Hey guys... advice please :) Trying to make speaker selections! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read my post here.  

I'm close to being done "finishing" my basement and will be setting up living room/entertainment type room for watching movies, listening to music, and just hanging out in general.  It's not necessarily a dedicated "home theater."  I'm not looking to break my bank account here, but I want the best setup I can get for the money I spend.  I plan on running a 5.2 setup with dual subs from SVS.  I havent decided on which subs yet (leaning toward dual PC12-NSD) but they will be dual SVS for sure, that much I've decided on.  As far as the speakers, I actually had decided to give the BIC Acoustech line a try.  Ordered the PL-89s, PL-28 and PL-66s.  Received them in the mail a few days ago, and honestly was fairly disappointed.  I just didn't like the sound that was coming out, particularly from the tweeter.  It seems overpowering and at the same time, lacks the clarity and "airiness" if that's a word.  They seemed like they might be pretty good for TV and movies, as the vocals and everything was coming through loud and clear.  But for music, I just didn't like the blaring vocals, which seemed too loud and lacking that delicate touch.  I know that giving the speakers break-in time and adjusting EQ settings, etc would probably have provided me with some improvement, but after a few hard days of deliberation, I decided these just weren't the speakers I was looking for.  I'm no audiophile, but out of all the speakers I've had, these probably sound the worst to me right out of the box, even compared to cheaper speakers I've had.  I will see if I can return them or even possibly resell them, and I'm ready to try again!

Basically, I'm not too worried about a low end, because the dual SVS subs will more than handle that area.  I really want the best mids and clear airy (but not overpowering) highs I can get for my modest budget.  For my main fronts I don't want to spend much over $500 and I'd say my limit would be $1000, and then ideally a matching center and surrounds as well.  I'm also fairly selective about asthetics, and which ever speakers I choose are going to dictate how I will decorate the rest of the room (wall colors, furniture, carpet, etc).  I've been looking into the Fluance XL series, dark walnut color to be exact.  I know these are not the best speakers but for the price they seem like they might be hard to beat.  They've got some pretty good professional reviews and as far as looks I think they're gorgeous.  But I'm open to suggestions for some of the best speakers in my price range?  I should also mention my room in 12 x 26 with a fairly low ceiling, and my usage will be about 50/50 music and movies.  As far as an AVR, I plan on picking up a 7.2... like possibly the Onkyo TX-NR626.

For anyone who read all of that, thanks for your time and any input is appreciated! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
The BICs are considered a good price/performance value because they play very loud for the money, not for their SQ. With a bigger budget, there are certainly much better sounding speakers.

There is a good deal on Focal Chorus 717V and the CC701 center. You'd have to find some 705V or 706V from another source.

EMP Tek makes some nice towers and has matching components.

post #3 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The BICs are considered a good price/performance value because they play very loud for the money, not for their SQ. With a bigger budget, there are certainly much better sounding speakers.

Yeah I notice that now.  I had thought the high sensitivity would be a good thing, but they seemed a little too "loud," and probably overkill for my medium size room.

post #4 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL000 View Post

Yeah I notice that now.  I had thought the high sensitivity would be a good thing, but they seemed a little too "loud," and probably overkill for my medium size room.

Most people don't need that. If speakers sound REALLY good, they are very pleasant at more moderate volumes and make us very happy smile.gif

post #5 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

There is a good deal on Focal Chorus 717V and the CC701 center. You'd have to find some 705V or 706V from another source.

EMP Tek makes some nice towers and has matching components.
Focal 705V in black

ListenUp is a great vendor, they have some Focal stuff. The on wall SR700V is the only thing that's in stock for surrounds etc.
post #6 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links.  I'm checking out everything and reading lots of different reviews.  A couple other I'm interested in are the KEF Q700 and the PSB T5.  They're up into the higher end of my price range, or even a little over in regards to the KEF, but I'd be willing to go there for a significant increase in performance.  Anybody have thoughts on those two speakers?  

Another question I have is, how much of a benefit is there in a speaker going above 20kh on the high end?  Does it make a noticeable difference?

post #7 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Another question I have is, how much of a benefit is there in a speaker going above 20kh on the high end?  Does it make a noticeable difference?

How old are you? Most men as they get older can't hear that high. Even if you can hear that high, I would doubt that it would add anything to the audio quality experience--but it has been a while since I could hear that well smile.gif

Look at this chart (it's interactive; use your mouse), and you'll see that with music, it will not matter. Then again, maybe it's important that your speakers accurately reproduce the full range of a mosquito's buzz wink.gif

post #8 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Monitor Audio Silver RX-1 in rosenut, or walnut
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/monitor_special.htm

For a little more the RX-2

I prefer Monitor Audio over PSB

If you are getting a subwoofer, bookshelves will work fine

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How old are you? Most men as they get older can't hear that high. Even if you can hear that high, I would doubt that it would add anything to the audio quality experience--but it has been a while since I could hear that well smile.gif

Look at this chart (it's interactive; use your mouse), and you'll see that with music, it will not matter. Then again, maybe it's important that your speakers accurately reproduce the full range of a mosquito's buzz wink.gif

Lol.  I know the limit of human hearing is 20kh, well... maybe about 23kh for me!  But "they" say that a speaker that goes above that (up to 30 or 40kh), even though you can't actually hear those frequencies, it add a crispness to the high end.  But yeah I'm guessing if there is any noticeable difference, it's negligible. 

post #10 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"They" say all kinds of things about home audio. People here don't worry about that--well, except for Bose speakers which have no tweeter. LOL

post #11 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Liked: 12
I had the same experience with the BIC FH6-LCR, just loud with bad SQ. I have the Pioneer Andrew Jones 1st gen center, MUCH better than the BIC.
post #12 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB30 View Post

I had the same experience with the BIC FH6-LCR, just loud with bad SQ. I have the Pioneer Andrew Jones 1st gen center, MUCH better than the BIC.

Yeah I really wanted to love my Bics, but it just wasn't meant to be.  Now I'm racking my brain trying to choose their replacement.  I want to place an order by tomorrow.  Still leaning toward to Fluance XL7F for $450 a pair, but looking at a few speakers double that price... wondering how much improvement I'll get for double the money.  Would the PSB T5 or the KEF Q700 or even the Boston Acoustic M340 be a lot better than the Fluances?

post #13 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Still leaning toward to Fluance XL7F for $450 a pair, but looking at a few speakers double that price... wondering how much improvement I'll get for double the money.  Would the PSB T5 or the KEF Q700 or even the Boston Acoustic M340 be a lot better than the Fluances?
I would aim higher than the Fluance

The Bostom M340 - buy one and get one free, is hard to over-look

PSB and KEF are also decent.

post #14 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Been looking for advice myself (though my situation a lil diff). Nevertheless, I keep getting told to check out Dali Zensor 1 or 3 speakers - the reviews seem to back that advice up - maybe you could audition them as well.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/dali-zensor-1
post #15 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM

Liked: 12

Some of the guys here switched me from wanting the BIC set to getting a set of ARX speakers (the A3rx-c LR and the A2rx-c C) found at chanemusiccinema.com

I can honestly say I'm glad they did! The speakers sound great, the customer service has been out of this world (Jon, the end-all-be-all speaker guru/wizard/magician/etc. helped me out with the order process personally)!

You should definitely snoop around their website. The A5's won the $1000 speaker shootout on hometheatershack.com, and John said the A3's are constructed to the same standards, so I think you'll be impressed. There are rumors (not to stir the pot) that Jon may be working on a dedicated surround/surround-back option (rather than look at the A1's), but I am definitely not a person to quote on the matter...

Hope this helps.

post #16 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The Bostom M340 - buy one and get one free, is hard to over-look

Yeah I'm really tempted with that!  And if you guy a pair of towers (buy 1 get 1) they will give you a pretty good deal on a center and surrounds.  I was talking to live chat and they are offering me a pretty good discount.  That being said, the Boston Acoustics would still cost me more than I was planning on spending!  Wondering if they are really worth the money...

post #17 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Monitor Audio Silver RX-1 in rosenut, or walnut
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/monitor_special.htm

For a little more the RX-2

I prefer Monitor Audio over PSB

If you are getting a subwoofer, bookshelves will work fine

These would be a great choice, but he'll have trouble finding the center to match.
post #18 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

These would be a great choice, but he'll have trouble finding the center to match.

Just buy another pair and use one as a center channel - it will be cheaper and sound better
than the regular center channel - and if any problems, you do have that spare speaker.

post #19 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah I'm really tempted with that!  And if you guy a pair of towers (buy 1 get 1) they will give you a pretty good deal on a center and surrounds.  I was talking to live chat and they are offering me a pretty good discount.  That being said, the Boston Acoustics would still cost me more than I was planning on spending!  Wondering if they are really worth the money...

Well, somebody replaced their Sonus Faber Cremona speakers with them.

Your call

post #20 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's seems quite difficult to find many decent reviews on any of the Boston Acoustic M series speakers.  So that's a big jump for me to take (and a decent chunk of change) without much to go on.

post #21 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well it's seems quite difficult to find many decent reviews on any of the Boston Acoustic M series speakers.  So that's a big jump for me to take (and a decent chunk of change) without much to go on.

No one can make that decision except you - I will hands down take these over Bic

A subjective review
http://jb-sitest.blogspot.com/2012/11/new-boston-m340-review.html

post #22 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Seriously? You can't find good reviews on Boston's?  LMAO what hole did you crawl out of? First you order the Bic's and give them not even a fair shake (old receiver, crappy room, No EQ, No break in,etc, etc, etc.) People tell you recommendations left and right and you second uses them and keep referring back to speakers that may be on the Bic's level but doubtful. Then someone recommends you Boston's, one of the biggest names for SQ speakers and your second guessing them?

Honestly guys, he doesn't have a clue what he want's. He thinks some crap old book shelve Sony's are better sounding than the Bic's. Give me a freaking break. Mr. DL000, go to your nearest audio store, listen to the dime store cash register jockey tell you what is the best and buy them so you will be happy and quit waisting everyone's time.

My setup:

Yamaha RX-V773 with WIFI & Bluetooth

Bic Acoustech PL-28 II center

Bic Acoustech PL-76 Newversion tower fronts

Bose 601 Series IV towers rear

Cerwin-Vega ATS-SAT4 front presence

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #23 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

How old are you? Most men as they get older can't hear that high.
And keep in mind that "older" for this purpose means 30 years old.
post #24 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post

Seriously? You can't find good reviews on Boston's?  LMAO what hole did you crawl out of? First you order the Bic's and give them not even a fair shake (old receiver, crappy room, No EQ, No break in,etc, etc, etc.) People tell you recommendations left and right and you second uses them and keep referring back to speakers that may be on the Bic's level but doubtful. Then someone recommends you Boston's, one of the biggest names for SQ speakers and your second guessing them?

Honestly guys, he doesn't have a clue what he want's. He thinks some crap old book shelve Sony's are better sounding than the Bic's. Give me a freaking break. Mr. DL000, go to your nearest audio store, listen to the dime store cash register jockey tell you what is the best and buy them so you will be happy and quit waisting everyone's time.

woah woah, I never said I'm an audio expert, thus my reason for coming here and asking some advice.  Yes true, I dont know what I want, and am trying to figure that out!  And yes, I cannot find many reputable reviews on the Boston Acoustics M Series speakers!  I found a few people saying, "these speakers are awesome" or, "these speakers suck."  Not much to go off of to make an informed decision.  Matter of fact, regarding their MCenter and MSurround, all I found was mostly negative sentiment around them.  I do want a matching speaker line, so I'm trying to take all of this into consideration.  Instead of chiming in to condescend, you could have gave some advice or your opinion.  I was asking if the more expensive Boston Acoustics, PSBs, KEFs would be a significant improvement over the cheaper Fluance for the extra money.  I'm trying to find a balance between performance, value and asthetics.  Some people here gave great advice and links, but many of them did not pass my "looks" test.  And lastly, I already admitted right off the bat that I did not give the Bics a fair shake.  But I've never heard speakers out of the box that sounded that bad.  Yes my cheap Sony bookshelves in my bedroom sound better IMO, so that being said, why would I want to keep the Bics!  

post #25 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Seriously? You can't find good reviews on Boston's?  LMAO what hole did you crawl out of?

Dude, you should go back in your hole and chill for a while.

post #26 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

woah woah, I never said I'm an audio expert, thus my reason for coming here and asking some advice.  Yes true, I dont know what I want, and am trying to figure that out!  And yes, I cannot find many reputable reviews on the Boston Acoustics M Series speakers!  I found a few people saying, "these speakers are awesome" or, "these speakers suck."  Not much to go off of to make an informed decision.  Matter of fact, regarding their MCenter and MSurround, all I found was mostly negative sentiment around them.  I do want a matching speaker line, so I'm trying to take all of this into consideration.  Instead of chiming in to condescend, you could have gave some advice or your opinion.  I was asking if the more expensive Boston Acoustics, PSBs, KEFs would be a significant improvement over the cheaper Fluance for the extra money.  I'm trying to find a balance between performance, value and asthetics.  

It is rare to find all perfect reviews on speakers- human nature is human nature - also some people are use to listening
to some sloppy frequency response sounding speakers - they can be thrown off, by some good sounding speakers that
will have a more smooth response. I have owned several Boston speakers, it is hard for them to make a bad speaker.
However as in all things Audio - some people may not prefer them. > When looking at reviews, you have to learn to eat
the fish and spit out the bones.

One way to test is to buy the Boston M25 bookshelf - if you like it - then send them back and exchange for the towers.

The only way you learn about sound vs looks and etc; is from experience. I have owned many, many speakers and some
that do not look the best, can sound better than those that do look better.

post #27 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Humor me one more time here... This may be a deciding factor for me.  With speakers ported in the rear, it's generally advised to keep them at least a couple feet off of the wall, correct?  This may not be ideal for my setup.  The XL7F, M340, and quite a few others are rear ported, whereas the PSB Image line is ported in the front.  Is it safe to say these would generally play better if placed close to a wall?  Or am I off base here?  

post #28 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Ported speakres only need a few inches for the port to breath properly.....BUT almost all speakers sound best when they are at least a foot off of any walls....... For instance my Acoustech PL-89s which are front ported sound best when they are 12" away from side wall and 18" from front wall. Having speakers too close to walls can collapse the spread of the sound stage and it can dramatically change the frequency response of the speakers in the room.
DL000 likes this.

Shawn
post #29 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I also some people are use to listening to some sloppy frequency response sounding speakers - they can be thrown off, by some good sounding speakers that
will have a more smooth response. 

I tried telling him that exact thing over on the BIC thread. He supposedly has a full on Infinity Primus set-up in another room. ....and I quote,"To answer your question I was listening to my ipod... a variety of different songs that sound outstanding in my living room (Infinity Primus), bedroom ( Sony SS series), headphones (Yurbubs), and vehicle (THX speaker system). " 

Do you like the Infinity's? What about them do you like? Is this what you are trying to match or exceed?  

You said you liked the "looks" of the BIC's, why?  What about the looks drew you to them? Why not instead, the very similar looking Klipsch RF series? Price? Well you can upgrade to those and get the "look" you are looking for.

I did not have the funds at the time I bought my BIC's and still don't but I am not in the least disappointed with them. However, some of the other speakers I was seriously considering were:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-590-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B0060IG3R0/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1393527817&sr=1-4&keywords=jbl+speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-777-3-Way-Reflex-Speaker/dp/B0000W4U2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393527975&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+777+speakers

And if I really had some funds:

http://www.amazon.com/Pair-Bowers-Wilkins-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B000XR8WQO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1393528182&sr=8-5&keywords=bowers+wilkins+speakers

I only used Amazon as a fast place to find links, not saying that is the best price or place to buy. The ones above I would consider to be good looking speakers that are different looking that could compare with the BIC/Klipsch look. The piano Black finish on the Yamaha's is superb as Yamaha is known for.  The B&W's are just amazing speakers and the JBL's have gotten rave reviews on here and would have been what I bought had I had the money.

My setup:

Yamaha RX-V773 with WIFI & Bluetooth

Bic Acoustech PL-28 II center

Bic Acoustech PL-76 Newversion tower fronts

Bose 601 Series IV towers rear

Cerwin-Vega ATS-SAT4 front presence

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #30 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do you like the Infinity's? What about them do you like? Is this what you are trying to match or exceed?  

Yes I'm satisfied with my infinitys.  They're nice looking and matching my living room decor (this is important for me, maybe it's a bit of OCD) and the sound is good.  I really can't complain.  I know they're not high end speakers but I like they way they sound.  Yes I want to at least match them or preferably exceed them as I plan to do more movie watching and music listening in my new room.

Quote:

You said you liked the "looks" of the BIC's, why?  What about the looks drew you to them? Why not instead, the very similar looking Klipsch RF series? Price? Well you can upgrade to those and get the "look" you are looking for.

I like the Bics big and bold design, all black with the champagne colored cones, dual woofers with a giant front port, the huge center channel to fit into my large tv stand, they just appealed to me.  But of course I'm not going to select speakers based only on looks.  I had read so many great reviews on the Acoustech speakers.  After hearing them, I just feel like they are not what I want.  Kind of want to go with a dome tweeter.  I think maybe the horn tweeter combined with the high sensitivity was not right for me.  No offense to any Bic fans, my dad was a huge old school Bic fan, but I want to go in another direction.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Bic Acoustech Pl 66 Surround Speakers Pair , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker , Focal Chorus 717v , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Bic America Fh6 Lcr Dual 6 5 Inch 175 Watt Lcr Speaker With Mid High Frequency Horn
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page