Boston Acoustics E60 and Ascent CBM-170 SE, which can be listened to quietly? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 162 Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I too jumped on the MB Quart deal. Got 2 pairs of VS05B (one in maple, one in elsberry) and the VS01C center (maple). I feel pretty much like all the other guys that bought them. I never heard speakers like these before. They reveal every little thing. They put the Focal Chorus V set that I had to shame (well, still have them but I am putting them on the market this week).
I need to spend more time with them but so far I can't believe that the 5 piece set only cost me $1,600. A lot of speaker for the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 162 Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Yes, I followed with interest the thread at the audio annex for a few days, before I made my mind.

post #153 of 162 Old 03-19-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I received my MB Quart-s. They are bigger than the E60 in every sense if the word. Taller, wider, heavier, and they sound bigger. I think they are in a higher class than the E60, although the E60 hold their ground pretty well. Compared to them, I find the Vera's sound to be more enveloping. They truly sound like you are listening to a live performance. My wife's comment when she listened to Barbra Streisand's performance of the 'Windmills of your mind' was 'Wow, I can really hear her voice now. You did good to buy those speakers.' I think they need a bit more power than the E60 to shine.
post #154 of 162 Old 03-19-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgatev View Post

I think they are in a higher class than the E60, although the E60 hold their ground pretty well. Compared to them, I find the Vera's sound to be more enveloping. They truly sound like you are listening to a live performance. My wife's comment when she listened to Barbra Streisand's performance of the 'Windmills of your mind' was 'Wow, I can really hear her voice now. You did good to buy those speakers.' I think they need a bit more power than the E60 to shine.

The E60 is not a wimp - and use to list for $1200 a pair

The Vera VS05B are in another league - yes, they like the power
and the woofer has a 3" voice coil.

Nice to know that your wife has good ears - continue to enjoy.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #155 of 162 Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I re-ran Audissey setup with the Vera's and the Aviano 7 sub, and it set the crossover at 120 Hz. I put it back at 80 Hz, but honestly, I cannot tell the difference between crossover at 120 and at 80.

Zieg, we have almost identical setups, what is your experience?

post #156 of 162 Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

it set the crossover at 120 Hz. I put it back at 80 Hz, but honestly, I cannot tell the difference between crossover at 120 and at 80.

Zieg, we have almost identical setups, what is your experience?

It seems Audyssey set your crossover, based on your room modes

I set mine at 80 hz - and I do not use Audyssey

Do or use, what is best suited for you - experiment with both settings,
or go with the Audyssey set-up.

post #157 of 162 Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Does the crossover knob on the sub have any effect, if the crossover and LPF for LFE are set by the receiver?

post #158 of 162 Old 03-26-2014, 01:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does the crossover knob on the sub have any effect, if the crossover and LPF for LFE are set by the receiver?

Turn the crossover knob on the sub all the way up - when using the settings in the receiver.

post #159 of 162 Old 03-26-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

I re-ran Audissey setup with the Vera's and the Aviano 7 sub, and it set the crossover at 120 Hz. I put it back at 80 Hz, but honestly, I cannot tell the difference between crossover at 120 and at 80.
In my room, Audyssey set the crossover at 40hz for all the 5 speakers. It seemed low to me and I raised it to 60. And I agree with you, I couldn't tell a difference with 80,100, or 120 when I experimented with the settings.
post #160 of 162 Old 03-26-2014, 03:25 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtlj View Post

I certainly will post my impressions...should arrive in 2-3wks

The MBQ's should arrive Friday, so I'll be using the TA2020 until then which should make for a good comparison.

I received the new Indeed amp last Saturday and have had a few days to try it out....here is my initial take.

Right out of the box, it was not very nice...the sound coming out of the speakers was fairly harsh and distorted at mid to high levels, not clean, clear and smooth like the TA2020. I definitely noticed more power and headroom, but it definitely wasn't as pleasant sounding.
Day one, if I rated the TA2020 amp a 9/10 in terms of sound quality, the new Indeed 7498E would be 6/10.

At this point I was a little disappointed and shot an email to Peter asking what was happening...

He responded by saying the amp needed time to burn in, around 200-300 hours, to sound its best. I've always been a bit skeptical hearing about amps and speakers that require burn in time and I wasn't even sure if that meant actually playing music through the amp or just having it powered on - but I'd be damned, if it wasn't even 48 hours later, the amp started sounding MUCH MUCH better and extremely close to what I hear through the 2020 T-amp. It continues to improve the more I play through it, so I'll have to report back....right now, it looks like it's going to be a keeper!
post #161 of 162 Old 03-26-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtlj View Post

I received the new Indeed amp last Saturday and have had a few days to try it out....here is my initial take.

Right out of the box, it was not very nice...the sound coming out of the speakers was fairly harsh and distorted at mid to high levels, not clean, clear and smooth like the TA2020. I definitely noticed more power and headroom, but it definitely wasn't as pleasant sounding.
Day one, if I rated the TA2020 amp a 9/10 in terms of sound quality, the new Indeed 7498E would be 6/10.

At this point I was a little disappointed and shot an email to Peter asking what was happening...

He responded by saying the amp needed time to burn in, around 200-300 hours, to sound its best. I've always been a bit skeptical hearing about amps and speakers that require burn in time and I wasn't even sure if that meant actually playing music through the amp or just having it powered on - but I'd be damned, if it wasn't even 48 hours later, the amp started sounding MUCH MUCH better and extremely close to what I hear through the 2020 T-amp. It continues to improve the more I play through it, so I'll have to report back....right now, it looks like it's going to be a keeper!

Sounds awesome. You need a speaker switch box so someone can blind test you on the differences once you've let it break in some more--see which you really like better smile.gif

post #162 of 162 Old 04-05-2014, 03:51 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Sounds awesome. You need a speaker switch box so someone can blind test you on the differences once you've let it break in some more--see which you really like better smile.gif

Well, I've had some more burn in time with the amp and I can say without question this thing is as good if not better in SQ than my Indeed TA2020. If you're on the fence, don't hesitate to purchase this amp - just remember to give it about a week's worth of play time before making judgement. Peter @ Indeed knows what he is doing. I'm listening to some FLAC through this amp with the VERA VS05's and I can't believe the sound I'm getting! According to Peter though, this amp will hit its best performance between 200-300 hrs use....I agree, it just keeps getting better and better!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cbm 170 Se , Boston Acoustics E60 High Performance Bookshelf Speaker , Yamaha Rx A700 7 1 Channel Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page