XTZ Speakers - Another high quality internet direct speaker company? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By avfanatic1
  • 1 Post By GIEGAR
  • 3 Post By Mr_Owlow

post #1 of 30 Old 02-22-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone here had much experience with XTZ speakers? They are an internet direct speaker manufacturer based on Sweden and are supposed to be pretty popular oversees, although I can barely find any info on them on AVS. They are supposed to use SEAS and other high quality drivers but are manufactured in China. They have some pretty good reviews and also have a partnership with DIRAC. Their 99.25 and new 100.33 speakers look to be a great value and look killer. I'm curious how well they compare to manufacturers like Ascend.

http://www.xtzsound.com
GIEGAR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
EU members might able to chime in with this, I have been wanting to demo these speakers. They are using expensive drivers.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #3 of 30 Old 02-23-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well based on the number of responses I guess these speakers really aren't too well known- hopefully some ambitious member will order a pair for a demo tongue.gif Their new cinema line looks amazing: http://www.xtzsound.eu/cinema-series#arrow

For those interested in reading some reviews here are a couple:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/329020-xtz-9926-mkii-reference-bookshelf-review/#arrow
http://www.avforums.com/threads/xtz-99-36-a-review-uk-first.854923/
post #4 of 30 Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There's a UK website with a very similar name to this one - AVForums.com, so that's the place to look for info in English about UK or EU stuff.

A number of results show up in a Google search
post #5 of 30 Old 02-23-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfanatic1 View Post

Has anyone here had much experience with XTZ speakers?

Yup, me. Lots of experience actually...

It started with being the first person to ever get anything from their Chicago distribution center about 2 years ago (so new was the US venture that the person I was dealing with turned out to be the president of the company). That was a W16.10 subwoofer, which was one of my earliest reviews. After seeing the quality these guys have I actually bought a W12.16 subwoofer for myself and used that for the better part of a year (since sold). This past Christmas they were having a 20% off sale so I picked up some 93.21 speakers, which I'm listening to as I type this. And just yesterday I received a W12.18 subwoofer and 95.24 speakers for an upcoming review.

Everything I've seen and heard from XTZ thus far has been designed and built to very exacting standards, with a lot of attention to detail. Sadly their website stinks, giving most a bad impression. I've personally tried very hard to convince XTZ that the website needs a lot of refinement for them to be taken seriously, but it hasn't resulted in much in the way of changes I'm afraid. It's a shame too because I imagine others would be as happy with their products as I have been. The few people I've convinced to give them a try have all been very pleased, and to this day still own what they purchased.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 30 Old 02-23-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Where can we find pricing for these speakers?

post #7 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep120794 View Post

Where can we find pricing for these speakers?

US prices here: XTZ Shop - The US
tdogroeder likes this.
post #8 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Yup, me. Lots of experience actually...

It started with being the first person to ever get anything from their Chicago distribution center about 2 years ago (so new was the US venture that the person I was dealing with turned out to be the president of the company). That was a W16.10 subwoofer, which was one of my earliest reviews. After seeing the quality these guys have I actually bought a W12.16 subwoofer for myself and used that for the better part of a year (since sold). This past Christmas they were having a 20% off sale so I picked up some 93.21 speakers, which I'm listening to as I type this. And just yesterday I received a W12.18 subwoofer and 95.24 speakers for an upcoming review.

Everything I've seen and heard from XTZ thus far has been designed and built to very exacting standards, with a lot of attention to detail. Sadly their website stinks, giving most a bad impression. I've personally tried very hard to convince XTZ that the website needs a lot of refinement for them to be taken seriously, but it hasn't resulted in much in the way of changes I'm afraid. It's a shame too because I imagine others would be as happy with their products as I have been. The few people I've convinced to give them a try have all been very pleased, and to this day still own what they purchased.

They don't list anything about who the maker of their ribbon tweeter is, and the individual models as number is kind of dumb imo, it makes me think of radio stations. The main photo of the 99.36 speaker is the back, they should fix that. But the speakers do sound interesting but I personally would stick with well known ID brands until these get some good review and many of them.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #9 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Their ribbon looks like a Fountek design.... but I didn't see that stated anywhere.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Their ribbon looks like a Fountek design.... but I didn't see that stated anywhere.

I wonder how good these speakers sound, but I would still go with the phils or sierra 2.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #11 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

They don't list anything about who the maker of their ribbon tweeter is

Neither do 95% of the other companies making speakers, so I don't see where that should be considered an issue. Quite the contrary actually; perhaps XTZ should be commended for listing any of the manufacturers they use.

Quote:

and the individual models as number is kind of dumb imo, it makes me think of radio stations.

I'm not sure what their naming convention has to do with anything. They're a European (Swedish) company, so it's not uncharacteristic to name things with numerical references. Look at most of the cars from the likes of BMW, Mercedes, Peugeot, Ferrari, et al. Those companies name their products using numbers, but you won't find too many who consider that to be dumb. It's simply how things are done in other parts of the world.

Quote:

The main photo of the 99.36 speaker is the back, they should fix that. But the speakers do sound interesting but I personally would stick with well known ID brands until these get some good review and many of them.

Yup, the website needs help - no question there - but the products are definitely worth considering. They do also have the standard in-home trial, so you can try anything before you buy it.

post #12 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Neither do 95% of the other companies making speakers, so I don't see where that should be considered an issue. Quite the contrary actually; perhaps XTZ should be commended for listing any of the manufacturers they use.

I'm not sure what their naming convention has to do with anything. They're a European (Swedish) company, so it's not uncharacteristic to name things with numerical references. Look at most of the cars from the likes of BMW, Mercedes, Peugeot, Ferrari, et al. Those companies name their products using numbers, but you won't find too many who consider that to be dumb. It's simply how things are done in other parts of the world.
Yup, the website needs help - no question there - but the products are definitely worth considering. They do also have the standard in-home trial, so you can try anything before you buy it.

Several internet direct companies do list there speaker manufacturers, but it's not a huge issue to me just more of a curiosity.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #13 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I noticed their new Cinema series and it looks really promising, A 1x12 inch and 3x12 inch subwoofer, a front/center MTM speaker with a 4 tweeter array, and a surround speaker with di-pole or triple di-pole modes using wide range speakers to the side. It would be really cool to have a pair of those massive sub towers in your living room, and the sound, at least according to their own texts, must be seriously good and loud.

Link
post #14 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Owlow View Post
I noticed their new Cinema series and it looks really promising, A 1x12 inch and 3x12 inch subwoofer, a front/center MTM speaker with a 4 tweeter array, and a surround speaker with di-pole or triple di-pole modes using wide range speakers to the side. It would be really cool to have a pair of those massive sub towers in your living room, and the sound, at least according to their own texts, must be seriously good and loud.

Link
I agree love to know the pricing of them.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 AM

I found a Swedish article on the series, and it states:

SUB 3×12 18.000 SEK/unit = 2660 USD/unit

SUB 1×12 7.000 SEK/unit = 1030 USD/unit

M6 6.800 SEK/unit = 1000 USD/unit

S5 9.500 SEK/pair = 1400 USD/pair

The article is from February, so it might have changed slightly, but I guess we'll have to wait until they officially launch on the shop site.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I've made preliminary arrangements to get a review system comprised of the Cinema Series - in the October time frame - so hopefully I'll get to hear them myself. M&K and Kreisel are the only other companies I know of that make something similar, so the design is rather unique.

post #17 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 99.36 looks very intriguing for the price. Would you consider it worth the risk vs something as the Sierra Tower w/ RAAL?
post #18 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocorpse View Post
The 99.36 looks very intriguing for the price. Would you consider it worth the risk vs something as the Sierra Tower w/ RAAL?

I just reviewed some XTZ speakers with a ribbon tweeter, but they were the 95 Series and not the 99's. Still, the article might contain some relevant information because it's probably the same tweeter. I can't compare them to the Sierra's though - I've never heard those myself.

post #19 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 05:48 AM

I was passing through the little town where XTZ is based, and decided to stop by for a listen. I tried the following speakers: Divine 100.49 and 33, 99.36 and 25 MKII Piano, the 95-series surround package, and the new Cinema M6 with two 99W 12.16 subs.

Divine

The 100.49, the full-range model, is huge, and sounded spectacular, they seem very linear, and true to the music. They have two 10" alu woofers from Seas so they can reach deep, and the ceramic, german made mid and tweeter elements sound very pure and detailed. The 100.33 is in a d'Appolito / MTM configuration with two mid/woofer elements, and work both as a center and front speaker. They sound a bit more lively in the bass than their big brother, and I really like their presentation. If I had the money I think I would go for the 33, possibly with a sub, though they almost don't need it, though, if I had the room, 49's all the way.

99 Series

The 99 series sound pretty damn great as well, as they have ribbon tweeters they are a bit more sensitive to height, the tweeter has to be ear height for optimal sound. They are great musical speakers, though not quite as linear, quite as high resolution as the Divines, they are truly great for the price. The sound of the stand mount 99.25 and the floor standing 99.36 are very similar, though of course the floor standing model works well without a sub. The 99.25 can apparently also be used as a center by turning the tweeter 90 degrees and placing it on the side.

95 Series

The 95 Series was set up in a home theater set-up with two 95.44 as fronts, 95.33 as center, and two 95.24 as surrounds and their 8" sub. X-men Origins: Wolverine was playing and I jumped through a few scenes of that, and I was surprised at how good it sounded, considering the price. The speakers in this series are all quite large, larger than corresponding speakers in the 99 series, and can handle a pretty high sound level. Compared to the 99 series there was a drop in sound quality, but not by as much as I would have thought, and the explosions and music and fighting of the movie sounded realistic and intense. I would be very happy with this in a home theater 5/7.1 setup, but for music I would pick 2 99.36 instead.

Cinema M6

The Cinema M6 was set up for music listening in a 2.2 setup. They sounded great, very clear and detailed, and could play loudly without loosing that clarity. They separated instruments well and made the music come alive. With some recordings they were very unforgiving, and revealed how badly the songs were mixed. They look cool, and the shape of the cabinet seems to have a few advantages; they still play towards the center of the room when wall mounted, they work as a center both below and above the screen, and there are less standing waves inside the cabinet.

Naming

I also asked about the numbers in the names of the various models and what they signified. The series are after how good they are, so 100 is better than 99 is better than 95 and so on. The first number of the model name is number of drivers, so 36 has 3 drivers, 44 has 4. The second number is a bit more arbitrary, but usually a 3 means a center, and then its size. in the Cinema series it's a bit more straight forward, M for monitor, 6 for number of elements, S for surround, 5 elements.
Djoel, Transmaniacon and GIEGAR like this.

Last edited by Mr_Owlow; 07-12-2014 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Added headings
post #20 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was passing through the little town where XTZ is based, and decided to stop by for a listen. I tried the following speakers: Divine 100.49 and 33, 99.36 and 25 MKII Piano, the 95-series surround package, and the new Cinema M6 with two 99W 12.16 subs.
Thanks for posting this. There are (unfortunately) too few XTZ owners in NA, so information like this is pretty rare.

Quote:
Naming

I also asked about the numbers in the names of the various models and what they signified. The series are after how good they are, so 100 is better than 99 is better than 95 and so on. The first number of the model name is number of drivers, so 36 has 3 drivers, 44 has 4. The second number is a bit more arbitrary, but usually a 3 means a center, and then its size. in the Cinema series it's a bit more straight forward, M for monitor, 6 for number of elements, S for surround, 5 elements.
I've often wondered how they went about naming their speakers. It's a bit of a mouthful, but to an extent it makes sense to me now.

If you happen to stop by again tell Olle I had 'hi'.

post #21 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Thanks for posting this. There are (unfortunately) too few XTZ owners in NA, so information like this is pretty rare.

I've often wondered how they went about naming their speakers. It's a bit of a mouthful, but to an extent it makes sense to me now.

If you happen to stop by again tell Olle I had 'hi'.
You're welcome. Hope they start to spread in North America as well, seems like they should be a hit, good pricing for the content, well designed, good sound, and buy and try, so there isn't as much risk. The site needs a bit of work, as stated above, but hopefully this will happen.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
@Mr_Owlow

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings. Good information.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 AM

Forgot to write about the CD and Amp:

Both look good and feel solid, made with an aluminum front and good connectors. The remotes feel solid and are in aluminum as well. The buttons are all the same size and in a consistent pattern, which is good looking, but means you have to read what each button does, not that user friendly.

The CD100 works well, has all the connections you need, both analog an digital, and the screen dims, which is a huge plus in my book. Sounds good and neutral, to my ears it doesn't color the sound.

The Class A 100 D3 amplifier can switch between Class A and Class AB, has a good DAC (AD 1955), digital inputs; one optical and four coax, as well as four line in inputs. It looks like a classical amplifier and seems sturdily built. The amplification is powerful and doesn't seem to color the sound at all, and I like the option of pure Class A for fine listening and Class A/B for movies, parties and rocking out.
post #24 of 30 Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I'm a bit confuse, isnt XTZ a software for room correction, I see they have a room correction kit, is this the same company from years ago, now making speakers, amps, & CD player?

Djoel
post #25 of 30 Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
I'm a bit confuse, isnt XTZ a software for room correction, I see they have a room correction kit, is this the same company from years ago, now making speakers, amps, & CD player?

Djoel
They started with speakers and subwoofers, then branched out to include Room Analyzer kits, a CD player, integrated amp and power amp, and earphones. My guess is they want to cover the whole spectrum of your audio experience.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 AM

The prices were set for the Swedish market a few days ago, so I checked and they have come up on the american website as well.
post #27 of 30 Old 08-20-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I frequent AVForums.com in the UK, the reviewers there have reviewed XTZ speakers, and a few people have managed to borrow that XTZ intergrated amp. Several on that forum have bought XTZ products and seem extremely pleased with what they heard.

The general buzz in the UK is very and consistently positive.

If you go to

httP://www.xtz.se/

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/overview.html

On the top right you will see listed two sites each for Sweden, UK, USA, and Germany, one is for Info the other is for shopping.

The amp is pretty sweet and not crazy money either at about US$1000 -

http://www.xtzsound.eu/en/products/e...a100-d3-svart#

http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/Ampli...ss-ap100-black

The most popular speakers are the XTZ 99 series -

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/...ii-series.htm#

Notice the don't use MTM style Center speakers, in most case, the Center is just a bookshelf laid on its side. Though on the higher end they do make some MTM Centers.

All indications are that the Divine series are truly breath taking speakers -

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/...100-49-walnut#

And for the price, they should be -

http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/Speak...49-piano-black

In a more economical speaker, the 95 series at least looks good -

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/...95-series.htm#

http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/Speak...-44-black-matt

Their latest Subwoofer with THREE 12" drivers and a continuous 900watt of power is enough to make anyone drool -

http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/Speak...t-studio-black

This is part of the new cinema series.

Here is a photo of the Cinema 6 Front along side the 3x12" Subwoofer -

As another person said, the Front speakers have amazing sound stage and are apparently very good for home cinema.

So, generally, the reaction, at least in the UK, has been very positive for all the XTZ products.

And yes, the are the guys who make the Room Analyzers.

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/...a-analyzer-ii#

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/...alyzer-ii-pro#

Steve/bluewizard
post #28 of 30 Old 08-20-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Notice the don't use MTM style Center speakers, in most case, the Center is just a bookshelf laid on its side. Though on the higher end they do make some MTM Centers.

That's actually what I do when my 93.21's are hooked up. I've done that with other speakers as well, and it seems to work fine.

post #29 of 30 Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTZ USA View Post
Thank you Steve.

Our goal is to bring the long-term success ... to North America ...

We now offer free shipping on all speakers ... under our improved ... best in the industry 60 days to audition the speakers at your own home.

Jason
Jason - XTZ USA

In both Europe and in the USA, I'm concerned about people abusing your 60 day free trial. I think that would be more of a problem in the USA, as we can be a bit self-centered. Presumable you take some safe guards.

Still, at AVForums.co (in the UK), all responses to all XTZ products have been very positive. Too bad your UK dealer shut down. It was very handy for people in the UK to have a show room they could go to, and the 30 day trial, plus trial products that could be passed from person to person was very nice. I guess I'm primarily thinking of the amp. Lots of people tried it and lots of people loved it.

I tend to like amps with Tone Controls, but the XTZ is definitely one I would consider without tone controls. Just one criticism, I don't think in my entire life I've seen a product with Coaxial outputs. Though I now have to confess, in a discussion, I came across a BluRay that was Coaxial only. But it would seem that TWO Optical, TWO Coaxial, and though a bit more hardware, One USB would be a better choice. That would seem to cover every possibility.

Still a very sweet and very powerful amp with a massive power supply backing it up.

By the way, I have the same user name on the AVForums in the UK. XTZ once asked me to be a reviewer for them. Though that didn't work out. It was still nice to be asked.

Steve/bluewizard
post #30 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 06:35 AM

The Cinema Series speakers were reviewed over on Audioholics, overall very positive words. Audioholics Review
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page