Three towers for left center and right + room asthetics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've decided to get a 3rd tower to match my ARX A5 left and rights. I wanted the front sound stage to be as seamless as possible.

My question to all of you who also have 3 towers is how did you make that wall look aesthetically pleasing. Having a tower under a wall mounted TV leaves no room for any kind of wide piece of furniture to hold all of the AV equipment. I was thinking of buying 2 matching pieces of furniture to put to put between each speaker. I would then split all of my electronics between the two. So essentially it would be:

LEFT SPEAKER + AV Cabinet + CENTER SPEAKER + AV Cabinet + RIGHT SPEAKER

I cannot for the life of me find ANY pictures on Google of a 3 tower setup. That's why I am turning to you guys so maybe you can show off how you did it and how it looks, or share some ideas? I want to achieve this without building a dedicated home theater wall with speakers behind a projector screen.

Feel free to post pictures guys! I LOVE PICTURES biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce View Post

I've decided to get a 3rd tower to match my ARX A5 left and rights. I wanted the front sound stage to be as seamless as possible.

My question to all of you who also have 3 towers is how did you make that wall look aesthetically pleasing. Having a tower under a wall mounted TV leaves no room for any kind of wide piece of furniture to hold all of the AV equipment. I was thinking of buying 2 matching pieces of furniture to put to put between each speaker. I would then split all of my electronics between the two. So essentially it would be:

I cannot for the life of me find ANY pictures on Google of a 3 tower setup. That's why I am turning to you guys so maybe you can show off how you did it and how it looks, or share some ideas? I want to achieve this without building a dedicated home theater wall with speakers behind a projector screen.

Feel free to post pictures guys! I LOVE PICTURES biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

To get your seemless front sound you have the right idea with two small AV cabinets. That will give a nice balanced look. It should be easy enough to imagine how that will look without pics and you can be the first to post that config.

BTW, an AT FP screen is the simply the best Theater experience but if you can't do that, yours seems like a good alternative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #3 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Well, the reason you don't see this configuration very often is simply that it trades one problem for another: the ideal height for the center of the screen is exactly the same as the ideal height for the tweeters. That's why most top-flight home theaters (and all commercial ones) use acoustically transparent projection screens with the center speaker behind it.

I like your solution, assuming you can find the right furniture, but it's hard to imagine the seating plan that won't have people either craning their necks or listening with their feet.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #4 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Well, the reason you don't see this configuration very often is simply that it trades one problem for another: the ideal height for the center of the screen is exactly the same as the ideal height for the tweeters.
That depends on your seating. In my recliner the perfect height for my screen center is just a bit over six feet.
kaiforce likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

If I were using a 65 inch tv (which I don't own.... yet wink.gif ) the center of the screen would be about ~ 58 inches (4 feet 10 inches) from the floor. This is a very comfortable height for me. I put up a large canvas painting at the same height the tv would be, and laid back in my desk chair, very comfortable height for sure. cool.gif
post #6 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

FINALLY found a picture of the idea that I had. This is a pic from Freerider2's home theater album. I think the symmetry looks great. I would probably make something a bit wider. I thought it was a good idea in my head... now I can finally picture it cool.gif

post #7 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I designed the initial sketches for my idea. Looks a lot better than I thought. cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

And yes, thats an SVS subwoofer biggrin.gif

post #8 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503

That's a nice sketch up.  Good work. When you get it all completed take some pics and let us see it. 

post #9 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I designed the initial sketches for my idea. Looks a lot better than I thought.

And yes, thats an SVS subwoofer biggrin.gif
Only one? eek.gif
As a rule of thumb total subwoofer power and cabinet size should be about twice that of the rest of the speakers combined. You'll probably want the rears further from the LP as well, probably spread as wide to the left and right as possible.

post #10 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Haha, yeah Bill, i'll probably end up buying a 2nd sub for the left corner as well sometime in the near future. A fully symmetrical setup would be great. Still thinking about locations/looks of acoustic paneling as well. I just threw those rear speaker stands in for the fun of it. My main focus for this thread was the front stage, I'll worry about the rears later.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42

Three front towers!
kaiforce likes this.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #12 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Caloyzki, you traded your fireplace for a home theater. You sir are a REAL AUDIO ENTHUSIAST biggrin.gif
post #13 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Caloyzki, you traded your fireplace for a home theater. You sir are a REAL AUDIO ENTHUSIAST biggrin.gif

That's not my ht set up lol. I just saw that on the energy thread and post pics here for you.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #14 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

That guy is clearly a bachelor.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

In a home theater, the room is dark.  You should not see much of anything except the screen.  The only exception is when you are entering or leaving the room, and that should be a relatively short amount of time.

Also, other than convenience for remote control use without extenders, there is no need to put the audio gear in the room up front.

I personally use identical bookshelf speakers for the front (and surround also), as I use a couple of subwoofers for the deep bass anyway.  But you have the right idea; the front three speakers should be identical, and those who go with something else are sacrificing sound for room aesthetics or some other consideration.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

In a home theater, the room is dark.  You should not see much of anything except the screen.  The only exception is when you are entering or leaving the room, and that should be a relatively short amount of time.

Also, other than convenience for remote control use without extenders, there is no need to put the audio gear in the room up front.

I personally use identical bookshelf speakers for the front (and surround also), as I use a couple of subwoofers for the deep bass anyway.  But you have the right idea; the front three speakers should be identical, and those who go with something else are sacrificing sound for room aesthetics or some other consideration.

It wasn't my intention to "show off" the hardware between the speakers, mind you. Chances are I would get some kind of dark cherry wood cabinets with dark glass in front. The AV rack in my sketches were just a place holder. I just began using this "sketchup" program today, and I designed that whole room in about 30 minutes. Once I learn more, i'll try to make it more aesthetically pleasing and use better furniture and paint the walls differently and add paintings. I think its a lot of fun designing it on the computer because you can get such an accurate feel of how its going to turn out. Yeah, like I said, I'm not making a dedicated home theater, I'm just setting up a speaker layout for a room, a layout I can take with me anywhere I decide to live. Afterall, im stuck with 3 towers I absolutely love, gotta design everything around them riiiiiiiiiiight biggrin.gif
post #17 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha, yeah Bill, i'll probably end up buying a 2nd sub for the left corner as well sometime in the near future. A fully symmetrical setup would be great.
-1. Symmetry is the number one enemy of good bass. With only two subs you'll usually get the best result with one in the front, one in the back, but every room is unique.

post #18 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

-1. Symmetry is the number one enemy of good bass. With only two subs you'll usually get the best result with one in the front, one in the back, but every room is unique.

Guess I'll figure that out when the time comes wink.gif
post #19 of 20 Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kaiforce,

How's your set up so far ? I really like the sketches of your setup.
This is my first time login in few years... I will post some updates photos soon.
Still loves the ideas of three towers left, center, right.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider2 View Post

Kaiforce,

How's your set up so far ? I really like the sketches of your setup.
This is my first time login in few years... I will post some updates photos soon.
Still loves the ideas of three towers left, center, right.

I've since bought an 18 inch subwoofer but I'll have to wait until august to play with all these toys together as I am abroad right now. Should be fun though. I noticed when having that tower as a center I had such a wider sound stage when it came to dialogue in movies. I can't wait to try 5 channel stereo. Looking forward to your pictures. cool.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page