How much power needed for Polk RTi12? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-08-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Marantz SR5005 that's a few years old, but still a very capable AVR. It's rated at 100W (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 2ch driven) x7, and I use it in bi-amp mode on my existing Polk RTi10 speakers .

I'm eyeing an upgrade to the Polk RTi12. Those are rated at 8 ohm impedance, 90 dB sensitivity. Will my Marantz put out sufficient power in bi-amp mode to run the bigger RTi12? From what I've read, they need a stout amp or else they sound really mediocre. Not interested in upgrading to bigger amps at this time, so if the SR5005 isn't powerful enough I'll hang onto the RTi10.

Marantz AVR & monoblocks + MartinLogan Motion 3.1 setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-08-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Unless the RTi-12's are dirt cheap it's not much of an upgrade.

Regards,
Charlie

post #3 of 13 Old 02-08-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

Unless the RTi-12's are dirt cheap it's not much of an upgrade.

$800/pair shipped to my door, direct from Polk.

Why do you say they are not much of an upgrade? Adds another 7" woofer, and trades the single 6.5" mid for dual 5.25".

post #4 of 13 Old 02-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i would hang on to the 10's if you can't get a dedicated amp. Any yes, they are an upgrade if you can drive them accordingly.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Those speakers will get plenty loud with that reciever...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #6 of 13 Old 02-09-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just connect the speakers to the AVR the normal way. AVR's don't run in a true bridge mode like pro amps can. The so called bi-amping that you've done has no benefit and is giving you no extra wattage to the speakers. Bi-amping in that fashion is an AVR marketing gimick and does not work.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

Just connect the speakers to the AVR the normal way. AVR's don't run in a true bridge mode like pro amps can. The so called bi-amping that you've done has no benefit and is giving you no extra wattage to the speakers. Bi-amping in that fashion is an AVR marketing gimick and does not work.

Fine, I have read Rod Elliott's information. I still bi-amp. That's not the issue here, so don't take this off-topic and turn it into another "SHOULD I BI-AMP GUYZ?" argument.

I'm asking if the RTi12 is going to get enough juice from a mid-range AVR, or if it is going to be a step down.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You're ignoring one of your system issues with your bi-amping. You asked for advice from an audio forum. Take the advice and do what you want with it. You just got true advice that you want to ignore. That''s a whole other issue besides your bi-amping. Good luck with your audio systems progress.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

You're ignoring one of your system issues with your bi-amping. You asked for advice from an audio forum. Take the advice and do what you want with it. You just got true advice that you want to ignore. That''s a whole other issue besides your bi-amping. Good luck with your audio systems progress.

You just said yourself it makes no difference whether he biamps or not. So whether he does or not makes zero difference to the original question.

Will the RTi 12's receive enough juice from his AVR or should he get an external amplifier?

As a Polk Monitor 70 owner, I say get an external amplifier. I ran into issues, mainly blown tweeters, when playing too loudly with the AVR. No such issue with my Crown XLS1500 amplifier.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

If you get an amp with 2x output power you only get 3dB additional SPL output from the speakers.
If you are using 50 watts of output power you are probably getting hearing damage, if you put a 500 watt amp in the system and still play at the same loudness you will have 450 watts sitting around doing nothing instead of 30 or 40 watts sitting around doing nothing.
Adding a good sub (Hsu VTF3 or better) setting the speakers to small, and crossover to 80Hz will do more for dynamics and impact than anything else you can add.

Regards,
Charlie

post #11 of 13 Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

If you get an amp with 2x output power you only get 3dB additional SPL output from the speakers.
If you are using 50 watts of output power you are probably getting hearing damage, if you put a 500 watt amp in the system and still play at the same loudness you will have 450 watts sitting around doing nothing instead of 30 or 40 watts sitting around doing nothing.
Adding a good sub (Hsu VTF3 or better) setting the speakers to small, and crossover to 80Hz will do more for dynamics and impact than anything else you can add.

I have had the rti12, back in the day, on both a Pioneer receiver and then a 200 watt/channel Outlaw Amp and i could not believe the difference. This is all compared at the same level of volume too. More impact, more mid bass punch, and way better sound quality. I had more in reserve for those scenes that needed it. The distortion i got was so minimal when compared to the receiver and the sound quality was awesome.

There has been so many topics on amps vs. receivers, just do a search and you will see.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-10-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've got a pretty solid sub (BIC VK-12, and it's on an Auralex Gramma pad). You do make a good point about volume levels -- the loudest I ever turn the Marantz to is -10.0dB, and that's pretty rare.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFE Junkie View Post

I have had the rti12, back in the day, on both a Pioneer receiver and then a 200 watt/channel Outlaw Amp and i could not believe the difference. This is all compared at the same level of volume too. More impact, more mid bass punch, and way better sound quality. I had more in reserve for those scenes that needed it. The distortion i got was so minimal when compared to the receiver and the sound quality was awesome.

There has been so many topics on amps vs. receivers, just do a search and you will see.
Or you can do some research, I will even help you out.
http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/
I am not anti-amplifier, but they only amplify the signal, they do not do anything else unless they are malfunctioning.
Regardless of what you think, you only get 3dB more SPL every time you double the power.

Regards,
Charlie

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Speakers Rti 12 , Marantz Sr5005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr5005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page