Hey guys... advice please :) Trying to make speaker selections! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

This is who I bought my BIC's from.  When I bought mine, I wanted horns so I went that route. He however, highly recommended these:

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1212&sc=27

My setup:

Yamaha RX-V773 with WIFI & Bluetooth

Bic Acoustech PL-28 II center

Bic Acoustech PL-76 Newversion tower fronts

Bose 601 Series IV towers rear

Cerwin-Vega ATS-SAT4 front presence

Advent ASW-1200 sub

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL000 View Post

Yes I'm satisfied with my infinitys.  They're nice looking and matching my living room decor (this is important for me, maybe it's a bit of OCD) and the sound is good.  I really can't complain.  I know they're not high end speakers but I like they way they sound.  Yes I want to at least match them or preferably exceed them as I plan to do more movie watching and music listening in my new room.

I like the Bics big and bold design, all black with the champagne colored cones, dual woofers with a giant front port, the huge center channel to fit into my large tv stand, they just appealed to me.  But of course I'm not going to select speakers based only on looks.  I had read so many great reviews on the Acoustech speakers.  After hearing them, I just feel like they are not what I want.  Kind of want to go with a dome tweeter.  I think maybe the horn tweeter combined with the high sensitivity was not right for me.  No offense to any Bic fans, my dad was a huge old school Bic fan, but I want to go in another direction.

FWIW..... BIC/Acoustech are dome tweeters; they use a 1" aluminum dome tweeter set back in a 6.5" square horn. So they are a nice blend of a dome tweeter and a compression horn tweeter (like Klipsch uses). Also just because I like the speakers and think they are great doesn't mean you have to like them. BUT I still really am not understanding what you don't like about them. And I will tell you this placement is everything..... Maybe what you should do is try your infinity speakers in the exact same locations as you have the BICs and see how they sound. Maybe the issue isn't the speakers maybe its the room and the placement.

Shawn
post #33 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Quote:

Yes I'm satisfied with my infinitys.  They're nice looking and matching my living room decor (this is important for me, maybe it's a bit of OCD) and the sound is good.  I really can't complain.  I know they're not high end speakers but I like they way they sound.  Yes I want to at least match them or preferably exceed them as I plan to do more movie watching and music listening in my new room.

I like the Bics big and bold design, all black with the champagne colored cones, dual woofers with a giant front port, the huge center channel to fit into my large tv stand, they just appealed to me.  But of course I'm not going to select speakers based only on looks.  I had read so many great reviews on the Acoustech speakers.  After hearing them, I just feel like they are not what I want.  Kind of want to go with a dome tweeter.  I think maybe the horn tweeter combined with the high sensitivity was not right for me.  No offense to any Bic fans, my dad was a huge old school Bic fan, but I want to go in another direction.

FWIW..... BIC/Acoustech are dome tweeters; they use a 1" aluminum dome tweeter set back in a 6.5" square horn. So they are a nice blend of a dome tweeter and a compression horn tweeter (like Klipsch uses). Also just because I like the speakers and think they are great doesn't mean you have to like them. BUT I still really am not understanding what you don't like about them. And I will tell you this placement is everything..... Maybe what you should do is try your infinity speakers in the exact same locations as you have the BICs and see how they sound. Maybe the issue isn't the speakers maybe its the room and the placement.
yeah I was pretty sure the BIC's were dome tweeters just placed in a horn. I knew I read that somewhere here awhile ago.

Definitely good advice to try infinities in same position
post #34 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Yeah that's actually exactly what I did when I received my Bics.  Unhooked my Infinitys in my living room and put the Bics right in their place. 

post #35 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 10:17 AM

Out of curiosity, did you even unbox your PL-89II's?  I think it is also important to remember that often times, a speaker that is designed for a home theatre application more so than say a 2.0 setup will sound different. The speakers will work as a whole as they compliment each other more so than as individuals.

My setup:

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #36 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post

Out of curiosity, did you even unbox your PL-89II's?

Who cares if he did? Even if he misjudged the sound of the BICs or should have spent more time with them, he's ready to spend more money on speakers. He has moved on and has the budget to easily buy something better. Why can't you let the poor guy alone?
Quote:

I think it is also important to remember that often times, a speaker that is designed for a home theatre application more so than say a 2.0 setup will sound different. The speakers will work as a whole as they compliment each other more so than as individuals.

That sounds made up to me. Certainly, there are speakers for HT usage that are designed with a tweeter and a large driver for high dynamics that are meant to be matched with a subwoofer for below 80hz content. Otherwise, a speaker should perform well for 2 channel use regardless of whether or not it was designed for HT.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #37 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Who cares if he did? Even if he misjudged the sound of the BICs or should have spent more time with them, he's ready to spend more money on speakers. He has moved on and has the budget to easily buy something better. Why can't you let the poor guy alone?

Honestly yes I did unbox my PL-89s and hook them up.  Listened to both music and movies.  I honestly think I'd probably like them for movies/tv because all of the dialogue was coming through loud and clear.  I just didnt like the way they sounded for music.  I debated hard on what to do, and I decided to buy other speakers.  I will either see if I can send the Bics back, or resell them.  Either way, I should get some money back.  But my decision has been made, I'm not keeping the Bics.  Like people keep saying, speaker choice is more about personal preference, right??  To anyone owning the Bics and loving them, I'm so glad to you.  I wanna find some speakers that I love too with no regrets.

post #38 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:

I debated hard on what to do, and I decided to buy other speakers.  I will either see if I can send the Bics back, or resell them.  Either way, I should get some money back.  But my decision has been made, I'm not keeping the Bics.  Like people keep saying, speaker choice is more about personal preference, right??  To anyone owning the Bics and loving them, I'm so glad to you.  I wanna find some speakers that I love too with no regrets.

Right - Bic is Bic - they are budget friendly.

Now time to move on - I would focus on your next deal

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #39 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

That sounds made up to me. Certainly, there are speakers for HT usage that are designed with a tweeter and a large driver for high dynamics that are meant to be matched with a subwoofer for below 80hz content. Otherwise, a speaker should perform well for 2 channel use regardless of whether or not it was designed for HT.

I care, and if you don't like it too bad. Last I had read on the BIC thread, he hadn't received them yet so I was just curious if he did get them and if he listened to them or not. I am fine with the fact he wants something different, thus why I threw him some links to a few other speakers I was fond of.  The reason I went after him some was he was being way to vague and not getting to the point of what he is looking for. I also asked him some specific questions and asked for a comparison to what we know that he is fond of, the Infinity's. We can throw a thousand different speakers his way but all for not if he doesn't give us more info. 

Seriously? You never heard of of matching speakers before?  You show me any pro on here that will tell you not to at least match the front 3 speakers and most will tell you it is better to match them all.  There is a reason for that. Go get on some various speaker manu sites and you will see where they have speakers and listed them in Home theatre speakers and stereo speakers. On some the towers, for example, will be listed in both, others they will not be. ! I have read on some sites, the speakers description will say something like,"Specially designed for home theatre use." So you can sit there and tell me that what I said is not true???? BS!  While I agree with you that most probably would excel in either application, there are also some that may not. Things like crossovers and enclosure designs could absolutely make a speaker a strong performer for one thing but not another.  For example, I do not have the PL-66's yet but I have zero doubt that they were absolutely designed to compliment the Pl-89's and the PL-76's and they were not designed to compliment a set of B&W's.

My setup:

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #40 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I care, and if you don't like it too bad. Last I had read on the BIC thread, he hadn't received them yet so I was just curious if he did get them and if he listened to them or not. I am fine with the fact he wants something different, thus why I threw him some links to a few other speakers I was fond of.  The reason I went after him some was he was being way to vague and not getting to the point of what he is looking for. I also asked him some specific questions and asked for a comparison to what we know that he is fond of, the Infinity's. We can throw a thousand different speakers his way but all for not if he doesn't give us more info. 

Yeah I did get the 89s in and hook them up.  Thanks for the input and recs.  I got it narrowed down to a few choices.  It sucks being in a small city; no chance to audition speakers or even get a look at them in person, unless I wanna do some traveling.  The few electronics stores near my place literally only carry a few lower end Klipsch and Polk speakers.  Actually I'm going down to Columbus, OH tomorrow for the Arnold Classic and might be able to check out some audio stores there or on the way. 

post #41 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I care, and if you don't like it too bad.

The OP didn't create the post to talk about the BIC speakers. He created the post to talk about new ones. He could report you as off topic if he wanted to--and probably should if you keep harassing him.
Quote:

Seriously? You never heard of of matching speakers before?  You show me any pro on here that will tell you not to at least match the front 3 speakers

LOL

I've probably posted more times about a center channel needing to match than you have posts on AVS. That has nothing to do with whether or not speakers should sound good in 2 channel AND for HT usage. Go argue with someone else. rolleyes.gif

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #42 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

woah woah, I never said I'm an audio expert, thus my reason for coming here and asking some advice.  Yes true, I dont know what I want, and am trying to figure that out!  And yes, I cannot find many reputable reviews on the Boston Acoustics M Series speakers!  I found a few people saying, "these speakers are awesome" or, "these speakers suck."  Not much to go off of to make an informed decision.  Matter of fact, regarding their MCenter and MSurround, all I found was mostly negative sentiment around them.  I do want a matching speaker line, so I'm trying to take all of this into consideration.  Instead of chiming in to condescend, you could have gave some advice or your opinion.  I was asking if the more expensive Boston Acoustics, PSBs, KEFs would be a significant improvement over the cheaper Fluance for the extra money.  I'm trying to find a balance between performance, value and asthetics.  Some people here gave great advice and links, but many of them did not pass my "looks" test.  And lastly, I already admitted right off the bat that I did not give the Bics a fair shake.  But I've never heard speakers out of the box that sounded that bad.  Yes my cheap Sony bookshelves in my bedroom sound better IMO, so that being said, why would I want to keep the Bics!  

Sounds like you do not like forward sounding sound. I would suggest you look for silk dome tweeters which tend to be less in your face. Alternatively, a number of manufacturers are coming out with folded ribbon tweeters which could fulfill the "airy" requirement. Look at Golden Ear's site. Their speakers have been getting rave reviews in the last two CES meets. Also, I would reconsider the Onkyo and instead look at Marantz, Yamaha, or Denon. These receivers produce treble that is less aggressive and probably more to your taste.

Lastly, speakers vary widely in sound quality, and are a very individual choice, so it might benefit you to go listen at some high end shops so you can identify the characteristics that are most important to you, which should help you narrow your search.
Sako7STW and DL000 like this.
post #43 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.  Yes I would describe the Bics as very "in my face" treble which honestly seemed a little bit too much, especially since I do like listening to my music pretty loud at times.  What you said makes me want to give the Martinlogan Motion 40s more consideration with the folded ribbon tweeter.  I have found a used pair for $800 which is the same as two PSB T5s would cost me.  Regarding the Fluance XL7F and PSB Image T5, from everything I've read they both have a more "laid back" treble.  So far it seems like the PSBs might have slightly better highs and dispersion, based on all the reviews I've read, so I'm probably leaning in that direction.  But those Motion 40s are quite a steal at $800 I'd think. 

post #44 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 05:51 PM

I have listened to the Martin Logan 40's and I REALLY liked them. They have a very full and detailed sound that I liked but I didn't really crank them so not sure the volume capabilities but I would bet they would be good. 

My setup:

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #45 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:

I have listened to the Martin Logan 40's and I REALLY liked them. They have a very full and detailed sound that I liked but I didn't really crank them so not sure the volume capabilities but I would bet they would be good. 

Yep. I demoed the 40s and they sound great. They're a steal at $800 for the pair.

Might want to take a look at these. $1K for the pair (BOGO). They are a warm, laid back sounding speaker.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065M340/Boston-Acoustics-M340.html?avf=N&nvpair=FFBrand%7cBoston+Acousticsoverview-tab

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #46 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

Thanks for the input.  Yes I would describe the Bics as very "in my face" treble which honestly seemed a little bit too much, especially since I do like listening to my music pretty loud at times.  What you said makes me want to give the Martinlogan Motion 40s more consideration with the folded ribbon tweeter.  I have found a used pair for $800 which is the same as two PSB T5s would cost me.  Regarding the Fluance XL7F and PSB Image T5, from everything I've read they both have a more "laid back" treble.  So far it seems like the PSBs might have slightly better highs and dispersion, based on all the reviews I've read, so I'm probably leaning in that direction.  But those Motion 40s are quite a steal at $800 I'd think. 

You might want to review this article on the 40's. There are some caveats that you should be aware of before pulling the trigger. That said, they look beautiful and clearly are a very high quality speaker. i like their choice of using 2 6.5" woofers vs 1 larger woofer. Keeping up with the speed of the tweeter is job 1 for the rest of the frequency range and it appears that they have succeeded. Keep us posted!

http://hometheaterreview.com/martinlogan-motion-40-loudspeakers-reviewed/
post #47 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:

.  But those Motion 40s are quite a steal at $800 I'd think. 

If you like and want the Motion 40 - then they may float your boat - they do not have the best balanced
frequency response - they have a big boost from 500 to 1000 khz, to flavor the lower midrange.

Whenever possible, the best audition is in home - your call, they are still a nice option for $800 a pair.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #48 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had been going back and forth between quite a few different floorstanding speakers and a couple different pairs of bookshelves.  Driving myself crazy really.  Needed to make a decision so I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the PSB Image T5 towers and Image C5 center channel.  Cost me $1,100 and eventually I'll probably add the matching bookshelves.  Need to pick up an AVR and I'll be in business.  Want to thank everybody for their input.  It's hard making a decision because there are so many good products out there.  I was really looking at the Boston Acoustics M340, Paradigm Monitor 7, Fluance XL7F, Martin Logan Motion 40, among others.  Actually I think the best choice for me for the money would have been the Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65 bookshelves, but I was kinda stuck on getting towers and something about the PSBs kept lingering in my mind.  I'll probably post an update after I receive them with my thoughts and maybe some pics if anyone's interested.  Thanks again.

post #49 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As long as you can place them properly, towers can be nice for the additional dynamics. I'm sure you'll really enjoy them. That will be a nice speaker set to go with the subs you are thinking about. smile.gif

post #50 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Well, I had been going back and forth between quite a few different floorstanding speakers and a couple different pairs of bookshelves.  Driving myself crazy really.  Needed to make a decision so I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the PSB Image T5 towers and Image C5 center channel.  Cost me $1,100 and eventually I'll probably add the matching bookshelves.  Need to pick up an AVR and I'll be in business.  Want to thank everybody for their input.  It's hard making a decision because there are so many good products out there.  I was really looking at the Boston Acoustics M340, Paradigm Monitor 7, Fluance XL7F, Martin Logan Motion 40, among others.  Actually I think the best choice for me for the money would have been the Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65 bookshelves, but I was kinda stuck on getting towers and something about the PSBs kept lingering in my mind.  I'll probably post an update after I receive them with my thoughts and maybe some pics if anyone's interested.  Thanks again.

Yes, please do post your results. It will be interesting how they all compare. Congrats on the new setup!

DL000 likes this.

My setup:

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #51 of 56 Old 03-17-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Finally got my PSB speakers in the mail today after a long wait.  Designer Audio Video has some good prices but I can't say much for their shipping.  Their free shipping option is stated between 7-14 days; they waited 10 days to even process my order, and it actually took 17 days to receive it.  Anyway, after a quick hook up I like what I hear.  I'll definitely stick with these PSBs.  The T5 looks so small in person!  When I unwrapped it, it actually made me laugh at how tiny the woofers look.  First thing I thought is that maybe I should have went with the T6 instead!  But I'll be keeping these T5s and C5.  I'm going out of town tomorrow for a week, but when I come back I'll post some pics and further opinion when I get everything set up in their intended room.  

post #52 of 56 Old 08-12-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How can people be hating on BIC so much? Seem like an incredible speaker regardless of the price, and they happen to be quite affordable relatively speaking.
post #53 of 56 Old 08-12-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I never did post any pics or updates here. I'm going to take some pics tomorrow if case anyone would like to see...
post #54 of 56 Old 08-12-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL000 View Post
Oh I never did post any pics or updates here. I'm going to take some pics tomorrow if case anyone would like to see...
Great. Everyone loves it when someone shares pictures of new setups

post #55 of 56 Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok here are a few pics of my set-up. The room is my newly finished basement but it's not 100% complete yet. And don't mind that small TV; I'm in the market for a 65 or 70 inch! The subwoofer is a Boston Acoustics ASW650 that I just recently picked up, and I quite like it. The subwoofer hidden on the other side is my Infinity Primus from upstairs I was just doing some comparisons with. I'd like to pick up another matching ASW650 though. In the rear of the room those are some in-wall Boston Acoustics as well. I am happy with my choice of PSB. They sound pretty good and are nice looking speakers IMO. No regrets yet, but if anything I would have set the design of the room up a little differently. For now it definitely suits the purpose of just hanging out, watching some movies and listening to music.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0746.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	214641   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0747.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	214649   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0756.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	214657   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0755.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	214665   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0751.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	214673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0762.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	214681  
zieglj01 likes this.
post #56 of 56 Old 08-16-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Bic Acoustech Pl 66 Surround Speakers Pair , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker , Focal Chorus 717v , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Bic America Fh6 Lcr Dual 6 5 Inch 175 Watt Lcr Speaker With Mid High Frequency Horn
Gear in this thread