$3500 to spend on new 5.1 setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to a lovely fire Memorial day weekend I'm in the market for a new home theater setup. I have an installer pushing TruAudio to me, never heard of them and the lack of reviews scare me. I was hoping for some input from you guys on what I should be looking for. I think I can do better purchasing on my own and paying him to do the install.

My apologies in advance if showing pricing is a no no, just want to get some good advice. I had originally thought of getting an SVS sub or something similar.

Current bid has:

Denon E300 $450
Tru-Audio Tru Cinema Series Tower Speaker 6.5inch Dual x2 $1500
Tru-Audio Tru CT-44 Series Center Speaker 4inch Dua x1 $250
Tru-Audio In-wall Speaker Surround Rear 6.5inch Pair $280
Tru-Audio 10inch Ported Subwoofer Front Fire $550

Where would you put the money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 455
How large is your room; length, width, and height? Also is it open to any other spaces?

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
You will be putting a lot of that money in his pocket. His profit margin on that junk is astronomical.

You are paying BMW prices for a Ford Fiesta; a real rip-off.

That is not good-quality stuff, and terribly overpriced besides. You can buy better speakers from Polk for one-third that price.

Here's a really excellent system you can get from KEF Direct:

A pair of KEF Q700 speakers; $1500

A Q200c center speaker; $500

A pair of KEF C1 speakers; $279

A NHT B12D subwoofer; $800 (I have this one; it is excellent).

That is a system, for $3100, that is the real BMW-class stuff and will sound about 300% better. Very fine sound at a fair price.

Go to the KEF Direct website and check it out.

KEF has been making some of the best speakers in the world for 50 years; they will still be around a long time from now to support their products, unlike those other guys.
post #4 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

You will be putting a lot of that money in his pocket. His profit margin on that junk is astronomical.

You are paying BMW prices for a Ford Fiesta; a real rip-off.

That is not good-quality stuff, and terribly overpriced besides. You can buy better speakers from Polk for one-third that price.

Here's a great system you can get from KEF Direct:

A pair of KEF Q700 speakers; $1500

A Q200c center speaker; $500

A pair of KEF C1 speakers; $279

A NHT B12D subwoofer; $800

That is a system, for $3100, that is the real BMW-class stuff and will sound about 300% better.

Go to the KEF Direct website and check it out.

If he has a decent sized room, he is going to need a more capable sub. I would be looking at spending around $1500 on a pair of subs. KEF would be a good choice though, I might consider Q300s for the front instead with a good quality sub(s).

post #5 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a fairly large room, and the NHT B12D does the job rather well.

It has a 500-watt RMS power amplifier, for one thing; way more than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

If he has a decent sized room, he is going to need a more capable sub. I would be looking at spending around $1500 on a pair of subs. KEF would be a good choice though, I might consider Q300s for the front instead with a good quality sub(s).
post #6 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 158

Klipsch RF 62         $1000

Klipsch RC 52        $370   

Klipsch RB 52        $420

PSA XV 15             $800

Denon X3000         $900

If you want you can go back to your cheaper amp and ratchet up the component speakers in the Klipsch Reference Series. I wouldn't, but that's an option.

Other sub options include SVS PB2000, HSU VTF3... which are also 800 shipped. 

Frys has all Klipsch Reference for 20% off MSRP. If you go that way I'd suggest putting that savings towards the Denon X4000

post #7 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I am sure it sounds great, but you can get an SVS PB-2000 for the same price which will go 10hz lower...and also has a 500 watt RMS amp.

post #8 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Comparing those those Klipsch speakers to the KEF speakers you can get for the same price is a bad joke.

The Klipsch speakers don't even come close to sounding as good.

The KEF speakers get great reviews, and the few reviewers that will even bother with the inferior Klipsch speakers have to try hard to say anything good at all.

Usually, it comes out something like this: "well, they DO have lots of bass, and the treble is not quite as bad as the Klipsch reputation might lead you to think..."....ROFL.

Their horn tweeters just plain suck.

Putting them next to some GOOD speakers from KEF, PSB, Focal, or Wharfedale will leave no doubt in anyone's mind that they are strictly 2nd-rate; strictly for audio novices that don't know any better yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

Denon X3000         $900

If you want you can go back to your cheaper amp and ratchet up the component speakers in the Klipsch Reference Series. I wouldn't, but that's an option.

Other sub options include SVS PB2000, HSU VTF3... which are also 800 shipped. 

Frys has all Klipsch Reference for 20% off MSRP. If you go that way I'd suggest putting that savings towards the Denon X4000
post #9 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Comparing those those Klipsch speakers to the KEF speakers you can get for the same price is a bad joke.

The KEF speakers get great reviews, and the few reviewers that will even bother with the inferior Klipsch speakers have to try hard to say anything good at all.

What is exactly is the purpose of this post? Maybe offer a comparison between KEF and Klipsch to the show the OP the differences in sound instead of just trashing a brand.

post #10 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Usually, it comes out something like this: "well, they DO have lots of bass, and the treble is not quite as bad as the Klipsch reputation might lead you to think..."....ROFL.

Putting them next to some GOOD speakers from KEF, PSB, Focal, or Wharfedale will leave no doubt in anyone's mind that they are strictly 2nd-rate.

Cool story bro, how about you can your fanboy flaming. You make your suggestions, and I'll make mine.
post #11 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Try doing some serous LISTENING to Klipsch vs some PSB, KEF, Focal, or Wharfedale speakers in the same price range.

Unless your ears were shot off in the war, you won't have any problem hearing which is better.

Most people certainly don't. You don't have to be a "Fanboy" to drive a Porsche and a Mazda Miata and figure out real quick which one is better!

Performance is performance, and those too isolated from the facts to tell the difference must really be "Fanboys"!!!

Quote:

Cool story bro, how about you can your fanboy flaming. You make your suggestions, and I'll make mine.
post #12 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:06 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_her View Post

I'd put my money on gear I've actually listened to and then pick the one I liked best.  In other words grab the bull by the horns, go out and do your own leg work and buy the system YOU like best.  

post #13 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:

Current bid has:

Denon E300 $450

I would skip and keep looking

Denon X2000
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX2000/Denon-AVR-X2000.html?showAll=N&search=denon_x2000&skipvs=T#overview-tab

Good prices on the JBL Studio 5 series, and they are nice/good

Studio 580
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Studio-580/STUDIO%20580_JBL_US

Studio 520
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Studio-520C/STUDIO%20520C_JBL_US?skuId=STUDIO%20520CBK_JBL_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly&sCatId=cat140013

Studio 530
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Studio-530/STUDIO%20530_JBL_US?skuId=STUDIO%20530BK_JBL_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly&sCatId=cat140013

Power Sound Audio XV15 subwoofer
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv15

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #14 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:

Denon X3000         $900

Get the RC-62 center to match if you do this and possibly even the RF-82. The Denon x2000 should be plenty. With the saved money you can look into the RS series surround speakers or better or multiple subs. Talk to the sales guys here at AVS and see what kind of deal they can make you. Will be better than Frys I'm sure.

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
post #15 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

But beware of listening in dealer's showrooms.

What you hear there, and what you will hear in your own home, with your own gear and your own acoustics, will be as different as night and day.

If there is one main thing I am sure of, after 50 years in audio, you are a fool to buy anything until you try it in your home for several days!

If you have to, buy it and return it for a refund if needed. That is a lot better than taking a chance on something you have never heard in your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Glenn View Post

I'd put my money on gear I've actually listened to and then pick the one I liked best.  In other words grab the bull by the horns, go out and do your own leg work and buy the system YOU like best.  
post #16 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I would take a look at Monitor Audio, you can great some great deals on their older line which is being phased out (very similar to the new ones).

Grab 2 pairs of RX-1s for your fronts and surrounds, and a silver center, the whole 5.0 set will run you $1700.

Pick up a pair of SVS PB-2000 for $1600, and the Denon X2000 (www.accessories4less.com).

http://www.audioadvisor.com/Monitor-Audio-Silver-RX-1-2-way-Compact-Loudspeakers/productinfo/MRSRX1/
http://www.audioadvisor.com/Monitor-Audio-Silver-Series-Center-2-1_2-Way-Speaker/productinfo/1MRSSC/
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-2000

You might also want to look at the SVS Ultra speakers, another good option.

post #17 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Try doing some serous LISTENING to Klipsch vs some PSB, KEF, Focal, or Wharfedale speakers in the same price range.

Unless your ears were shot off in the war, you won't have any problem hearing which is better.

Most people certainly don't. You don't have to be a "Fanboy" to drive a Porsche and a Mazda Miata and figure out real quick which one is better!

Performance is performance, and those too isolated from the facts to tell the difference must really be "Fanboys"!!!

Wouldn't the Miata get better MPG, lol...Speakers are subjective so calling Klipsch 2nd rate speakers because you don't like their sound doesn't make much sense. KEF might have better build quality but that doesn't always translate to a better sounding speakers to some people.
post #18 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 613
I would definitely skip the Tru Audio stuff. Installer brands are always overpriced and have a nice big margin for the installer, there is a reason why installers prefer them.

I would skip tower speakers. With towers, you will be paying for bass extension that you would never use with a correctly set up subwoofer. Just get some good bookshelf speakers for the front left/rights. I would get dual subwoofers for more even bass throughout the room, and also to lessen localization so the sub doe snot draw attention to itself. The extra headroom of dual subs will be useful as well.

Also, with a $3.5k budget, you can do better than a Denon E300. Your installer is taking you for a ride on that one, and that should raise a red flag right there. I would want something with a beefier amp, a better version of Audyssey and some pre-outs would be nice as well. I would swing for something like a Denon AVR-X2000 at the very least, but that does not have pre-outs. I like the marantz 5008 which does have pre-outs.

For speakers, KEFs would be very nice, some Q100s or Q300s. Klipsch is good too if you want a punchy sound, I would be looking at some RB-81s with Klipsch. I would also take a look at some ascend CMT-340s. You can get a great speaker and save a little money on a kit like this one if you can do just a tiny bit of assembly on your own. I also like what I read about the JBL Studio 500 series, you might look into those. Also look at some EMP Impression speakers, specifically the E55Ti towers and E56Ci center. For subs, I would be looking at a pair of Hsu VTF2 mk4s or dual VTF3s if you can afford it. Hsu's speakers are decent too, you might think about a speaker package from them and tack on an extra sub for a dual drive. You might also take a look at two dual-opposing 15"s from a new company called Reaction Audio which could be a killer deal.
post #19 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

I think I can do better purchasing on my own and paying him to do the install.

To install the in-wall speakers or the whole thing?

Like connecting the speaker wires from the AVR to the speakers? biggrin.gif
post #20 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I would definitely skip the Tru Audio stuff. Installer brands are always overpriced and have a nice big margin for the installer, there is a reason why installers prefer them.

I would skip tower speakers. With towers, you will be paying for bass extension that you would never use with a correctly set up subwoofer. Just get some good bookshelf speakers for the front left/rights. I would get dual subwoofers for more even bass throughout the room, and also to lessen localization so the sub doe snot draw attention to itself. The extra headroom of dual subs will be useful as well.

Also, with a $3.5k budget, you can do better than a Denon E300. Your installer is taking you for a ride on that one, and that should raise a red flag right there. I would want something with a beefier amp, a better version of Audyssey and some pre-outs would be nice as well. I would swing for something like a Denon AVR-X2000 at the very least, but that does not have pre-outs. I like the marantz 5008 which does have pre-outs.

For speakers, KEFs would be very nice, some Q100s or Q300s. Klipsch is good too if you want a punchy sound, I would be looking at some RB-81s with Klipsch. I would also take a look at some ascend CMT-340s. You can get a great speaker and save a little money on a kit like this one if you can do just a tiny bit of assembly on your own. I also like what I read about the JBL Studio 500 series, you might look into those. Also look at some EMP Impression speakers, specifically the E55Ti towers and E56Ci center. For subs, I would be looking at a pair of Hsu VTF2 mk4s or dual VTF3s if you can afford it. Hsu's speakers are decent too, you might think about a speaker package from them and tack on an extra sub for a dual drive. You might also take a look at two dual-opposing 15"s from a new company called Reaction Audio which could be a killer deal.
Quote:

Thanks to a lovely fire Memorial day weekend I'm in the market for a new home theater setup. I have an installer pushing TruAudio to me, never heard of them and the lack of reviews scare me. I was hoping for some input from you guys on what I should be looking for. I think I can do better purchasing on my own and paying him to do the install.

My apologies in advance if showing pricing is a no no, just want to get some good advice. I had originally thought of getting an SVS sub or something similar.

Current bid has:

Denon E300 $450

+1 on everything mentioned above. Besides if you ever want to upgrade or change your setup that Tru Audio stuff is just going to sit and not sell. This is when brand recognition comes in to play, people buy brands they're familiar with. If you're not concerned about upgrading I still wouldn't buy their stuff. You can make a dollar stretch pretty far going with Ascend, Emptek, HSU, etc...Same money on the speakers and buy 2 subs and don't look back!
post #21 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:

Putting them next to some GOOD speakers from KEF, PSB, Focal, or Wharfedale will leave no doubt in anyone's mind that they are strictly 2nd-rate; strictly for audio novices that don't know any better yet.

Another helpful post. :roll eyes:

For the OP just be advised that sysman has never heard nearly all of the speakers he says he doesn't like so has no clue as to what he's talking about.

As for build quality the klipsch reference series is equal to the Kef Q series. Both use MDF and vinyl finish. Weights are similar. For HT the Klipsch reference are hard to beat for the money.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #22 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:

Current bid has:

Denon E300 $450

I would not recommend any of the above. What is your listening distance and how loud do you like to listen?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #23 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 AM

Opinion, speculative, no substance.

More speculative opinion, I guess you feel if you keep saying it, it’ll become fact? 

I’ll leave it up to an honest person’s usage of the Google Machine to read reviews and take from them what’s important. No speaker gets 100% rosy reviews, and none in this price range have such negative reviews that you insist follow typical Klipsch reviews. 

More opinion. Some people don’t like horns, many others do. I think the OP can figure this out on his own.

More opinion, no facts… I’ve heard all of these brands, and they are great speakers. I think that Klipsch Reference are in the same league, and given his budget and other considerations, this is my suggestion. I’ll admit this is my opinion. It is rather condescending and presumptuous to assume I haven’t heard any of these speakers you mention. 

Try using a less condescending tone and assuming what I have and had not listened to.

Nice, safe and warm behind that keyboard isn’t it?

That is what a fanboy does, just says it’s better and others suck. No substance, no facts.

Quality is quality, and those too isolated from the facts to tell the difference must really be "Fanboys"!!!

So where are your facts?

But beware of listening in dealer's showrooms. What you hear there, and what you will hear in your own home, with your own gear and your own acoustics, will be as different as night and day.

OMG… I'm sure the OP had no idea. Instead of just understanding this easily understood and unavoidable circumstance, the OP should just listen to you.

If there is one main thing I am sure of, after 50 years in audio, you are a fool to buy anything until you try it in your home for several days!

Wait, you’re more than 50 years old… LOL 

If you have to, buy it and return it for a refund if needed. That is a lot better than taking a chance on something you have never heard in your home.

OMG… This is revolutionary advice. 

post #24 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

But beware of listening in dealer's showrooms.

What you hear there, and what you will hear in your own home, with your own gear and your own acoustics, will be as different as night and day.

Exactly. Not every dealer will allow returns but at the very least listen to them rather than what's popular on internet or what someone else likes. 

post #25 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I've heard a lot of speakers and own a lot of speakers over the years.

With the exception of the $1500 Yamaha pro cab speakers and a few other cheap speakers from Best Buy, I think a lot of speakers are pretty good sounding in MY HOME, including Klipsch, the little NHT SuperZero (sometimes on sale for $60 each), and the little Infinity P163 (sometimes on sale for $75).

But at stores and dealers, some of the speakers don't sound as good.
post #26 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
That's an awful bid. Do not listen to that installer.

TruAudio is GARBAGE. To me, they sound like the speakers you buy out of those white van scams!

Kef, Paradigm, B&W, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, theyre all good brans.

I prefer the sound of Paradigm, Kef, and Monitor Audio. The older Monitor Audio Silver line is on closeout now due to the new ones out. The new ones are excellent as well.

The Kef Q series is truly excellent.

Paradigm's new Monitor line is very good too. It hits way above it's price bracket.

For a subwoofer, I would choose an ID company. I've had both commercial subs (Paradigm, JL, ML, Focal, etc) and ID subs (Rhythmik, SVS, HSU), and ID brands BLOW commercial out of the water in performance per dollar.

A new SVS PB-2000 would sound good for you too!
post #27 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

That's an awful bid. Do not listen to that installer.

TruAudio is GARBAGE. To me, they sound like the speakers you buy out of those white van scams!

Kef, Paradigm, B&W, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, theyre all good brans.

I prefer the sound of Paradigm, Kef, and Monitor Audio. The older Monitor Audio Silver line is on closeout now due to the new ones out. The new ones are excellent as well.

The Kef Q series is truly excellent.

Paradigm's new Monitor line is very good too. It hits way above it's price bracket.

For a subwoofer, I would choose an ID company. I've had both commercial subs (Paradigm, JL, ML, Focal, etc) and ID subs (Rhythmik, SVS, HSU), and ID brands BLOW commercial out of the water in performance per dollar.

A new SVS PB-2000 would sound good for you too!

Yeah the installer must be getting some kind of kick back on TruAudio

For the OP

Broadly speaking, you're likely spending 1000ish on mains (The Klipsch RF62II at Frys for 800pr is a good deal)

The big 3 $800 ID subs, PSA XV15, PB2000, or HSU VTF3 are all very nice subs. 

I'd get the best Denon X series AVR you can buy... 

You can save money by going with bookshelf vs dipole/dipole style surrounds. 

post #28 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Instead of the Denon X series, PLEASE try the Anthem MRX310. That is one badass receiver. It can be had for like $900 if looked around...
post #29 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is better about the MRX310? I've never heard of this receiver before.
post #30 of 41 Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

What is better about the MRX310? I've never heard of this receiver before.

With your budget, I wouldn't spend that much on a receiver. And generally those boutique receivers don't offer a lot of value compared to the mainstream brands.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page