AVS Forum banner

In-Ceiling and In-Wall speakers......Episode or Klipsch?

20K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  zieglj01 
#1 ·
Hi,

Being very new to the world of Home Theater, I am going to do 3 in-ceiling speakers for the left, center, and right and in-walls for the two surrounds. For aesthetic and room layout reasons, front in-wall is unfortunately not going to work out (and floor or bookshelf speakers are out as well).

My AV guy proposed Episode 500 Series Angled In-Ceiling speakers....
http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/34/Episode-500-Angled-In-Ceiling-Speaker-with-6.5-inch-Woofer

and the 500 series In-walls.....
http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/42/Episode-500-Series-In-Wall-Speaker-with-6.5-in.-Woofers

Just doing some research myself, Episodes website says comparable products are the Klipsch CDT-3650-C for the in-ceilings.....
http://www.klipsch.com/CDT-3650-C-II

and the R-3650-W for the in-walls.....
http://www.klipsch.com/R-3650-W-II

If you had to choose, would you go with the Episode or the Klipsch just on pure performance?

To skew things a little more, I see Crutchfield has a deal where if you buy 5 Klipsch speakers you get $500 towards a sub (SW-110 would be free, SW-112 would be $100, SW-115 would be $350, or the RW-5802 passive sub would be free, but that would require an amp to power it). So for a little math, I was being quoted $299 each for the Episode 500 in-ceilings and $399 total (200 each) for the pair of Episode 500 Series in-walls. The Klipsch in-ceilings are the same price, $299. The Klipsch in-walls are $599 (so $300 each). So while I am paying $200 more for the Klipsch set up, I'm also getting a sub with that, so my thinking is I'm potentially getting better speakers and a nice sub for my extra $200.

Any thoughts? I really want to do this right but I'm just clueless when trying to figure out what speakers are the better option. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone with any thoughts? I've searched the forum, really can't find a whole lot of new relevant info on the Episodes, most of the Episode threads are a few years old. So I don't know how they stack up against the Klipsch. The AV guy I had out for an estimate seems to really like them for a basic-mid level speaker.....I just don't know where they rank in comparison with the Klipsch's I mentioned. Help!!!!!

#3 ·
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24358466

In ceiling speakers are not recommended for the fronts - it would be better to go

in-wall for the fronts - and in-ceiling for surrounds.

I am not a fan of Klipsch - and Episode does not draw much attention here.

My recommendation is Boston, with their good close-out pricing on the VSi series
http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=bosvsi&x=0&y=0

My living room set up is a little limiting (I just moved in, pardon the mess).......
lr.jpg 228k .jpg file.

The best spot I can put a TV is above the fireplace, as much as I don't want to do that. Once the TV is mounted, there is practically no room for a center speaker above or below the TV. And to the left of the TV there is almost no room, so I had 2 different estimates and both told me I have to do in-ceiling for the fronts and center unfortunately (or a soundbar). Now that you mention it though, I really don't know why they both suggested in-walls for the rear surrounds. Possibly because there are already wall mounted rears, they were probably just going to mount them in the same spot.

I looked through that site, I couldn't really tell if any of the Boston speakers could be angled, which is what it was suggested I do since I'm most likely doing in-ceiling in the front. Both the Episode and the Klipsch do tllt apparently, so that's why those were being considered. Thanks.

Attachments

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba23  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24362656

The best spot I can put a TV is above the fireplace, as much as I don't want to do that. Once the TV is mounted, there is practically no room for a center speaker above or below the TV. And to the left of the TV there is almost no room, so I had 2 different estimates and both told me I have to do in-ceiling for the fronts and center unfortunately (or a soundbar). Now that you mention it though, I really don't know why they both suggested in-walls for the rear surrounds. Possibly because there are already wall mounted rears, they were probably just going to mount them in the same spot.

I would still try to do away with in-ceiling up front. Look at some Flat Panel L/C/R speakers

They should be able to fit to the left and right side, and under the TV

Boston P442
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSP442BA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-P442-LCR-Left-Right-Center-Speaker-Black-Each-NEW/1.html

EMP EW30
http://emptek.com/ew30.php

#7 ·
The more reading I do, the more concerned I'm becoming about in-ceiling speakers for the left, front, and center....the installer swore to me it would be fine but literally everything I read online recommends against it. I know it isn't ideal, I understand that, but the fact that everyone says don't do it scares me. I just really don't want to go through all of this work, end up with in-ceilings, and hate it.

He said he could do an in wall center speaker but he said we'd either have to mount the TV really high or really low above the fireplace to make room. I already don't love the TV viewing angle being above the fireplace as is, so any higher wouldn't be good. But I think maybe if it were mounted lower to the fireplace, we can fit a center speaker above. On the left and right of the fireplace are 2 wall sconces that I was going to replace with more modern ones, but I'm thinking maybe I'll just ditch the sconces and that should give me room to do left and right speakers (I hope). I guess that's what I'm going to shoot for right now, hopefully that works out.

One question on the rear surrounds. Right now there are on wall mounted speakers. I believe the plan was to just do in walls there, probably because it's easier than patching those holes and making new holes in the ceiling. But what is the more ideal location for the surrounds.....in wall or in ceiling? Thanks.

#8 ·
In our old house we had a very nice in ceiling speaker system with a projector screen that came down over the fireplace. We really enjoyed that system. For TV and movies I never noticed it was above the screen. If I just played music with the screen up you could tell the sound came from above. They were Triads and I choked on the price of each of them,$800 each and this was 12 years ago. We wanted some cheaper round ones but my installer insisted we needed speakers that pointed towards where we were sitting. I think that for a TV mounted that high in ceiling speakers would work as long as they point towards where you are sitting, I don't know about the models you are considering.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba23  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24369687

The more reading I do, the more concerned I'm becoming about in-ceiling speakers for the left, front, and center....the installer swore to me it would be fine but literally everything I read online recommends against it. I know it isn't ideal, I understand that, but the fact that everyone says don't do it scares me. I just really don't want to go through all of this work, end up with in-ceilings, and hate it.

He said he could do an in wall center speaker but he said we'd either have to mount the TV really high or really low above the fireplace to make room. I already don't love the TV viewing angle being above the fireplace as is, so any higher wouldn't be good. But I think maybe if it were mounted lower to the fireplace, we can fit a center speaker above. On the left and right of the fireplace are 2 wall sconces that I was going to replace with more modern ones, but I'm thinking maybe I'll just ditch the sconces and that should give me room to do left and right speakers (I hope). I guess that's what I'm going to shoot for right now, hopefully that works out.

One question on the rear surrounds. Right now there are on wall mounted speakers. I believe the plan was to just do in walls there, probably because it's easier than patching those holes and making new holes in the ceiling. But what is the more ideal location for the surrounds.....in wall or in ceiling? Thanks.

Yes, skip the front in-ceiling speakers - they can be/will be annoying and distracting.

Not the end of the world mounting the center above the TV - if you lower the TV

I would prefer in-wall for surrounds also - with in-ceiling as a last resort.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24372198

In our old house we had a very nice in ceiling speaker system with a projector screen that came down over the fireplace. We really enjoyed that system. For TV and movies I never noticed it was above the screen. If I just played music with the screen up you could tell the sound came from above. They were Triads and I choked on the price of each of them,$800 each and this was 12 years ago. We wanted some cheaper round ones but my installer insisted we needed speakers that pointed towards where we were sitting. I think that for a TV mounted that high in ceiling speakers would work as long as they point towards where you are sitting, I don't know about the models you are considering.

I did get some recommendations by PM of speakers that had more of an angle towards the listening area, so I need to look into those. The only reasons that I can think of as to why in-ceilings were recommended were because of the wall sconces on either side of the TV being right in the way of in walls. Or the fact that the TV is so high above the fireplace combined with an angled speaker could do the job. I haven't been able to run anything by my installer as he's seemed to have disappeared for about a week now, so I might have to look for another installer with hopefully some better ideas.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba23  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24375251

I did get some recommendations by PM of speakers that had more of an angle towards the listening area, so I need to look into those..

And, which speakers were those - that were recommended by PM?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24375572

And, which speakers were those - that were recommended by PM?

Not sure if they want the credit or not, but I'll just post the recommendations I was given.....

Paradigm angled 30 degrees. Many models all have a 30 at the end of the model number. They range from $279 - $999 each.

Triad angled 30-45 degrees. Many models. Prices range from $450-$2450.

JBL LS360C ~30-35 degrees. $550

Revel C763L ~30-35 degrees. $750

Thiel Powerpoint 1.2 on ceiling speaker 60 degrees. $1300

Episode HT700 ~35 degrees. $800

Really unsure of what to do, just going to do more research and I guess try to find a new installer to try to take a look at my setup. If anyone can recommend someone in central NJ, I'd appreciate it!

#14 ·
Oh I was saying not sure if the person that gave me the advice wanted the credit for it (I was semi-joking). But I've gotten some very helpful tips and I appreciate anyone that has commented. I'm not sure what I'm doing yet so I'd love to hear any other opinions either on how to install in my situation or on what brands or models of speakers to use. I never mentioned budget, but I'd kind of like to keep in the range of 2-400 per speaker, I don't really need to go nuts, unless I'm really getting a good value for a speaker that is slightly higher. I guess if there are any in-wall recommendations for my situation, I'd be open to hearing them as well. I see now that Polk has a deal until Friday.......get a free Polk Audio PSW111 ultra-compact powered subwoofer (a $300 value) OR save $300 on a select Polk Audio sub priced above $300 when you purchase $499 or more of qualifying Polk Audio home speakers. So any Polk recommendations would be good if anyone is a fan.

A few more details in addition to the pic of the living room that I posted. Ceilings are a shade over 8.5 feet. Fireplace mantle is right about 4.5 feet so the tv would be mounted right above that. Main couch directly in front of the tv will be approximately 13 feet away from the tv. I really want to try to explore in wall front left, right and center speakers. I think the left and right will work, even if it means I lose the wall sconce lights. The center speaker I'm a little worried about, hopefully one fits above the tv. This way I will avoid in ceilings all together.

#15 ·
What you choose and buy - is your option and call

My recommendation for the Boston VSi in-wall speakers stand - some real

good close-out prices (that I linked earlier)

I for sure, will take the Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 subwoofer, over the Polk subs

or other budget subs, even if they have 12" woofers
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDAVI7BL/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-7-10-175-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-Black/1.html

However if you can stretch a little more - the HSU STF-2 would be better.

Some Polk fans may drop in to give some recommendations

Enjoy the adventure

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24379425

What you choose and buy - is your option and call

My recommendation for the Boston VSi in-wall speakers stand - some real

good close-out prices (that I linked earlier)

I for sure, will take the Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 subwoofer, over the Polk subs

or other budget subs, even if they have 12" woofers
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDAVI7BL/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-7-10-175-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-Black/1.html

However if you can stretch a little more - the HSU STF-2 would be better.

Some Polk fans may drop in to give some recommendations

Enjoy the adventure

Ha, it is an adventure for sure. I wish I had more time to dedicate just to this, I feel like I'm a little all over the place trying to make decisions while managing other renovation projects for the house. Thanks for the recommendations.

#17 ·

I'm in the same boat, but in North Jersey.

Trying to build a 5.1 Home Theater.  Budget for speakers is between 1400-2500.

I had Best Buy come out, but the Geek Squad guy that came out was not helpful.  He didn't listen to my constraints for in-wall speakers or budget no matter how many times I told him.

Regardless, I'm on my own now.

I'm going to do LCR in-wall, in-ceiling surround (due to limitations in my basement) and a standard sub.

FYI - I don't have room for LCR in-wall, so my contractor is building out the wall 4'' (i.e. a false wall) to give me more width and avoid a support column that prohibits mounting the center speaker below the tv.

I'm going tonight to listen to Speaker Craft, Martin Logan and B&W tonight.

This is the cabling I bought from Crutchfield, which the contractor is going to install, according to my specks.

AudioQuest FLX-X 16/2-250 feet 16AWG 2 Conductor In-wall Speaker Wire 

Item #: 703162250

Planet Waves HDMI15E 15ft HDMI Ethernet / High Speed / 3D 

Item #: 705HDMI15E

Monster MC 600SW-8M Subwoofer Interconnect 

Item #: 119SW6008M

Monster Cable MV-Quad CL-500 Quad Shield RG6 Per Foot 

Item #: 119MVQCLFT

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba24  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24380032

I'm in the same boat, but in North Jersey.

Trying to build a 5.1 Home Theater.  Budget for speakers is between 1400-2500.

I had Best Buy come out, but the Geek Squad guy that came out was not helpful.  He didn't listen to my constraints for in-wall speakers or budget no matter how many times I told him.

Regardless, I'm on my own now.

I'm going to do LCR in-wall, in-ceiling surround (due to limitations in my basement) and a standard sub.

FYI - I don't have room for LCR in-wall, so my contractor is building out the wall 4'' (i.e. a false wall) to give me more width and avoid a support column that prohibits mounting the center speaker below the tv.

I'm going tonight to listen to Speaker Craft, Martin Logan and B&W tonight.

This is the cabling I bought from Crutchfield, which the contractor is going to install, according to my specks.

AudioQuest FLX-X 16/2-250 feet 16AWG 2 Conductor In-wall Speaker Wire 

Item #: 703162250

Planet Waves HDMI15E 15ft HDMI Ethernet / High Speed / 3D 

Item #: 705HDMI15E

Monster MC 600SW-8M Subwoofer Interconnect 

Item #: 119SW6008M

Monster Cable MV-Quad CL-500 Quad Shield RG6 Per Foot 

Item #: 119MVQCLFT

Our usernames are going to confuse people. Where are you going to listen to the speakers? I'm curious as to what you listen to and what you think. My basement now has a SpeakerCraft 7.1 system but it isn't hooked up, so I've never heard them. Good luck.

#19 ·
I'm primarily going to use the speakers for a 5.1 home theater in the basement. The theater room is only 17x11.5. I can't fit rear satellites.

Best buy only had in wall speaker craft to listen to. I heard the: aim7mt, aimLCR 3, and the smaller AIM. The Martin Logan bookshelf sounded great. I wish they had the ML65's and ML80's in store.

I'm thinking AIM LCR3 for center, MT2 for L,R and satellites. Maybe the dynamo sub.

What make and model speakers did you get for each of your channels?

What amp and sub did you go with?

(I copied your username because this will most likely be only posting on this forum and I couldn't think of anything else at the time)

#21 ·
We install in ceiling LCR speakers for installs like yours all the time, and when you are looking for a combination of sound quality and aesthetics it is hard to beat. If you were installing a 55" TV 60" off the floor and installing the speakers in a 10" ceiling I would certainly try to talk you out of it...but you're not. This is the perfect install for an angled in ceiling speaker. However, I will say that the difference between a Triad (or even the Episode ES-HT700-ICLCR-5) is substantial. We have the Episode in our showroom right now just so that we could show a customer side-by-side how different a Triad IC Bronze/8 LCR really was.

If your budget is inflexible then go with a cheaper ANGLED BAFFLE speaker. Not a pivoting tweeter, but something that angles towards the seating area 15* or more. My recommendation would be the Triad Bronze/8 Sat ($400/ea retail) Bronze/8 LCR ($600/ea retail) or the Episode ES-HT700-ICLCR-5 for about the same price. If you have a good installer and he sells Episode but not Triad it is a good substitution. Very good. If you are cutting up your walls and ceilings it pays to do it right the first time.

I realize that increases your budget, but the front stage is the place to spend it. If you mostly watch movies and TV (less music) have the installer drop you down to the 300 series Episode in-walls to save a little. They will be sufficient for surrounds.

#22 ·
Are
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJBaylor  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24383881

We install in ceiling LCR speakers for installs like yours all the time, and when you are looking for a combination of sound quality and aesthetics it is hard to beat. If you were installing a 55" TV 60" off the floor and installing the speakers in a 10" ceiling I would certainly try to talk you out of it...but you're not. This is the perfect install for an angled in ceiling speaker. However, I will say that the difference between a Triad (or even the Episode ES-HT700-ICLCR-5) is substantial. We have the Episode in our showroom right now just so that we could show a customer side-by-side how different a Triad IC Bronze/8 LCR really was.

If your budget is inflexible then go with a cheaper ANGLED BAFFLE speaker. Not a pivoting tweeter, but something that angles towards the seating area 15* or more. My recommendation would be the Triad Bronze/8 Sat ($400/ea retail) Bronze/8 LCR ($600/ea retail) or the Episode ES-HT700-ICLCR-5 for about the same price. If you have a good installer and he sells Episode but not Triad it is a good substitution. Very good. If you are cutting up your walls and ceilings it pays to do it right the first time.

I realize that increases your budget, but the front stage is the place to spend it. If you mostly watch movies and TV (less music) have the installer drop you down to the 300 series Episode in-walls to save a little. They will be sufficient for surrounds.

Are you in North Jersey?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJBaylor  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24383881

The Triads look interesting, do you know the angle of those? I tried to find it on the website and either I'm missing it or it isn't listed (I'm noticing a lot of these companies don't put what the speaker angle is for some reason). I was looking at an angled Definitive speaker that looks very similar and I was thinking if I were to do in-ceiling, why were no angled baffle speakers recommended to me by either installer. This makes so much more sense to me than a pivoting tweeter and woofer speaker. The Episode 500 and the Klipsch that were recommended to me were 300 each anyway so an extra $100 per speaker isn't a big deal.

I know there must be some science to this but given 8.5 foot ceilings and the couch being about 13 feet back, is there an ideal angle? Or am I just getting too caught up in details that aren't really significant and an angle somewhere in the 30-45 degree range will suffice?

Thanks for the recommendation. This is part of the confusion and conflict for me though as I've had multiple installers say in-ceiling are fine but many other people in both responses and in a lot that I've read online says it is a bad idea that I will hate. It's definitely frustrating for a novice like me that just wants to do this right and not think about it again for many years!

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba23  /t/1517464/in-ceiling-and-in-wall-speakers-episode-or-klipsch#post_24384519

The Triads look interesting, do you know the angle of those? I tried to find it on the website and either I'm missing it or it isn't listed (I'm noticing a lot of these companies don't put what the speaker angle is for some reason). I was looking at an angled Definitive speaker that looks very similar and I was thinking if I were to do in-ceiling, why were no angled baffle speakers recommended to me by either installer. This makes so much more sense to me than a pivoting tweeter and woofer speaker. The Episode 500 and the Klipsch that were recommended to me were 300 each anyway so an extra $100 per speaker isn't a big deal.

I know there must be some science to this but given 8.5 foot ceilings and the couch being about 13 feet back, is there an ideal angle? Or am I just getting too caught up in details that aren't really significant and an angle somewhere in the 30-45 degree range will suffice?

Thanks for the recommendation. This is part of the confusion and conflict for me though as I've had multiple installers say in-ceiling are fine but many other people in both responses and in a lot that I've read online says it is a bad idea that I will hate. It's definitely frustrating for a novice like me that just wants to do this right and not think about it again for many years!

Regarding the angles of the baffles, I don't have know each model off the top of my head, but I know their Omni series is 45*, I assume most are in that realm. As you probably guessed, ideal distance would be roughly 8.5" in front of your listening position, though I have found that the sound very good even 12+ feet forward of that. Triad will custom paint the grills for you, so if you need to pull them into the room a little they won't be too obvious.

I truly don't think that you will be unhappy based on your setup. MUCH of what you read online is from armchair QB's who have never even heard the products in question, they simply perpetuate internet lore. In-room>In-wall>In-ceiling. This is basically true, but in your setup I would take an in-ceiling Triad (or the equivalent Episode) over a basic Klipsch (or similar) in wall any day. The quality of the speaker outweighs the less than perfect placement in this case.

#26 ·
So here's an update on my situation. I've been doing a lot of research and I met with another installer (in addition to talking to my contractor who is also familiar with AV equipment and installation). As a reminder, here is my living room (8.5 foot ceiling, couch about 13.5 feet from the tv/fireplace, tv will be mounted above fireplace).....

The most recent recommendation I was given was to do a sound bar for just the center speaker. I was against soundbars but the way it was explained to me, given the center channel handling most of the speech and thus having it closer to the tv (vs. an in-ceiling center), it makes a lot of sense to me. Any thoughts on that?

For the left and right, options are in-ceiling, in-wall, or on wall (don't want to do towers or bookshelf). There are pros and cons to each but I'm leaning towards in-wall or on wall (I would get rid of the 2 light sconces on the sides of the fireplace). My contractor said because the wall where I'm mounting this stuff is an exterior wall, to do in-wall I'm going to lose some insulation there which might not be a good idea. This is kind of pushing me towards an on wall for the left and the right front speakers.

Finally for the rear surrounds, the only debate was in wall or in ceiling and I was told to do in wall......it's just better to have the rear sound coming from the sides just above ear level vs. coming from over top of you. I'm not really concerned about that decision but the wire is already run for in wall at those spots so I'd probably just keep it there for simplicity.

So I think I've finally made progress to on-wall for front left and right, sound bar for center, and in-wall for rear surround. Hopefully that makes sense to do, I'd be curious to hear any comments. If that all sounds like it makes sense, now I need to find the equipment to accomplish this. I've done zero research on soundbars or on wall speakers.

One last question. Would you say it is a good idea to get all the same brand of speakers? It was explained to me that it really isn't a big deal if the soundbar is a different brand than the on-walls or the in-walls, as long as the levels all match and do what they are supposed to do.

Thanks!

edit.....So now I'm doing some research on sound bars and I'm reading a lot of people saying not to use a sound bar as a center speaker because that's not what it was designed to do, so now I feel I'm back to the drawing board. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.