Yet another bookshelf on a budget thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I know you are all sick of these posts... Hell, I'm sick of them myself. I've spent the past 48 hours reading all the posts I could in order to get a good grasp on what to buy, but I think I've officially over researched. Here's my situation: I have an absolute cap of $150.00 to spend (I have an amazon credit, a baby on the way, and a wife with no patience contributing to the budget) on a 2.0 system for my bedroom. I already have a panasonic vsx-921 receiver, just need the speakers. This is EXCLUSIVELY for movie/tv viewing.

At first I thought of going with the BIC DV62Si's as they seemed to have a lot of positive reviews. It seems like they're no longer receiving too much praise, and that combined with the not so great aesthetics pushed me away.

It seems like everyone and their mother is advocating the pioneer BS22's, but I've had bad luck with pioneer in the past so I'm hesitant to get burnt again.

I feel like people are all over the place on the polk TSI-100. The consensus seems to be that they blow the t15's out of the water, but compete evenly against the DV52SI's and BS22's.

I have had decent experience with JBL in the past, so I'm leaning towards the ES20's, but they get no love in these forums which is a turn off to me (I love you guys too much)

I also considered the Cerwin Vega VE-5M, but it seems they also induce a lukewarm response.

Also in the ring are the primus 143's, sony bs3000's,

This is also tricky because amazon needs to be the seller in order for me to use the credit.

Help me Obi Wan Kanobi, you're my only hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
For $150 your going to have to live with what you can get for the money. Best buy has the AJ Pioneers, if you live close to one go check 'em out. They're great speakers for the money.

Or... Just use the $150 for baby stuff. They're always needing diapers and it'll make your old lady happy.
Dandlewood and trog69 like this.

post #3 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 07:00 AM

Liked: 14
I was doing some research and found these: http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/ES20/ES20_JBL_US.

If you live close to a Fry's, they have them for about twice the price, but I bet you could get them to price match.

Decent review: http://bookshelf-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/jbl-speakers-review.html

If you end up not liking them, you can always return 'em!

Good luck.
Dandlewood likes this.

Denon AVR 1709 + B&W 683s floors + B&W HTM62 center + Energy ESW-8HG Sub
Yamaha HTR-6050 + JBL Studio 530 + Studio 520C
post #4 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ulate View Post

I was doing some research and found these: http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/ES20/ES20_JBL_US.

If you live close to a Fry's, they have them for about twice the price, but I bet you could get them to price match.

Decent review: http://bookshelf-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/jbl-speakers-review.html

If you end up not liking them, you can always return 'em!

Good luck.

Do you have the ES20's? What do you think of them?
post #5 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I would probably give those JBLs a shot, if you have to buy from Amazon. Dennis Murphy, who designs very good speakers, sells a modified Pioneer BS22 for $150/pr, which is much improved over the stock model. http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/AALS.html
Dandlewood likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #6 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlewood View Post

Do you have the ES20's? What do you think of them?

I was having some issues w/ my bookshelf speakers, but that seems to be resolved. During my troubleshooting, I was researching value bookshelves and found those JBLs. Fry's also has some Klipsch onsale this week for Pres day--might be worth checking out. I only recommend brick and mortar, so that you can return if you aren't satisfied.
Dandlewood likes this.

post #7 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would probably give those JBLs a shot, if you have to buy from Amazon. Dennis Murphy, who designs very good speakers, sells a modified Pioneer BS22 for $150/pr, which is much improved over the stock model. http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/AALS.html

Thanks for the tip. Even the unmodified pioneers seem to be getting good buzz, but I just can't bring myself to like the way they look. That combined with my previous history has me a bit turned off to Pioneer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ulate View Post

I was having some issues w/ my bookshelf speakers, but that seems to be resolved. During my troubleshooting, I was researching value bookshelves and found those JBLs. Fry's also has some Klipsch onsale this week for Pres day--might be worth checking out. I only recommend brick and mortar, so that you can return if you aren't satisfied.

I WISH I lived near a Fry's. Unfortunately, I'm from Jersey so my options are a bit more limited. I went to BB the other day to test what I could, but their selection is pretty limited. From the list I posted above, all they had were the Polks and the Pioneers. In typical BB fashion, the pioneers had an issue (which I'm sure is purely attributable to BB) which made them constantly cut out. the Polks sounded okay, but nothing really thrilling.

In my main viewing area I've got a combination of Klipsch KF-28' floor speakers, Energy CC-10(I think) center, Energy CB-10 surrounds and a mirage sub. While it's a little mismatched, I really love the SQ. Maybe the reasons the Polks don't do anything for me is because I'm not used to the 'warm' sound they produce as opposed to the type of sound Energy/Klipsch put out?

I actually thought the KB-15's that BB had on display sounded much better than the Polk's, but they're out of my price range.
post #8 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't let their past influence your decision, these are designed by a very well known speaker designer and have been around for long enough that any quality issues would likely be known.

If I were you, I would try used. Speakers hold up well over time, and you can get a lot more for your dollar this way. You can post your local Craigslist and we can browse through for any options to consider.
trog69 likes this.

Living Room

Computer
post #9 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Another article that lists a bunch. I would love to try the PSBs, those pioneers and am curious about the dayton audios(their subs seem to perform well).

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/a-great-bookshelf-speaker/

post #10 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Not that I'm sold on the pioneers, but would I need an amp or would my receiver be enough to get decent volume (I'm talking about immersive sound, not ear splitting sound) for HT purposes?
post #11 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not that I'm sold on the pioneers, but would I need an amp or would my receiver be enough to get decent volume (I'm talking about immersive sound, not ear splitting sound) for HT purposes?

No. It takes twice as much power to gain 3dB of SPL. Less than 1 dB is inaudible, and 10dB is a perceived doubling of volume, so 3dB is not a lot. However with say a 80 watt per channel receiver, getting only 3 more dB would require 160 watts. They would play plenty loud for you, if the speakers don't get loud enough, then it is more an issue with speaker choice than power.
Dandlewood likes this.

Living Room

Computer
post #12 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

If I did go the Pioneer Route, would you spend the extra 20 bucks for the BS41's over the BS22's?
post #13 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I did go the Pioneer Route, would you spend the extra 20 bucks for the BS41's over the BS22's?

The 41s regularly go on sale for much less than the 22s, but I would probably go with the 22s still. They look a hell of a lot better and most people seem to agree the newer series is a definite step up. If I were buying them though I would get those modified ones from Dennis Murphy, he upgrades the tweeter and crossover and creates a very good pair of speakers for $150.
trog69 likes this.

Living Room

Computer
post #14 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

The 41s regularly go on sale for much less than the 22s, but I would probably go with the 22s still. They look a hell of a lot better and most people seem to agree the newer series is a definite step up. If I were buying them though I would get those modified ones from Dennis Murphy, he upgrades the tweeter and crossover and creates a very good pair of speakers for $150.

yeah, they are pretty fugly. the 5 star reviews had me overthinking it, I guess.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, you rat bastards. I get it. I bought the pioneers. I'll post my thoughts this weekend when I get/install them.
post #16 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Okay, you rat bastards. I get it. I bought the pioneers. I'll post my thoughts this weekend when I get/install them.

did you get the altered or stock version?

post #17 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Got the stock version (needed to use that amazon credit)
post #18 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 393
LOL, I think everybody has come here with a low budget and 3 years later your building a theater! biggrin.gif
trog69 likes this.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

LOL, I think everybody has come here with a low budget and 3 years later your building a theater! biggrin.gif

It nearly turned you into a monster - look at what the Cambridge/Mordaunt Short family
did to you!

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #20 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I see you've already ordered, but I've heard good things about these, and everyone says they look much better in person.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044UHVOK?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links
post #21 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

I see you've already ordered, but I've heard good things about these, and everyone says they look much better in person.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044UHVOK?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Are those better than the pioneers? 35 bucks seems (well, 50 bucks after shipping) seems a little low for anything quality.
post #22 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 PM

Liked: 16
You have a newborn, the last thing you'll have time for is to sit around listening to the speakers. Well unless you want to play white noise to luk the baby to sleep. ;-)
post #23 of 29 Old 02-20-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are those better than the pioneers? 35 bucks seems (well, 50 bucks after shipping) seems a little low for anything quality.

They are on close-out pricing - they can work as surrounds, or small
satellite speakers

post #24 of 29 Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

Yeah I'm telling you. I was using a couple of them till I got my 4 JTR single 8's. When the theater is completed I am going to put the Mordaunt Shorts back in the family room with my old Denon 2112 for a little 5.1 sound system. Get this, the wife requested it eek.gif
.SKITTLE. likes this.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #25 of 29 Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Installed Speakers yesterday and broke them in for about 6 hours. Here are my thoughts:

1) Obviously way superior to shoddy TV speakers.
2) Very clear and crisp sound.
3) It lacks the same enveloping field that I feel when listening to my CB-10's
4) It has more bass response than I expected, but still definitely needs a sub
5) Feels a little quiet.

All in all, they're good enough that I'm not going to bother returning them, but I don't feel like they're anything special. For 129 bucks you can't really expect to much, I suppose. It'll tide me over until I can afford some serious speakers. I think the next addition will be a small sub, when I can afford it. Any suggestions on small (front firing) subs that would pair well with these guys?
post #26 of 29 Old 02-22-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Installed Speakers yesterday and broke them in for about 6 hours. Here are my thoughts:

All in all, they're good enough that I'm not going to bother returning them, but I don't feel like they're anything special. For 129 bucks you can't really expect to much, I suppose. It'll tide me over until I can afford some serious speakers. I think the next addition will be a small sub, when I can afford it. Any suggestions on small (front firing) subs that would pair well with these guys?

6 hours - they were ready to go after 13 minutes!

My sub recommendation would cost $300 - I do not recommend, the sort of
mushy/boom type subs.

The Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 subwoofer, is a good tight and articulate sub

post #27 of 29 Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

6 hours - they were ready to go after 13 minutes!

My sub recommendation would cost $300 - I do not recommend, the sort of
mushy/boom type subs.

The Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 subwoofer, is a good tight and articulate sub

I put my pink noise cd on loop and ran some errands. Turned it off when I came back in the bedroom later, lol. Thanks for the rec. on the sub. It looks gorgeous, especially with the dark walnut. I'm looking for something a little smaller though. I agree on avoiding the mushy/boom subs. I have a polk sub that's like that and kind of hate it.
post #28 of 29 Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I put my pink noise cd on loop and ran some errands. Turned it off when I came back in the bedroom later, lol. Thanks for the rec. on the sub. It looks gorgeous, especially with the dark walnut. I'm looking for something a little smaller though. I agree on avoiding the mushy/boom subs. I have a polk sub that's like that and kind of hate it.

I do not recommend going any smaller, it is not really that big

16.7 (H) x 12.0 (W) x 14.2 (D)

post #29 of 29 Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

+1 It will probably be more than 3 years before I can build a theater, but plans are slowly forming. I just need a way to wire the knowledge on this forum directly to my head! Oh and way more money!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic America Dv62si Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer Vsx921k 7 1 Channel 3d Ready Av Receiver Black , Polk Audio Tsi100 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black
Gear in this thread - Tsi100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page