Surround Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 99

Due to a very tall curtained window which spans nearly one whole side of a room, I'm in a situation to either...

A. Mount the speaker on the wall but above the window, but it would basically be right at ceiling height. How would I control the sound in this case? I have MAYBE a foot to play with from the top of the curtain to the ceiling. 

B. Go with a architectural ceiling speaker. If so, how far into the room should I go? Is there a proper ratio? I'm not anti-ceiling speakers for surrounds, as many are, because I have heard them set up right, and they can sound amazing. I think there is more thought needed, and less margin for error, but I don't know what those considerations would be. I'm of the thinking that the ceiling speakers would be made with height in mind, and might be the best course of action. 

Also, stands are out. If my klutzy ass doesn't trip over them, dogs or kid would destroy them. :D

Help, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 99

?bump?

Sorry... anyone know?

post #3 of 4 Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

Due to a very tall curtained window which spans nearly one whole side of a room, I'm in a situation to either...

A. Mount the speaker on the wall but above the window, but it would basically be right at ceiling height. How would I control the sound in this case? I have MAYBE a foot to play with from the top of the curtain to the ceiling. 

B. Go with a architectural ceiling speaker. If so, how far into the room should I go? Is there a proper ratio? I'm not anti-ceiling speakers for surrounds, as many are, because I have heard them set up right, and they can sound amazing. I think there is more thought needed, and less margin for error, but I don't know what those considerations would be. I'm of the thinking that the ceiling speakers would be made with height in mind, and might be the best course of action. 

Also, stands are out. If my klutzy ass doesn't trip over them, dogs or kid would destroy them. biggrin.gif

Help, thanks!

(2)RF-82ii (1)RC-64ii (2)RC-62ii
(2)Exodus audio tempest-x 15" 200l sealed enclosures (1)Velodyne CHT-12Q
Onkyo 705
Behringer EP4000
NAD C275BEE
AMC 2N100-3
post #4 of 4 Old 03-10-2014, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

Also, stands are out. If my klutzy ass doesn't trip over them, dogs or kid would destroy them. biggrin.gif

Help, thanks!
what gear do you run? For someone with an abundance of advice on the klipsch owners forum if you are even considering in ceilings anything audio related you have to say is now suspect. Get a small woofer and equally small horn, mount everything inwall and inceiling and set a crossover. Isnt that what you last recommended????

(2)RF-82ii (1)RC-64ii (2)RC-62ii
(2)Exodus audio tempest-x 15" 200l sealed enclosures (1)Velodyne CHT-12Q
Onkyo 705
Behringer EP4000
NAD C275BEE
AMC 2N100-3
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page