center channel NEEDED with ceiling speakers?..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

i have a general speaker question, don't need any specific speaker manufacturer recommendations

assuming a ceiling speaker setup is used in a medium sized room (9 ft ceilings) with 4 mid priced ceiling speakers and a subwoofer, does this setup NEED a center channel for better clarity of dialogue, assuming the setup will be used mainly for tv/movie viewing?

does anyone have any experience with a ceiling setup and the before/after of adding a centre channel?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a similar setup and would say absolutely a center makes the best of a suboptimal situation as long as its directly under or on top of the TV.
Otherwise the ceiling speakers give a hollow sound that doesn't sync with the display.
Cheers, Mac
post #3 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2014 View Post

i have a general speaker question, don't need any specific speaker manufacturer recommendations

assuming a ceiling speaker setup is used in a medium sized room (9 ft ceilings) with 4 mid priced ceiling speakers and a subwoofer, does this setup NEED a center channel for better clarity of dialogue, assuming the setup will be used mainly for tv/movie viewing?

does anyone have any experience with a ceiling setup and the before/after of adding a centre channel?

thanks
Think of in-ceiling speakers as "spotlights" that shine a cone of light down from the ceiling. If you're sitting underneath the light, you get a nice bright cone of light. As you move away from the cone, the brightness decreases quickly. Speakers work the same way, especially at higher frequencies, (treble.) As you move out from under the cone of sound, the level, and more importantly, the clarity drops off quickly. If your speakers are in the front of the room, and your seating is across the room, you'll be seated well outside the optimal "cone" of dispersion for in-ceiling speakers. This is true whether you're using 3 front speakers, (L, C & R), or just two speakers, (L & R.)

Bottom line, the compromises inherent in an in-ceiling speaker setup are so significant that the additional compromise of not having a CC... pales to insignificance.

IMO. YMMV. Etc.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #4 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

thx... this is exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for

post #5 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2014 View Post

I would rather semi-suffer with a soundbar

Watching a movie with voices and sounds coming from above, annoys/distracts me.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macddmac View Post

I have a similar setup and would say absolutely a center makes the best of a suboptimal situation as long as its directly under or on top of the TV.
Otherwise the ceiling speakers give a hollow sound that doesn't sync with the display.
Cheers, Mac

thx for the post.... this is what i was afraid of and i would hate to get the system done and feel it was out of sync

post #7 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Think of in-ceiling speakers as "spotlights" that shine a cone of light down from the ceiling. If you're sitting underneath the light, you get a nice bright cone of light. As you move away from the cone, the brightness decreases quickly. Speakers work the same way, especially at higher frequencies, (treble.) As you move out from under the cone of sound, the level, and more importantly, the clarity drops off quickly. If your speakers are in the front of the room, and your seating is across the room, you'll be seated well outside the optimal "cone" of dispersion for in-ceiling speakers. This is true whether you're using 3 front speakers, (L, C & R), or just two speakers, (L & R.)

Bottom line, the compromises inherent in an in-ceiling speaker setup are so significant that the additional compromise of not having a CC... pales to insignificance.

IMO. YMMV. Etc.

Craig

well said.... thx

post #8 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I would rather semi-suffer with a soundbar

Watching a movie with voices and sounds coming from above, annoys/distracts me.

thx... that is basically what i have decided too, i know deep down inside that the ceiling front speakers will bother me

my installer had planned of doing 4 in ceiling with a sub but i am gonna go with a really nice sound bar (millennia trio) with the sub (bw pv1d) and keep 2 of the rear ceiling speakers for surround... this is gonna make the best of a bad situation

post #9 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A sound bar can work quite well in some situations. Check out the Legacy Audio soundbars, which are very serious speakers. Also, Current Audio makes some in ceiling speakers (the FIT series) that have the ability to be angled toward the listening position. Not just the tweeter, but the whole speaker angles up inside the ceiling. In ceiling speakers are obviously not optimal, but current's solution seems like it would be better than most.

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

A sound bar can work quite well in some situations. Check out the Legacy Audio soundbars, which are very serious speakers. Also, Current Audio makes some in ceiling speakers (the FIT series) that have the ability to be angled toward the listening position. Not just the tweeter, but the whole speaker angles up inside the ceiling. In ceiling speakers are obviously not optimal, but current's solution seems like it would be better than most.

thx

i will take a look at those

i agree ceilings are not optimal but i am trying to make the best of them

Reply Speakers