Speaker suggestions for home theater system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have little knowledge of speakers and would kindly appreciate some advise on speakers for my new house. I recently got a Yamaha RX-V773 and realized my old Klipsch HD 500 speaker system is too weak for my larger living room 25'x20'. I would like to get floorstanding speakers and center with $500 budget. We use the home theater system for movies and music. The back surround speakers are installed in the ceiling, which I believe are B&W CWM 200. My questions are

1. Which front speakers should I get?
A. pair of Polk rti8 (2 x $150 = $300)
B. pair of Infinity Primus 363 (2 x $107 = $214)
C. pair of JBL ES80 (2 x $144 = $288)

2. Any recommendation on a good center for my setup?

3. Can I use my current subwoofer from the Klipsch HD 500 system (labeled as Klipsch sub 8)? Keep in mind I do not plan to make my room shake since I have a 3 year old who is a light sleeper.

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 AM

Liked: 18
I like the sound of Energy speakers. Best Buy has their CF70s and CF50s on clearance. Unfortunately above your $500 range. If you are set on floorstanders then maybe buy used. I've seen some nice sets in your range that may provide better quality. If you are not set on floorstanders and you aren't a "room shake" type of person then maybe consider some bookshelves if you have a place to put them. See if those and your sub provide good enough quality. Might save you a few bucks. And, if not already mentioned, match the fronts and centers.

I know that doesn't answer the direct question but maybe some ideas.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobee10 View Post

I have little knowledge of speakers and would kindly appreciate some advise on speakers for my new house. I recently got a Yamaha RX-V773 and realized my old Klipsch HD 500 speaker system is too weak for my larger living room 25'x20'. I would like to get floorstanding speakers and center with $500 budget. We use the home theater system for movies and music. The back surround speakers are installed in the ceiling, which I believe are B&W CWM 200. My questions are

1. Which front speakers should I get?
A. pair of Polk rti8 (2 x $150 = $300)
B. pair of Infinity Primus 363 (2 x $107 = $214)
C. pair of JBL ES80 (2 x $144 = $288)

2. Any recommendation on a good center for my setup?

3. Can I use my current subwoofer from the Klipsch HD 500 system (labeled as Klipsch sub 8)? Keep in mind I do not plan to make my room shake since I have a 3 year old who is a light sleeper.

Thank you for your help.

I would get a better sub evntho you state you dont want to shake the room, and if you have a good sub you do not need towers.

As for a center get a center that matches your L/R from the same brand...
post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes182 View Post

I like the sound of Energy speakers. Best Buy has their CF70s and CF50s on clearance. Unfortunately above your $500 range. If you are set on floorstanders then maybe buy used. I've seen some nice sets in your range that may provide better quality. If you are not set on floorstanders and you aren't a "room shake" type of person then maybe consider some bookshelves if you have a place to put them. See if those and your sub provide good enough quality. Might save you a few bucks. And, if not already mentioned, match the fronts and centers.

I know that doesn't answer the direct question but maybe some ideas.

I had the CF-70's and sold them within a month because they were too bright for me. Just goes to show how subjective speakers are...
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the comments. there is no room for book shelf speakers in my entertainment center. I went to Frys to take a listen to the speakers. The speakers I had listed above sound kinda muddled. The salesman there talked me into getting a pair klipsch RF42 II tower for $480 (amazon has it for $300 each). He told me I can use the current sub and center from my old klipsch HD 500 system, saying this setup would be better than the Jbl es80, primus 363, or Polk rti8 with a new center. Do you agree or did the salesman got me?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

.. that HD 500 center is just not going to cut it. The center is the most important speaker for HT. Never listen to the floor associates, ever...

you stated that the HD 500 was too weak for your new room, it applies more than ever to that center..

You really need this center

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RC-42-II-Center-Speaker/dp/B0040QMTK4/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Hd 500 Compact 5 1 Home Theater System Set Of Six Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Jbl Es80bk 3 Way Dual 6 1 2 Floorstanding Speaker Black , Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver , Infinity Primus P363 Three Way Dual Infinity Floor Standing Speaker
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page