Bookshelf speakers on budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am not trying to be cheap but I am also trying to get the best sound for the dollar. I have read the review for the following speakers and my local Best Buy store does not have all of these so I was curious what the different opinions are of these?

Klipsch B-20

Polk Audio 45B

JBL ES320

Cerwin Vega VE-5M

Pioneer SP-BS41-LR

I am currently using do not laugh Bose Lifestyle 25 speakers (rcvr died and could not use the sub without it.) A Yamaha YST-SW216 sub. An Integra DTR 5.5 AVR. My current set up is a 5.1 however when I get the next set of speakers it will be a 7.1, I also want to use the new spkrs as the main front with the Bose as the center, rear and rear surround. I am leaning towards the Klipsch not because of the sound of these but do in part to the reviews and have heard Klipsch spkrs many years ago. I just want an honest opinion the best option is to listen but I can only listen to a couple so thats where you guys come in.

Thanks Norman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Of those I'd consider the Pioneers (the sp-bs22lr are the newer version and supposed to be better) and the Polks. You can order online from Best Buy and return in store. Also consider places like Crutchfield that do in-home trials with free or low-cost returns. What exactly is your budget?
Phrehdd likes this.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

The sp-bs22lr may be the newer ones but they are also smaller 4" versus the 41 are 5.25". The 22's do not handle as much power and not that a 5.25 gets very low but it does get lower than a 4". I am going to spend less than 150.00 I am checking the prices on newegg e-bay and amazon as well as Best Buy. I have always wanted Klipsch or Polk but for what its worth the Pioneer have a very good review from a previous thread on this forum as well as other sites. I know these speakers will not compare to the higher dollar brands but compared to the Bose which I do have they have to be better.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwf477 View Post

The sp-bs22lr may be the newer ones but they are also smaller 4" versus the 41 are 5.25". The 22's do not handle as much power and not that a 5.25 gets very low but it does get lower than a 4". I am going to spend less than 150.00 I am checking the prices on newegg e-bay and amazon as well as Best Buy. I have always wanted Klipsch or Polk but for what its worth the Pioneer have a very good review from a previous thread on this forum as well as other sites. I know these speakers will not compare to the higher dollar brands but compared to the Bose which I do have they have to be better.

The BS22 is a good strong woofer - and has a measured lower -3db bass point, compared to
the BS41. Also, the BS22 can play loud - this is a couple of reasons why you do not see a new
version of the BS41.

The BS22 has more bass than the Klipsch B20, and will sound more smooth and clean.

Also, the BS22 goes lower than the JBL ES20

Now, what was that about a so-called smaller 4" driver?wink.gif

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 02-15-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I stand to be corrected maybe, I looked at the spec's for both. Both of them have a freq. range of 55hz - 20khz, the 41 has a power rating of 130w versus 80 for the 22. They were both designed by Andrew Jones so they are both good. I decided to go to Best Buy and listen to the Klpisch KB-15 Polk Tsx 100 and the Pioneer 22's for what it is worth in my ears the Klipsch sounded the brightest and it took the least amount of power to push them the next were the Polk not as bright, but overall pretty smooth ( I did like the sound ) the least favorite was the Pioneer. It maybe they were only being driven by am amp only rated at 8 ohms which could make a difference in power. I have read the reviews on both of the Pioneers and they speak very highly of them just more highly of other brands. My Integra DTR5.5 will handle a 6 ohm load quite well. I am not playing favorites nor do I know everything just based this on what I heard. As of now I am leaning more towards the Polk.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have owned some speakers, from all the brands you listed

Best Buy is not the best place to audition speakers - however, you can get some
sort of idea how they can/might sound. For the most part, I prefer more accurate
sounding speakers. Sometimes, the loudest is not the best.

Also most of the time, speaker marketing specs are too optimistic.

However in the end, it is what sounds best to your ears - enjoy the adventure

Old 02-15-2014, 02:05 PM

Liked: 11

I have the BS-41's setup for my gaming computer, fed with an old Sony STR-DG1000 receiver and they're simply incredible. Great bass response with a really nice top end as well. I can't think of a thing I'd honestly change with them.

For reference, I've owned Magnepans, ML, Mirage, Paradigm, B&W, and my current home theater is all Def Tech, My car is running with Morel and Dynaudio speakers, so I've listed to a lot of different high-end gear. Go for the 41's, they're getting hard to find!

Living Room: Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D 70", VSX-1121-K, HTPC, iNUKE 3000DSP, DSP1124P, PS4, PS3, 360, Wii-U, DefTech SM65's, Mythos Eight, SM55 surrounds, Twin Marty's under construction.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

HT labs measurements

Bass response

BS22 -3 db at 63 hz

BS41 -3 db at 67 hz

B20 -3 db at 82 hz

ES20 -3db at 84 hz

Old 02-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Liked: 14

How would the Polk R150 sound compared to the Pioneers bc I found a deal on them for $75. I know they are older.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate the input I do not want to make a poor choice. My rcvr puts out at 8 ohms 85wpc @.08 thd. at 6 ohms 120 wpc @.08 thd. I do not want to fry whatever I buy.Its not that I listen to everything loud all the time mostly the volume is lower or maybe at half when watching movies. Of course there are times when no one is home that I turn it up.I like the idea that the Pioneers are rated at 6 ohms plus they are cheap. I know spec.s do not always tell the story sometimes your ears are the best judge. On paper the BS22 seem good maybe a tad better than the BS41, I did like the sound of the Polks not harsh just pleasant sounding. I agree going to BB is not the best place to audition but they do have a selection to choose from. I guess I need more convincing on the Pioneers it just seems if you buy cheap you get cheap, I had an older Pioneer rcvr that put out 110 wpc  during a thunderstorm it fried and I replaced it with an Onkyo that was rated with less (65 wpc.) and was completely blown away with the sound. Based on that I am leery of Pioneer.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am not trying to convince you to buy the Pioneers. The BS22 is still one of the better deals
around - Plus the series (2) has more detail and definition, compared to the series (1).

Some people do prefer the Polk, and Klipsch over the Pioneer speakers - your call.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw5963 View Post

How would the Polk R150 sound compared to the Pioneers bc I found a deal on them for $75. I know they are older.

I would pretty much walk as fast as I could from them - they are near bottom Polk.
However, some people do like them.

For a $100 budget - my choice >
Pioneer BS22 on sale

And this Teac speaker
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/TEACLSH265A/TEAC-LS-H265-2-Way-5-1/4-in-Reference-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair/1.html#!more

Old 02-15-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I respect your opinion! I just thought you were hooked on Pioneer. Yes the BS22 are a great deal but what is your opinion on the Polk 45B or the TSi 100? On E-Bay they have the Polk 45B ( from Polk Audio ) for 129.00 plus free shipping. Last question concerning Pioneer considering they are a 6 ohm spkr is it correct to assume they will play louder and handle more power than an eight ohm spkr.( Given that the source unit can handle a 6 ohm load? ) By the way those Teac's look good at the price any other suggestions?

Norman

Old 02-15-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot I am trying to stick within a budget of 170.00 or less. As long as the total including shipping does not exceed the 170.00 I am good. I know there are deals out there some good some bad. Given these limitations if your were buying older refurbished etc. what other brands to consider.

Norman

Old 02-15-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Okay I respect your opinion! I just thought you were hooked on Pioneer. Yes the BS22 are a great deal but what is your opinion on the Polk 45B or the TSi 100? On E-Bay they have the Polk 45B ( from Polk Audio ) for 129.00 plus free shipping. Last question concerning Pioneer considering they are a 6 ohm spkr is it correct to assume they will play louder and handle more power than an eight ohm spkr.( Given that the source unit can handle a 6 ohm load? ) By the way those Teac's look good at the price any other suggestions?
Norman

I am not a Polk Monitor/TSi/TX fan - however, you may like them

It is more than ohms - it is also sensitivity - and how efficient a speaker is

I do not go by loudness - I go by the overall tonal balance - a speaker that
plays louder, does not mean it will sound overall better.

I want a speaker that is clean and smooth sounding, with good tight bass
I do not like mushy/boomy bass - or a hissy/spitty, and nasal/congested
sound. I also do not like a shouty, or a thin, or a cupped hands sounding
nature.

For the price, I want the best overall tonal balance I can get, with the best
detail and definition that I can get. Some speakers tend to cover-up a weak
midrange by boosting the treble, and then after a while ear fatigue will set in
Also boomy/mushy bass, can/will give me ear fatigue.

I will try to find some other suggestions - however, not much to choose from.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

On paper...
Speaker specs don't tell you enough to make a speaker choice, unless all you're interested in is volume.

While you'll often hear people comment "no one can tell you what sounds good but you," that's not entirely true - people's subjective opinions about audio quality are far more useful than the specs.
Quote:

I also want to use the new spkrs as the main front with the Bose as the center
You really want to get a center that matches the left and right.

No love for the Polk RTi4 at $180? Gets good reviews and you can always find matching speakers.

CSi3 goes on sale regularly at $90 - $100 or so it seems.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not sure if you stated it in your initial post..... But going the used route may get you into higher end speakers at a lower price. Too many people are so hung up on the low range of the speakers when most the we listen in the mid range... Vocals, many instruments. Besides you already have a sub.

Look into a well balanced set instead. Good speakers can reproduce subtle high resolution sounds with clarity. All the best.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

I have been looking its driving me nuts so here is the next question has anybody heard of the BIC DV62i? I was reading a review of them and they seemed decent for the money. As it stands Polk 45B is at the top, the Pioneer either the 41's or the 22's ( it just takes some power to drive them ) possibly the Klipsch B-20 depends on if they are still on sale. If I went older and used any suggestions?

Old 02-16-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have been looking its driving me nuts so here is the next question has anybody heard of the BIC DV62i?

Yes, and they are not for me - however, they may rock your boat.

Now, if you are talking about good reviews - go to Amazon and Cnet, most speakers
get good reviews from them.

What you choose is still up to you - I can play the Pioneer speakers loud in a 20 X 25
room - it comes down to your definition of loudness. I can hear a telephone ring in a
room that size.

You could be happy with most anything you choose - Do not get/go too crazy on the
merry-go-round.

Tags
Klipsch Synergy B 20 Premium 5 25 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair , Polk Audio Monitor 45b 2 Way Bookshelf Speakers , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Yamaha Yst Sw216bl Subwoofer , Jbl Es20bk 5 25 Inch 3 Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair Black , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr