Advise needed for new speakers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

New here on the forum. Have been reading quite a bit over the past weeks. I just received my new receiver (yamaha RX-A1000 (7.2 130watt per channel)). All connected, but missing all the speakers. Have a couple of sonos speakers throughout the house, and a horrible soundbar I got with my wife ;-) It is time to start upgrading, so we can really enjoy movies and eventually hook it up to the sonos system. 

Checked out a few demo set ups at freys, and as of now leaning towards polk. Due to several projects, upcoming baby and compromising with wifey it is going to be a project that will slowly finalize. 

With that being said, I am planning to first get the floor speakers, followed by a sub then the center speaker, and finally the bookshelf (rear/surround) speakers. 

The living room, is pretty big, about 25 x 18 ft and additionally a semi open kitchen attached.

Floor speakers; Polk TSx440t

Center; TSx250c

Rear TSx220b

I like the speakers to be all the same brand/line if possible. The sub can be a different brand, and have no idea which one as of now. The TSx440t are on special this week for 279 each, which seems to be a great deal based on the pricing i've seen online. All together in the above setup I am guessing it will cost me around 1200 to 1400 to complete the system. 

Would this be a good set up or is there something better out there for this price range. Since its going to be a +/- 12 to 18 month project it is okay of the cost is slightly higher. 

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
you can do much better than those polks

one example...

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

or

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers

also accessories4less has the cambridge S30, S70 and the S50 for a good price..

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=Cambridge+Audio

and a sub

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB-1000#.UuB2IZAo6GQ
post #3 of 10 Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Ordered 4 speakers from htd today. 3.1 for the time being and will add the final 2 in a couple months. Can't wait to hear them.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2383 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Ordered 4 speakers from htd today. 3.1 for the time being and will add the final 2 in a couple months. Can't wait to hear them.

What did you buy Exactly?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Level two floor speakers and level two center and their level 3 sub.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Level two floor speakers and level two center and their level 3 sub.

That's what I have, the towers, center and bookshelves..... You should be pleased. If you are not, they pay you a full refund and shipping back... well I forgot they state they dont cover shipping back for towers, but I'm sure if you called them, they would...

Did you get the black or cherry?

I'm just curious, what made you decide to go with their sub?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

You can get away with surround speakers that don't have an exact timbre match - so temporarily using a pair of your old speakers as surrounds might be worth trying (esp. if you use the receiver's room correction).
post #8 of 10 Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

I got the black ones. I spoke to their customer service on Wednesday (Jonathan I believe) and after that I decided to take their sub as well. Also read quite a few reviews and they have a sale that started yesterday at 10% off your entire order.

Now I have a few days to rebuild the stand for the tv. I'm 3 inches short on the bottom and have to lift it for the center speaker. Unfortunately I can not mount it to the wall.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

You can get away with surround speakers that don't have an exact timbre match - so temporarily using a pair of your old speakers as surrounds might be worth trying (esp. if you use the receiver's room correction).

Starting from scratch here, don't have access any old speakers. This will give me a little bit of time to get the cables there. They will need to go under the house, sounds like another fun project.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got the black ones. I spoke to their customer service on Wednesday (Jonathan I believe) and after that I decided to take their sub as well. Also read quite a few reviews and they have a sale that started yesterday at 10% off your entire order.

Now I have a few days to rebuild the stand for the tv. I'm 3 inches short on the bottom and have to lift it for the center speaker. Unfortunately I can not mount it to the wall.

For the center if you have a LCD or Plasma you have this option... I have it works great...

http://www.amazon.com/CSB1206-Bracket-CSB-1206-Mounting-Speaker/dp/B0050AQ6M6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page