7.1 + More expansion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a Sony Home Theatre System with a receiver and nice sub woofer and some decent speakers.  It's around 5 years old, but I'm using it for my computer via Optical Cable.

I want the highest quality audio and upgrade to a 7.1

The speakers on the Sony say 6Ω.  I heard you need to get similar rates or something.

What are the greatest speakers to get for the sides so I can upgrade to 7.1?  A specific brand or so would be nice.  I looked at Bose because I have been in love with their headphones, earphones, bluetooth speakers and computer speakers.  I only need 2 more and I can replace the other ones later.

Also, I was wondering about going above 7.1 and into 14.2

Is that even realistic?  How much of a difference would that make?  My computer motherboard sound card goes up to 7.1 channel.

I use my speakers for about everything.  Gaming, Music, Movies, etc.  In all the headsets and speakers I've used to play games, I've only been able to hear in front of me and behind me. Above was never really a thing.  I don't think any games support 7.1 nor does most music and movies.  Will it ever work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Which Sony system do you have? It will need to have enough amplification ( and outputs ) to support 7 speakers.

The best one can do currently is DTS Neo:X, which supports up to 11 speakers but the 4 beyond 7.x are derived from the other 7. Atmos ( Dolby ) and Auro-3D ( Barco ) are currently only available for theaters now but are the first in the new trend of object-oriented sound placement. They can support up to 64 speakers, I think, including arrays of ceiling speakers. Probably SEVERAL years before these surround codecs/systems are available in the home.

The best thing to do, for now, if your Sony AVR supports additional speakers, is to find a similar pair of Sony speakers and add them to the existing system OR pick up a pair of slightly better Sony tower speakers to replace the front or surround L/R pair.

My first surround sound system was a Sony AVR ( STR-DE805 ) paired with one of their 5 speaker packages. The package had two tower speakers, a small center, and a couple of small satellite speakers.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page