of TVs that outputs true 5.1 audio from its optical output. (Or at least it does on my VF550M which is a few years old.) I even borrowed a bitstream analyzer from a coworker and verified it. But you don't have to go that far to check on yours: the soundbar lights up with a "Dolby Digital" light for about two seconds when it detects a Dolby Digital bitstream, which is generally 5.1. Pretty cool.

Even if you don't give 5.1 input to this system, it can create 5.1 for you through a built-in upmixer provided by audio tech company DTS. Just give it stereo and the upmixer takes care of the rest. It's not as good as real 5.1 but it makes pretty good use of all the speakers. I enjoyed this feature when playing my iPod music on the system using its Bluetooth option. Which reminds me: this system has a Bluetooth option. It makes a damn loud party sound system, which Vizio claims outputs 102 dB SPL. I verified that it will indeed put out sound at or above what psychoacousticians call the "threshold of pain."

A few nits. First, the soundbar isn't quite as wide as I'd like: the left, center and right channels in it are all too close to each other. I use my sound bar with a 55 inch HDTV that I sit about 8 feet from. Unless I sit closer, audio from the sound bar generally fails to sound well "spread out." I kind of wish the sound bar would telescope so I could spread the left and right speakers wider! Second, when using Bluetooth the sound quality can be poor - kind of like a pirated MP3 rather than the high quality iTunes audio I'm streaming. I work around this by using the Spotify app on my TiVo to stream music directly from the internet to the soundbar. A final issue, which might be a soundbar bug or a weakness of digital audio in general, occurs when initiating or restarting digital audio, such as on Netflix or TiVo-played cable TV. The sound will either begin after a quick loud "snap" noise, or take a couple seconds to fade in after video has begun playing. Obviously, it should be instant and flawless.

The overall package though is a total winner. As you may know it's won consumer awards including a Best of CES award from CNET. It's priced aggressively at $330 and the convenience is liberating. I recommend buying it and freeing yourself from the headaches of yesterday's 5.1.
355 of 388 people found this review helpful
post #22 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

No. But for $200 you can get a good 5.1 receiver and for $100 get a decent sub. For $600 youd have a pretty nice surround system. Perfect for a bedroom, office or small living room and will sound far better than either of those Logitech options.

Have you ever owned one of the older logitech sets? You obviously have never owned a set, because you wouldn't likely be trash talking them if you had.

I have a high end 7.2 system, but still think the logitechs kick some serious tail for what they cost. You can snag a set up 680s for around 100 bucks on craigslist. Idk anywhere else you can get bigger better sound in that price range even buying used.

The new logitechs are garbage, you have to specifically seek out some of the thx certified older models. The z680 is a 5.1 setup that's been independently bench tested with very good results. The same goes for the z-5500 which was the successor to the 680.
post #23 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You following me Gregan?

post #24 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

I don't get it? What do you mean?

post #25 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't get it? What do you mean?
Just a joke. Ive spent the last hour over at the s4251 thread and at the same time you discover it.

post #26 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

If you mean do I understand that the Klipsch speakers are a good deal, yeah I totally follow you. Still not keen to add a receiver for no really good reason to my setup. Not saying I will not do it, just that it's something that I'd like to avoid if at all possible. Having to explain to my girlfriend a millions times over the next five to ten years how to turn the volume up and how to get x, y, or z working on the speakers does not appeal to me. The simpler I make it the better.

post #27 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Just a joke. Ive spent the last hour over at the s4251 thread and at the same time you discover it.

I thought that you meant something like that but wasn't sure!

What are your thoughts on that sound bar setup? I'll have to go find the thread...

post #28 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

Looks my lack of clarity and improper use of terminology is causing confusion [Considering I don't know the difference between an amp and a preamp and I am under the impression that receiver and amplifier can be used interchangeably].

A receiver is a tuner (radio), preamplifier (AKA control amplifier), and a power amplifier all in one box.  It may also contain other things, like surround processors or video processors, but those are not necessary features of a receiver.  The preamplifier is the part that has the input switching, volume control, tone controls (if any); this also explains its less common name, control amplifier.  The power amplifier is the part that drives the speakers.  An integrated amplifier is a preamplifier and power amplifier in one box.

"Amp," in this context, is short for "amplifier."  (In other contexts, it can be short for "ampere," a unit of electrical current.)  If someone does not say what sort of amplifier one is talking about, one tries to figure it out from the context, though it may be impossible in some cases to know what someone means.

As for the disdain of Bose speakers, take a look at this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130121081646/http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

The writer is a bit overwrought, and Bose also makes more than one kind of speaker, so it is not representative of everything they do.  But it is an example of overpriced junk.  If you know anything about frequency response graphs or specifications, you can see that they are junk from the quoted measurements from Sound & Vision.  So there is a reason why many people hate Bose, though often their hatred goes beyond reason and they fail to distinguish between different Bose products.  For my part, I will never buy Bose, but some people should get a grip and keep their remarks grounded in reality instead of making outrageously exaggerated comments about the company.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #29 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought that you meant something like that but wasn't sure!

What are your thoughts on that sound bar setup? I'll have to go find the thread...
Its a soundbar. Generally youre paying far too much for a little convenience and inferior sound. Its all the rave for people that dont understand AV and are easy to please.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/480#post_24278774
stormwind13 likes this.

post #30 of 49 Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

+1 on this ^^, don't waste money on soundbars.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page