Noob question - How do these BIC America DV62/64 speakers match up with Emotiva UPA-700 Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
joatguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saint Anthony
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to the HT scene and have been reading through the forum for a while now. I will be using the Emotiva UPA-700 Amp, I have chosen the following set of BIC speakers and would like to get some input on -
1. If they match with each other
2. If they match with the Amp
3. For the price range, can I get anything better that would go with this AMP. (price is around $800)
4. Are these speaker too big/powerful for this amp, will a cheaper set of speakers do more justice?

4 Bookshelf - BIC DV62si
2 Tower - BIC DV64
Center channel - BIC DV62CLR-S
Subwoofer - Formula F-12

Amazon link/wishlist
joatguru is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
flyng_fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 3,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I would say that your amp is actually a step up from your speakers. You don't need a lot of power for those BIC's. That amp will definitely give you all they've got.
joatguru likes this.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
flyng_fool is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
The Bic is entry level - and has the sound of entry level - it will not be too much
for that Amp. A cheaper set of speakers will not bring justice to the Amp.

I would put more money into the L/R and sub - then save for the rest.

Your call - Have fun
joatguru likes this.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #4 of 20 Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
joatguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saint Anthony
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what would be a step up for the L/R sub? I have read that if the they are not from the same series then they May not work properly, something on the lines of sound not moving properly. If I get expansive L/R sub would I have to upgrade everything?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
joatguru is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 02-19-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatguru View Post

So what would be a step up for the L/R sub? I have read that if the they are not from the same series then they May not work properly, something on the lines of sound not moving properly. If I get expansive L/R sub would I have to upgrade everything?
It is key for the front 3 channels to timbre (tone, voice) match for mainly HT.
The surrounds can be different - The subwoofer can be different from them all
What is the max amount, that you can spend at once?
joatguru likes this.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #6 of 20 Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
joatguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saint Anthony
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

It is key for the front 3 channels to timbre (tone, voice) match for mainly HT.
The surrounds can be different - The subwoofer can be different from them all
What is the max amount, that you can spend at once?

Not planning to spend more than $1500 (shipping, tax everything included) on speakers and amp, maybe get 5.1 instead of 7.1 for now and put that money towards LRC and sub
joatguru is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatguru View Post

Not planning to spend more than $1500 (shipping, tax everything included) on speakers and amp, maybe get 5.1 instead of 7.1 for now and put that money towards LRC and sub

What is the size of your room - are you open to bookshelf for the front L/R speakers?
With a subwoofer this is a good way to go, and can help you in the quality department.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #8 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
joatguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saint Anthony
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

What is the size of your room - are you open to bookshelf for the front L/R speakers?
With a subwoofer this is a good way to go, and can help you in the quality department.

The size of the room is 13x18, I am totally open to bookshelf if it can give better bang for the buck
joatguru is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,401
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Do you already own that Emotiva amp? You would also need a pre-amp to go along with that... I would recommend just buying a home theater receiver, you get everything in one unit, it will have bass management and room correction, and cost a hell of a lot less. Considering your budget you shouldn't spend more than $350 on amplification total, the speakers in your price range are designed to work well with a receiver and you aren't going to gain any sound quality from having a discrete amp.

I would recommend the Denon AVR-E400 receiver if you want 7.1, or the X1000 if 5.1 is enough. Given your room size is not that big, I don't know how well 7.1 would work. You need some space behind the seating position for the rear surrounds, so if your couch is against a wall, 5.1 is more appropriate.

With $1500, here is how I would spend the money:

Denon AVR-X1000: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVRX1000/DENON-AVR-X1000-5.1-Channel-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay/1.html
Cambridge Audio S70: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS70BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S70-5-3-way-Floorstanding-Speakers-Each-Black/1.html
Cambridge Audio S50: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS50BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S50-4-3-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-Black/1.html
Cambridge Audio S30: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS30BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S30-4-2-way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Black/1.html
SVS PB-1000: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB-1000

This is a much better way to spend the money. These speakers are a good upgrade over those BICs, the sub is night and day better, and this receiver will do everything you need, and comes with Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction software to configure and calibrate your speakers and sub (very important).
kaiforce and joatguru like this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #10 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
joatguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saint Anthony
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Transmaniacon, I wanted to build a system that is towards the higher end but little bit at a time. That's why I wanted to get the amp and some not so expensive speakers for now. I do not have a preamp at this time but wanted to use HTPC's Xonar DX for now, towards the end of the year wanted to upgrade the preamp.
You configuration looks great, infact I had a similar configuration in mind with a E400 with all Polk speakers. But that fails to excite me, besides from having a good sounding audio, I want to satisfaction of building it myself, including spending hours on room correction biggrin.gif, and maybe even build some DYI speakers down the line, that's why i wanted to buy separate components. Buying AVR sounds dead endish to me.. I know I am new in this area and i might not be making sense, sounding childish, but I am pretty much fixated on this route...
joatguru is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,401
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatguru View Post

Thanks Transmaniacon, I wanted to build a system that is towards the higher end but little bit at a time. That's why I wanted to get the amp and some not so expensive speakers for now. I do not have a preamp at this time but wanted to use HTPC's Xonar DX for now, towards the end of the year wanted to upgrade the preamp.
You configuration looks great, infact I had a similar configuration in mind with a E400 with all Polk speakers. But that fails to excite me, besides from having a good sounding audio, I want to satisfaction of building it myself, including spending hours on room correction biggrin.gif, and maybe even build some DYI speakers down the line, that's why i wanted to buy separate components. Buying AVR sounds dead endish to me.. I know I am new in this area and i might not be making sense, sounding childish, but I am pretty much fixated on this route...

If you want to build up a nice system slowly, then I would start with 2.1. Get a nice sub and pair of bookshelves, and later on add the rest. Here is the reason why, electronics change so rapidly, every year there is a new AVR model coming out, and things like HDMI 2.0 is on the horizon, meaning it is much easier to buy a speaker that will last versus a piece of electronics. Speakers that are well maintained will last decades, so this is where you should put the money.

I am not sure how well the sound card will work as a preamp, a preamp is more than just a DAC, it does video and audio processing, volume control, source selection, and add EQ.

If you are dead set on having separate components, here is what I would do. Buy a receiver with pre-outs, this lets you add a discrete amp later on and use the receiver as a preamp. This way you have all the functionality to start now, but have the option to expand later. You could go with the Marantz SR5008, which can be had refurbished for $630 at www.accessories4less.com. Then you can still get the SVS PB-1000 sub, and a nice pair of bookshelves like the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #12 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,297
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatguru View Post

. Buying AVR sounds dead endish to me.. I know I am new in this area and i might not be making sense, sounding childish, but I am pretty much fixated on this route...
But you are going to need an AVR to act as a pre-amp to take the audio in before sending it to the AMP. And that also will require a pricey AVR as they don't all have pre-outs for hooking up an external amp.

Or you could get a pre-amp like the Emotiva UMC-200.

However you are spending a bit much on the amp and receiver and not enough on speakers. Generally you want to spend 25%-33% of your budget on AVR or AMPs and rest on speakers.

For $1500 I like the Cambridge set-up with the SVS PB-1000 suggested above.
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

For $1500 I like the Cambridge set-up with the SVS PB-1000 suggested above.
+3

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #14 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
joatguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saint Anthony
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the input, I am getting a preamp, its just not included in my $1500 budget, that's separate, and Emotiva UMC-200 is exactly what i have in mind.

OK, so I guess I can replace the original BIC 7.1 with the Cambridge 5.1 for a little bit extra, the only issue is the extra price of sub, $200 vs $500...

But from reading through everyone's posts its seems the bottom line is, BIC or even Cambridge speakers are not good enough from a Emotiva amp and preamp setup... something more on the lines of Diamond will do them justice... So I guess one route could be to go with 2.1 Diamond, that $500 for 2 bookshelf and $500 for sub and $500 for amp, that fits my $1500 budget. What do you guys think about that?
joatguru is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,297
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatguru View Post

Thanks for all the input, I am getting a preamp, its just not included in my $1500 budget, that's separate, and Emotiva UMC-200 is exactly what i have in mind.

OK, so I guess I can replace the original BIC 7.1 with the Cambridge 5.1 for a little bit extra, the only issue is the extra price of sub, $200 vs $500...

But from reading through everyone's posts its seems the bottom line is, BIC or even Cambridge speakers are not good enough from a Emotiva amp and preamp setup... something more on the lines of Diamond will do them justice... So I guess one route could be to go with 2.1 Diamond, that $500 for 2 bookshelf and $500 for sub and $500 for amp, that fits my $1500 budget. What do you guys think about that?
You are going to much better off if you for get about getting an AMP and Pre-amp and end up with a $500 AVR and then put the money saved there towards better speakers
$1500 on speakers gives you more options to get higher level speakers. You will get more quality sound by doing that.

As cool as having am amp is they are really not necessary for 90% of hometheaters.

If you have your heart set on an AMP I would just suggest you START with an AVR with pre-outs for expansion of adding an external amp in the future.

Its your money there are better ways to spend it. And personally I'd rather see you go with that suggested Cambridge set up with the Denon receiver or maybe buy the one above that one and put the money saved to a larger subwoofer.

People here with AMPs generally have already spent at least $1000 on their front left and right speakers alone. You are looking to spend $1,000 on all your speakers which is a huge difference.

If you are running just 2.1 set-up there is in no way a need for a AMP and Pre-Amp a AVR would be plenty on its own. I really suggest you drop the idea of the need for a separate amp. Most of us here just use are AVR's and they have plenty of power.
Again I suggest that cambridge set-up with SVS subwoofer mentioned above!
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
joatguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saint Anthony
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bummer, gotta go back to the drawing board. The speakers you recommended will run around $1400 after shipping and all that, a decent AVR will be like $400, that $1800, that too for a 5.1 system not 7.1. The room is a dedicated media room with 7 per-wired outlet. AND I am not very happy to see my amp option go... biggrin.gif

I guess I can get a $400 AVR and get a 7.1 speaker system for around $1100 shipped. There is another thread going around with the same budget, I will join in on that. Thanks guys
joatguru is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,297
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 171
rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatguru View Post

Bummer, gotta go back to the drawing board. The speakers you recommended will run around $1400 after shipping and all that, a decent AVR will be like $400, that $1800, that too for a 5.1 system not 7.1. The room is a dedicated media room with 7 per-wired outlet. AND I am not very happy to see my amp option go... biggrin.gif

I guess I can get a $400 AVR and get a 7.1 speaker system for around $1100 shipped. There is another thread going around with the same budget, I will join in on that. Thanks guys
Just cause your room is wired for 7.1 does NOT mean you have to go with that.

I find that a 5.1 with quality speakers can sound better than 7.1 with cheaper speakers. If you want the best possible set-up buy the system in stages so you can spend more over all. Start off by getting 2 pairs of Cambridge S30's with an S50 center and when you get your tax return this year get the S70 towers

Another option could be
-Polk RTi6's for front left and right, $250 shipped
-Polk CSi5 for center channel, $275 shipped
-Polk RTi4's for surrounds, $175 shipped
-SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer, $500 shipped
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatguru View Post


even the Cambridge speakers are not good enough from a Emotiva amp and preamp setup... something more on the lines of Diamond will do them justice... So I guess one route could be to go with 2.1 Diamond, that $500 for 2 bookshelf and $500 for sub and $500 for amp, that fits my $1500 budget. What do you guys think about that?

HOGWASH - the Cambridge S30 is good enough - I have owned them - I do not
recommend or agree to poor quality speakers.

However, what you buy is up to you - do not get too carried away with some reading.

I also have experience with Bic speakers - the Cambridge is in another league

Your option/choice and call.

Now if you want to go even higher - then I can recommend some higher options at a
good price - however, you would have to start 2.1 or 3.1

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #19 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,297
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

HOGWASH - the Cambridge S30 is good enough - I have owned them - I do not
recommend or agree to poor quality speakers.

However, what you buy is up to you - do not get too carried away with some reading.

I also have experience with Bic speakers - the Cambridge is in another league

Your option/choice and call.

Now if you want to go even higher - then I can recommend some higher options at a
good price - however, you would have to start 2.1 or 3.1
Agreed Cambridge speakers are great. They come highly recommended from many people. I am a Polk fan-boy myself and I recommend Cambridge's more than Polk's

It was never that the speaker weren't good enough for an AMP if was just that you were wasting your budget on an AMP and Pre-AMP when a simple AVR it all you need.
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

It was never that the speaker weren't good enough for an AMP if was just that you were wasting your budget on an AMP and Pre-AMP when a simple AVR it all you need.
+1

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic America Dv 62clrs 6 Inch 2 Way Center Channel Speaker , Bic America Venturi Dv64 2 Way Tower Speaker Black Single , Emotiva Upa 700 Seven Channel Power Amplifier , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr E400 , Cambridge Audio S70 Tower Loudspeakers , Cambridge Audio S50 Speaker Center Channel Dark Oak , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Marantz Sr5008 , Wharfedale Diamond 10 2 Black , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers Pair Black
Gear in this thread - E400 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off