Looking for advice on new speakers under 600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-30-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Guys,

Now that I have my receiver all setup(Denon X1000), I want to upgrade my speakers.  The ones I currently have came from a HTiB and were absolutely free to me(cough bose cough). 

The room these will be going in is 14 x 22, with a hallway exiting one side and two other doorways.  TV and entertainment center are setup against one of the long walls with the couch and chairs across from it on the other long wall.

I mostly watch tv/movies and play video games, with maybe 10-15% listening to music.  I'd like to keep the budget under 600, but if there's something just out of reach(up to 700ish) I'd consider that too.  Or any good deals/low prices are always welcome.  I'm also ok with watching prices and waiting for a sale.  I'm open to either a pre-matched system or buying speakers separately.

Originally I had planned on getting the Energy Take Classics, and was waiting for a price drop.  Then I came across the Pioneer SP-PK52FS while reading the holiday guide on here.  Not much more than the Energys and seemed to be well regarded.  Right now I'm thinking about getting all the Pioneer components but the sub and looking for something better than the Pioneer one.  One concern I had with the Pioneers was the sensitivity vs the Energys as I do like to listen to movies fairly loud(0 on up).  Am I on the right track?  Or should I be considering other brands/systems?

You guys really have a great forum here I've already learned a ton from reading older posts.  Things already sound much better with the X1000 and a "proper" Audyssey configuration.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Save your money and get the Kef 3005se surround system (about a grand if you look around online). I have had mine for 7 years and they still are amazing. They SMOKE ANY Bose system (that is what I had before). These Kefs are audiophile level speakers and are well worth the extra money.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Liked: 29
Two pairs of HTD Level 2 bookshelves. The matching center. BIC F12 sub. One option

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
post #4 of 16 Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
post #5 of 16 Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapRowsdower78 View Post

Originally I had planned on getting the Energy Take Classics, and was waiting for a price drop.  Then I came across the Pioneer SP-PK52FS while reading the holiday guide on here.  Not much more than the Energys and seemed to be well regarded.  Right now I'm thinking about getting all the Pioneer components but the sub and looking for something better than the Pioneer one.  One concern I had with the Pioneers was the sensitivity vs the Energys as I do like to listen to movies fairly loud(0 on up).  Am I on the right track?  Or should I be considering other brands/systems?

I would think about looking at other brands - and do drop the Energy Takes, from your real loud desire/list

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 16 Old 01-30-2014, 03:27 PM

Liked: 11

I purchased the Energy Take Classics (W/O sub) about 6 months ago, ceiling mounted them in my 12'x16' theater room and absolutely love 'em. They're well constructed and have a nice glossy black finish. You really see Klipsch Quality and performance shine through these speakers. I'm powering them by a 100w Yamaha Receiver (5.1) and its more than enough fill the room with crisp/ clear sound. I purchased them and the receiver on Amazon with Prime shipping for $370.00. I highly recommend them. 

post #7 of 16 Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhusk503 View Post

I purchased the Energy Take Classics (W/O sub) about 6 months ago, ceiling mounted them in my 12'x16' theater room and absolutely love 'em. They're well constructed and have a nice glossy black finish. You really see Klipsch Quality and performance shine through these speakers. I'm powering them by a 100w Yamaha Receiver (5.1) and its more than enough fill the room with crisp/ clear sound. I purchased them and the receiver on Amazon with Prime shipping for $370.00. I highly recommend them. 

So the speakers mounted at ceiling height how is that working out for you?
post #8 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
post #9 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Was stuck in a boring meeting so I started poking around at crutchfield as well, and they have a free subwoofer deal for polk right now, here's what I could get over there for just under 700:

Two of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI300B/Polk-Audio-TSi300-Black.html?showAll=N&search=tsi300&skipvs=T

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CS10B/Polk-Audio-TSi-CS10-Black.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI100B/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Black.html

That comes to 620, then I can add a free or discounted subwoofer:

PSW125 for 50 bucks

DSW Pro 440wi for 130 bucks

DSW Pro 550wi for 240

DSW Pro 660wi for 350

So if I went with the PSW125 I'd come in at about 670 shipped, no tax.  How does that stack up against the other options?  The center is on backorder unfortunately, but I could wait if it's a good deal.

post #10 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
I would walk away from the PSW125 subwoofer

Polk speakers would be your call

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #11 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 10:13 AM

Liked: 11

They work really well for my set up, I do have 7' ceilings which I assume are lower than yours, so your outcome might be a bit different. But price and price point and quality really won me over with these speakers. Paired with a nice Sub and you good to go. 

post #12 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 AM

Liked: 29
If you're on a very tight budget the satellite systems like the Energy Take are much better than your tv speakers. Hands down. The problem is that they only go down to 115hz when you really want a speaker that will go to 80 or below. Even with a good sub that is a lot of sound you're not getting from the main speakers. They will please a lot of poeple though and that's what matters. Just that if your budget allows, bigger IS better.

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
post #13 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
If the ceilings in your room are only 8' high then the total volume of space is approximately 2500 ft^3. For someone whose primary goal is TV/movies/games that's a pretty decent sized area to fill for $600, so perhaps a 3.1 system is something to consider instead. When funds permit you could then extend that to 5.1 with the purchase of a pair of bookshelf speakers.

If you opt to go that route a system which might work is a pair of BIC FH-6T towers, the FH6-LCR matching center and a Dayton Audio SUB-1500. That setup would run about $650, and is more than capable of filling your room.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #14 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

If the ceilings in your room are only 8' high then the total volume of space is approximately 2500 ft^3. For someone whose primary goal is TV/movies/games that's a pretty decent sized area to fill for $600, so perhaps a 3.1 system is something to consider instead. When funds permit you could then extend that to 5.1 with the purchase of a pair of bookshelf speakers.

If you opt to go that route a system which might work is a pair of BIC FH-6T towers, the FH6-LCR matching center and a Dayton Audio SUB-1500. That setup would run about $650, and is more than capable of filling your room.

Hi Jim, my bad they are 8 foot ceilings, thanks for clarifying.

So I took a look at the Formula line and those aren't that far out of budget for me.  I couldn't find as much info or as many reviews on that series. 

Are the Formulas better than the Venturis for music/movies/games?  Have others looked at both these series and gone with the formulas?

I could definitely swing the 3.1 for now and I can scrounge the extra 200 for the FH-65Bs in the next couple months.  Are the dayton subs nicer than the F12? 

Thanks again guys!

post #15 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I can't comment directly on the F12, because I've never heard one, but most people appear to believe it's a good value for HT. Music, not so much.

Most inexpensive speakers and subwoofers don't get a lot of attention -- precisely why I got into doing reviews in the first place -- so I'm not surprised you can't find much. The majority of BIC products are considered to be value oriented though, so you probably will get a lot for your money.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #16 of 16 Old 04-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Hi ZapRowsdower78,
What did you end up doing? I went through pretty much a similar process and ended up ordering the FH-6T (towers), FH-6LCR (center), and DV-32 (surround) - a choice based on reading various posts here, space limitation, and of course $.
Haven't received the speakers yet. Curious to know what you did and what's your experience.

Hari
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - X1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page