Book Shelf, Floor Standing, or wall mounted speakers? (Picture of room) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I can't decide what would be the best set-up for my living room (please ignore the missing trim, in the process of re-modeling). My plan is to only get the front 3, as I don't really care about having surround for movies, and I will be using this mainly for music. The picture below is taken from the couch, facing the front wall. The room dimensions are 16' x 14'. 

I'm thinking my best option might be floor standing speakers? I thought about possibly mounting something above the tv, but I would really rather not. There is plenty of room to the left of the tv, the issue is the fact that there's a hallway to the right between the closet and where the fridge is, so I can't have anything too big as it would look kind of awkward. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I would suggest some floor-standing speakers that are relatively narrow, 7-8 inches wide.

You need to specify a price range before a recommendation could be made.

I assume that you mean a 2.1 system.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

I originally planned on getting a 5.1 receiver and running just the front 3 (left, right, and center). However, I guess I should ask it a center is really necessary, depending on the speakers I get? 

I'm not looking to spend a ton as I plan on building a dedicated home theater in my basement in the future. This is just to get my by for the next year or two. Budget wise I would say $400 - $500 for the speakers and receiver. 

I should also mention I have a 15" sub that I plan on using (not the one shown in the picture)/ 

post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Your front speakers are not going to be far enough apart to want a center speaker.

That would only be needed if you had a 60-inch or larger monitor, and speakers 6 feet or more apart.

That is a pretty tight budget. The Pioneer FS-51 speakers are under $170 at Amazon though. That is the only decent thing I could see for that budget.

I would recommend the Harman-Kardon 3390 receiver, which Amazon has for $240. It has dedicated subwoofer outputs.

It appears that the TV can be moved to the left quite a bit.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

It's hard to tell from the picture but the room extends another 3 feet to the right, the divide between the kitchen and living room is pretty much where the fridge is. The part of the wall where the tv sits sticks out about 3 feet from the rest of the wall, and I think it would look strange if I moved the tv to the left. I specifically got a 47" so it would fit perfectly in that space. 

post #6 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I wondered what that was behind the TV; now I understand...lol.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, kind of hard to see in the picture. Previous home owners added a closet to the bedroom which is what you see sticking out. I thought about tearing it out as it breaks up that wall in an awkward way but decided to leave it. 

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page