Advice required on Floorstand Speakers and AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi all, I have a budget of about $2k for a pair of floorstand speakers and AVR (50% music, 50% movies), this to be placed in my living room. After shopping around, I have shortlisted down to the following speakers (btw $900 - $1500), have not auditioned any yet but wanted to get some inputs from this forum first:

1. Mission MX5

2. Wharfedale Diamond 157

3. Paradigm Monitor 7

4. Yamaha NS555

5. Boston Acoustics A360

AVR wise, I am only looking at Onkyo 626 which has bluetooth (important for me as I like to connect my Android phone to play songs).

Any advice on:

Speakers - which one should I get? The frequency response on Mission MX5 and Wharfedale is up on 20khz so not sure if it makes a difference.

AVR - Do you think Onkyo 626 is sufficient to power up the speakers? Unfortunately, an integrated Amp does not take in HDMI inputs etc for movies. Do share your thoughts bros!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Welcome to AVS Boony!

The first thing that will happen here is a squad will be around to firmly suggest you get a pair of monitor/bookshelf/standmount speakers plus a sub (or two) in lieu of floorstanders. wink.gif

So lets get it out of the way up front: Have you considered bookshelf speakers and a sub? If you have, and you just really want floorstanders, or a sub (or two) are in your future plans that's fine. It's your prerogative.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Giegar, thanks for the response. I have considered bookshelf speakers but decided to invest (with the budget I have) on floorstand speakers. It is indeed my plan (and I hope soon!) to supplement them with subwoofer/satellite speakers once I have saved up enough.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by boon1234 View Post

Hi Giegar, thanks for the response. I have considered bookshelf speakers but decided to invest (with the budget I have) on floorstand speakers. It is indeed my plan (and I hope soon!) to supplement them with subwoofer/satellite speakers once I have saved up enough.

Why not get the bookshelf speakers and sub now? Pair of NHT Absolute Zeros and an SVS SB/PB1000 would sound better and have a much broader frequency response down low than any of the towers you're looking at.

Substitute any pair of monitors instead of the NHT if you want, the results will be the same. Take a look at Ascend, Arx, Klipsch, PSB and others...

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #5 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
If you're going to go with floorstanders then add these to your list.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4917-focal-chorus-714v-tower-speakers-pr.aspx

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL717VHVN/FOCAL-Chorus-717V-716V-Dual-6-1/2-Tower-Speaker-PAIR-Havana/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL814V/FOCAL-Chorus-814V-Dual-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-BLACK-pair/1.html

http://chanemusiccinema.com/chane-arx-loudspeakers/A5rx-c?&osCsid=940adcb40dc3b4f6b045df8631e73e42
Quote:
1. Mission MX5

2. Wharfedale Diamond 157

3. Paradigm Monitor 7

4. Yamaha NS555

5. Boston Acoustics A360

Any advice on:

Speakers - which one should I get? The frequency response on Mission MX5 and Wharfedale is up on 20khz so not sure if it makes a difference

Speaker preference is subjective so you really need to listen to as many brands/models as you can and then make a decision.
kaiforce likes this.

Afro GT
post #6 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can replace the Boston A360 with the ARX - A5, I've heard both. The kortec tweeter just can't compete with the ARX. For around the same price, you get a lot better sound with the ARX.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Are you from the USA?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Oops.. no. From Singapore. So that price quoted are really in Singapore Dollars.

post #9 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Dude I love Singapore. I stayed in Geylang but it was still fun biggrin.gif
post #10 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oops.. no. From Singapore. So that price quoted are really in Singapore Dollars.

There should be a PSB dealer in Singapore. I would go and have a listen to a pair of PSB Image T6's. I've heard these a lot and really enjoy them. They have reasonable bass extension, which will hold you over nicely until you get a sub or two. Run with subs taking the <100Hz load, they will sound even better.

The Onkyo TX-NR626 will be fine to power these speakers to satisfyingly loud levels, provided your listening position is at a reasonable distance (3 - 3.5m). Also, don't be afraid to look at last years Onkyo models (like the TX-NR818) to get yourself as far up the Audyssey "food chain" as possible. This is the single biggest determinate of sound quality in AVR's these days, IMO.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Along with PSB - check out Monitor Audio, Mordaunt Short, Wharfedale and Boston

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #12 of 14 Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Dear all, after having the thoughts of buying a set of floorstands for a couple of years, today, i finally made the purchase.

It is interesting to lookback at how I started because before going for any audition, I had made the shortlist based purely on research (e.g. from WHATHIFI ratings, technical specs). Spent a lot of time tabulating the frequency response vs price vs size vs power vs sensitivity vs...

On paper, it helps to narrow down to the sets I want to audition.

Things change very fast when I went for the audition. My very first preference (on paper) is actually Mission MX5 (5 STAR WHATHIFI rating, big, within budget, looks nice) so this is the set i started with.  Overall, felt that the sound was too warm. In addition, i can't clear distinguish the instructments (e.g. guitar) from the vocals. A big disappointment.

Tried Dali Zensor 7 but felt that the vocals seem to "crack" a little at high volume.

I felt that Paradigm Monitor 7 sounded very good even if it is the smallest set I tried but it is a little beyond my budget and someone, I don't want too small a set of speakers.. (that's my personnal preference!)

Yamaha NS555 is so-so (sorry guys, very layman comments - I am not able to give very audiophile kinda technical comments)

Disappointed, I decided to audition more sets. Came across new models not in my "shortlist"... Infinity P363, JBL, PSB Image T6...

Usually, I would google the specs before even auditioning but I decided for once to [U]listen first[/U].

At the end, I really found that I like PSB Image T6. Clear separation between the vocals and the instructments, great bass and the mids and highs are crisp! Not sure what is the rating and the specs (just knew this brand is pretty decent). Managed to negotiate to a price within my budget (which is $2k which includes the AVR) and took it!!

I got the Marantz 6007 as part of the deal which is slightly below $2k including the PSB speakers. This AVR allows playback from my android phone via wi-fi (not going to get the best quality i know but an option i'll like to have nevertheless). HDMI, speaker wires, optical cable and delivery thrown in.

Ok, I know this is probably not the best bang for buck with the hundreds of options out there but somehow, this is the set I'll like.

Getting the set delivered to my house next week and so looking fwd!

Thanks for all the comments here!!

GIEGAR likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 PM

@boon1234, well done and congratulations on a great choice! This is a very satisfying outcome... a speaker you really like the sound of and a setup within your budget.

I very much agree with your description of how the T6's sound. You needn't concern yourself with specs now, other than to rest assured they are very good. You might find this review and measurements interesting: Stereophile: PSB Image T6.

When you get it all set up, be sure to introduce yourself in the PSB Speakers Owners Thread and post your impressions and some pics if you're inclined.

When you're ready for a sub (or two), my recommendation is Rythmik Audio. According to the Rythmic website, the distributor in Singapore is Econ-AV. Their website hasn't been updated for many years, but it looks like they can be found at The Adelphi.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-23-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Enjoy!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Ns 555 3 Way Bass Reflex Tower Speaker Each , Paradigm Monitor Series , Boston Acoustics A 360 Dual 6 5 Inch Woofer Three Way Floor Standing Speaker Each Gloss Black , Mission Audio Mx S Blk 2 Way Bookshelf Speakers Black 2 , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr626 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page