Need your advice on speakers, placement, and how it looks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello community! Some of you helped me out a lot with my last post, and I appreciate it. I have decided to upgrade my left, right, and center speakers for the time being. I have a couple of questions you may be able to help me with.

1. I have used these small Velodyne bookshelfs for many years. If I move up to floorstanding speakers, I should be able to tell a difference, right? I have the receiver to push floorstanding speakers quite nice. Any thoughts on sound improvement? Bigger soundstage?

I am on a budget. I don't need the expensive stuff to be happy. I am currently looking at this Polk and this Pioneer as options, and would get the center to match them. I hear great things about both of them, for the price point.

2. Take a look at my setup. I have room on the left and the right for floorstanding speakers, but please tell me.....would it look like crap and out of place in general? The one on the right will hide in the corner next to the sub while the one on the left would just be hanging out (not as bad for the Pioneer though). Also, the Polk (43 inches tall and 15 inches deep) models would come just under the 3rd shelf and the Pioneers (35 inches tall and 10 inches deep) would come to about a 1/3 of the way up from the 2nd shelf. I think the Pioneers are a better size, and perhaps both will provide similar sound?

Any thoughts on this from an aesthetic standpoint? Btw, I don't have a WAF to deal with haha....it is just me.

Any thoughts would be great and any other suggestions I have not mentioned are absolutely welcomed. Feel free to call me out if my logic on considering floors over bookshelfs is wrong. Thank you all!

Jared

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone haha? Sorry, just trying to at least get a couple points of view is all.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I think you'll find that you'll hear a large improvement. The speakers will probably be better, but the setup will definitely be better.

Just by getting the speakers out of the bookshelf, as you will be forced to do with floorstanders, you are making a good move.

I can't speak much to the aesthetic sensibility of it. It probably will not be as attractive, but it doesn't strike me as objectionable.
JaredSD likes this.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #4 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Do you think it is okay to put the speaker in that corner with sub right next to it? The sub would be right next to entertainment area and the speaker would be against the wall. It would be a tight fit, but both would fit and would be postioned straight facing; I could toe in the speaker a little actually. It is the only way it would work....unless I decide to move the sub to the back of the room sometime. I heard it is better to have it up front though.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 37
my first though is the one on the right, speakers do not like being placed in a corner.
my second thought is the pioneers are rear ported so they will need some room behind for proper air movement
post #6 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD View Post

Thanks for the reply! Do you think it is okay to put the speaker in that corner with sub right next to it? The sub would be right next to entertainment area and the speaker would be against the wall. It would be a tight fit, but both would fit and would be postioned straight facing; I could toe in the speaker a little actually. It is the only way it would work....unless I decide to move the sub to the back of the room sometime. I heard it is better to have it up front though.

That's pretty much how I have mine, speaker (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117403) in the corner towed in next to forward-facing sub.

Works fine, and I have REW graphs to prove it. ;) 

Had it like this, but switched the sub and speaker because the port was firing into a floor vent! :eek:

http://cdn.avsforum.com/e/e3/e325dc78_020913lighter.jpeg

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #7 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

That is great, thanks for sharing. Your situation is just like mine. I would actually have about 5 inches behind the speaker for the ports, and those shelves are open so it is not like it is against a flat wall. Perhaps that will help things as well?
post #8 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

No, it's just that the stuff on the shelf will be pushed forward. :D

There are those who prefer the second generation Pioneers, but I'm very happy with the ones I have. You can get either center, price and size can determine your preference.

Michael

post #9 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:

That arrangement would work. It does place the right speaker closer to the boundaries than is preferable.
Quote:

That is great, thanks for sharing. Your situation is just like mine. I would actually have about 5 inches behind the speaker for the ports, and those shelves are open so it is not like it is against a flat wall. Perhaps that will help things as well?

I think the consideration of port location is overblown here on AVS. One gets boundary gain when the source is less than 1/4 wavelength from the boundary. It doesn't matter if the OP uses front or rear ported, the frequencies the ports cover will be well within that zone either way.
JaredSD likes this.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
post #10 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect, thank you all. One more thing I wanted to clear up....there is a center channel that is offered in this series. However, I am not sure it is better than the one I have? Could be an even trade. I also understand the importance of keep some parts of the set the same perhaps. Could I get any center channel to go with these speakes or do I need to follow matching rules? I want a good center channel for sure. If you have any ideas other than what is listed here then please advise for sure.

What I have:

Velodyne Two 4 1/2" Woofers in CT-42 Center Channel Speaker

What is offered in the Pioneer line:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-LR-Designed-standing-Loudspeaker/dp/B008NCD2S4 (click on center channel)

Also, these speakers are 6 ohms. My receiver says something about 8 ohms. Not sure if that matters or not?
post #11 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Perfect, thank you all. One more thing I wanted to clear up....there is a center channel that is offered in this series. However, I am not sure it is better than the one I have? Could be an even trade. I also understand the importance of keep some parts of the set the same perhaps. Could I get any center channel to go with these speakes or do I need to follow matching rules? I want a good center channel for sure. If you have any ideas other than what is listed here then please advise for sure.

What I have:

Velodyne Two 4 1/2" Woofers in CT-42 Center Channel Speaker

What is offered in the Pioneer line:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-LR-Designed-standing-Loudspeaker/dp/B008NCD2S4 (click on center channel)

Also, these speakers are 6 ohms. My receiver says something about 8 ohms. Not sure if that matters or not?

your center indeed should match your L/R.....
JaredSD likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

your center indeed should match your L/R.....

That is what I thought. Well, do you think this one is adequate? I am sure it is about the same as what I have now, but at least it would match. Damn, I wanted something huge haha.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Which is what I said. Either generation of the Pioneers will be fine with either generation of towers.

And no, you DON'T want a huge center channel.

(You want a HUGE subwoofer, but that's another topic altogether.)

Also on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117404

I got my first generation when the second was released; paid even less than these prices (from NEgg).

post #14 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 05:13 PM

I've seen that pioneer center, and it may be bigger than you're anticipating. It has relatively small drivers, but the enclosure is pretty large.
JaredSD likes this.

post #15 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, then I feel good with this set. Thank you so much for the time to respond to this. I appreciate it.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Which is what I said. Either generation of the Pioneers will be fine with either generation of towers.

Also on sale:

I got my first generation when the second was released; paid even less than these prices (from NEgg).

I sent you a PM with a couple of questions. Thanks!
post #17 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Also on sale:

You would want the same generation center speaker to match as they are quite different in their sound characteristics.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

You would want the same generation center speaker to match as they are quite different in their sound characteristics.

Goctha, thanks. I did have a question I PM'ed you about...please.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page