Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
el0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently building a house. The family room is rather large 28'x17' with an open floor plan. The rear of the room opens to a breakfast area/kitchen. Half of the family room is a faulted ceiling, which is creating an acoustical nightmare.

The entire house is wired for audio in ceiling except the family room and driven by Elan g! Due to the vaulted ceiling I've opted for satellite speakers in the family room. To keep the wife happy, I'd like to get the best speaker while maximizing aesthetic appeal. I want the speakers to disappear.

I did not want to sacrifice insulation value, so I opted to avoid in wall speakers. However I did place a Subrosa SRS-210 (2700 watt) in an interior wall that faces the family room.

Can someone recommend Fronts/Center and Surround to give me a great acoustical experience. Not much music will be played, however many many movies. I want to feel like I'm on Normandy during the opening 30 of Saving Private Ryan.

I'm torn between KEF T101 and Axiom M3 v3 On-Wall. Any and all advice is appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 PM

Liked: 18
Realistically with that size of a room you are going to want floor standing speakers to fill the room. Satellites won't give you what you are looking for.

Ignorance is a choice
post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Flat-wall-mount or satellite speakers would be a stretch in that room size. Of the two there are some satellites that might do better. But you would probably need two very good (i.e. not low-budget) subs to cover the lower-mid and upper bass ranges that satellites don't cover.

There are some smaller bookshelf speakers that would very likely be a better option - a few are even wall mountable.

Higher quality in-walls might also be a better option (there are others in the forum who can help you with those).

FYI - stating your budget will always help get you more specific recommendations.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Liked: 27
Mirage OMD-5
post #5 of 6 Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Liked: 41
Decent satellites or flat wall mounts will fill the room with sound, I demo'd my Minx 21's in a 4000+ sqft room and it wasn't a problem. Generally what you lose by going with these types of speakers is sensitivity, top end SPL, and dynamic range mostly and depending on the room you'll have placement issues due to acoustics. In addition you may have to set your crossover higher than you want which could give you directional sound problems.

But they will fill your room, once you get out of the low end it's the listening distance that matters, not the size of the room. If you're fine with the above limitations and still want to go the route, don't worry too much about trying to fit in bookshelves or towers (not that you shouldn't at least look at that option carefully).
post #6 of 6 Old 02-05-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page