Advice for speaker range of 3000-4000 dollars - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I left the CIEM world and I am experiencing a whole new world here at avsforum.

I do not know anything about speakers.

I can tell you I like classical music. Symphonies and Concerti.

I have a budget of 4000 dollars.

What brand should I go with with 4000 dollars?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 AM

Liked: 17
If you live near a city, go audition speakers in your price range. Find the ones you like after sitting with them for over an hour. First impressions can be the polar opposite of what you eventually hear.

In that range I like the Harbeth SHL5, Dynaudio C1, B&W 802N used and Magnepan 1.7 or 3.7. (I own those).
post #3 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply

I will check out B&W 

post #4 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Is B&W good for classical music?

Will I need an amp to run these speakers?

post #5 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM

I honestly am not sure if you are asking if you need a separate amp (i.e. other than a receiver you already have) or if you are so completely new to stereo sound reproduction that you aren't sure what components you need to get music in the house. So please take no insult at this, but I'll go right back to basics.

To play music on a stereo, you essentially need three things; a source, an amplifier, and speakers. If you already have a receiver, there are certainly speakers out there that you can get in the price range you mentioned that will play nicely with the generally less powerful amplifier section found in most receivers. If you currently don't have any stereo gear, than really your budget is 3 to 4 thousand dollars for a source, amplifier, and speakers.

In the long-long ago, a source was either a turntable or a tuner. Tape decks were also included. Few people today are running tape decks or tuners, but turntables are still popular. I don't recommend you start with vinyl, unless you already have a large record collection.

Probably still the most popular source is a disk player, either CD, DVD or Blu-Ray. You probably have one of these for movies laying around. These days, the computer is becoming a very popular source for music, whether in the form of ripped CDs, downloaded music (MP3s, HiRez downloads, etc.) or streaming services such as Rhapsody or Spotify. Since you've posted on the internet we can assume you have a computer.

I recommend you take a look at computeraudiophile.com for some ideas on how to get music from your computer to a stereo. This will leave you with the bulk of your budge for an amplifier and speakers. There are many different ways to do this, but a decent integrated amp such as the one from Peachtree will have a Digital to Analog converter included, which you can output your computer to. This will leave you about 2 to 3 thousand dollars of your budget for speakers.

Try to listen to a bunch, if you can. Make sure the salesperson knows what you have for amplification, so that they don't point you towards speakers that are difficult for your amplifier to drive.

Finally, B&W makes many fine speakers at many price points, and they are certainly good for listening to classical music. Many of the speakers in your price range will not reproduce the very bottom octave of recorded music faithfully, however. This is really only an issue with organ music and some large orchestral works, though.

post #6 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Focal Aria, Monitor Audio Silver, and maybe PSB Imagine

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Liked: 14

Hands down b&w cm10 if you can spend exactly 4k. Unbelievable... 

post #8 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
for consideration:

Salk Supercharged Songtower

Philharmonic Audio Slim Tower

Dennis Murphy, who owns Philharmonic Audio, has designed many of the crossovers used in the Salk speaker line. He is also a violinist with the Washington Philharmonic Orchestra.

Salk SongTowers-RAAL / SongCenter-RAAL / SongSurrounds; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2; Salamander Designs Synergy
post #9 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM
post #10 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For classical music (my own listening preference) I strongly urge you to listen to the Martin-Logan Electromotion ESL (electrostatic/dynamic hybrid) loudspeakers. They have remarkable transparency and clarity. You can audition them at the Magnolia store within Best Buy. They can be driven by any good-quality amplifier and will set you back less than $2500 for the pair.
post #11 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

You guys Thanks so much for your opinion

I appreciate it.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hardin View Post

For classical music (my own listening preference) I strongly urge you to listen to the Martin-Logan Electromotion ESL (electrostatic/dynamic hybrid) loudspeakers. They have remarkable transparency and clarity. You can audition them at the Magnolia store within Best Buy. They can be driven by any good-quality amplifier and will set you back less than $2500 for the pair.

+1 on electrostats

i kinda brain farted when thinking of something good for you.

I had some Acoustat 2+2's years ago and stats are just amazing for classical.
post #13 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Liked: 20

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/lsr28p.htm

ebay, used, are found reasonably sometime. These are 'powered' studio grade 
reference monitors.
post #14 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bralas View Post

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/lsr28p.htm

ebay, used, are found reasonably sometime. These are 'powered' studio grade 
reference monitors.

+1 on this. An inexpensive way to get a neutral sound. In this price range I like JBL, Adam, Mackie HR, and Genelec. Emotiva looks like they have some great monitors with their Stealth 8s as well, although I have not heard them yet, but the posted measurements are terrific. From Adam I would look at the A7x, these are great monitors with a beautiful high end and nice soundstage. From JBL, I would look at the LSR4238, this has onboard room correction and, as with all LSRs, will have a very neutral response with solid components. From Mackie I would look at the HR824 mk2, these are so highly performing that they are THX pm3 certified, which means they can be used to create THX soundtracks with. That is not an easy performance metric to achieve. I would pair those guys up with a couple of subwoofers. My choices would be a couple of Hsu ULS subs or a couple of Rythmik sealed 15"s.

Since all of these speakers are self powered, could just skip an receiver entirely if you are only going to connect them to a single source like a computer. You will want a good audio interface for a computer if that is your source, something with good analogue output jacks. If you skip the AVR, you will want a crossover to split the frequencies for the speaker versus the subwoofer. Here is a good simple tool for doing that.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hardin View Post

i love these but FYI they are tall and they shoot a beam of sound, you have to be in that beam for it to sound great. It wont really fill the room like traditional speakers. but they are awesome..

post #16 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

+1 on this. An inexpensive way to get a neutral sound. In this price range I like JBL, Adam, Mackie HR, and Genelec. Emotiva looks like they have some great monitors with their Stealth 8s as well, although I have not heard them yet, but the posted measurements are terrific. From Adam I would look at the A7x, these are great monitors with a beautiful high end and nice soundstage. From JBL, I would look at the LSR4238, this has onboard room correction and, as with all LSRs, will have a very neutral response with solid components. From Mackie I would look at the HR824 mk2, these are so highly performing that they are THX pm3 certified, which means they can be used to create THX soundtracks with. That is not an easy performance metric to achieve. I would pair those guys up with a couple of subwoofers. My choices would be a couple of Hsu ULS subs or a couple of Rythmik sealed 15"s.

Since all of these speakers are self powered, could just skip an receiver entirely if you are only going to connect them to a single source like a computer. You will want a good audio interface for a computer if that is your source, something with good analogue output jacks. If you skip the AVR, you will want a crossover to split the frequencies for the speaker versus the subwoofer. Here is a good simple tool for doing that.

arent these all near field though?

post #17 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It is true that there is a fairly narrow "sweet spot" for the ESLs to deliver their best sound-stage and imaging, but they certainly fill my rather large (roughly 29' x 15') room with lovely sound.
post #18 of 26 Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by papashango61 View Post

arent these all near field though?

No, they will sound the same at whatever distance. Of course, the further the speaker is away from the listener, the more dynamic range is needed to match performance for the same loudness, but those speakers wouldn't perform any less in that respect than conventional speakers. In fact, they may be a bit better since active crossovers are so much more efficient.
post #19 of 26 Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:

No, they will sound the same at whatever distance. Of course, the further the speaker is away from the listener, the more dynamic range is needed to match performance for the same loudness, but those speakers wouldn't perform any less in that respect than conventional speakers. In fact, they may be a bit better since active crossovers are so much more efficient.

then why do they call them near field monitors? 

post #20 of 26 Old 01-23-2014, 06:46 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by papashango61 View Post

Quote:

then why do they call them near field monitors? 

Unlike many even small hi-fi speakers, these can be used starting at 3-4 feet from a listener and still sound right.
post #21 of 26 Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
For classical I would go with Magnepan. There's no substitute for the wall of sound they produce. If you go with Magnepan, you'll probably want to get a dedicated subwoofer. I wouldn't get a magnepan sub. I would get one from rhythmik, SVS, or PSA.
post #22 of 26 Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

For classical I would go with Magnepan. There's no substitute for the wall of sound they produce. If you go with Magnepan, you'll probably want to get a dedicated subwoofer. I wouldn't get a magnepan sub. I would get one from rhythmik, SVS, or PSA.

I take martin logan ESLs over magnapan imo

post #23 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Personally, i would go with Klipsch Reference RF-7 II. These are the best speakers I have heard in this range.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #24 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 237
If you don't know anything about speakers, then do more research and audition some speakers before even thinking about buying.

Even guys who know a lot more than you about speakers change their speakers from year to year. biggrin.gif

If you cannot audition in stores, there are companies like NHT, Aperion, KEF Direct who offer free shipping both ways (free returns) if you decide not to keep the speakers.

But I think many speakers are good for classical music like symphonies and concertos. Revel, KEF, RBH, NHT to name just a few. They don't need to be able to play 130dB max to be good.

Don't be stuck with speakers that you cannot return or have to pay a fortune to return.

Take all opinions with a grain of salt as always because we all have different preferences. Everyone thinks the speakers he owns or likes are the "best". biggrin.gif
post #25 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I like the Klipsch RF-7's too and you will have plenty of money left to buy a very nice AVR to go with them.
And before anyone cries, "OMG the horn tweeters hurt my ear so much they bleed" ..... Bologna, the RF-7's have a very nice smooth sound with spectacular clarity and definition.

Regards,
Charlie

post #26 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Golden ear triton 7, this speaker sounds absolutely spectacular........save your money man........this speaker will compete or flat out school every speaker mentioned in the thread

I heard this speaker on mcintosh gear and it was downright magical
Reply Speakers