Klipsch Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I recently purchased a pair of Klipsch Synergy F-20s. My only issue is that at certain points when music is supposed to be playing in a movie/TV show I'm watching it will sound quiet and hollow and sounds like it's only coming through the tweeter. I noticed it when I watched Mr and Mrs Smith during a fight scene when a song is playing in the background but it sounds as though it's coming from a clock radio in the room and not a part of the actual soundtrack. Another example is the TV show Archer, the intro/outro song sounds the same as the song in Mr and Mrs Smith but all dialog and other sounds appear to be coming through perfectly. I threw Unreal Tournament in to see if it would exhibit any of the same issues and sure enough, when I shoot it sounded hollow and quiet. I thought it was possibly a Playstation 3 setting so I streamed Archer through my Chromecast and the same problem occurred.

What struck me as weird about it is that I had a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers before this and never noticed the problem. My first inclination was that it's because I have the speakers bi-amped but I had it hooked up the same with with the Polk's and had no issues. I've played around with the bi-amp settings and speakers sizes in my home theater but it seems to have no effect. When I was encountering the issue I had the audio mode set to Dolby PLII Movie but also tried it with the direct stream and it made no difference.

My setup is as follows:

Reciever: Pioneer VSX-9040TXH
Center: Polk CS A6
Towers: Klipsch Synergy F20s

The towers are bi-amped so they're hooked up to my reciever as fronts and rears. I haven't run any calibration as I don't have a microphone and my settings in my reciever are as follows:

Surround Back System:
Front - Bi-amp
Center - Normal
Surr - Normal
SB - ---

Speaker Setting:
Front - Large
Center - Large
Surr - Large
SB - ---
SW - NO

X.OVER - 80Hz

Speaker Distance:

L. C, R - 5'00"
SR, SL - 6'00"
SW - ---
SBL - ---
SBR - ---

X-Curve:
-0.5dB/oct

THX Audio Setting:

Loudness Plus - ON
SB SP Position - ---
TXH Select2 SW - ---

Thanks to all who took the time to read this and to all those who can offer help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I'm pretty sure it's your setup. Why would you have them biamped at all is the first question? Try it without, and then report back.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #3 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

I'm pretty sure it's your setup. Why would you have them biamped at all is the first question? Try it without, and then report back.

I did it with my Polks and they sounded better afterward so I tried the same thing with these. I'll give that a try thanks.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I'm not sure what you are experiencing, but I would definitely put the connectors back on the speakers and run one set of wires to them...If it sounds like your LF drivers aren't working it may mean you have a setting in the AVR wrong but you won't gain anything by running two sets of wires to your speakers. That said, if things were setup correctly biwiring your speakers you should still have the LF drivers working.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Why is there a cross over setting of 80hz when everything is being run as large?

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

So without bi-amping the speakers work just fine. I tried to swap the top cables with the bottom ones and now the sound comes from the woofer instead of the tweeter. The reason I bi-amped in the first place was because I was told it was better for music and from what I heard on my Polk speakers I definitely agree. I'm not a home theater expert by any means. I can hook one up from the most part and can usually figure out a lot of the basics on my own but definitely am not a total techie with this kind of stuff.

I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have as to how to keep them bi-amped and still have them work properly for movies.

I don't know why my crossover was set that way, I didn't change that setting, not sure if it changed when I changed the speaker size or not.

post #7 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3toon View Post

I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have as to how to keep them bi-amped and still have them work properly for movies.
Don't. Passive bi-amping has no benefits. Those who have told you otherwise are simply incorrect.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Don't. Passive bi-amping has no benefits. Those who have told you otherwise are simply incorrect.

Out of curiosity, why do the speakers have four posts if there is no advantage? Keep in mind my technical knowledge is rather limited.

post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So without bi-amping the speakers work just fine.

There ya go! Seriously, welcome to the forum because you came to the right place to ask your question--With those speakers and AVR I don't think you are going to get a different answer...That said, if you are switching the wires around and the sound is traveling then something is wrong with either the 2nd wire connection or you have something wrong with the AVRs amp assign mode in setup....If it were me, put the jumpers back in place and run one set of wires.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Out of curiosity, why do the speakers have four posts if there is no advantage? Keep in mind my technical knowledge is rather limited.

Imo, they are put there as a gimmick. The advantage would be if you wanted to use an external crossover you could disconnect the one in the speaker, and my guess is that no one who purchases Klipsch Synergy speakers do that. {Note: Btw, I am a Klipsch owner.}
post #11 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Imo, they are put there as a gimmick. The advantage would be if you wanted to use an external crossover you could disconnect the one in the speaker, and my guess is that no one who purchases Klipsch Synergy speakers do that. {Note: Btw, I am a Klipsch owner.}

Interesting. I was told that for home theater it made no difference but for playing music there was a positive benefit for bi-amping. I suppose a lot of misinformation and opinion floats around and spreads, which is exactly why I came here to ask. If there's no benefit then I'll just keep it hooked up with the single wire for each speaker.

Should I be changing any of my settings? Obviously I'll change the speakers from the bi-amping setting back to the original setting but my crossover level was mentioned, should I be changing that?

post #12 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

If you don't have a subwoofer you are going to be running your speakers as Large and not setting a crossover in the AVR {Note: If you had a subwoofer you would set your speakers as Small and then set a crossover around 80 Hz.}

Fwiw, the crossover in your speaker sends the higher notes to the horn tweeter and the lower notes to the LF drivers....The crossover setting in the AVR sends anything below that point to the sub and above that to the speaker. The crossover in your speaker can't be manipulated.... What you have is a two-way speaker that can be used in a three-way configuration when using Bass Mgmt in the AVR and a subwoofer.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you don't have a subwoofer you are going to be running your speakers as Large and not setting a crossover in the AVR {Note: If you had a subwoofer you would set your speakers as Small and then set a crossover around 80 Hz.}

Fwiw, the crossover in your speaker sends the higher notes to the horn tweeter and the lower notes to the LF drivers....The crossover setting in the AVR sends anything below that point to the sub and above that to the speaker. The crossover in your speaker can't be manipulated.... What you have is a two-way speaker that can be used in a three-way configuration when using Bass Mgmt in the AVR and a subwoofer.

It forces me to choose a crossover, even if I turn surround speakers and the subwoofer to off and just have the front and center as large. Should I just leave it at 80Hz?

I had another question about surround sound modes. I've heard that Stereo is ideal for music but am curious about movie modes seeing as I only have a three speaker setup. I did a bit of reading and it seems as though Dolbly PLII is what people have been recommending and that to have it come direct from the source i.e. a bluray isn't ideal. What do you guys recommend?

post #14 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't help you on your AVR questions except to say if you don't have a subwoofer then setting a crossover makes no sense--I would ask that question in one of the Pioneers Owners Threads in the AMP section. Good luck.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I can't help you on your AVR questions except to say if you don't have a subwoofer then setting a crossover makes no sense--I would ask that question in one of the Pioneers Owners Threads in the AMP section. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

post #16 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:

Out of curiosity, why do the speakers have four posts if there is no advantage?
So that those who aren't aware that there's no advantage will buy them. The same applies to why 7.1 AVRs offer the option to passive bi-amp if you're not using seven speakers. It's Marketing 101, give the customer what he wants, even if it's of no value, lest they buy from someone else because you didn't offer it.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

So that those who aren't aware that there's no advantage will buy them. The same applies to why 7.1 AVRs offer the option to passive bi-amp if you're not using seven speakers. It's Marketing 101, give the customer what he wants, even if it's of no value, lest they buy from someone else because you didn't offer it.

Makes sense, like mega pixels are for cameras.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Synergy F 20 Premium Dual 6 5 Inch Floor Standing Speaker , Pioneer Vsx 9040txh 7 Channel Direct Energy Amplification Home Theater Receiver Black , Polk Audio Csi A6 Center Channel Speaker
Gear in this thread - 9040txh by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page