How Do JBL Studio 590's Stack Up To The Competition? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if anyone has listened to these speakers, and what their impression of them was? I'm in the hunt for a dynamic sounding speaker that sounds great at loud volumes without sounding too harsh. Right now I'm using some older Paradigm Monitor 9's (V3). I love the way they sound at moderate levels, but would prefer something that can play a little louder without losing their composure. My budget is about $2500, new or used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-30-2014, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 435
At $2.5k, for big dynamics I would be looking at a pair of Pi Threes with upgraded drivers. I think the JBL's would be good, but they won't have anything like the dynamic range of the Pis. Also the Pis have an excellent frequency response both on and off axis. The JBL's will probably have a bit better bass extension than the Pi's, I think it might be tuned a bit lower. With a good subwoofer though, you would have big dynamic range at frequency depths below human hearing. However there is a good sale on the Studio 590s at the moment at JBL's website.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you heard both speakers? A couple others that I was curious about are Klipsch RF-7, used Paradigm Studio 100, or something from JTR...I admit to not knowing much about JTR for home applications though.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
JTR will be out of your budget, but those are high output theater speakers, much like the Pi Speakers Shadyj recommended. From what you describe, I think Pi is probably the way to go. Klipsch is another option but they exaggerate their sensitivities. With a horn-loaded speaker, you need a woofer that can also keep up and this is why all of these theater speakers generally feature bigger woofers.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #5 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I had the 590's at home for about 3 weeks. They are indeed very dynamic. Sounded huge. Imaging was sort of horseshoe shaped. My main issue with them was balance. Brightly recorded guitars, horns, etc could drive you out of the room. They were never harsh though. Ever. They went all the way down to 25Hz in my room but all frequencies below the horn crossover (1.5KHz) were subdued. They didn't have the impact or weight I expected from a speaker that big (they are BIG). Kick drums had no impact. You would think with two 8" woofers they would have plenty of weight but the second woofer is just to help with low end extension. So for everything above 60 Hz or so its just a 2-way with a huge, dynamic horn and one 8" woofer. Could have been my room, but I did experiment a lot. I really wanted to like them. I have read that other people had too much bass in there room. I wish they had a tweeter attenuation control. I think a couple of DB off the horn would have helped.

Greg
post #6 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist View Post

I had the 590's at home for about 3 weeks. They are indeed very dynamic. Sounded huge. Imaging was sort of horseshoe shaped. My main issue with them was balance. Brightly recorded guitars, horns, etc could drive you out of the room. They were never harsh though. Ever. They went all the way down to 25Hz in my room but all frequencies below the horn crossover (1.5KHz) were subdued. They didn't have the impact or weight I expected from a speaker that big (they are BIG). Kick drums had no impact. You would think with two 8" woofers they would have plenty of weight but the second woofer is just to help with low end extension. So for everything above 60 Hz or so its just a 2-way with a huge, dynamic horn and one 8" woofer. Could have been my room, but I did experiment a lot. I really wanted to like them. I have read that other people had too much bass in there room. I wish they had a tweeter attenuation control. I think a couple of DB off the horn would have helped.

I am guessing you weren't using Audyssey or other room correction?

Just another blank signature.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I am guessing you weren't using Audyssey or other room correction?

I did briefly and that did help with the balance. But these were for my 2-channel, mainly analog setup that uses an analog preamp (Manley Jumbo Shrimp). Correcting for the room is one thing but it seemed like I was correcting the speakers in this case.

Greg
post #8 of 9 Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies everyone. I am somewhat intrigued with the Pi 3's, but going that route does evoke some trepidation.
Has anyone heard these speakers with the upgraded options.
It's hard to find any concrete reviews of these things. I'm not opposed to horns, but if the crossovers are not done right, they can get harsh sounding.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Hi syd7890, not sure where you are with this decision yet, but just found this thread and thought I really better jump in here and put a few things straight for the sake of mankind.

I own a pair of JBL 590's ... and the statement above about kicks having no impact could not be further from the truth - I would say the room and positioning would most likely have been upsetting things here. The 590's have SO much KICK I almost laugh and get all emotional everytime. Give them a bit of juice and my chest is being slammed and am thankful my torso has the strength to keep me from ending flat on my back. I know I'm going to be bias, but these are seriously fun speakers all the way down to 27Hz (in my measurements) ...I have dual subs, but they're just there to get down to 20Hz and smooth the low freqs out in my room. Turning the subs off makes zero difference to the massive bass these put out .... They are very accurate and super sweet all the way up, never harsh or fatiguing.

I have auditioned a bunch of speakers, and my job exposes my to a lot of very nice sound systems ...I choose the JBLs for a very good and educated reason. I really hope you get to check these out, they wont disappoint. :-)

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page