Energy RC-Micro or Pioneer SP-BS21-LR for music listening - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What should I do for music listening?
Stick with the Energy RC-Micro setup for now 1 33.33%
Immediately buy the pair of Pioneer SP-BS21-LR speakers 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have only briefly tested my Energy RC-Micro 5.1 speakers. My receiver was faulty and had to be returned. I'll be getting my new receiver (Marantz NR1604) soon. This receiver allows one to have two sets of front speakers connected. That way one can choose potentially between a 5.1 setup (the rc-micros) and a separate pair of bookshelf speakers.

In my brief time testing the speakers, I loved them when watching TV/movies, but I was a bit concerned about their thinness when listing to music and the radio. I have a feeling that I may have set-up the crossover wrong when I briefly tested the RC-Micro set, and the speakers aren't even broken in... so my judgement about their thinness is likely quite flawed.

But if I'm not wrong, it ocurred to me that I should perhaps take advantage of the capability to add a separate set of speakers exclusively for music... Which brings me to the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR speakers (currently $69 for the pair).

They get rave reviews... but so does the RC-Micro set (even for music).

I live in Canada and will need to go to the States to pick up my new receiver. If I want the Pioneer speakers it's either now or not for a very long time. They are far too expensive in Canada.

Money is very tight, so I shouldn;t even be considering buying more.... But, I was wondering what the forum feels I should do.

Will the RC-Micro speakers be adequate, or should I take advantage of going to the States and pick up the Pioneers?

(In your response, please don't reccomend other more expensive speakers)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-04-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258

Judging by the specifications, your crossover setting for your Energy speakers should be set above 150 Hz.  I personally do not recommend having such tiny speakers that require such a high crossover, and would much rather have something that can use a crossover below 100 Hz.  The reason is that humans cannot tell the direction of deep bass from sound alone, but humans can tell for higher frequencies from which direction they are coming.  (Those facts explain both why surround sound is a good idea, and why it is possible to use a subwoofer, instead of having all full-range speakers for it, while still having good sound.)  Thus, you may well hear where your subwoofer is with your Energy speakers if you have set the crossover properly for them.  If you set it improperly, then you will have a serious dip in your frequency response and will not be getting the sound between your crossover point and 150 Hz as well as you should.

The Pioneer speakers are rated such that they would probably be much better in that regard.  However, that says nothing about the other aspects of the sound, and since I have not personally heard either speaker in question, I cannot tell you whether they are, overall, better or not.  Judging from the reviews, I would guess the Pioneer speakers to be better, and so if you can return the Energy speakers and go with a Pioneer system, that might be a good idea.  Of course, I do not know how much you would get back on your Energy speakers, even if you can return them, so I do not know if that is feasible or not for you to do.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Jack The Ripper. I have no plans on returning the Energy system. I love their sound for movies and TV... and their size/aesthetics are phenomenal for my tiny apartment. I'm only concerned in this thread with music in stereo. By the sound of it, you'd probably be leaning toward the Pioneers for stereo applications, right?
post #4 of 14 Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes.  But I would also lean toward them for HT application for precisely the same reason.  Even if you buy the Pioneer speakers, for stereo listening, you will want to make sure you are using your subwoofer anyway, if you actually want to hear the deep bass of the music to which you listen.

And it is "Jack D Ripper," not "Jack the Ripper."  If you want to see a documentary dealing with me, you can purchase it on BD:

http://www.amazon.ca/Dr-Strangelove-Anniversary-Bilingual-Blu-ray/dp/B0024396G0/

On DVD:

http://www.amazon.ca/Dr-Strangelove-Bilingual-Peter-Sellers/dp/B000055Y0X/

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

And it is "Jack D Ripper," not "Jack the Ripper."  

And don't you forget it... BIG difference.. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 14 Old 02-04-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I missed the Kubrick reference! Damn!

I agree I would maybe have to use the subwoofer, but I would not want to go down the HT path with the pioneers, because that's opening up a can of worms (buying a matching center channel being the first one... and they're far too big for me).
post #7 of 14 Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoneedacoffee View Post

Sorry I missed the Kubrick reference! Damn!

Maybe you should have some coffee.

post #8 of 14 Old 02-04-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

Maybe you should have some coffee.

Good one!
post #9 of 14 Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Just a bump to see if more people want to chime in... I will need to make this decision very soon.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-05-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers
post #11 of 14 Old 02-05-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not interested in looking at other speakers, but thanks.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Liked: 48
This may help you decide: When using the multi room capability (which is what I'm assuming you're thinking about), the sub won't be used when using zone 2. That means whatever speakers you have connected to zone 2 will be responsible for the entire frequency range, the Pioneers bottom out ~65-70Hz whereas the Micros will reach down to ~35-40hz with the sub.

Personally, I think you should hold off on it and give the Energy's some time. Making the best use of Audyssey will help too, just make sure you visit the Audyssey thread and at least hit the highlights. If you find yourself wanting more for music, then plan out a purchase at that time and save up for something better than the Pioneers.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the thoughtful reply ien2. It's encouraging when someone in a gear forum replies with a "hold off - don;t buy" rather than the immediate "buy, buy, buy."
post #14 of 14 Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I know this post is a little old, but I have both, and I can tell very little difference between the two. The Micros sound extremely big for their size, are...micro (an Energy satellite is probably 1/5 the size of a BS22 bookshelf), and they just have a cleaner, more polished look than the Pioneers. The ESW-8 sub that comes in the 5.1 Micro setup is a very good 8". I say stick with what you have because it looks better and takes up less space than the Pioneers.

FYI, I purchased three pairs of the BS22's for $60 each on Amazon and chose a Dayton SUB-1200 subwoofer for $119 from Parts Express. $299 total.
I purchased the RC-Micro 5.1 system like new on Amazon for $270 total.
The Pioneer and Dayton system sounds awesome, but I probably prefer the Energy system because of its size and looks. Similar performance. The problem is finding an RC-Micro system for $270 right now.

Samsung PN60F5300 | cheap 40" 'cool' bias lighting | Energy RC-Micro 5.1 | Yamaha RX-V375 | Xbox 360 S | Roku HD
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Sp Bs21 Lr 80 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Energy Rc Micro 5 Pack Channel Home Theater System , Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page