Help!...Putting together first HT system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, I have spent over a month now researching AVRs and speakers for my first HT system. In fact, I have never owned a receiver or speakers. I have a family of five and we love watching movies together, and my kids are now getting into music, so I am looking for a setup that will allow for both. I would like a 5.1 setup in the family room and a second zone for our screened in porch (for music only). Trying to stay <700.00 for an AVR, I think I have narrowed my choices to two AVRs that have powered Zone 2...the Yamaha RX-V675 or the Denon AVR-X 2000...unless there are other suggestions? I am not loyal to any brand, as this will be my first system. I will say that I have a Pioneer DVD player that continues to work perfectly despite being 16 yrs old.
Now, for the more difficult decision...speakers. My room is technically 20x16 ft but is open to the kitchen, so structurally it's bigger. The ceiling is vaulted, with heights from 12-18 ft.
My wife does not want big, floor standing speakers, so this has led me to looking at compact 5.1 systems such as the Definitive Tech ProCinema 600/800, or the Klipsch Quintet series. This is where I need help...I am certainly not an audio expert, but this is likely a purchase I wont make again for a long time. Are these "put together systems" too meek for my room, could I do better by putting together my own setup with more powerful speakers (bookshelf)? This site is vastly informative, and I've seen an affinity for other brands such as Infinity Primus series and Ascend Acoustics 170/340 bookshelf. I appreciate quality but am ignorant to the whole audio world. My budget for the 5.1 speaker system is roughly 1,200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 AM

Liked: 29
The Denon X2000 or E400 would be great. Can get them refurbished from Accessories4less.com. Good way to save money. I don't have experience with the other brands.

Go for a pieced together bookshelf system instead of a package. A few options in speakers. There are a lot more.

Ascend Thanksgiving sale package
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=BASK&Store_Code=AD&Action=ADPR&Product_Code=S23-1000&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

HTD Level 2 bookshelves and center
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

Subwoofers you could look into the BIC F12 or PL200. Dayton Sub1200. And many others.

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
post #3 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks for your help.  Ascend Acoustics seem popular on this site, I have just been worried about trying to piece together a system on my own.  I have never purchased a refurbished product but I have seen that mentioned often on this site...I will look into it but I admit that makes me a bit nervous.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I would recommend spending less on the receiver, and more on your speakers and sub. The Denon AVR-1913 is a good 7.1 receiver with support for zone 2, and you can get it refurbished from the aforementioned site for $299.99. (Edit: The 1913 is sold out right now, you could go with the 2113 instead, and it's not much more.)

Take the extra $350 and add it to the speaker budget, let's call it a conservative $1500 so you have extra for cables and speaker wire, or any stands you may need.

I would start off and go with a SVS PB-2000 sub, this will get you 17Hz extension which is important to get the full effect of movies, and have plenty of output to fill your larger space. Most budget subs will barely get you to 25Hz, so this is a big step up. With $700 left, you have a lot of options. I would take a look at Cambridge Audio, they are on closeout right now and you can get them new from www.accessories4less.com. I know the wife didn't like big floorstanders, but their S70 towers are fairly compact, and will have the same footprint as a bookshelf with a stand. Plus given the sale, by the time you add stands to the cost of the bookshelves, you could just go with the towers. The S30s would still work well as fronts if the towers are a no go. Match that with the S50 center, and a pair of S30s for surrounds, and you will have a very nice system. Use www.monoprice.com for your speaker wire and cables.

Links for your reference:

S70: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS70OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S70-5-3-way-Floorstanding-Speakers-Each-Dark-Oak/1.html
S50: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS50OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S50-4-3-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-Dark-Oak/1.html
S30: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS30OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S30-4-2-way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Dark-Oak/1.html

PB-2000: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-2000

AVR-2113: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR2113CI/DENON-AVR-2113CI-7.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-Ready/1.html

Total comes to $1800 leaving you $100 for misc.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM

I just bought a Denon E300 from them and it seems great. They do come with a one year warranty. Also bought a used set of Ascends and I personally loved the sound. This was all for my parents in their basement. Got them a used BIC F12 that I'm going to hook up next week and check out.

Don't be afraid to piece together. It's the only way to get the best bang for your buck. Also be sure to read around about the many other brands. I posted what I'm personally interested in but there are so many others that people love and will recommend.

If you need cable, wires, connectors and such look at monoprice.com

Another sub may be the PA-150 from sound distributors. Can probably get it around $300-350 if you make them an offer and believe it has a lot of output.

Chicago
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply...it makes total sense to spend less on the receiver...i am learning that the money should go towards the speakers.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 AM

For the receiver, speakers, and sub is the total budget less than $1,900 or $1,200? I may have understood wrong and stayed conservative. If $1,900 then you could look at better sub and speakers for sure.
Ascend, HTD, and Cambridge should still be on the short list. Maybe the Ascend 340's if you can fit them and the HTD Level 3 instead of 2.
Subs look at SVS, Rythmik, HSU

Chicago
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by auceny View Post

For the receiver, speakers, and sub is the total budget less than $1,900 or $1,200? I may have understood wrong and stayed conservative. If $1,900 then you could look at better sub and speakers for sure.
Ascend, HTD, and Cambridge should still be on the short list. Maybe the Ascend 340's if you can fit them and the HTD Level 3 instead of 2.
Subs look at SVS, Rythmik, HSU
Total budget AVR and speakers around 1800, that gives me me money for connection supplies to keep total project at or < 2,000. Thanks
Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Denon Avr E400
Gear in this thread - E400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page