Behringer Eurolive B215XL 15" 2-Way as L/R Mains - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 450 Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Member
 
10dbdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Did you not like the CX-10's that you bought?

I like the cx10's but they were sent so I could hear the radian driver before blindly getting the 15's. I'm in line with a few others to get the cx15's. Even if the Cx15's fill my audio Nirvana, I will always wonder what the Behringers can do. So I will still order a pair.
10dbdown is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 450 Old 09-24-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,133
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dbdown View Post
I like the cx10's but they were sent so I could hear the radian driver before blindly getting the 15's. I'm in line with a few others to get the cx15's. Even if the Cx15's fill my audio Nirvana, I will always wonder what the Behringers can do. So I will still order a pair.
Oh okay gotcha. I think you and I will be getting the cx-15's around the same time. Should be interesting to hear them
jbrown15 is online now  
post #423 of 450 Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Member
 
TheGiantPeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Has anyone heard both the b215xl's and any of the DIY seos speakers like the Tempests? Looks like those would cost about twice as much and with as much praise as the Behringers are getting, I can't imagine the Tempests being worth that much more. Just curious.
TheGiantPeach is online now  
post #424 of 450 Old 09-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Member
 
10dbdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantPeach View Post
Has anyone heard both the b215xl's and any of the DIY seos speakers like the Tempests? Looks like those would cost about twice as much and with as much praise as the Behringers are getting, I can't imagine the Tempests being worth that much more. Just curious.
Have not heard the SEOS Tempest but the specs say the bass response is substantially lower than the B215xl's
10dbdown is offline  
post #425 of 450 Old 09-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jeff in Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dbdown View Post
Have not heard the SEOS Tempest but the specs say the bass response is substantially lower than the B215xl's
Tempest can get fairly low. Starts dropping after 60 hz. For the B12XL I think you would want to cut them off at 100hz with a sub and I think based on teh measurements for the 15 you need a bit of EQ in spots for HT.

That being said, I'm going to purchase a pair or B12's in the next 3 weeks for use in a TV room and use them for movie nights at my daughters school. They are nice.

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Jeff in Canada is offline  
post #426 of 450 Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Member
 
TheGiantPeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dbdown View Post
Have not heard the SEOS Tempest but the specs say the bass response is substantially lower than the B215xl's
Not sure where you're getting your specs from, but I was under the impression that the Tempests were flat until pretty low.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...-expected.html

Regardless, bass response is a non-issue for me since I can cross my subs higher if I need to if I got the Behringers.
TheGiantPeach is online now  
post #427 of 450 Old 09-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Member
 
10dbdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you have subs, then it's all about if you like the 215xl upper frequency response and dispersion. At the price for a pair, it makes sense to try them.
10dbdown is offline  
post #428 of 450 Old 09-25-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tuxedocivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Posts: 4,855
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantPeach View Post
Has anyone heard both the b215xl's and any of the DIY seos speakers like the Tempests? Looks like those would cost about twice as much and with as much praise as the Behringers are getting, I can't imagine the Tempests being worth that much more. Just curious.
Disclaimer, I'm a SEOS fanboy and I've only briefly heard the B212. But I like to think I'm a fanboy because it's a good design...

One of the added values of a SEOS design over the Berry is the horn type, which is oblate spheroid and also super elliptical. So you have an extremely low diffraction horn with close center to center spacing with the woofer. You also have a horn throat that is angle matched to the exit angle of the compression driver.

On top of that you have a cross over designed for home use rather than pro use. There are certain trade offs made with those goals, one of them being that the Berry probably crosses over higher than it should for true high fidelity. I've blabbed on about this in this thread before so I'll spare you the details.

One last difference would be the quality of components. You get a titanium diaphram in the Berry which can ring. The woofers in the SEOS designs are superior, so less distortion and better bass capability. And the port tunings are lower, so further away from your subwoofer XO.

I will concede that the details that separate the two speaker types are subtle and not easily heard without time and experience. They're not readily noticed on short listening sessions, and could possibly even be mistaken as better sound when the opposite would be realised with time. For instance, the speaker with less baffle step compensation may sound louder and more detailed, but two weeks later you may change your mind.

No doubt though, the Berrys are incredible value. I mean, I could not build a pair of speaker remotely like it for the price.
tuxedocivic is online now  
post #429 of 450 Old 09-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Member
 
TheGiantPeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Disclaimer, I'm a SEOS fanboy and I've only briefly heard the B212. But I like to think I'm a fanboy because it's a good design...

One of the added values of a SEOS design over the Berry is the horn type, which is oblate spheroid and also super elliptical. So you have an extremely low diffraction horn with close center to center spacing with the woofer. You also have a horn throat that is angle matched to the exit angle of the compression driver.

On top of that you have a cross over designed for home use rather than pro use. There are certain trade offs made with those goals, one of them being that the Berry probably crosses over higher than it should for true high fidelity. I've blabbed on about this in this thread before so I'll spare you the details.

One last difference would be the quality of components. You get a titanium diaphram in the Berry which can ring. The woofers in the SEOS designs are superior, so less distortion and better bass capability. And the port tunings are lower, so further away from your subwoofer XO.

I will concede that the details that separate the two speaker types are subtle and not easily heard without time and experience. They're not readily noticed on short listening sessions, and could possibly even be mistaken as better sound when the opposite would be realised with time. For instance, the speaker with less baffle step compensation may sound louder and more detailed, but two weeks later you may change your mind.

No doubt though, the Berrys are incredible value. I mean, I could not build a pair of speaker remotely like it for the price.
I really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to write them out.
martinq likes this.
TheGiantPeach is online now  
post #430 of 450 Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thx for this thread it's a real eye opener, now I have to reconsider my options
OdinGOW is offline  
post #431 of 450 Old 09-29-2014, 05:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey, so for a small room like 13x11' and a svs pb-1000 would you still recommend these speakers for HT setup?
OdinGOW is offline  
post #432 of 450 Old 09-29-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,056
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinGOW View Post
Hey, so for a small room like 13x11' and a svs pb-1000 would you still recommend these speakers for HT setup?
Absolutely. I tested the PB1000 with the B215s in my own room, which is 11x20 feet, but I only use an 11x14 are for my system. It sounded excellent.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #433 of 450 Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,056
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 2774
Open baffle mod B215XL

Here's where I ended up with the B215s. The only catch is I have to use a very beefy amp—in my case a Crown XTi-2002—to handle the EQ curve required to make this work. However, the B215s have plenty of reserve capacity, and they convert that extra power into very tight, clean bass that extends deep enough to use a 50 Hz crossover. I'm more than thrilled with the resulting sound, and it's a bonus that the speakers no longer take up much space. I probably should have picked something a bit classier than cinder blocks, but they do work very well. I used hot melt glue to put them together.











Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com

Last edited by imagic; 09-29-2014 at 02:14 PM.
imagic is online now  
post #434 of 450 Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NicksHitachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,700
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Here's where I ended up with me B215s. The only catch is I have to use a very beefy amp—in my case a Crown XTi-2002—to handle the EQ curve required to make this work. However, the B215s have plenty of reserve capacity, and they convert that extra power into very tight, clean bass that extends deep enough to use a 50 Hz crossover. I'm more than thrilled with the resulting sound, and it's a bonus that the speakers no longer take up much space. I probably should have picked something a bit classier than cinder blocks, but they do work very well. I used hot melt glue to put them together, fwiw.










Pretty cool. I'd be interested to hear your impressions after mounting those into like a 2' wide open baffle..... It looks like there are already screw holes. Youd just have to cut some holes in a 2' plywood panel and screw the two together. Something like 6' tall 2' wide with cutouf for behringer baffle to stick through.... That would give you stands and more baffle width which should help.

If you did that you also could then push them back into the corner which would kinda t-line load them, idk how it would sound but it looks like your into experimenting so might be a fun experiment....
NicksHitachi is online now  
post #435 of 450 Old 09-29-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,056
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
Pretty cool. I'd be interested to hear your impressions after mounting those into like a 2' wide open baffle..... It looks like there are already screw holes. Youd just have to cut some holes in a 2' plywood panel and screw the two together. Something like 6' tall 2' wide with cutouf for behringer baffle to stick through.... That would give you stands and more baffle width which should help.

If you did that you also could then push them back into the corner which would kinda t-line load them, idk how it would sound but it looks like your into experimenting so might be a fun experiment....
Yes, the ease with which they can be mounted on a baffle did not escape me. That's what's next! However, I'll probably rock these as-is for a little while.
NicksHitachi and DocOrange88 like this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #436 of 450 Old 10-01-2014, 01:50 AM
Member
 
Hifisound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Comparison with Sentinels will be nice (whenever it happens)

Also 215D should beam less at higher frequencies due to smaller tweeter....

Hifisound is online now  
post #437 of 450 Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,924
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Something I have noticed about pro speakers. Their bass response is always poorer than home audio speakers in spite of using large bass drivers. I suppose it's assume you will use a bass cab with them. I assume that many people would still use a powered sub, so it's not a knock, and there's probably different ways to measure response ( such as in room, etc.) Just found it interesting to see PA cabs with 15" drivers and bass response to 40hz when a lot of home audio floorstanders are down to 30

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is offline  
post #438 of 450 Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Member
 
Hifisound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
Something I have noticed about pro speakers. Their bass response is always poorer than home audio speakers in spite of using large bass drivers. I suppose it's assume you will use a bass cab with them. I assume that many people would still use a powered sub, so it's not a knock, and there's probably different ways to measure response ( such as in room, etc.) Just found it interesting to see PA cabs with 15" drivers and bass response to 40hz when a lot of home audio floorstanders are down to 30
I think that's a trade-off for high sensitivity.
dwaleke likes this.

Hifisound is online now  
post #439 of 450 Old 10-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Member
 
Hifisound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is also an 8" B208D. Wonder how it compares to their very popular 2031A...

Hifisound is online now  
post #440 of 450 Old 10-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifisound View Post
I think that's a trade-off for high sensitivity.
It is.
dwaleke is offline  
post #441 of 450 Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Member
 
DocOrange88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
It is.
That's not really true. The JBL 3677 is the closest speaker I would compare these guys to. The JBL 3677 blows the B215XL out of the water and of course the B212XL with bass and it has a 99db rating.

It has all to do with the cab it's in. Seeing as superman aka imagic has taken his apart. Maybe we can try seeing what the parts do in a larger enclosure.

I am pretty sure we have discussed this and most of us now agree the cab is the problem...no unlike using car audio subs in a car audio box...it does limit the response.

However for the price, good luck beating them, I really don't think you can unless you look to the JBL 3677 which a lot of us where until getting these.
DocOrange88 is offline  
post #442 of 450 Old 10-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Member
 
subbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice thread and will follow for sure
subbass is offline  
post #443 of 450 Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Member
 
eggyhustles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been loving these more and more every day after 2 months of ownership

A couple days ago I was offered a pair of JBL JRX125 for $300.

Would these be a worthwhile upgrade?

Last edited by eggyhustles; 10-17-2014 at 05:51 PM.
eggyhustles is offline  
post #444 of 450 Old 10-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Member
 
Wahoo_envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can these speakers play well crossed at 65hz? I have never cared much for higher crossovers due to being able to localize male vocals to the sub(s). I suppose this becomes less of a problem if the subs are symmetrically located with the front stage. I have been considering replacing my L/R Paradigm Studio 100s and Studio 20 center for a high efficiency waveguide/compression driver set up. I currently have 4 NHT Super 2s for surround duty and seriously considering the Volt 8s or Fusion 8 Alchemys.
Wahoo_envy is online now  
post #445 of 450 Old 10-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Member
 
brianstrawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Glad to see there is still interest here. Just last night I ordered four 212XLs to go from five channels to nine. Planning on the additions to serve as wides and heights. I am still extremely happy with the 215XLs as my LCR.
imagic likes this.
brianstrawberry is offline  
post #446 of 450 Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,056
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstrawberry View Post
Glad to see there is still interest here. Just last night I ordered four 212XLs to go from five channels to nine. Planning on the additions to serve as wides and heights. I am still extremely happy with the 215XLs as my LCR.
Wow! Can you post a photo when you finish the install? I need to see that!

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #447 of 450 Old 10-22-2014, 07:52 AM
Member
 
brianstrawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Wow! Can you post a photo when you finish the install? I need to see that!
Absolutely, I am excited to see (and hear) it myself.
brianstrawberry is offline  
post #448 of 450 Old 10-22-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstrawberry View Post
Glad to see there is still interest here. Just last night I ordered four 212XLs to go from five channels to nine. Planning on the additions to serve as wides and heights. I am still extremely happy with the 215XLs as my LCR.
Why not add on 4 more for Atmos ceiling channels?
Skylinestar is offline  
post #449 of 450 Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Member
 
brianstrawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Why not add on 4 more for Atmos ceiling channels?
We will see how this goes first, it will be my first experience with anything more than five channels. I'm also limited by the x4000...
brianstrawberry is offline  
post #450 of 450 Old 10-22-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Just to add to the spirit of this "PA" thread:

I just jumped in feet first with ELEVEN JBL EON 612's and I can attest to the absolutely fantastic sound possible with these "PA" styled loudspeakers. I actually listened to the berry's and JBL' and preferred the JBLs (albeit at a $450 msrp), but they're powered (1000 WATTS) and are simply probably more of a speaker at almost triple the cost.

Still though, these offer tremendous value!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Behringer B215xl Passive Speaker Pair , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Behringer , B 52 Lx 1515v3 1000w Dual 15 Pa Speaker , B 52 , Behringer Eurolive B212d Active 550 Watt 2 Way Pa Speaker System With 12 Inch Woofer And 1 35 Inch C
Gear in this thread - B212d by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off