AVS Forum banner

Ascend Sierra-2

69K views 398 replies 88 participants last post by  Theriddler07sms 
#1 ·
Reactions: tdogroeder
#2 ·
I think it's extremely smart of dave to allow people to satisfy the inevitable upgrade itch without switching manufacturers or even speaker cabinets. I hope there's lots of impressions in this thread for me to read over and over until I'm able to do the upgrade for my own Sierras

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj325is  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24379544

I think it's extremely smart of dave to allow people to satisfy the inevitable upgrade itch without switching manufacturers or even speaker cabinets. I hope there's lots of impressions in this thread for me to read over and over until I'm able to do the upgrade for my own Sierras
There are impressions in the dedicated Sierra thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/849859/the-official-ascend-acoustics-sierra-thread

And over on Ascend's own forum in a few threads as well. Here's the main one:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?5557-New-Sierra-2-impressions

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveralone777  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24389801

Would you rather have a sierra-2 or a sierra tower NrT? The towers are only a little bit more money. If space wasn't an issue which would you rather have?

Really depends on your preferences...I guess...but here is what the man behind both designs had to say. I know many are in awe of the S2 but something has to be said about a true 3 way like the tower vs. a monitor trying to do both....JMO.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4978-Sierra-2-Development-Thread&p=47049#post47049

#6 ·

Quote:

Would you rather have a sierra-2 or a sierra tower NrT? The towers are only a little bit more money. If space wasn't an issue which would you rather have?

I would take the bookshelf with the RAAL tweeter over the tower with NrT in a second - assuming you are using a decent sub(s). Honestly I have owned a lot of different speakers in the 38 years I have been involved with this hobby/obsession, many more expensive then the 2s, Dave has created something very special with his custom tweeter and woofer. For the past month I have listened to more 2 channel music in pure mode since I bought my first Oppo 5 years ago. I've also spent about $400 over the past month on adding to my SACD collection because of these speakers. They are very musical for their size, it is almost scary what they are capable of and they also do a great job as part of my HT.

#7 ·

Quote:

I have both Sierra Towers with the RAAL tweeters, a new set of Sierra-2s, and a set of Sierra-1s with the NRT tweeters. When I got the new Sierra-2s, I compared them directly with my Towers in a stereo system in my shop, in a quick switched AB-AB configuration. Currently the Towers, and my NRTs are in that configuration and the Twos have been integrated as surrounds in my theater system.

Long story short, the Sierra-2s are so very close in performance to the Towers, it's downright astonishing. They would be MY pick over the NRT Towers without question. I would have expected the dynamic performance due to the dedicated midrange to be a serious advantage in the three way design of the Towers, but I have to tell you Seas did an absolutely incredible job with the new mid/bass driver in the Sierra-2s. Not nearly as much performance delta there as I would have expected.

Jay

Reactions: boeckelr
#8 ·
I do in fact...believe if you pressed Dave on which one...he'd likely chose the S2....but some weight ought to be given with regards to Dave referencing music or HT as a priority in his post. I know exactly how the RAAL sounds...as I have one in my STC so I'm not that outta touch with reality on how they would compare....YYMV.

I guess we all hear differently...maybe, if I was to do it over again, I could have gone with the RAALs...but I'm in a very happy place with my current setup...

Ps: I have a guy coming over this weekend to hear the Towers as he is looking to buy the S2...maybe I should tell him not to come...because its not a good frame of reference & he'll be disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzione  /t/1516615/need-suggestions-for-bookshelf-speakers-in-difficult-room/30#post_24385859

I wish to publicly thank Bill for his kind invitation to listen to his setup. Apparently the beast that is the SVS SB13 Ultra will also be on hand for the occasion. Bonus!

I just know this is going to cost me way more than I had in mind when I first started down this path...surprise surprise

It's so gratifying to see people like Bill and others on this thread (and AVS in general) genuinely extend their helping hands to fellow hobbyists.

Such individuals really do stand out amongst other posters.

What say the last 2 posters...

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24391981

Ps: I have a guy coming over this weekend to hear the Towers as he is looking to buy the S2...maybe I should tell him not to come...because its not a good frame of reference & he'll be disappointed.

What say the last 2 posters...

Plans have already been made, I think it would be unnecessary at this point to cancel. The NRTs are great, the RAALs even better. If you can send a mono signal to the Horizon, you can demonstrate what the RAALS bring to the party.

Jay

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24392118

Plans have already been made, I think it would be unnecessary at this point to cancel. The NRTs are great, the RAALs even better. If you can send a mono signal to the Horizon, you can demonstrate what the RAALS bring to the party.

Jay

Well...I'm looking to gain another local guy to have as a contact for any potential down the road GTG...I've meet a lot of good people over the years...you don't have to look any further then the avs member who has lent me his Svs SB13u for nearly 3 months. I'm fully aware of some of the speakers this member (fuzzione) has auditioned and I think the Ascends will be a strong contender for him(btw he contacted me)...if he decides to go with the S2's..this would give me an excellent opportunity to hear them for myself.

Anyhow he started his own thread on the subject here @ AVS...my only concern is his room size but I know the SQ will be there with the Sierras!!!

I would call them but my senses tell me you'd likely need to pre-order them as they're assembled when all the cabinets arrive....with limited stock on hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveralone777  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24392418

I've had my plans set for months on towers but now I think I am going to get the Sierra-2's. I am going to order these with dual Rythmik lv12r. Does anyone know if they have the 2's ready to go or are they built when ordered?

#12 ·
I ordered a pair of these and a pair of Philharmonitors to see which set I like better in my room. I've never heard either of these products so I'm looking forward to the comparison.

#14 ·
Ii will. Hopefully I'll be able to convey what I hear.

#15 ·
Hey Guys...I had just had a wonderful time with another member who came by today to demo my Sierras. As a matter of fact he stopped by a local HiFi shop and auditioned some Psb Synchrony One B...to use as a barometer...for his visit.....other recent auditions include the Focal Aria 906 & 807v, MA and Def Tech to name a few. I know the S2's are on his radar(so are the psb) and he has already talked with Dave and awaiting a reply. He never heard a ribbon or for that matter the RAAL and within a very short time he was able to discern its likely the best tweeter he has experienced...he really like the One B but he preferred RAAL in the STC....he is now actually thinking about going with the RAAL Horizon across the front....he enjoyed the Towers with the NrT but in his words the Horizon is the best speaker he has heard to date...I agree, with him... the RAAL it's so realistic and lifelike it must be heard to be fully understood.

Anyhow...I just thought I'd chime in to complete an earlier post...I don't know if he'll post his experiences here on AVS...in a current thread he has started. I welcomed him to post his thoughts about today. I don't want to start paraphrasing what he said...he can better describe what he heard....if inclined..

Cheers, Bill

Btw...he really liked the subs too....never experienced

Reactions: fuzzione
#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24399368

Hey Guys...I had just had a wonderful time with another member who came by today to demo my Sierras. As a matter of fact he stopped by a local HiFi shop and auditioned some Psb Synchrony One B...to use as a barometer...for his visit.....other recent auditions include the Focal Aria 906 & 807v, MA and Def Tech to name a few. I know the S2's are on his radar(so are the psb) and he has already talked with Dave and awaiting a reply. He never heard a ribbon or for that matter the RAAL and within a very short time he was able to discern its likely the best tweeter he has experienced...he really like the One B but he preferred RAAL in the STC....he is now actually thinking about going with the RAAL Horizon across the front....he enjoyed the Towers with the NrT but in his words the Horizon is the best speaker he has heard to date...I agree, with him... the RAAL it's so realistic and lifelike it must be heard to be fully understood.

Anyhow...I just thought I'd chime in to complete an earlier post...I don't know if he'll post his experiences here on AVS...in a current thread he has started. I welcomed him to post his thoughts about today. I don't want to start paraphrasing what he said...he can better describe what he heard....if inclined..

Cheers, Bill

Btw...he really liked the subs too....never experienced

#18 ·
It doesn't fit my space so I've never considered it, but Horizon's LCR has always sounded like it would be a great setup.

'Course now I'm dying to hear the new Sierra 2's

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24394064

Ii will. Hopefully I'll be able to convey what I hear.

Awesome George! I just upgraded my Sierra-1 NrT's to the Sierra-2's and could not be happier. The combination of the custom RAAL tweeter and new SEAS woofer are nothing short of spectacular.

Definitely looking forward to your comparison!

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24411763

Awesome George! I just upgraded my Sierra-1 NrT's to the Sierra-2's and could not be happier. The combination of the custom RAAL tweeter and new SEAS woofer are nothing short of spectacular.

Since you had the NRTs, and have upgraded to the Sierra-2 drivers, I wonder if you could comment on what your thoughts are concerning the bass output. Several have commented that they don't have the bass output of the Sierra-1s, and some (including myself) think that they are very close in the depth of their bass reproduction, just cleaner, tighter, and probably more linear in frequency response.

Bass performance is usually considered a significant performance parameter, obviously if a subwoofer is integrated into the system, this topic loses much of it's value. I'm still curious as to what other folks impressions are of the Sierra-2s bass performance.

#22 ·
Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to bookshelf speakers, but is there a bookshelf speaker out there that wouldn't benefit from a sub? I just can't picture them producing good bass with their smaller enclosures, compared to a floor standing tower.

Again, I'm new to these so a serious question.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24412700

Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to bookshelf speakers, but is there a bookshelf speaker out there that wouldn't benefit from a sub? I just can't picture them producing good bass with their smaller enclosures, compared to a floor standing tower.

Again, I'm new to these so a serious question.

Beyond that, subs are important to systems with tower speakers as well. Bass response is heavily influenced by room acoustics, as well as speaker position, and listener position. Mains are rarely placed for optimum bass performance, and multiple subs are effective at maintaining more even response across multiple listening positions throughout the space.

The thing is, some forego a sub/subs for any number of reasons, and some speakers perform acceptably well for some people without subwoofers. Personal preference is the operant phrase here.

Jay

#24 ·
Ah yes, the bass. How can I describe the difference? With the NrT's which had the standard Sierra-1 woofer, I had a set of the open-ended Q-Plugs in the ports. I have not tried them with the Sierra-2's. That alone gave the initial impression of "more", or fuller bass with the new woofer. I will say that for the majority of what I have listened to a sub would not be missed. Bass may not dig as deeply but it is faster, tighter and more detailed. I'd say other than the amazing RAAL tweeter producing very realistic highs and the SEAS woofer doing an amazing job down low, the mids are simply outstanding. They can take gobs of power without complaint and have great dynamics.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24411763

Hey, I just realized that you're in the Northeast Ohio thread. You're welcome to come by when I get them and help me compare. Another set of ears would be helpful. Unless you have animal allergies, that would be a problem.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab  /t/1518709/ascend-sierra-2#post_24414337

Hey, I just realized that you're in the Northeast Ohio thread. You're welcome to come by when I get them and help me compare. Another set of ears would be helpful. Unless you have animal allergies, that would be a problem.

I'm in Strongsville. I was at G-Bartman's GTG back in 2010 and you were there. Let me know when you have both speakers and I will check my schedule for a good time that works for us both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.