In-Wall Speaker Reco < $1K: Speakercraft LCR3 Threes vs. Definitive Tech UIW55 + UIW75 vs. ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my situation:

- Building a house from the ground up
- Have a medium-small living room 20 x 18 that is being wired for in-wall 5.1 sound
- Already have a receiver (Pioneer VSX-820) and a powered subwoofer (BIC America F12)
- Need 5 in-wall speakers (L, C, R, rears) -- LCR speakers will be above the mantle of a fireplace (that will not be used, or very infrequently used)
- I am not an audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound -- have previously owned floor standing Paradigm 7s and B&W DM603s
- At the same time, I'm a tightwad and don't want to spend more than $1K total on 5 speakers
- Also don't want to spend an infinite amount of time researching

In the last 12 hours, have narrowed it down between
- Buying 5 Speakercraft LCR3 threes; or
- Buying 4 Definitive Tech UIW55s and one Definitive Tech UIW75 for center channel

I am have also thoroughly confused myself over infinite baffles. If I am using a floor-standing powered sub, do I care whether or not I have an infinite baffle or not?

Thoughts? Any other recommendations for a speaker set-up?

Thanks in advance!

bellanrusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
you might want to look at these....

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=bosvsi&x=0&y=0
post #3 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks -- the VSI 575s look very tempting. If I go with those for my fronts, do you think I also need to stick with the VSIs for surrounds to timbre match? Or could I skimp and go with something like the HSi 275 or CS 285?
post #4 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanrusty View Post

Thanks -- the VSI 575s look very tempting. If I go with those for my fronts, do you think I also need to stick with the VSIs for surrounds to timbre match? Or could I skimp and go with something like the HSi 275 or CS 285?

you can go with something different for the surrounds, as long as you keep the front three the same.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, one more q -- I suspect I will need to turn the center speaker on its side. Can I do that with the VSi 575? Or should I get the VSi 555w2?
post #6 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 447
You do not want to turn the center on its side. Leave it vertically oriented. Use the same speaker for all five channels if you can, that is actually the ideal.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, one more q -- I suspect I will need to turn the center speaker on its side. Can I do that with the VSi 575? Or should I get the VSi 555w2?

you dont want to turn it on its side.

however you can use different speakers for the rear, that will be fine, but of course matching would be ideal for the little extra cash.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would get five Speakercraft Accufit IW7s if they fit in your intended spots in the wall.. They are fully enclosed with integrated metal backboxes. You can get five of the Ones for under 1000 or five of the Threes for about 1100.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Totally forgot to ask -- should I consider not doing in-wall at all and (1) just mounting bookshelf speakers on the wall or (2) building ledges to put bookshelves on or (3) just using my existing floorstanders (but tv will be above fireplace)?
post #10 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 79
No offense, but if you are not going to use them at all or very infrequently, why are you getting anything?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #11 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

I primarily need them for home theater. My flat-panel tv has speakers, but they are rear facing, and rear facing speakers on a TV are really useless/muffle sound. The TV/speakers will probably be used 70% for home theater, 15% for gaming, 15% for just listening to music.

The impetus for getting new speakers was building a house from the ground up; wife insisting that the TV should go above the fireplace; and electrician insisting that the left/right speaker wires should be pretty high up, up above the mantle, equal to where the middle of the TV would go. I'm happy with my floorstanders (the B&W DM603s), but I figured it was probably better to have the sound coming from approximately where the TV is -- no?
post #12 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

I primarily need them for home theater. My flat-panel tv has speakers, but they are rear facing, and rear facing speakers on a TV are really useless/muffle sound. The TV/speakers will probably be used 70% for home theater, 15% for gaming, 15% for just listening to music.

The impetus for getting new speakers was building a house from the ground up; wife insisting that the TV should go above the fireplace; and electrician insisting that the left/right speaker wires should be pretty high up, up above the mantle, equal to where the middle of the TV would go. I'm happy with my floorstanders (the B&W DM603s), but I figured it was probably better to have the sound coming from approximately where the TV is -- no?

No, use the floor standing speakers. Your ears won't be that high up. smile.gif You will get much better sound quality.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #13 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I guess my electrician is an idiot.

My first instinct was, why the hell would I want to put speakers that high up?

I did Google "TVs above fireplace," and there are some people that say, "The speakers should about TV height and the front centre speaker should be just below the TV. The speakers should not be too far from the TV – this way the sounds and dialogue can be easily associated with the people [on screen] and action." In addition, there seem to be a number of people who do indeed place their speakers high up by the TV.

But I guess this is the best for sound. Perhaps a better solution is to get a mount that lowers the TV closer to the floor standing speakers. If I do that then, the big challenge becomes what to do with the center channel. Can't put it below the TV because of the fireplace. Can leave it on the mantle because I doubt the mount will lower the TV that much. Put the center channel above the mount?

Has anyone else had tried a mount that lowers the TV? If so, what did you do with the center channel?
post #14 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

dont mount the TV above the fireplace... tongue.gif
post #15 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

dont mount the TV above the fireplace... tongue.gif

Yes -- that has occurred to me as well. It seems that no good can come from mounting the TV above a fireplace, unless you're never going to use the fireplace. But if you're never going to use the fireplace, then you may as well put a TV in front of it, right?

Part of this is not only driven by my wife, but also by my wife's sister, who is a real estate broker, and she insists that the great room HAS to have a fireplace for resale value, and, given the layout/space constraints of the room, the TV HAS to go above the fireplace. So above the mantle, there's a power outlet and an AV tube. I suppose that can all be covered up by a piece of art, should I not put the TV above the fireplace...
post #16 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I would not put a TV above a fire place - I would only do it as a last resort.
Put a picture above the fireplace.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #17 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

above the fireplace= neck brace.

i know you may have to do that, but a display should be mounted so that your eyes center at the 1/3rd point from the bottom of the display.

check this out...

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-systems-equipment/72401-solution-mounting-flat-screen-tv-over-fireplace-mantel.html
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page