Behringer Eurolive B215XL 15" 2-Way as L/R Mains - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 470 Old 10-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't remember if this has been answered already, but do these speakers do well at seating locations outside of the MLP or is the sweet spot more localized?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 470 Old 10-25-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Money Train View Post
I don't remember if this has been answered already, but do these speakers do well at seating locations outside of the MLP or is the sweet spot more localized?
By design I would imagine they would be more localized. Waveguide speakers have a more focused sound pattern.
post #453 of 470 Old 10-26-2014, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked: 2867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
By design I would imagine they would be more localized. Waveguide speakers have a more focused sound pattern.
Its dispersion is wide enough to cover typical home theater seating, not just the MLP.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #454 of 470 Old 10-26-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Its dispersion is wide enough to cover typical home theater seating, not just the MLP.

I'm not saying it won't, but I wouldn't want one 2ft from my head as a surround. I know they are an excellent value but it wouldn't be my first choice as a surround. But I'm sure if someone wanted to use on as a surround it would work just fine, just wouldn't be something I'd want or something I would recommend to someone.

Last edited by jbrown15; 10-26-2014 at 12:29 AM.
post #455 of 470 Old 10-26-2014, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I'm not saying it won't, but I wouldn't want one 2ft from my head as a surround. I know they are an excellent value but it wouldn't be my first choice as a surround. But I'm sure if someone wanted to use on as a surround it would work just fine, just wouldn't be something I'd want or something I would recommend to someone.
I agree you on this. Unless you have a big room or you are going 5.1 and want to put two of these in the back corner, I might use them. I have an EOS 8 for side and rear surrounds. I'm going to move my sides to heights and rebuild my sides because I think that the dispersion is too tight for the sides. These would be way tighter.

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #456 of 470 Old 10-26-2014, 08:05 AM

Liked: 0
I have a pretty wide seating area with two rows about 6-8 seats across at 14-16 feet from the speakers. The room is 22'x19' (LCR on the 19' wall). It sounds like the Behringers may be tough in that space. Although given the seating distance, would that ameliorate some of the issues? I know the CX-10s have been talked about a lot on recent threads as well. I assume those would cast a wider sweet spot, correct?
post #457 of 470 Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Here is what I've come up with in my basement/media room this year. It has been a very fun project to plan and piece together. The Behringers sound really really good to me. There are three 215XLs behind the AT Falcon screen (excellent screen too BTW), and two sets of 212XL serving as heights and wides. Surrounds are Axiom QS8s and the subs are FV15HP Rythmik. Projector is a JVC RS-65 and the second/mirror screen is a 27" computer monitor on a swing arm to use when playing music or games. AVR is a Denon X4000 and an Oppo 103 is used for blurays.

Going from five channels to nine so far has been a blast! We watched Snowpiercer tonight and the train sounds created a pretty cool effect where it sounded like the room was riding along on the train. I am also having a lot of fun letting the Denon process Pandora on all channels as well.

Here are some pictures of the room, the first is right behind the MLP:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	342057

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	342065

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	342073

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	342081

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	342089

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	342097
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	342105  
imagic likes this.
post #458 of 470 Old Today, 08:22 AM

Liked: 10
For a 7.1.4 Atmos setup what would you recommend for ceiling speakers? My ceiling is not that high so i cannot get away with ceiling mounting these guys.
post #459 of 470 Old Today, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've just bought 3 of these and joined the club. Has anyone played around with trying to eq some more midbass out of these speakers? I have lots of power on tap so I want to see how low I can get them to play.
imagic likes this.
post #460 of 470 Old Today, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike12086 View Post
For a 7.1.4 Atmos setup what would you recommend for ceiling speakers? My ceiling is not that high so i cannot get away with ceiling mounting these guys.
I'm thinking hard about that. Wide dispersion is the main requirement for ceiling speakers, so Behringers, or any other horn-loaded design, would not be ideal anyway. I'm looking at high-quality bookshelf or satellite speakers that have some provision for mounting.

post #461 of 470 Old Today, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP View Post
I've just bought 3 of these and joined the club. Has anyone played around with trying to eq some more midbass out of these speakers? I have lots of power on tap so I want to see how low I can get them to play.
Yes, I switched for my AVR to a Crown XTi-2002 that has parametric EQ. If you are bold and have the power, you can get 'em to play flat down to 50 Hz or so with enough headroom to make yourself deaf. I have found usable output down to 35 Hz. The woofers are very under-utilized. The EQ compensation is not going to be subtle, and it would give an audiophile purist a heart-attack.

post #462 of 470 Old Today, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm thinking hard about that. Wide dispersion is the main requirement for ceiling speakers, so Behringers, or any other horn-loaded design, would not be ideal anyway. I'm looking at high-quality bookshelf or satellite speakers that have some provision for mounting.
When I made a comment about these speakers having a more focused dispersion and might not be ideal for surround use you said that it would be fine to use as surrounds. So if its goo enough to use as surrounds why not Atmos? They are both similar applications.
post #463 of 470 Old Today, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
When I made a comment about these speakers having a more focused dispersion and might not be ideal for surround use you said that it would be fine to use as surrounds. So if its good enough to use as surrounds why not Atmos? They are both similar applications.
But they are not similar applications at all. It's the vertical dispersion that's an issue with horn tweeters. The B215's cover the horizontal spread just fine, which works for regular surrounds. But on the ceiling, you want the same dispersion in all directions.

post #464 of 470 Old Today, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But they are not similar applications at all. It's the vertical dispersion that's an issue with horn tweeters. The B215's cover the horizontal spread just fine, which works for regular surrounds. But on the ceiling, you want the same dispersion in all directions.

Okay gotcha, I guess that's why lots of people are saying a good coax driver would make a good Atmos speaker.
imagic likes this.
post #465 of 470 Old Today, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I switched for my AVR to a Crown XTi-2002 that has parametric EQ. If you are bold and have the power, you can get 'em to play flat down to 50 Hz or so with enough headroom to make yourself deaf. I have found usable output down to 35 Hz. The woofers are very under-utilized. The EQ compensation is not going to be subtle, and it would give an audiophile purist a heart-attack.
Thanks, that is great to hear! I have an old Emotiva LPA-1 with 125 watts per channel that should give them some power. What setting did you use for your parametric EQ? I will probably start by using the parametric EQ that is built into my UMC-200.
post #466 of 470 Old Today, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Okay gotcha, I guess that's why lots of people are saying a good coax driver would make a good Atmos speaker.
That is 100% correct and Andrew Jones used coax drivers in his Atmos-enabled speakers for just that reason.

post #467 of 470 Old Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is 100% correct and Andrew Jones used coax drivers in his Atmos-enabled speakers for just that reason.

If I decide to go with Atmos I've already talked with Jeremy from Reaction Audio about it, I have his CX-15's and CX-8's in my theater right now and REALLY like them. He's using some really nice Radian coax drivers in his speakers, I'm sure they'd do nicely!...
imagic likes this.
post #468 of 470 Old Today, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP View Post
Thanks, that is great to hear! I have an old Emotiva LPA-1 with 125 watts per channel that should give them some power. What setting did you use for your parametric EQ? I will probably start by using the parametric EQ that is built into my UMC-200.
It's going to be room dependent, but you are going to have to cut at port tune and then boost below that. Below port tune the B215XL behaves like an open-baffle speaker, meaning it needs a huge boost to equalize it.

I removed the enclosures on my B215s, they run as actual open-baffle speakers not. My EQ curve is way different than what it would be with the enclosure on. I have mine boosted 6 dB at 50 Hz, with a Q of 1.

post #469 of 470 Old Today, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the help. Couple of questions.
What is the port tune of these speakers?
How would I setup a cut off using a parametric EQ? What would the highest frequency after this cut off that I could potentially start boosting?
Looks like I will need to break out my room eq wizard equipment again
post #470 of 470 Old Today, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Careful eq'ing and using any speaker below port tuning. Excursion rises very quickly and if you like big SPL and lots of bass, you may damage the woofer. Now, Behringer may have built in some kind of protection. Such as running out of BL at high excursion, or some kind of suspension arrestor. But then that means the speaker will heavily compress. Also, port tuning shift 90 degrees out of phase from the rest of the system, so sub integration becomes an issue. Just keep these things in mind. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
jbrown15 likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Behringer B215xl Passive Speaker Pair , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Behringer , B 52 Lx 1515v3 1000w Dual 15 Pa Speaker , B 52 , Behringer Eurolive B212d Active 550 Watt 2 Way Pa Speaker System With 12 Inch Woofer And 1 35 Inch C
Gear in this thread - B212d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page